Football betting site Betway

September 11th… 1989, (not 2001) 30 years ago this week!

I’d be genuinely interested in knowing how many of us, that are still alive and still post on this forum, travelled over to Glyfada, in Greece, on September 11th 1989?

Monday, September 11th – Starting the tour off in the ‘Queens’ – Buses from the Library - Flight over.

Tuesday, September 12th – Spent most of it ‘lubricating our larynxes,’ ready to out sing 45,000 Greeks the next day.

Wednesday, September 13th – Cup Winners Cup match – Panathinaikos 3 v Swansea City 2 (Olympic Stadium, Athens).

Thursday, September 14th – The infamous incident in ‘The Ship Tavern.’ With about 35 of us, attacked by about 1,000 Greeks (not bearing gifts). (…unless you call hurling ‘chunks of concrete’ as gifts?) The arrested lads were paraded in front of the TV cameras, even in the court itself.

Friday, September 15th – Diplomatic attempts made, to get the remaining 10 out of prison. While the rest of us were then escorted back to the plane, by machine gun carrying police.

Saturday, September 16th – Received a ‘hero’s welcome’ back, from the Swans fans at Craven Cottage, Fulham (lost 2-0).   

Has anyone got any stories/memories they’d like to relate about that notorious away trip?

Yes, 30 bloody years ago, this week!?

Comments

  • Hi Colin,

    No mate, I wasn't in those clips. But thanks for posting that, it brought back some memories, not many of them good.

    It needs to be understood that for the main party of Swans fans, the Ship Tavern was 'our local' for the trip. Everyone knew this and we went in there every night, without any problems whatsoever. The staff welcomed us in there, as we spent so much money, especially as the holiday season was coming to an end.
      
    The locals waited until the night after the match, our last night there, to attack us. Even though I was in the 'Ship' when it all kicked off, I didn't get herded into the Police van that eventually arrived. When the main group of Swans fans got trapped in a stairway leading into a nightclub, I realised it was not a place I wanted to go. I managed to get away into an adjoining bar. 

    It was in that stairwell that all the blood soaked injuries you see on the video occurred. As the Swans fans were trapped there, as the nightclub, at the top of the stairs, bolted it's doors, to stop them getting in. That's when all the bricks, slabs of concrete etc. broken off walls from the traffic free precinct, near the Ship Tavern, were thrown at the Swans fans, causing the injuries. 

    I have to say, I was soldier, served in Northern Ireland in the mid seventies, when it was bad, really bad, but nothing compared to that night, nothing has ever scared me like that night. You heard in the video, one of the boys saying they thought they would die there and that was the truth of it. This wasn't simply a punch up, this part is generally misunderstood. This was a case of the Swans fans trying to leave the area, while fending off heavy missiles being hurled directly at them, while trapped without an escape route.

    I was nominated as one of the spokesmen for the group, in trying to raise the money to get the remaining 10 boys out of prison. I was on TV quite a bit that week, in trying to publicise this fund.      

    I've got about two and half hours worth all about it on a VHS tape, detailing all the TV coverage of the 'situation' in the Ship Tavern. Which also includes the match with an S4C Welsh Commentary. Trouble is, I don't know anyone with a video recorder anymore to play it. 
  • Thanks for that Tim, very little cash for me in those days to go abroad on holidays with the family let alone an away couple of days in Athens.
    Perhaps you can get your video transferred onto a disc. There has to be some geeks out there who can do it. Add to your post on Planet Swans and I bet there will be somebody who will reply to your query.
    Great memories though, can't take them away from you.

