Football betting site Betway

Match Discussion: Swans v Reading - Championship 2019/20

edited September 30 in Swansea City
This is the place to discuss all things related to the Swans v Reading Championship game on Saturday 28 September 2019 at 3:00pm.

Referee Keith Stroud will be assisted by Mark Pottage and Mark Jones, with Timothy Wood the 4th Official for the game.

Take a look at the Swans v Reading Head to Head Stats when the sides have met at the Liberty Stadium and Vetch Field.

Share your pre and post match thoughts, views on Steve Cooper's pre or post match comments, team selection and don't forget to submit your score prediction for our Swansea City Prediction League.

«1

Comments

  • Falkirk battalion of Jack Army in town for tomorrow’s match 

    Goals please boyz 
  • Not sure if playing midweek stops him, but I Hope Garrick’s in the squad. 
    His pace would cause them problems. 
  • Can't see him starting, but after Wednesdays performance he deserves to be on the bench
  • I don't want to jinx us but we have an excellent chance of returning to the top of the Championship tomorrow as long as we win and score a few goals- 3 should do it even if Leeds win away at Charlton.
    My wish list is :
    1. 
    We win 3-0
    2.
    Charlton and Leeds draw
    3.
    Preston and Bristol City draw

    A perfect set of results.
    We would then be clear leaders after 9 games and they often say don't make any conclusions with the league table until after 10 games.( Well 9 is almost there ). The longer we can stay top the more confidence will build for the team.

    Two points or more per game throughout the season more or less guarantees an automatic  promotion place.

    20 points after 9 is well on track.


    So come on you Swans- make certain that no1 happens, you can't do anything about 2 or 3. 


  • Very good summing up of our present situation, ie. lack of goals, and goal scoring chances. 

    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/somethings-not-quite-right-swansea-16990699

    Myself and others, have been banging on, about our lack of pace in resent games. 
    Meaning, the opposition have plenty of time to set their defence. 
    It’s a shame new boy Kalulu is injured, as his CV looked like he’s a pacey box to box type player, and would have been a good option. 
    Another option would be Garrick, but can’t see him starting after fantastic 5-1 win over Porto. 
    But At least a place in the bench perhaps?
    Also is it time for Peterson, with his pace, to step up to the plate, either on the bench, or a start?
    SC  keeps saying it’s hard adjusting to a new country/ League, but with a home crowd behind him, could give him the confidence he needs. 
  • edited September 28
    J4cka said:
    Also is it time for Peterson, with his pace, to step up to the plate, either on the bench, or a start?
    SC  keeps saying it’s hard adjusting to a new country/ League, but with a home crowd behind him, could give him the confidence he needs. 

    He looks to have good potential, but has only been give 49 minutes championship play so far with 2 sub appearances. The more minutes he gets the more he will adjust and get used to the league. Maybe Cooper should get a rotation system going to give different players starts, it's a long season and good to keep everyone fresh.
  • Patience is needed, no walkovers in this division. Stick to the game plan, concentrate when defending set pieces and carve out openings when we get hold of the ball. Only the ninth match of the season and plenty of room for improvement.
  • Thanks god September is over, August saw us get 16pts out of 18, September 2 out of 9 plus a defeat against Watford which I couldn't care less. 2 points a game is the target so at least we have done that so far. In all fairness Reading were not that bad, the draw against BC was good but I thought we could have done better against NF. October is the deciding Month 3 home 2 away, a fair bit of traveling due to evening games and finishing off with Cardiff.  10 points nothing less will do I fear if we are to go up.  Anyone in the top 12 so far have every chance and the football is good to.
  • Seeing a lot of people slating Byers. Thought he had an excellent first half, and no one was particularly good in the second. Played some brilliant one-touch stuff to get us up the pitch and create chances, seems to work really well with Ayew and Borja.

    Plus he actually shoots, a rare talent in our team.
    YJB07
  • Why have we changed to kicking off towards the South stand? It's not working.  A draw today and defeat v forest.

    Why is celina playing left wing, he should be in the middle.

    Tbf to reading they played us off the park 2nd half. We looked completely knackered. Lots of work to be done ASAP. 
    YJB07
  • Agree with others lack of pace !
    Transition not good too patient if anything !
    only Andre Ayew attacked the back 4 !
    And where was the hassle and press ? Their back 4 through midfield had far too much license and freedom of ball !
    and .......... When you get the ball free on the flanks you do not pass it back you thump it into the "scoring" area
    lots  to work on ! - and time to get arrogant are we or are we not the best team in the championship ? Either believe or settle for a mediocre mid table place !


