Football betting site Betway

Match Discussion: Charlton Athletic v Swans - Championship 2019/20

Comments

• edited October 2
    According to Whoscored.com VDH won 12 out of the 26 aerials duels won by a Swans outfielder !

Gotta hope there's no big offer we can't refuse in January.
  • Have to disagree with garyntc we were more comfortable than against QPR. Charlton looked dangerous but didn't create a lot of clear chances whereas QPR had us on the back foot until we scored the second. That's my 3rd away game and the best performance. We were definitely up for it and fought well to a man. The ref was definitely a homer. Just need to back this up with a convincing win Saturday
    barry
  • Have to disagree with garyntc we were more comfortable than against QPR. Charlton looked dangerous but didn't create a lot of clear chances whereas QPR had us on the back foot until we scored the second. That's my 3rd away game and the best performance. We were definitely up for it and fought well to a man. The ref was definitely a homer. Just need to back this up with a convincing win Saturday
    Agree 100%. My third away game too and although we gave the ball away yet again in often dangerous positions my impression is that we are improving all the time and it won’t be long before we are firing on all cylinders. I was surprised at how poor Charlton were given their league position and had no doubt we would win (although in the final 10 minutes that belief was tested to the nth degree!). Apart from Gallagher their main strengths were pace, fitness and four hopeless officials. We on the other hand played with great skill and confidence. I would have been happy with a point before the game. Three points and top of the league - great night! Fair play to Charlton too - friendly fans and relaxed policing. Could have done with more staff at the bar at half time but otherwise a great night out
    rob_h
  • they've only lost twice at home in 12 months and we made them seem ordinary. It's no mean feat to win any game but a team in form and away, is especially satisfying. ...and we can play better than that. Gritty performance. 
    rob_henaitch
  • Make no mistake that was a great result against a team with good home form. If we get our home form sorted out, we will be up there. Despite Stokes form they have a formidable team, get it right Saturday and we will be 25% of getting back to the promised land. We have a good footballing team, a good coach and players who play for each other. Lets thank Curtis, Leon and Tate who have brought our passion and identity back and Cameron and Richards who bring these players on. I would even support the owners who might have finally got it right
  • Good post, Phillip. I gather K and L were there tonight
  • barry said:
    According to Whoscored.com VDH won 12 out of the 26 aerials duels won by a Swans outfielder !

Gotta hope there's no big offer we can't refuse in January.
    I heard that Birch has said he doesn’t want - or need - to sell anyone this Christmas. I suppose if stupid money is offered we might have to negotiate but it doesn’t sound like we will be opening the shop window
  • well i am not sure what game was showing on TV, but it seems to have been a different one to most of us were seeing at the Valley.

I mean some of the comments about Celina are just remarkable.

He was a massive threat. and that's not just me saying it. the Charlton fans I spoke to on the train back to London Bridge picked him out, unprompted. 

we certainly came under the cosh in the last 10 minutes, and there was some back to the wall defending. but they stood firm against the onslaught, and deserved the win. - something else the same Charlton fans said, "worthy winners". 
    rob_hJackaremeSeaJackPablo
  • Agree with @Mark_Jack_London Celina was always looking to run and Matthews who was making his debut and got tied in knots. Rodon and VdH were brilliant. Ayew finally got his goal. The all in from Grimes for our second was a quality ball in. More like that please Matt. Borja didn't stop running. Roberts was always an outlet, as was Naughton.
    JackaremePablo
  • i do agree that Ayew was too narrow at times. Roberts seldom had an outlet ahead of him to play the ball to him first half, unlike on the left, where Naughton overlapped giving Celina room to move inside, or play a 1-2.

it is a frustrating tactic.
  • In all my negative posts against the owners, I have never criticised  players. I have questioned managers decisions but this season I believe they are all working together, something we haven't seen for a few years, whether Ayew should be played wide or Celina should be behind the CF is immaterial, they are doing their best in the system given.  I firmly believe as I said in August keep Ayew and Borja playing and their class together with all our now seasoned Championship players could do well. provided nobody tries to buy our stars we will go up, play off's would be a disappointment  because we are a top 2 team
  • The Welsh club's American owners, Jason Levien and Steve Kaplan, were also present for the first time this season to watch Cooper's side live.

