Football betting site Betway

Clueless Cooper

Posted that I thought Cooper was morphing into Monk, it appears worse than that. His interviews are know becoming as cringe worthy as Monks.

Yesterday, instead of admitting he made catastrophic errors, and seems unable to have any hint of a plan B, he trots out

..We fell short

....Our performance was poor

...We didn't do the basics

....Didn't press

Then the real chestnut....We wanted to show Stoke into certain areas....Where exactly ? Over Rossis maybe ?

What on earth is he talking about ? Fact is, he is playing players out of position, has no idea how to change the pattern of a game when we are being overrun, which at the moment is most games. He changes players, but the shape and style are constant.

Even when it was clear to all that Joe was running the game, he simply let it happen, didn't try anything to stop it, no man marking, no cutting the supply.

No attempt to make any shape change, Chanda off, move Celina where he should be, Ayew to number 9, and a winger actually on the wing, even it was Garrick. Coper did nothing.

Early season we picked up points we hardly deserved, we are now getting what we deserve. Three home performances that have been dire, the only win at a very poor Charlton team, who will be lucky to avoid a relegation scrap this season.

Whilst he has been dealt a very ordinary hand, he has a poor plan A, and no plan B, no idea how to change the game. We are more likely top be in the bottom 8 than top 8 unless he seeks some advice from this at the club who understand more of football than he does.

YJB07

Comments

•  you really are a caricature. bit like these old gits           https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puy_B6AeuKI
    Colin_swansea
  • Andrew

If you cut the hyperbole back a bit, you might find that many would agree with many of the points you're making (me being one) but bandying around phrases like 'clueless' and 'the new Monk' when we are still only one point off top isn't going to help your cause I don't think. 
  • It's never great to hear managers admit they simply don't know why their team couldn't perform on the day. We struggled to cope with their midfield diamond and there looked to be some heavy legs following Wednesday's battle. Only Connor had a strong first 45 for running, and then in the second half misplaced his first 3 passes in a row.

He talks a lot about "focusing on us" and "trusting our methods" and in practice so far this has been a rather rigid adherence to a single shape and like for like substitutions. Had Naughton not gone off early I'm sure we'd have seen Surridge on for Baston between 70 an 75.

Charlton will be fine this season. Made 5 changes from their close game with us and deserved at least a point at Fulham. They know how to win games, have hat mentality (i.e. sore losers as we saw). There are half a dozen worse teams that them in this league at least.
    YJB07
  • Agree with all of that. His inability to change tactics/systems/players correctly, doesn’t bode well, if we are looking to finish anywhere near the top 6. 

• Gary

I think many are being blinded by the position we are in, it is utterly false. We will be fortunate to make top half at this rate.

Many of the points we have picked up have been fortunate to say the least, Preston home, Leeds away and many more. 

YJB07
  • edited October 6
    He definitely has a problem playing players out of position when we have good players who could be playing instead, this is becoming a bit baffling. Playing the same formation and unable to change things when needed, plus some of the substitutions haven't been so good.

The Main thing that cost us the game for me - that I have mentioned - is overplaying  the same players and not giving them adequate recovery time (may be training a bit too hard too).

I don't agree with Andrew2 that he is clueless, for the first 20 minutes we did play really well and could have been 3 or 4 up. The players just seemed to run out of steam for me, coincidentally it was around the time of the minutes applause for Kyle.

I don't think that Cooper is clueless, but he has got a few things wrong which he could improve on. It is up to him if he is able to see and understand where he is going wrong and to improve himself. He is a rookie manager at this level, so we shouldn't be expecting him to get everything spot on, we don't need to overreact, and ignore all of the good things he's been doing -  we have seen how well we can play at times when on form. 

If he has what it takes he will learn from mistakes and will progress and improve. My biggest concern is that he may be the stubborn type, ignore the fans concerns, not listen to anyone, and just keep doing the same things being unable to see his errors. Carvalhal was like this, when everyone was screaming for him to change what he was doing, he was oblivious to it all and just continued with the same old inevitable ways everyone could see would get us relegated, he simply could not change.

Pablo
  • Andrew2 said:
    Gary

I think many are being blinded by the position we are in, it is utterly false. We will be fortunate to make top half at this rate.

Many of the points we have picked up have been fortunate to say the least, Preston home, Leeds away and many more. 

I agree with all of that Andrew but as I say, for me, labelling Cooper clueless or the new Monk is a bit premature. Potter did not get off to the greatest of starts, there were plenty of iffy performances under him (though I haven't seen one performance this season that would compete with the best of Potter)
    YJB07
  • Monk is an alright manager who took us to 8th in the PL. Sheff Weds have lost 1 in 5 since he took over or something like that, now 2 points behind us. Plays awful football and it a self-serving prat, but we had a period of success under him so it's not a complete panning of Cooper's abilities to make that comparison.

