Football betting site Betway

Match Discussion: Swans v Stoke City - Championship 2019/20

edited October 6 in Swansea City
This is the place to discuss all things related to the Swans v Stoke City Championship game on Saturday, 5 October 2019 at 3:00pm.

Referee Oliver Langford will be assisted by Robert Hyde and Adam Crysell, with Rob Smith being the 4th Official for the game..

Take a look at the Swans v Stoke City Head to Head Stats when the sides have met at the Liberty Stadium and Vetch Field.

Share your pre and post match thoughts, views on Steve Cooper's pre or post match comments, team selection and don't forget to submit your score prediction for our Swansea City Prediction League.


«134567

Comments

  • Final game of the first quarter of the season. We have been playing well without hitting the heights (except for league position). We are about 3 goals short of where we probably should be.  

    Presumably Bidwell will be back, so Celina and he can link up again to give us more dynamism down the left. I would like to see a bit more match management by keeping possession and avoid going one down in the first 15 mins, where 3 of our 7 goals have been conceded. This home match might be the opportunity to introduce some pace out wide at least for the last 30 mins.

    We should win about 2-1 on Saturday if we play to our current standard. I’d like to see us manage to step up a little from current form and keep the other teams having to play catch up.
  • I hope Bidwell doesn't come straight back in.
  • His performances so far means if he is fit in training he will.
  • jasper_T said:
    I hope Bidwell doesn't come straight back in.
    I agree Naughton is a better player and is just starting to gel and get match fit.

    Bidwell is very good, but his pass success rate is worse so we don't keep hold of the ball as well.

    The stats are here:


  • Now that we are back to winning ways I feel that we will continue on another run of wins against what should be eminently beatable teams. Famous last words I know but we’ve come through the toughest part getting the results we’ve had so far against the more difficult teams (barring Nottingham Forest).
  • I’d certainly like his passing stats to improve being very keen on a high tempo passing and possession game, but his overall performances have been very good and dynamic.

    I believe SC will start him Saturday if he is fit.
  • Pity is, just as we are getting back to form, a dreaded international break is looming.
  • Yes we could certainly do without another one.
  • His performances so far means if he is fit in training he will.
    I disagree. The only compelling reason for bringing him back in is tactical if Cooper wants to have a very limited left-footed player overlapping on that side.

    Naughton's been better and is better. We're a more versatile and effective team with him at left-back. 
    rob_h
  • Hopefully Bidwell will be back in. He's developed a great understanding with Celina.

    How the hell are Stoke bottom with that squad?

    Includes:

    Butland
    Allen
    Ince
    Clucas
    Vokes
    McClean
    Carter-Vickers
    Martins-Indi
    Shawcross
    Ryan Woods

    16 games without a win. Thankfully Stoke owners have just issued a statement that they are fully behind their manager so he should still be in place on Saturday.
  • barry said:
    Hopefully Bidwell will be back in. He's developed a great understanding with Celina.

    How the hell are Stoke bottom with that squad?

    Includes:

    Butland
    Allen
    Ince
    Clucas
    Vokes
    McClean
    Carter-Vickers
    Martins-Indi
    Shawcross
    Ryan Woods

    16 games without a win. Thankfully Stoke owners have just issued a statement that they are fully behind their manager so he should still be in place on Saturday.

    Clucas?
  • jasper_T said:
    His performances so far means if he is fit in training he will.
    I disagree. The only compelling reason for bringing him back in is tactical if Cooper wants to have a very limited left-footed player overlapping on that side.

    Naughton's been better and is better. We're a more versatile and effective team with him at left-back. 
    Well we will see what SC thinks of your view on Saturday. I’m happy to trust his judgment, it reads like you don’t.
  • Don't think I've ever met a football fan who agrees with every decision a manager makes. 

    I definitely disagree with him on Bidwell. 
  • jasper_T said:
    Don't think I've ever met a football fan who agrees with every decision a manager makes. 

    I definitely disagree with him on Bidwell. 
    I'd be surprised if Cooper picks Bidwell over Naughton, unlike Peterson who hasn't done so well when given the chance, Naughton has clearly played better than Bidwell, and Cooper should have noticed this.