  • Anybody want the programme from match 
    Wasn’t there but have a copy given to me by a friend that was there. 
    Free if no postage involved
  • Sadly those sorts of incidents was what put me off football looking back. I’m not one for trouble and that’s the trouble. You didn’t have to go looking for it to potentially land at your feet. I recall one evening when I used to work in Burgerking during my student days. The manager had to lock the doors as a hoard of Cardiff fans swept up Union Street looking to start trouble. My blood run cold just seeing them. Thankfully the times have changed and more people than ever can support their favourite club without the danger of being a sitting target against the football hooligans of the past.
    Pablo
  • SeaJack said:
    Sadly those sorts of incidents was what put me off football looking back. I’m not one for trouble and that’s the trouble. You didn’t have to go looking for it to potentially land at your feet. I recall one evening when I used to work in Burgerking during my student days. The manager had to lock the doors as a hoard of Cardiff fans swept up Union Street looking to start trouble. My blood run cold just seeing them. Thankfully the times have changed and more people than ever can support their favourite club without the danger of being a sitting target against the football hooligans of the past.
    Times havn't changed SeaJack, myself, my wife and friends were abused and attacked at the Emirates 2 seasons ago by Swans fans. Sadly, the scum are still there, you just have to be lucky not to be near to them in the ground.
    Pablo
  • TimBowen said:


    I've got about two and half hours worth all about it on a VHS tape, detailing all the TV coverage of the 'situation' in the Ship Tavern. Which also includes the match with an S4C Welsh Commentary. Trouble is, I don't know anyone with a video recorder anymore to play it. 
    Hi Tim,

    If you'd like to convert your VHS tape to digital format on a memory stick or CD, I can recommend this company ……...
    https://www.digitalconverters.co.uk

    Spookily, today, I have just received a set of converted digital files from them of my wife's old family cine films and VHS tapes that we had but couldn't play and they did a great job in converting them. 

    Also, as of about 6 months ago, I actually own an old VHS player - recovered in order to play the tapes we had .

    I can lend you the VHS player for as long as you like - I can bring it to Swansea on Saturday if you'd like to pick it up from me at the Plough in Brynhyfryd before the match . Message me if you want to meet up to do that.

    Good account of what happened out there by the way. Glad I wasn't there.

  • Hi Tim I remember the trip and you well and  the hotel we stayed in ,lots of fun in the build up to the game in the bars with no trouble , nights after it all kicked off ,me and the other Newport/Port Talbot boys were drinking in the Sussex down the road ,we heard it kick off and tried to come down ,we didnt get far before we knew that it was bad.
    I only knew how bad it really was when I walked back to the hotel in the early hours to find it surrounded by police and armoured vehicles !

    The following day as the reports were coming in and the manager of the hotel handed me the phone and the media were on the other end .I declined to comment (imagine in the wrong hands how that would have been sensationalised ).
    Ironically the following night we ventured back into town for beer !
    The following day the remaining fans were escorted to Athens airport by armoured vehicle (some sort of gun thingy on it)we got herded into a gate lounge and were watched by the police very closely .Dont think passports were even checked !

    I was drinking at the airport bar and a greek police officer was quite happily chatting to me about football his colleague joined us and was a ****** trying to wind me up !
    Chaos on the return flight some jacks not even sitting on seats  some lying on the floor during take off and landing .
    Arrived at Heathrow with some media hanging around ,scurried off home relieved that the violence that took place was narrowly avoided purely by  good luck.

    Thats the first time the media bias and lies came to my attention .

    I miss those foreign trips , PSG,Athens ,Magdaberg,Monaco missed the Valencia game as Ive been in NZ for 18yrs .
    Back in April for a few games  ,Glyfada reunion me thinks .
    STID

  • Sorry to hear that Colin. However, is that a typo or did some Swans fans genuinely set on you as a Swans fan yourself?
  • SeaJack said:
    Sorry to hear that Colin. However, is that a typo or did some Swans fans genuinely set on you as a Swans fan yourself?
    The verbals from the pissed up Swans fans had been going on for some time but as soon as it became aggressive the stewards, who been monitoring the situation, stepped in and threw them out.
    Sad world.
  • Sad world indeed. It’s enough to contend with the opposition fans let alone those of the same supporting persuasion. I’m glad it didn’t escalate further.
  • Thanks for the replies lads, much appreciated. And yes Wilco, it was an 'eventful trip' for a whole bunch of reasons!