It's kinder than saying he's a Clement.
  • jasper_T said:
    Monk is an alright manager who took us to 8th in the PL. Sheff Weds have lost 1 in 5 since he took over or something like that, now 2 points behind us. Plays awful football and it a self-serving prat, but we had a period of success under him so it's not a complete panning of Cooper's abilities to make that comparison.

It's kinder than saying he's a Clement.
    @jasper_T may I politely suggest that's a very generous view of a man who probably more than anyone else - save for Huw Jenkins maybe - set us on a path towards eventual relegation.

Ask the Leeds and Boro fans what they think of him. You might be shocked. 
    Llanjack
  • Jasper
    Monk was not just a poor manager, he destroyed the style of play we had seen for many years. Not only that, he also was the instigator behind the anti Spanish attitude that was around the club for a while.

His opinion of his own greatness was astonishing, and the post match interviews an embarrassment to every Swansea City supporter.

Yes, Jenkins destroyed the club in one way, aided by Monk in another way. Kevin Cullis apart, the worst manager Swansea has ever employed, I include Mr Cork in that.
    YJB07Pablo
  • Il keep an open mind but I hope for our sake that due to his inexperience he’s not a coach who’s been coached to be a coach iff you know what I mean arrry!
  • To be fair to mr cork Andrew he wasn’t as bad as nick cusack! Cork brought in some quality players boundy smith Martin Thomas and I il never forget watching Keith walkers goal from behind the away end at ninian park.
  • Wow fair weather does not even start to describe the posters on here..in the first block of games Cooper's substitutions were game changing (Naughton v Brum etc.).
    Now Cooper is totally tactically inept and has somehow stumbled and blagged his way to the top of the league??
    This is a league where everybody can beat anybody on any given day. 
    The trick is to dust yourself down, learn the lessons and come out as the best version of yourself the next game
    @Andrew2 I find your comments interesting, but I would respect you more if you commented on the good and the bad rather than being silent and jumping in with a run of bad results to stir the sh1t. Surely there must be some good things that you see? I worry for you wallowing in constant negativity my friend!
    PabloazzuriswanSeaJack
  • Brownie said:
    To be fair to mr cork Andrew he wasn’t as bad as nick cusack! Cork brought in some quality players boundy smith Martin Thomas and I il never forget watching Keith walkers goal from behind the away end at ninian park.
    To be fair to Cusack, there hasn't been in my memory a previous Swans manager that has had to rely on signing players from behind closed doors end of season trial matches.
  • Jackareme said:
    Wow fair weather does not even start to describe the posters on here..in the first block of games Cooper's substitutions were game changing (Naughton v Brum etc.).
    Now Cooper is totally tactically inept and has somehow stumbled and blagged his way to the top of the league??
    This is a league where everybody can beat anybody on any given day. 
    The trick is to dust yourself down, learn the lessons and come out as the best version of yourself the next game
    @Andrew2 I find your comments interesting, but I would respect you more if you commented on the good and the bad rather than being silent and jumping in with a run of bad results to stir the sh1t. Surely there must be some good things that you see? I worry for you wallowing in constant negativity my friend!
    awesome post Jackareme....one of our best starts to a season ever and the dark negative posters take pot shots at the manager. Imagine what it would be like if we were Stoke! 
  • Jackareme

My posts are how I see it. Last season I posted many times on how I was enjoying the football, if not always the result. 
    I have always seen it as more important how we play than just how the results are, which was my beef under Monk. The football was dreadful (and lucky) the results will eventually give you what your football deserves.
    The way I see us moving under Cooper is like deja vu, after Laudruo left. The football was just about ok, as the players still had the Laurdrup in them, then game by game it eroded.
    I see the same now, the excellent football we played under Potter has all but evaporated.

So, it is not a constant moan, but when it is clear we are going backwards, no matter what the league table tells you, it is a huge cause for concern.

Some may say they expected little from this season, I would be included in that, however, I did not expect us to be heading towards the dinosaur football again so soon.

We have all seen how awful Cardiff are, we are heading for similar kick and rush,the only problem is we have less rush.
    YJB07garythenotrashcougarPablo
  • Andrew, I couldn’t agree more with everything you’re saying. Our football is absolutely pants under cooper, every game I’ve watched this season has been 50/50 hand break football, exactly like it was under monk after Laudrup got the boot! You can see he’s one of them “we must work harder” burning our players out and we’ve only played 11 games in the league!

Boring tatics, scared to make changes, out of his depth! The only bonus under cooper is we can defend set plays better and I put a lot of this down to Rodon I think CCV was the weak link in set plays last season once Rodon was inured. 

