Football betting site Betway

Match Discussion: Swans v Cardiff City - Championship 2019/20

edited October 30 in Swansea City
This is the place to discuss all things related to the Swans v Cardiff City Championship game on Sunday, 27 October 2019 at 12pm.

Referee Robert Jones will be assisted by Lee Venamore and Nigel Lugg, with Jeremy Simpson the 4th Official for the game.

Have a read of the Swans v Bluebirds Head to Head Stats since the first meeting in 1912.

Share your pre and post match thoughts, views on Steve Cooper's pre or post match comments, team selection and don't forget to submit your score prediction for our Swansea City Prediction League.

Comments

• Surely Swans cannot get any worse?
    The question I keep asking myself each week lately.
    Unless Cooper changes things and reverts back to wingers who are actually wingers and play Celina at 10, also change the captain, then things will stay the same.
    Rodon should never have played as he was unfit
    The Swans also cannot play with Ayew on wing, just to accommodate him in the team.
    Either play him at Striker or in 10 role, which would mean dropping either Borja and Celina.
    I don't see why these 3 players depending on performance cannot be interchange and used as impact subs
    Also Dhanda is nowhere near good enough to start.
    Grimes needs the captaincy taken away from him,give it to VDH, he is about the only other choice as you need a captain to start every game.
    Byers should be brought in alongside Grimes.
    Roberts needs a good kick up the backside
    Knaughton  needs to come in on the left or give Declan John a chance
    Useing Roberts and Knaughton/John as wing backs
    Routledge and/or Dyer need to be being used as impact subs
    Finally Cooper needs to give himself a good kick up the backside, stop all the pussy footing about with changes and post match crap comments and get back to the style of play we had in first 6 games
    Otherwise Get rid of him

My team Sunday
                                          Woodman
    Roberts,  VDH(captain),   Wilmot,   Declan John
                           Byers,              Grimes,
    Routledge,                       Celina,                     Petterson
                                         Borja

Subs: Knordfelt/Mulder, (Rodon if Fit enough for bench)/Cabango, Knaughton, Fulton, Dyer, Garrick, Ayew, 

• Ive been thinking about this. Warnock  isnt stupid. He knows how we play. Why not try something totally different. It cant get worse
                                                       WOODMAN
                                         VDH WILMOT RODON
    JOHN                                                                         NAUGHTON
                                GRIMES CELINA PETERSON
                                            AYEW
                                           BORJA
    jasper_T
  • MJD:  I agree with all of that, bar Wilmot.
    If Rodon is “fit” he has to start against a team of giants, and as direct as them. 
    But the changes won’t happen because Steve “Tommy” Cooper ( I’ll stick with 6 at the back, “Just like that ! “)  can’t think along those lines. 

The Brentford game was the 1st game I’ve walked out of, since I put my sticker on my seat, to reserve it, when Liberty Stadium was first built. 
    You have to start wondering if, and I hate using this term...” Has he lost the dressing room” ?? 
    Because the players looked lost. 

I cant think of a worse team and manager, to play next after that total disorganised, shambolic, not a clue ( by the manager) “performance”
    There again, trying to look on the bright side, it would be typical of The Swans, to play totally the opposite in this game, and win handsomely!

I think this could be a definitive game for Cooper’s future. 
    Loose it heavily, and another repeat of that shambles, and I can’t see the supporters putting up with it. 
    Win it, and he gains some credibility back, and we move on. 