    Thanks too, especially to Jeff Cowbridge, for the kind offer of the video recorder to watch the tape again. Problem is Jeff, I'm a bloody 'technosaurus' and wouldn't know how to set it up. (LOL) 

    However, there's good news...'Cimla Jack' has privately messaged me, saying how 'Click' a shop in the Aberavon Shopping Centre (Port Talbot), will convert VHS tapes to DVD for only a £5 per tape. Bloody great innit!

    I've started saving all my money now, to ensure I can convert all my 'Debbie does Dallas' type 'entertainment' from the 80's!!! LOL
     
    Knowing my luck as soon as they're all converted to DVD, those Japanese buggers will only invent some other format to stop me from watching it again! Either that, or I'll probably have gone blind in the meantime!?

    With the Panathinaikos match held 30 years ago tonight...it's truly amazing how quickly time flies by boys eh?  You can imagine how in 27/28 years from now, someone on Swans forums, will be reminding everybody about the time we had an American manager and owners...actually Nah, can't see anyone forgetting those lot in a hurry. 
     
  • Following that trip down memory lane any comments on other European adventures ?
  • I went to Monaco....by coach. Left Swansea at midnight on the Saturday early ferry from Dover and stopped in Rheims I think on way down for the rest of the night Sunday. Based in Cannes very posh. Monaco very posh and the harbour had bigger boats than ours in the Swansea Marina by quite some way.
    Monacos ground is built over a large car park and is quite progressive though there were what seemed hundreds of steps up to our concourse. We lost 8 nil mainly due to having to play mostly welsh youth team players due to the rules at the time...Frankie Burrows would not let the players take gifts home due to his assumed embarrassment at the result. The few hundred Swans fans enjoyed the experience with some doing their infamous conga during the quieter moments in the game.
    Left Cannes the next day stopping in Lyons overnight a quick stop at a Calais supermarket for duty frees and on to the ferry. Back in Swansea late Thursday night.....and then Huddersfield on the Saturday.
    a hell of an experience but never again....
  • Yes azzuri that’s the way I saw it although I had food poisoning on the ferry I was bad all trip.and a dick head fan threw a bear glass at one of the locals who was waving a flag out of their windows and iff I ever met that guy now I swear I’d stick the head on him I would have done it back then iff I hadn’t been so ill!
    azzuriswanPablo
  • Take my hat off to all of you guys who followed the club in their European adventures in years gone by. For the Monaco away tie here is the Swans team-
    Kendall M, Jenkins S, Thornber S, Coughlin R, Harris M(Trick)-88, Davies M, Davey S-(Chapple)-72, Davies A, Gilligan J, Raynor P, Legg A. Subs not used-Power C(g/k), Denham M, Coates M


  • Yes Brownie, I did travel to Monaco, September 17th 1991. 28 years ago on Tuesday!  

    What a trip that was! Completely different to Glyfada two years before, but still a memorable couple of days nonetheless.

    I'd just gone through a divorce and couldn't afford to fly. My brand new naughty blonde girlfriend suggested we drive down in my Ford Escort, following a minibus of my mates from Briton Ferry, where I was living at the time. I seem to remember it was about 1,100/1,200 miles...what a bloody journey! 

    My girlfriend put a fantasy into practice about reclining her front seat and laying naked in the car, laughing at the shocked, but delighted expressions on the faces of the truck drivers overtaking us! Gawd, I miss her aye!

    We stayed at a camp site in St Tropez the night before the match. Driving the 90(?) miles to Monaco the following morning. We arrived 'in town' about midday (it was a night match) and saw some 'P' parking signs, so we followed them and parked up, under what looked like some university type building for the day. 

    To excited calls of "find the ground" then we'll have 'a pint or twelve' we set off to find it. Well Monaco is about the same size as Swansea City Centre, but we couldn't see any 'floodlights' anywhere? Then one of the Swans fans, who got there earlier than us, said that 'University building' was actually Monaco's stadium, the 'Stade Louis II.' 