Our league position is blinding everyone in the league but the reality is we’re one of the worst footballing teams in the league, week on week potters awesome work is being out done, I dread to think where we’re heading under this Cardiff muppet! 

Pablo
  • The football definitely isn’t as attractive as under potter but I’m willing to give sc time to implement his style.10 games isn’t enough time for that in my opinion.
  • I think a more valid comparison instead of Cooper/Monk v Laudrup/Potter is to go back to the last time we found ourselves in our second season in the Championship.

We played open, entertaining if slightly naive football under Roberto and now Cooper seems to be the Paulo Sousa to Potter's Roberto. With far more emphasis on defensive shape and a slightly slower tempo, to the sacrifice of attacking threat. 

As I say, it is still very early days yet, things can change. Managers can take time to put their ideas across and settle on the right blend. Perhaps Cooper will calibrate the settings and start to become more expansive as the season goes on.

But right now, the new Sousa feels a better comparison to me. Not Monk.
    Pablo
  • We're the complete opposite of a Sousa side, playing open and fast. Potter had us slower, taking better care of the ball and conceding less chances.
    YJB07
  • edited October 8
    We had scored 10, conceded 6, and had a goal difference of 4 after 11 matches under Potter

We've scored 16, conceded 9, and have a goal difference of 7 after 11 matches under Cooper

• Mulder, Mike & Joe were in brilliant form at this point last season. Defensively we only started struggling around Nov/Dec after Mulder was dropped for Kalamity Kris, and the new contracts were handed out. Exclude the two Rotherham penalties and only Ipswich and Leeds put more than 1 goal past us before the Norwich hammering at the end of November, which started a poor run.
  • Interesting that in that table Villa and Bolton are on the same number of points. Lets just say that their fates went in very different directions after that....

SeaJack
  • jasper_T said:
    We're the complete opposite of a Sousa side, playing open and fast. Potter had us slower, taking better care of the ball and conceding less chances.
    Absolutely. I have no idea where these posters are coming from. We are a more attacking side this season, and that's generally why we are conceding the ball more often than I'd like. And we are better set up defensively too.
  • rob_h said:
    We had scored 10, conceded 6, and had a goal difference of 4 after 11 matches under Potter

We've scored 16, conceded 9, and have a goal difference of 7 after 11 matches under Cooper

Thanks Rob. Nothing like some evidence to balance the discussion.
    rob_h
  • Andrew2 said:
    Jackareme

My posts are how I see it. Last season I posted many times on how I was enjoying the football, if not always the result. 
    I have always seen it as more important how we play than just how the results are, which was my beef under Monk. The football was dreadful (and lucky) the results will eventually give you what your football deserves.
    The way I see us moving under Cooper is like deja vu, after Laudruo left. The football was just about ok, as the players still had the Laurdrup in them, then game by game it eroded.
    I see the same now, the excellent football we played under Potter has all but evaporated.

So, it is not a constant moan, but when it is clear we are going backwards, no matter what the league table tells you, it is a huge cause for concern.

Some may say they expected little from this season, I would be included in that, however, I did not expect us to be heading towards the dinosaur football again so soon.

We have all seen how awful Cardiff are, we are heading for similar kick and rush,the only problem is we have less rush.
    What was backward about the goal on Saturday?? I assume that is how CC wants us to play? 
  • @Andrew2 - I do agree that we have not been hitting the heights of our potential - however I don't see us heading "Monk like" into dinosaur ball.. We are still trying to play through the midfield and our movement (at times) is pretty good. We are in a league where the opposition will try (virtually every week) to make us look bad by disrupting our flow - and quite often these tactics will work.
    The front 4 are a work in progress, for sure, and we haven't quite found the magic formula - but we are a new group and i think some more consistency and attacking threat is around the corner.

Gingergit
  • I feel that the spell that Monk cast over Huw Jenkins and the team was broken last season by Potter. I can’t see that we’ve reverted back to that style under Cooper despite the obvious differences between him and Potter. Let’s not forget the calamitous games and seemingly strange team selections that were made under the stewardship of Potter. Whatever he got right let’s just remember that there were times that he got it wrong, like swapping Mulder for Nordfelt when, based on the early results, we were sound defensively. The slack he was given was due to his project being a work in progress. The same slack needs to be afforded Cooper as well as it’s his first season in charge.
    Colin_swanseadeekayYJB07
  • We have a rookie manager at club level
    He does not have 6 years in the Swedish league for practice either
    He is learning on the hoof
    At the moment he's lost his nerve for attacking football
    Hopefully it's the learning phase he's in
    What do you want - some longstanding Championship manager with a set approach or somebody capable of learning and improving?
    Mistakes are good if SC learns from them
    JackaremeSeaJack