Football betting site Betway

Match Discussion: Wales v Belarus - Friendly

edited September 10 in Wales
This is the place to discuss all things related to the Wales v Belarus Friendly on Monday 9 September 2019 at the Cardiff City Stadium.

Share your pre and post match thoughts, team selection and score prediction for the game.

Kick-off is at 7:45pm and the game will be shown live on S4C and Sky Sports.

Comments

• Was hoping Roberts, Rodon were gonna be wrapped in cotton wool for tonight ie not being risked. Expected Lockyear of Charlton and Guntz to start. This is the type of game where we'll get injuries to Swans lads
  • Daniel James master class, on how to curl a ball past a defender and a keeper, into the net. 
    £15 million my arse!!!!
    JoH
  • I've been critical of Giggs and many things about the national team lately but credit where it's due that was a much more encouraging performance.

Of course we perhaps should have killed them off which is a habit we still have to improve on.

Liked the look of Joe Morrell. He trusted his instincts instead of pissing about or playing safe. Put some great balls out to Dan James and Johnny Williams along with many other's tonight.
  • J4cka said:
    Daniel James master class, on how to curl a ball past a defender and a keeper, into the net. 
    £15 million my arse!!!!
    Whatever the "add-ons" were in this contract - I hope that most of them will be triggered. Much as in isolation this deal looks iffy - if you look at the last transfer window and waving goodbye to Dan and Ollie the reality is we are BOTH more stable financially and much improved on the pitch.

The original win-win deal in my opinion.
  • Have to agree. I thought we wouldn’t see most of the cash we achieved for them, being reinvested in the squad. 
    I think we have to give a massive thanks to Mr Birch for convincing the owners, for that turn around of our fortunes. 
    Who you Adam & Eve it, BB and AA back in the fold. 
    What ever next?
    Hope springs eternal. 
    Jackareme
  • With a new low attendance at the Cardiff city stadium for a Wales match; surely to be expected playing a friendly so soon after a qualifying match there.
    I had no idea where Belarus was even until I checked in an atlas.
    . It would have made far more sense to play at the Liberty last night. I'm certain more fans would have turned up if only to see Dan in action and support  Joe and Connor. Did Cardiff have any players in the team ?
    England have moved tonight's game to St Marys even though they will lose about 50,000 from the gate. Also the game against Kosovo isn't a friendly.
    I'm not sure why St Marys though.
    I would have thought Villa Park ,giving fans in the Midlands a chance to support England.

• Ok so looking at the table there is still a chance to come second. It would be an extraordinary set of results to come top if at all so I’m not even anticipating that one despite the game in hand. The friendly was encouraging from a performance point of view but I still feel that we would need more goals to beat the likes of Croatia and Slovakia. One thing’s for sure is that I want Giggs to prove me wrong for the sake of qualification. We have the talent and now it’s time to draw upon that for a successful campaign.
  • SeaJack said:
    Ok so looking at the table there is still a chance to come second. It would be an extraordinary set of results to come top if at all so I’m not even anticipating that one despite the game in hand. The friendly was encouraging from a performance point of view but I still feel that we would need more goals to beat the likes of Croatia and Slovakia. One thing’s for sure is that I want Giggs to prove me wrong for the sake of qualification. We have the talent and now it’s time to draw upon that for a successful campaign.
    Croatia could only manage a draw in Azer. We need to make them dropped points count.

• Perhaps a little bit of perspective is required.

We beat a team FIFA ranked at 109, that’s 85 places below us (FIFA Ranking 24) 1-0 at home in a friendly. Neither the result or the performance was particularly inspiring.

As a point of comparison Swansea beat Cambridge Utd 6-0 at home, with a complete change of players from those who have been playing so well in the Championship, and in League position, Cambridge Utd are ranked in league terms about 61 places below us.

If that is our standard how are we going to perform against Hungary (FIFA ranking 45) and Slovakia (FIFA ranking 31), never mind when we come up against Croatia (FIFA ranking 7).

• FiFA  rankings are almost meaningless when it come to the 90 minutes on the field and who would have thought Azerbaijan would have earned their first point in the competition last night when they drew with Croatia. 
    But there again, bags of cash via Azerbaijan's oil and gas reserves is being poured into sport and no  match against these developing countries can be taken for granted anymore.
  • Presumably so does league position but it didn’t stop us winning 6-0. FIFA Rankings do mean something.

Teams can either perform at their ranking, better than their ranking or worse than their ranking. In recent years we have been performing above our previous ranking and therefore managed to rise to about19. In the last 12-18 months we have been performing significantly below our current ranking and therefore we have already dropped to 24, and based on what we are seeing on the pitch, that is going to drop further.

Giggs needs to get us playing a consistent style that suits the players, or we will be sliding down the cliff edge very soon.
  • In all honesty if our FiFA ranking places us in 24th place it only goes to show how false that ranking actually is, based practically on Euro 2016. All it's good for is getting Wales into a better pot for the next competition draw

• Actually no, that is How the rankings work, if you perform well in qualifying for tournaments and perform well in the tournament then you get a ranking which reflects your results.

That’s why we got to about 19, since then we been slipping down currently to 24. The way we are playing and the results we are getting this will slip further unless we beat both Slovakia twice and Hungary once.
  • Perhaps a little bit of perspective is required.

We beat a team FIFA ranked at 109, that’s 85 places below us (FIFA Ranking 24) 1-0 at home in a friendly. Neither the result or the performance was particularly inspiring.

As a point of comparison Swansea beat Cambridge Utd 6-0 at home, with a complete change of players from those who have been playing so well in the Championship, and in League position, Cambridge Utd are ranked in league terms about 61 places below us.

If that is our standard how are we going to perform against Hungary (FIFA ranking 45) and Slovakia (FIFA ranking 31), never mind when we come up against Croatia (FIFA ranking 7).

I wish there was a yawn smiley sometimes.....and this is one of those times
  • @Pablo Don’t worry your Avatar, nicely covers it, and if it doesn’t then your posts certainly do.
    Mark_Jack_Londonbarry
  • edited September 10
    ouch! ha ha....oh well if you say so. 
    SpringheeledJack
  • I agree with people saying that the game yesterday shouldn't have been played where it did. As the racecourse holds Wales under 21s today and while the obvious option would be the Liberty, this was a chance to take it west to Parc y Scarlets.
    Mark_Jack_London