    More improvements to come from Naughton too I think.
  • Having been at Charlton last night, I wonder if SC might rest one of Van de Horn/Rodon. They took a hell of a battering in the 2nd half & Van de Horn especially seemed to be carrying knock. Time for Wilmot maybe
    Jackareme
  • They've been conceding a lot of chances from crosses especially to the back post (McClean playing left back can't help) so there is a decent case for Bidwell to just get to the byline and smash it over and over. Give Garrick half an hour on the other side as well. 
  • https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/under-fire-stoke-city-boss-17025224  
    It's Swansea City, so you know what comes next. Concerned about it so the only way I can help (apart from cheering the Swans on) is to bet on a Stoke win!! :#
  • who is the ref? how many pens has he given?
  • Langford is a balanced referee who doesn’t favour home teams, does award a high number of red and yellows, and penalises about 70% of all tackles in a match.

    Normally awards a penalty about 1 match in 4.

    Interestingly every match he has refereed this season has ended in a draw.
  • Langford is also the only ref I’ve heard of who has apologised to a club for getting a penalty decision wrong.

    Although, not entirely sure I find that encouraging!
  • 6 games thus season, 28 yellows, 1 red
    Stevieboyo
  • Whilst there are no easy games in this div, the game vs stoke is  for me a banana skin waiting to happen, the player quality they have is there for all to see be it they are not fireing at all but one day they will and am really hoping its not on Saturday the concentration has to be by every player for the 90 plus mins am sure our manager has it in hand but its teams like Stoke and with us at the top, will raise their game am sure.
    Having said above am hoping for a clean sheet and a home win.
    Pablo
  • Most of our goals conceded are in the first 15 mins or last 15 mins. So concentration from the very start to the very end.

    I don’t like it when our old players come back to the Liberty, and Stoke have a few.
    SeaJack
  • edited October 4
    Did I read somewhere that Stoke manager has local or Swans connect?
    Perhaps I am confusing him with the chap who used to manage the England Womens team.
    Not being negative but Stoke have to have a good day sometime,hopefully not  tomorrow.
    Pablo
  • Pete said:
    Whilst there are no easy games in this div, the game vs stoke is  for me a banana skin waiting to happen, the player quality they have is there for all to see be it they are not fireing at all but one day they will and am really hoping its not on Saturday the concentration has to be by every player for the 90 plus mins am sure our manager has it in hand but its teams like Stoke and with us at the top, will raise their game am sure.
    Having said above am hoping for a clean sheet and a home win.
    I agree, this is the one team I hate playing against, in our last season in the Premier league they were by far the worst team, yet they did the double over us, they have some great players, physical strength but for some reason cant win a game, lets hope they don't start tomorrow. As much as I feel sympathy for Jones for his efforts on trying to get them to play good football, this is one game I hope he fails. A win tomorrow and I really think we could go straight up
    Pablo
  • Not too sure who I’d prefer, Bidwell or Naughton. At first I thought journeyman, summed up Bidwell, but I do like the fact he gets forward, and crosses into the box, links well with Celina, and has physically, which we are lacking. 
    I agree Naughton is the better footballer, but his old Achilles heel was there for all to see again, in the Reading game. 
    Out of position for their goal. 
    And only a matter of time until he’s marking on the wrong side of his man, which again, puts us under pressure. 
  • J4cka said:
    Not too sure who I’d prefer, Bidwell or Naughton. At first I thought journeyman, summed up Bidwell, but I do like the fact he gets forward, and crosses into the box, links well with Celina, and has physically, which we are lacking. 
    I agree Naughton is the better footballer, but his old Achilles heel was there for all to see again, in the Reading game. 
    Out of position for their goal. 
    And only a matter of time until he’s marking on the wrong side of his man, which again, puts us under pressure. 
    He wasn't at fault against Reading. The opposition right back isn't his man.
  • Both Kyle and Andre were at fault they didn’t talk to each other and both closed the same player, leaving Yiadom in yards of space and time to crack in the equaliser.
  • Naughton almost managed to block it, he was unlucky:


Sign In or Register to comment.