• what's wrong with Grimes's captaincy oh wise old sage?
  • He's nowhere near vocal enough Pablo and I honestly believe it's affecting his game. 
  • Agree Gardo 
    Which is my reason to take captaincy off him
    VDH is the only player that can guarantee his position so it has to be him as captain imo
  • Agree mostly with @Morriston_Jack_Dubai team selection. Dyer for Routs for me only because Routs tends to drift inside a lot these days, which is pretty much what Ayew does now. Rodon for Wilmot if JR is fit of course.
  • Why on Earth did he use Rodon against Brentford when he could have kept him fresh and therefore injury free for the big one. He kept Celina on the bench and Rodon should have been alongside him.
  • Cheery reading ahead of the game:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50158837

Horrible club top to bottom.
  • One thing that gives me hope ahead of Sunday's game is that Cardiff will not score the kind of goals that Brentford scored against us, because they are just not that good.
    They will of course pose a different threat in terms of corners and, if Vaulks is playing, those vicious long throws but I'll just file that away in the back of my mind until Sunday.
    It will be an uninspiring horrible 1-1 draw in  my view, as is often the case in these games.
  • I may be on my own on this one, but I thought Tuesday's game was one of two distinctly different halves. The first half was unbelievably bad with no one, except perhaps Peterson, seeming to have any idea what the game plan was, or how to implement it. If indeed we had one of course.

However, with the introduction of Celina into the 10 role and a more creative Byers replacing Fulton, we at last had some attacking intent. So much so, that if we had taken just some of our chances, we could have ended up with a draw, albeit largely undeserved.

With that in mind, Sunday will be a season defining moment and not because of the opposition, but because it will demonstrate whether or not Cooper will have realised that if we are to have any success this season, we have to play with Celina in his best position, with wide men who can go past a defender and not playing with effectively six at the back. So for me, his team selection is as important as the result itself.
    Jackareme
  • I think he's stuck over Celina and can't see past making him number 11
    Shame as he is pi^^ing off arguably our best player
  • At the start of this season I thought we would be keeping up GP's style
     I thought we would have too much skill for Cardiff and just keep the ball away from them and out play them
    We've given up Swansealona and our best player is on the bench
    If we play Cardiff style hoofball then we are toast
    Fulham passed Cardiff off the park a few weeks back
    Bring back Roberto
  • Steve Cooper’s comments on him being especially interested in how the players would respond after a loss hides the all important question which is how he would respond to a loss as well. I don’t know of the earlier results in his career but his spell as the England U17’s coach shows that he lead a charmed life during both the group and knockout stages of the 2017 U17’s World Cup finals. I feel that his inexperience is showing through at the moment when it comes to responding to a loss in as much as he seems at a loss. This is transferring to the team and they are mirroring this during the game. Grimes I feel can’t shoulder this burden on his own to turn things around and the leadership needs to come from Cooper first and foremost.
    YJB07
  • The only way to beat a Warnock side, like you do a Pulis side, or an Allardyce side, is to starve them of the ball, make them chase it until they tire themselves out. 

If Graham Potter was still in charge, I'd have probably been more confident heading into this game then I've ever been.

With Cooper....well, let's just hope he can conjure a break from the norm because if it's more of the same, there is only going to be one winner. 
    JackaremeYJB07rob_h
  • deekay said:
    I may be on my own on this one, but I thought Tuesday's game was one of two distinctly different halves. The first half was unbelievably bad with no one, except perhaps Peterson, seeming to have any idea what the game plan was, or how to implement it. If indeed we had one of course.

However, with the introduction of Celina into the 10 role and a more creative Byers replacing Fulton, we at last had some attacking intent. So much so, that if we had taken just some of our chances, we could have ended up with a draw, albeit largely undeserved.

With that in mind, Sunday will be a season defining moment and not because of the opposition, but because it will demonstrate whether or not Cooper will have realised that if we are to have any success this season, we have to play with Celina in his best position, with wide men who can go past a defender and not playing with effectively six at the back. So for me, his team selection is as important as the result itself.
    I agree mostly with that except we have a dearth of wingers. Peterson looks ok but not a speedster like DJ. on the other side we have Garrick who is inexperienced. Our most influential players are in the midfield. Borja has seemed to go off the boil, and accommodating  Ayew creates an imbalance. and it's difficult to play Celina and Byers together from the off. I think Celina has done ok, because he can play wide whereas Byers can't for a lack of pace.
    All this name calling of Cooper is a bit below the belt. He hasn't done much wrong to me. The collective has just hit a bit of bad form. the team and we as fans need to just put it behind us and we need to get behind them. I bet the West Brom fans weren't too happy losing to Barnsley at home. But talk of sacking the manager is surely far too drastic and premature. Remember it was Leon and Curt who gave him the thumbs up, and I'd not question their judgement just yet. 
    jasper_T
  • Questions are bound to arise as to the suitability of the manager at times like these. As for supporting the team 100% that’s a given.
  • Hi Pablo , 