    It turns out, that 'Car Park' we found, was actually directly underneath the match pitch!!! Honestly!!! 

    I've never done that before or since, and likely never will!? We met up with the main party of Swans fans at a bar some 250 yards from the ground called 'Le Fetiche' and we spent a glorious day 'on the razz,' preparing for the match later. Great afternoon, with no trouble whatsoever!

    At the time, the European rules dictated (something like) the club could only play four players from outside your country's national federation. So as Colin's team line-up shows, our team comprised of Welsh players, mainly kids. And a sprinkling of 'foreign' (English) players. We had no chance whatsoever against European aristocrats like Monaco.

    We lost 8-0! And believe me, we were lucky to get nil! 

    But what was fabulous,  was realising we getting knocked out of 'Europe' that night, the Swans fans sang 'Frankie Burrows' Black 'n White Army' for the last 30 minutes of the match, without stopping! The Monegasque in the same stand clapped us out of the ground, impressed we'd shown such valiant support, even though we'd received a stuffing! 
    There were many other fun and exciting aspects to that trip! And thanks to that new naughty blonde girlfriend, it meant I scored more often than Monaco!  

    In all seriousness, while it was a massive defeat, it needs to be remembered how many famous names we played against that night. Some I remember were, George Weah, John Sivebaek, Emmanuel Petite, Youri Djorkaeff, as well as ex-Southampton and Leicester manager Claude Puel, with Monaco managed by a certain Arsene Wenger. So you can see with us having such a make weight team of mainly local boys, we were lucky to keep it down to only conceding eight that evening!

    We made it back to St Tropez late that night, before drowning our sorrows. Then the next day made our way back along that 1,100/1,200 mile road back home, via Paris. Where I actually slept under the Eiffel Tower in my parked Escort that night. Something I'll bet you can't do anymore.

    Yeah, Swans trips to Europe are invariably memorable occasions, irrespective of the result. It would be such fun to qualify again one day. "And once again all Europe will hear the Swansea City sound!"  


     



    Jeff_Cowbridge
  • TimBowen said:
    Yes Brownie, I did travel to Monaco, September 17th 1991. 28 years ago on Tuesday!  

    What a trip that was! Completely different to Glyfada two years before, but still a memorable couple of days nonetheless.

    I'd just gone through a divorce and couldn't afford to fly. My brand new naughty blonde girlfriend suggested we drive down in my Ford Escort, following a minibus of my mates from Briton Ferry, where I was living at the time. I seem to remember it was about 1,100/1,200 miles...what a bloody journey! 

    My girlfriend put a fantasy into practice about reclining her front seat and laying naked in the car, laughing at the shocked, but delighted expressions on the faces of the truck drivers overtaking us! Gawd, I miss her aye!

    We stayed at a camp site in St Tropez the night before the match. Driving the 90(?) miles to Monaco the following morning. We arrived 'in town' about midday (it was a night match) and saw some 'P' parking signs, so we followed them and parked up, under what looked like some university type building for the day. 

    To excited calls of "find the ground" then we'll have 'a pint or twelve' we set off to find it. Well Monaco is about the same size as Swansea City Centre, but we couldn't see any 'floodlights' anywhere? Then one of the Swans fans, who got there earlier than us, said that 'University building' was actually Monaco's stadium, the 'Stade Louis II.' 

    It turns out, that 'Car Park' we found, was actually directly underneath the match pitch!!! Honestly!!! 

    I've never done that before or since, and likely never will!? We met up with the main party of Swans fans at a bar some 250 yards from the ground called 'Le Fetiche' and we spent a glorious day 'on the razz,' preparing for the match later. Great afternoon, with no trouble whatsoever!

    At the time, the European rules dictated (something like) the club could only play four players from outside your country's national federation. So as Colin's team line-up shows, our team comprised of Welsh players, mainly kids. And a sprinkling of 'foreign' (English) players. We had no chance whatsoever against European aristocrats like Monaco.