  • not sure kicking off that way has been our choice, Mark.

    Forest for sure won the toss, and turned us around. Wasnt there today, but I very much doubt it was our choice again.
  • edited September 28
    Recent results (post-international break) have simply been a reversion to the mean.

    Even I would concede that we have enough not to get relegated (you can quote me on that, Cadleigh :-)) but this squad is nowhere near challenging for promotion. (Again feel free to cut and paste for your tracker, @Cadleigh).

    From what I have seen, the football under Cooper is not a patch on what we saw under Potter, and I don't think that is an unreasonable assessment given we're now almost into double figures in terms of games played. 
    YJB07
  • Forest chose to have us change ends so the sun was in our eyes in the first half. Not sure about today.
  • Jeremy said:
    Agree with others lack of pace !
    Transition not good too patient if anything !
    only Andre Ayew attacked the back 4 !
    And where was the hassle and press ? Their back 4 through midfield had far too much license and freedom of ball !
    and .......... When you get the ball free on the flanks you do not pass it back you thump it into the "scoring" area
    lots  to work on ! - and time to get arrogant are we or are we not the best team in the championship ? Either believe or settle for a mediocre mid table place !


    Second half we didn't have nearly enough patience, playing quick balls upfield and losing it right away, forcing us to "hassle and press" again and the legs went pretty early on some of our players. 

    Our goal came from a long period of possession. That's how we can control games. When we're 1-0 up there's no reason to try to force things, but we've seemed to do that a few times this season (QPR away stands out, we opened up terribly after scoring there and their equaliser was inevitable).
  • When considering the opponent it sounded like the team that played Watford had a better time of it than the team that was set out against Reading. First half from what my ears were picking up is that we played some brilliant football. Second half was like chalk and cheese. Still it wasn’t a loss and we’re second in the table with one point in it. Couldn’t be happier at the moment all things considered.
  • OK glad to hear we haven't decided to play towards the South. I seem to recall forest kicked off v us so assumed we won the toss. 
  • Is the honeymoon period starting to evaporate with SC ?
    Thats 3 games in a row, where we’ve been questionable. 
    Today, good first half, passed the ball quickly, had some chances. 
    2nd half, their manager makes changes, and they  come back into the game. 
    SC doesn’t react to the changes, and they boss the second half. 
    Ok, we could have / should have won the game, but agree with a previous post, more of a mid table side, rather than promotion candidates. 
  • jasper_T said:
    Jeremy said:
    Agree with others lack of pace !
    Transition not good too patient if anything !
    only Andre Ayew attacked the back 4 !
    And where was the hassle and press ? Their back 4 through midfield had far too much license and freedom of ball !
    and .......... When you get the ball free on the flanks you do not pass it back you thump it into the "scoring" area
    lots  to work on ! - and time to get arrogant are we or are we not the best team in the championship ? Either believe or settle for a mediocre mid table place !


    Second half we didn't have nearly enough patience, playing quick balls upfield and losing it right away, forcing us to "hassle and press" again and the legs went pretty early on some of our players. 