West Brom did not lose to Barnsley    ,
    garythenotrashcougar
  • Pablo

Not sure there is anyone else in the country who can match DJ for pace, so probably a little unfair to compare with him. I thought Peterson had an excellent game on Tuesday particularly so in the first half and it was only his third(?) game of the season, so probably not match fit yet. There's also Garrick as you state, plus Dyer and Routledge and I'm deliberately ignoring McKay. In my opinion all four of those will do a better job on the wing than either Celina or Ayew, neither of whom are suited to a wide role.

Accommodating Ayew, who undoubtedly has talent, is a major problem. I just don't see where he fits in. I didn't see it in his first spell and I'm certainly not seeing it now.

I don't believe that Borja has gone off the boil, it's just that the service to him has dried up and he is being asked to play with his back to goal and against giant centre halves (remember Gomis ?). When Celina started the second half on Tuesday that was ideally suited to Borja, who likes to get behind the centre backs, and have the ball played to feet. Unfortunately, Cooper is obsessed with taking him off for Surridge on or about the 70 min mark, irrespective of how the game is playing out.

For me, this isn't a case of name calling of Cooper, it's simply questioning his setting up of the team and whether or not he is prepared to change things when they clearly aren't working. If I saw that he was playing players in their best positions and making tactical changes when necessary, then I would be far happier. To date, I have seen nothing but the same shape and same problems from day one.

Oh, and nothing would give me greater pleasure than to see him prove me wrong
  • One man I’d pick for Sunday, would be Routledge. 
  • For what it's worth, the clown from Skysports prutton has backed the Swans 2-1
  • You know when things are bad, 
  • You know things are bad, when even The Drummer left early in the Brentford game!
    Hope he’s not repeating this Sunday!

• Needs to be there all game to drum them into shape if SC can’t do it.
  • Reading the press conference highlights and seeing Joe Rodon is "touch and go" for the game. IF Joe fails a fitness test or is less than 100% this will be the one thing that really grinds my gears (so far) about Cooper. Resting him against the Bees and playing Wilmot/Cabango was a no brainer - Tw@t!!
    deekayYJB07
  • Don't need it
    After 7 years in the PL Carabou cup winners, Europa League and  Martinez/Rodgers/Laudrup football ( even GP football ) we have had plenty to shout about for years
    So many things right even allowing for so many things wrong
    Not winning on Sunday doesn't wipe out the history
    Wouldn't mind some of that passing football back but there you go
    YJB07
  • Would love to get a new chant going for this one:

To the tune of allez allez allez 

We're the famous Swansea city
    We're called the Swansea jacks
    Our rivals are the cardiff
    And we hate the bluebird ****

They call themselves the soul crew
    And on that famous day
    They came down to the beachfront
    Where they tried to swim away
    Swim away swim away
    Swim away swim away... 

• Just watched Cooper's press conference, hes a bag of nerves hopefully that is not projected on to the players. Routs has to start, anything can happen but I am going for a 2-1 win :)
  • Didn't  see him nervous , good to see he has been talking to Leon , Tate about Cardiff and Brendan Rodgers 
    Need to get the selection  right , Dyer and Routledge  both or one should start ,

The only good thing from the Brentford  game was Petterson  performance  , created  a few chances  and nearly scored 2 ,  and the fans reaction  to a poor performance  , they  have a chance to put that right  ,