    We lost 8-0! And believe me, we were lucky to get nil! 

    But what was fabulous,  was realising we getting knocked out of 'Europe' that night, the Swans fans sang 'Frankie Burrows' Black 'n White Army' for the last 30 minutes of the match, without stopping! The Monegasque in the same stand clapped us out of the ground, impressed we'd shown such valiant support, even though we'd received a stuffing! 
    There were many other fun and exciting aspects to that trip! And thanks to that new naughty blonde girlfriend, it meant I scored more often than Monaco!  

    In all seriousness, while it was a massive defeat, it needs to be remembered how many famous names we played against that night. Some I remember were, George Weah, John Sivebaek, Emmanuel Petite, Youri Djorkaeff, as well as ex-Southampton and Leicester manager Claude Puel, with Monaco managed by a certain Arsene Wenger. So you can see with us having such a make weight team of mainly local boys, we were lucky to keep it down to only conceding eight that evening!

    We made it back to St Tropez late that night, before drowning our sorrows. Then the next day made our way back along that 1,100/1,200 mile road back home, via Paris. Where I actually slept under the Eiffel Tower in my parked Escort that night. Something I'll bet you can't do anymore.

    Yeah, Swans trips to Europe are invariably memorable occasions, irrespective of the result. It would be such fun to qualify again one day. "And once again all Europe will hear the Swansea City sound!"  


     



    Great stories.

    Back home, I was a 10 year old who'd seen the first leg at home, excited at how we might do. 

    This of course being way before live text commentaries or hookie web streams, so the best my dad could offer was a regular check on Teletext to see how we were doing.

    Imagine my pride circa 10pm when according to Teletext we'd gone there and ground out a creditable 0-0 draw. We'd gone out, but with dignity. 

    Until my dad bought the paper the next day and reality dawned that bloody Teletext had failed the night before! I'll never forget that!
  • Planes trains and automobiles .I was one of three that made it to  Magdaberg (East Germany for you youngsters) in 83 we had drawn  1.1 at the Vetch and we contemplated not going.
    However Sunday morning I got the call and we were off ,National express (gave the driver cash not full fair) to London then  jumped train to Dover .

    Cheap ferry to Ostend then managed to hitchhike to Cologne where we slept at the train station for a couple of nights !
    Entered Magdeburg day of the match (we had visa) checked into a decent hotel then went to the game (think it was 0.0 )knocked out on away goals .

    The Germans were friendly and bemused (a couple wanted to give us a dig ,however others moved them on)back to the hotel and the Swans players were in the bar !Toshack looked horrified when we walked in but the other players  Nigel Stevenson,Wyndham and King Curt were  appreciative and welcoming plus forthcoming with vodka and orange .

    The night went well however Ray Kennedy was a dick and a little scuffle ensued (we didnt know he was ill at that stage  but it did explain some of his performances )kind remember much after that but we were invited to the directors box/area the following home game by one of the directors   .The following day we headed home  casually jumping trains and even being marched off by armed guards somewhere along the line only to hop back on later.

    Arrived eventually at Ostend with all ferries cancelled due to storms .
    We eventually set sail in awful conditions a was stung by a bee the size of a helicopter and my arm looked like the elephant mans !Through heavy seas and passengers being sick everywhere we eventually made it back to Dover we hopped onto the train back to London  (not sure if we paid probably not)the NATIONAL EXPRESS  bus made its way back to Wales through terrible weather and the severn bridge was swaying in the storm ,the sky lights on the roof of the bus were being ripped open by the weather and people on the coach were crapping themselves ,Blue Nun wine had rendered us comfortably num and eventually we all arrived safe and exhausted .

    I had been interviewed by the Evening Post in Magdeburg and the final statement was that we hoped to be at Derby for the game on Saturday ..That did not happen ..Memories of this trip are in black and white (East Germany ) ,my two travel companions Alan Roberts and Tony Jackell ..
    Crazy days indeed 


Sign In or Register to comment.