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Managed to bunk off work to catch the Swans TV coverage - and IMO that was our best performance of the season.
    Charlton have not lost at home more than once in 12 months for a reason - and those that thought they were poor need to revisit the game and check the speed and tempo of the game - Curt made reference to the speed of the game many times in commentary and he was dead right!
    I am sure that Charlton have blown away most opponents with their fast paced, high tempo play and pressing, BUT we were made of sterner stuff, refused to fold (despite the early goal) and ultimately had more quality.
    Celina has his critics (see this thread and also the one on the most over rated player in the Championship) But I wonder what people are seeing sometimes and what it will take to please them..Yes the final product needs some work, but he gave a fantastic attacking performance tonight - and constantly had the Charlton defence back pedalling and unbalanced. At 23 there is not another player in this league I personally would swap him for!
    rob_hjasper_TbarryColinNorthamptonBob
  • i do agree that Ayew was too narrow at times. Roberts seldom had an outlet ahead of him to play the ball to him first half, unlike on the left, where Naughton overlapped giving Celina room to move inside, or play a 1-2.

it is a frustrating tactic.
    We needed him central to shut down their attacking play. Ayew spent most of the first half bollocking Fulton for not picking up men and leaving spaces, and gradually moved further and further inside. 

Was like an old-fashioned bank of 4 in midfield through most of the second half, where instead of the 10 dropping into midfield Dhanda stayed higher and you could tie a short rope around Ayew, Fulton, Grimes and Celina.

Did give us issues on the transition, though. Lesser of two evils, I'd wager. Game was far too open in that first half, don't see many end to end games like that any more.
  • Charlton did look dangerous at times, and passed the ball well, so his hard work was needed covering centrally.

but I agree, the transition was a problem on that side as a result.

What Charlton lacked was at CF - another thing their fans told me. They said their main strikers were both out.
  • Wow. What a mixed bag of comments with both criticism and praise being heaped on the team. I didn’t get to hear or see this one unfortunately but my educated guess on this one based on previous commentaries is that we probably played extremely well in parts and were under the cosh in others. What is indisputable though is the scoreline and the table position. We must be doing something right. Long may it continue.
  • Just picked up a link on Planet Swans to a Charlton Fan Forum.Many  of the comments on last nights match  are more generous to the Swans than we are ourselves.
    Mark_Jack_LondonSeaJack
  • A win is a win whichever way you look at it.  A bad start with Rodons miskick but within minutes the team had taken control of most of the game with slick passing. There were some mistakes...even Man City and Liverpool with their world beaters make some. A lucky deflection for Dhanda and a well hit shot from Ayew gave us a deserved win. Charltons main tactic was to lump the ball deep in to our half and hope for a kind bounce ...on to our players hands and arms which did not work fortunately. Yes a great result against 14 men.
    barry
  • A win is a win whichever way you look at it.  A bad start with Rodons miskick but within minutes the team had taken control of most of the game with slick passing. There were some mistakes...even Man City and Liverpool with their world beaters make some. A lucky deflection for Dhanda and a well hit shot from Ayew gave us a deserved win. Charltons main tactic was to lump the ball deep in to our half and hope for a kind bounce ...on to our players hands and arms which did not work fortunately. Yes a great result against 14 men.
    At the end I half expected the fourth official to hold up a sign saying they game will continue until Charlton equalise’. The officials were shocking once again. Have we developed a reputation among officials for being a team that goes down easily or something? 
  • a fair assessment seajack.

moorlands, exactly what i was told in person by Addicks fans on the train.
  • i am more worried about us potentially losing both our centrebacks next summer.

