Football betting site Betway

This time last year

On October 03 last year the table looked like this.
Leeds were top on 22 points from 11 played and Middlesbrough second also on 22 from 11.
Neither team  promoted.
The teams that ended up promoted were  as follows :
Sheffield Utd fourth on 19 points.
Norwich eighth on 17.
Aston Villa twelfth on 15.
We were sixth ,in the play off spots with 17 points.
Can't really draw any conclusions from all this other than there is a long way to go  and things are certain to change.

Comments

• We have a chance of getting up to 24 pts from 11 games this Saturday. Higher than Leed and Middlesbrough were last year.

And there is still room for improvement, Cooper has said we are not at the levels he is aiming at, so if this happens no reason why we can't stay up near the top.  

If we can play as well at home it would help, need a game plan for counteracting the way opposition teams set up against us at the Liberty.

• League position is inconclusive at this time of the season.

To emphasise the point we are 5 points ahead of where we were this time last season and also 5 points ahead of where we were in 2010/11, with somewhat different results in each season.

It needs to be said we are a more balanced team this season, scoring well and defending well. That’s an excellent place to be at this point of the season, the league position is a bonus.

A couple of benefits might be that we might persuade VdH to sign a deal and not have to sell in January unless we want to, and at our price, rather than having to accept any offer.
    rob_h
  • Your right about a more balanced team despite the departure of McB and James. I can’t remember exactly where on the forum but I do remember saying that we are more like a complete team than we have been in a while. Hard to tell if this league position is like being on the crest of a wave currently or it is a good indication of what to expect for the rest of the season. We either wipeout or we ride this particular wave until we’re home and dry.
  • We need to stay on the wave, ride it all the way, and not get caught in that riptide nearby.
    SeaJack

• SeaJack said:
    Your right about a more balanced team despite the departure of McB and James. I can’t remember exactly where on the forum but I do remember saying that we are more like a complete team than we have been in a while. Hard to tell if this league position is like being on the crest of a wave currently or it is a good indication of what to expect for the rest of the season. We either wipeout or we ride this particular wave until we’re home and dry.
    nowhere near being a complete team. If we can't add a better midfielder than Fulton there is no way we will be in the mix come next May.
    Pablo
  • More like a complete team rather than complete so as I would freely admit, there’s always room for improvement somewhere along the line. Fulton seems to be out of favour with Jasper T as well so I’ll be watching his performances with interest to get a handle on why you both feel that way about him. Him getting it in the neck from Ayew however does seem to suggest that he wasn’t pulling his weight in the Charlton game.
    Pablo
  • Potter had it right in picking Byers in there. Fulton couldn't get a look in during our best run of form. We could play out more effectively with a second player in midfield willing to take the ball on the turn.

I had (reasonably) high hopes for Fulton when we got relegated but he very quickly proved me wrong. The first game last season we ended up with Celina as the holding midfielder as Fulton couldn't keep up with the game. He's almost a luxury player in that he can look dominant one moment, a liability the next, and gets nowhere near the game for the next 10 minutes. A lot like Fer.

He has improved. He no longer looks shattered after half an hour, putting his head down and digging deep to jog back into position when it's played around him (that now happens on the hour). But he's also targeted by teams imo. Against QPR he was nutmegged twice in the space of a few minutes and misses more tackles per game than Grimes attempts. Gallagher yesterday played most of his football in the pocket of space behind Jay, especially once they had an extra centre forward on up against vdH (who had to win a lot of headers - 12 out of 20 compared to Joe's 4 out of 5 - again suggesting a preference to play in those areas).

Did his best work in the opposition penalty area.
    YJB07Pablo
  • Would agree with the consensus that Fulton is a painfully limited player. For whatever reason he seems to hit the spot for Cooper, but I just don't see it myself. 
    YJB07
  • Fulton is playing well in a position where his work as holding midfielder goes unnoticed. You critics just haven't got a clue. I despair, even when top of the league you have to have a whipping boy.
  • Well Jay is probably our top defensive player in terms of tackles and interceptions. He also is up there with dribbles and assists.

Someone has to do the hard graft along with Matt. So that’s probably what SC sees in him.
    Pablo
  • It’s also worth noting that our run of form since the start of the season is our best run of form including last season, and Jay has started every match!
    PabloSeaJack
  • I wasn’t particularly a fan of Fulton, but under Cooper, I now feel he is work under progress. 
    Don't forget, in pre-season he scored a couple of really nice goals as well. 
    If you are going to achieve anything as a team, you have to have midfielders who score goals. 
  • I was unsure about Fulton and whilst it’s area of the team we could improve he is certainly playing his part and I thought he stood out in the 2nd half against Charlton a very good performance indeed.
  • Well Jay is probably our top defensive player in terms of tackles and interceptions. He also is up there with dribbles and assists.

Someone has to do the hard graft along with Matt. So that’s probably what SC sees in him.
    He's not. It's still Matt Grimes. Fulton shades him in tackles by 0.1 per game but Matt gets more interceptions, blocks and half as many fouls, with a higher tackle success rate (69% vs 63%).