    Our goal came from a long period of possession. That's how we can control games. When we're 1-0 up there's no reason to try to force things, but we've seemed to do that a few times this season (QPR away stands out, we opened up terribly after scoring there and their equaliser was inevitable).
    That exactly describes the Watford game too IMO. The question is, how do you retain posession against physical teams that get in your face as soon as you get the ball and have no fear that the referee will intervene? Either you pass the ball quickly with attacking purpose and risk losing it, like we did under Laudrup, or you pass short and fast (both of which Cooper seems to be favouring) or you match them for physicality, which we seem unwilling to do.
  • Our midfield could have lost us the game, shocking distribution with too many telegraphed or misplaced passes, and starved the forwards of any decent ball.  Ayew was our star man, never gave up. MOM was their number 14 who bossed the midfield totally and was all over the place chasing down the ball and I only saw him lose the ball once in 90 minutes. Sign him up.
  • Cooper is becoming all to predictable for me & I can’t help but think he’s slowly undoing potters great work.
  • edited September 29
    DaiMaerdy said:
    Our midfield could have lost us the game, shocking distribution with too many telegraphed or misplaced passes, and starved the forwards of any decent ball.  Ayew was our star man, never gave up. MOM was their number 14 who bossed the midfield totally and was all over the place chasing down the ball and I only saw him lose the ball once in 90 minutes. Sign him up.
    I agree with this - except the bit about telegraphed and misplaced passes.
    Their 14 was Ejaria who is on loan from Liverpool ( I found out this morning when I looked him up) and was indeed "all over the place" - in a very loose but effective role.
    I thought that Swift in midfield for them was also good in a more disciplined and structured role.
     And their sub Barrett was a real handful down the left.
  • Who is the coach that assists Toshack and Richards in the U23s? Biggish guy about 45 years old?  . I've seen him feeding info from elevated positions down to the bench in U23 matches and showing those A4 pitch diagrams to the subs before going on.
     I noticed he was part of the staff on the bench yesterday - well, it looked like him from the distance of the East Stand.
  • There's no doubt that Reading's Lucas Boye should of been sent off just before half-time for a second yellow for cynically pulling back Grimes. 
  • The Reading goal is a defensive shambles from us.

    I have absolutely no idea why Rodon charges out towards the guy running towards the box, there were plenty of midfielders there to hold him up.

    By doing that, Naughton has to tuck in, vacating the left back slot. That leaves Yiadom free. In all fairness to Naughton - who I've never been convinced by defensively - he nearly gets back to block it, you might argue he tucked in a little bit too much but he was left in a crap situation so doesn't do a lot wrong to be fair. 

    Then, for my money, Woodman is too close to his near post - it's fairly obvious Yiadom is going to go for the far corner, he leaves far too much goal for him to aim at, it doesn't even go right in the corner. If he'd positioned himself correctly he probably stops it. 

    Very, very poor all round but especially from Rodon.
  • Disagree that "there were plenty of midfielders there to hold him up". Grimes had already shifted right and been beaten when Joe pushes out. All three central players are out of the game at that point.

    Question marks over what Ayew should have been doing. Was it his job to tuck in sooner or should he have held width and covered for Naughton against the opposition fullback?
  • The bottom line from this game is that we are still 2nd in the table. We were not the only team expected to win that didn’t.  Could this little run of four games including the cup without a win be our seasonal bad blip? Who knows. Obviously SC will see what is needed as far as tweaking is concerned and will hopefully get it right for our away game at Charlton.
    Lets face it did any of us really expect us to be 2nd after 9 games?
  • The bottom line from this game is that we are still 2nd in the table. We were not the only team expected to win that didn’t.  Could this little run of four games including the cup without a win be our seasonal bad blip? Who knows. Obviously SC will see what is needed as far as tweaking is concerned and will hopefully get it right for our away game at Charlton.
    Lets face it did any of us really expect us to be 2nd after 9 games?
    People were saying before this "blip" that we had been fortunate to pick up many of those early points. We weren't creating many chances, and conceding a lot, with the likes of Bamford to thank for their wastefulness. So this run of four games is concerning despite our current position because it seems like we're reverting to a statistical norm rather than being a clinical aberration. 

    Cooper said earlier in the season he wanted to see us lose to see how we responded. I'm more interested in Cooper's response, if there's going to be one.
    rob_h
  • edited September 29
    jasper_T said:  this run of four games is concerning despite our current position because it seems like we're reverting to a statistical norm rather than being a clinical aberration. 

    Cooper said earlier in the season he wanted to see us lose to see how we responded. I'm more interested in Cooper's response, if there's going to be one.

    Cooper has become too predictable, he can't even see that Celina is playing out of position.

    He HAS to sub Baston for Surridge, 15 to 20 minutes before the end of every game, even when Baston is the best player on the pitch.

    I'm hoping that Cooper will start to improve, he's the one that needs to up his game now,  more so than the players. Look at Mo Salah and Kane, they hardly get subbed, statistically Surridge is much weaker than Baston, so we become a worse team.

    Peterson should to be given more EFL game time, if we could get him on form we would be all the better/stronger for it. Why is Cooper so much for Surridge, but doesn't seem to rate Peterson? Did he have more involvement when it came to choosing Surridge or something? He was also all for Kalulu (probably gave him too much game time too soon).
Sign In or Register to comment.