VdH as he is out of contract. and Joe as big clubs must be looking at him.
  • i am more worried about us potentially losing both our centrebacks next summer.

VdH as he is out of contract. and Joe as big clubs must be looking at him.
    Carpe Diem.

That's a long , long way off. We could even be a PL side by then and players will be desperate to be kept on etc.
  • Sorry I thought charton looked bang ordinary.not taking away our second half performance I thought Celina was excellent and looked positive everytime he got the ball and wanted to make things happen.i still think we need a strong African holding midfielder to give us a bit more steel in the middle of the park.
    jasper_TMark_Jack_London
  • I watched with a Charlton fan sitting high in the main stand which gave an excellent perspective.

I thought we controlled the game well in general and aside from the goal cant recall Charlton having any clear cut chances. We also played some decent football and the only real criticism is that we didn't make the most of some promising situations and also need to get more balls into areas in front of Borja for him to attack.

We did probably start to sit too deep in the last ten to fifteen minutes which always invites balls into the box but I thought we stood up to the aerial battering well - something we might not have done last season.

Charlton were a bit hamstrung by injuries to some of their more creative players but you can only play what is in front of you and as the game panned out I would have been disappointed not to have won.

• 5 points separating 1st and 11th. You've got to love the championship. May not have the quality but so much more interesting than the Prem.

BTW out of our 10 games, 6 have been against that top 11 - 4 of them away and 10 points from those aways. Not bad at all.

What did they say to Celina at half time? All through the first half he was slow and measured against a full back who has not had games. Lost count how many times he accelerated away from him with his first touch in the second half.

Anyone else watching the end screaming for fresh legs? Borja had put a shift in and looked tired. I see the logic of not subbing a man who is useful under the late aerial onslaught but it means there is no-one up when we hoof the clearance. I never feel happy doing that for 10 mins. There has to be mileage in bringing on a speed merchant (and we had one on the bench) and telling him to stay as high as he can - half way line or further. Give the attacking team something to worry them and distract from all out attack. Not many managers do it but it seems to work well on the odd occasion they do.

Seen a lot of comments about width recently. The thing I noticed was that Ayew played about 4 lovely passes all with his left. Nearly all Celina's good work was his right. The sides they played will mean that they will naturally cut in. What do people think would happen if they played a more traditional way and the leftie was on the left and the rightie on the right? Would probably mean we get to the byline more but SC clearly has his reasons? Would bet Borja would love them switched round.

Seen Ayew's first goal again and from Fulton's feet, I don't reckon that ball went out. We definitely haven't got to the top of the div on the back of refs in recent weeks.
    rob_h
  • Another thing that pee’s me off, is not leaving one our players up on the halfway line, when we’re defending a corner. 
    This invites more of the opposition players into our penalty area. 
    I remember when Curt was temp manager, he put 2 on the halfway line, making them leave 3 to mark them. 
    Seemed to take a lot of the strain
    off marking in the box. 
  • I was wondering where the subs were, yes. Would've even welcomed the Surridge for Borja swap to try to kill their momentum late on (like when we won the free kick on 87).

Wrong-footed widemen are the norm if you want them to pose a goal threat. DJ was a luxury in that he could cross with his left. Peterson has a bit of a left foot going by highlights. Garrick is extremely right-footed.

• Seen Ayew's first goal again and from Fulton's feet, I don't reckon that ball went out. We definitely haven't got to the top of the div on the back of refs in recent weeks.
    Yup.

It bounced a foot inside the line and only went up another couple of feet at the most before Fulton crossed it. Wasn't travelling towards the goal-line. No spin on it.

Here it is when it bounced.

rob_h
  • barry said:
    Yup.

It bounced a foot inside the line and only went up another couple of feet at the most before Fulton crossed it. Wasn't travelling towards the goal-line. No spin on it.

Should definitely have been 1-3 then and 2 goals to Ayew
    barry