• No Jay has the most tackles and is only just behind on interceptions. Matt has more blocks and Jay is better at dribbling the ball forward. Also Jay gets further forward and has 2 assists.

They are both doing their job, which is exactly my point.

Your argument was he is not good enough and Byers should be playing instead, when clearly Byers stats are not as good for what SC has got Jay in to do.

Also you said Jay didn’t play when we had our best run of results, which isn’t correct as he has started every match in the Championship this season, and these 10 matches have been our best set of results over the entire period since the start of the 2018/19 season.

rob_h
  • I said Fulton shades the tackles which is exactly what your screenshot shows. He gets further forward because it's the job asked of him. For a comparison with Byers last season's stats are more appropriate as Byers has played further forward in the league this season.

• This is the main reason I would play Byers, though. Important to any possession game to have players that want to get on the ball and are reliable with it.

• You stats are out of date and relate to last year.

The screenshot I have posted is the performance this season and Matt and Jay are on a par, but playing slightly different games.

I like Byers but he is better in the no 10 position although not as good as Celina. We have good midfielders but a number of them are very similar.

For me the simple facts are we have had the best start and run of performances (especially considering a brand new manager) with excellent results and SC has trusted Jay and Matt to be the go to midfielders for the defensive screen. Their stats are excellent and support each other.

The one role we have missed, including last year is the Makele type box to box midfielder and Jay is doing a pretty good job in that role and is, in my opinion, one of reasons our results have improved. 

Matt is a regista and becoming a pretty damn good one.

George is more of a no 10.
    CadleighStevieboyo
  • Do you not read posts? I'm said I'm using last season's stats because they show a direct comparison of the two players doing the same job over a statistically significant period. 
    Cadleigh
  • Our game plan and style has changed significantly from last year. If you want a larger data set include all the friendlies.

Perhaps we have to wait until we have half a season and see where the stats are then. 

Personally Id expect George to be pressing Yan for the no 10 role.
  • You stats are out of date and relate to last year.

The screenshot I have posted is the performance this season and Matt and Jay are on a par, but playing slightly different games.

I like Byers but he is better in the no 10 position although not as good as Celina. We have good midfielders but a number of them are very similar.

For me the simple facts are we have had the best start and run of performances (especially considering a brand new manager) with excellent results and SC has trusted Jay and Matt to be the go to midfielders for the defensive screen. Their stats are excellent and support each other.

The one role we have missed, including last year is the Makele type box to box midfielder and Jay is doing a pretty good job in that role and is, in my opinion, one of reasons our results have improved. 

Matt is a regista and becoming a pretty damn good one.

George is more of a no 10.
    Jay is nowhere near a Makalele type player, he is not dynamic to the breakdown and once forward is out of the game when there is a counter attack.
  • When did Makelele play box to box? He was the archetypal sitting midfielder. Literally "the Makelele role".
    garythenotrashcougar
  • Interesting debate but the bottom line is only 1 stat that really matters is points and after 10 games we have more points than anyone else in the league and as @SpringheeledJack stated Fulton had played in every game.

Cadleigh
  • The bottom line comes in May so why are any of us bothering discussing anything? Shut down the forum until then, right?
    rob_h
  • Having more points at this stage of the season doesn't guarantee that the same will be achieved after the next tranche of 10/11 matches. 
    We are getting to the stage of a season(10/11) matches where coaches will digest all the relative information possible and make decisions to continue/increase momentum for the next 10/11 tranche of matches to take them to the halfway stage, also looking towards when the transfer window re-opens. Are any youngsters like Garrick possibly, capable of continuing to add something to the squad, and if he isn't, would he more suitable to go out on loan for the second half of the season, with the view of gaining valuable experience in League 1 perhaps in readiness for next season. And if he does go, then a speedy, skillful wide player would be required to replace him. Or, perhaps Cooper will have the belief and confidence that Peterson can fulfill that wide role adequately.  
    Will Cooper continue with his trusted system of 4-2-3-1 or will he tweak it to a 4-1-4-1 at the Liberty with a view to add more creativity as far as scoring goals is concerned, especially in perhaps playing 2 out and out wide players and the opposition showing little sign of attacking play, only on the counter. 

rob_h
  • So just a normal season then, but with the added bonus we have more points so far than anyone else.
    Cadleigh
  • edited October 4
    Will we be in for any more players in the Jan transfer window, would we still be near the top of the table therefore attracting the interest of a really good premiership loan player. Or is our squad good enough as it is now?

I think that the likes of Garrick and Peterson may become essential if/when injuries or red cards hit us, and also for substitutions when we are having lots of games in a short period of time.

• So just a normal season then, but with the added bonus we have more points so far than anyone else.
    Not really, we are not that much ahead of the chasing pack where just one or no victories over a 4/5 match spell could see us in 6/7/8th place.
  • The championship is a battle (war of attrition actually) where literally every game can be won or lost - there are no gimmee's..

What is currently separating us from the pack is the tremendous team spirit and togetherness that Cooper has built. Added to some very decent squad depth it makes me very excited for the possibilities!!
    SpringheeledJackrob_hColin_swanseaGingergit