Football betting site Betway

Women on sports panels / commentary

Is it me?
Is it now obligatory to have a female opinion, on any sports panel, or commentary, be it TV or radio, streaming?
Be it football, rugby, cricket, darts, athletes, you name it. 

Comments

• it's you.

I dont see any problem with it. In fact a lot of them a better than the male pundits - and some by a VERY long way.

A bit like the Assistant Refs. Sian Massey being a cut above most if not all I have seen running the line in the last few years.
    WebmasterCadleigh
  • Careful j4cka you’ll have the police around your house arresting you for a hate crime ffs!
    Arch_Stanton
  • it's you.

I dont see any problem with it. In fact a lot of them a better than the male pundits - and some by a VERY long way.

A bit like the Assistant Refs. Sian Massey being a cut above most if not all I have seen running the line in the last few years.
    To reinforce that: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/uefa-europa-league/sian-massey-ellis-makes-history-with-europa-league-debut/ar-AAJjtU8?ocid=spartandhp
  • J4cka

Sorry, have an opinion, but we are not allowed this anymore are we. As Brownie says, the PC/Hate Crime police will be out in force.

Its too bad that we no longer have freedom of speech, unless of course you are Johnson or Mogg, and you can dress up the racism and call it a referendum.
    Arch_Stanton
  •  Haven’t got a problem with “our” Sian. Top linesperson/refferee’s assistant that she is. 
    Its the PC people running all media outlets, that now, feel they have to include a female, so as to tick the PC box. 
    With the advent of “Social meeja” people are now queuing up to be outraged. 
    I can see the TV commissioning editors now, We daren’t have a panel of all men for coverage of the Rugby World Cup, that would be insulting to women. 
  • I am all for equal rights. I agree Sian Massey has proved herself as an assistant referee, however I do not think most of the pundits are any good. That is my opinion and it has nothing to do with race or sex.
  • Plus Massey has been running the line for years, if she were a bloke shed have been in the middle, time for her to step up
  • Again true, how long ago was when Keys and Gray let themselves down?
  • Does it happen the other way with women’s sports? I can’t comment as I haven’t seen a man sat among 2 women to confirm this.
  • I think the key is having the best informed pundit - putting the sex of the presenter aside, some of the commentators and pundits have not experienced football at any significant level, and it shows in the comments.
    It is like asking Steve Torpey to present a fashion show, or Dion Dublin to present a property show (oh wait a minute!! :s )
  • I've got no problem with Gabby Logan, Jacqui Oatley, Caroline Barker, or Hazel Irvine to name just a few. Great presenters.

All qualified journalists, all excellent at what they do, in many cases better than their male presenter counterparts.

What I struggle with is the shoehorned false equivalence on the punditry. With the best will in the world, what have the likes of Alex Scott and Jill Smith done to deserve a platform with the likes of Gary Neville or Graeme Souness. I don't care if they've had 500 caps for England Women. Not one of those caps qualifies them to talk about the men's game.

Or if it does, then please can they also give Jimmie Krankie some air time, because he knows as much if not more than them about top level Premier League football. It's utter nonsense, as some have said it is totally forcing the diversity issue. The sad thing is there's no need to - the Beeb are doing Women's football to death these days, plenty of work for them there.

Same in reverse - I don't think it's right that Dion Dublin or Chris Sutton comment on women's football. They know sod all about it. Get the right people in the right job, qualified to do it. Simple as.
  • Most pundits I grew up with got the job for having played for Liverpool once upon a time. It's never been a job based on the merit of someone's analysis/insight.
  • At least playing for Liverpool at a very high level is part qualification for the job @jasper_T
  • Jackareme said:
    At least playing for Liverpool at a very high level is part qualification for the job @jasper_T
    You wouldn't think that to listen to them talk.
  • I would take Jess fishlock in the middle of our midfield before jay Fulton any day of the week and I mean it sincerely,she is mustard!
  • Jimmy Krankie and garythenotrashcougar. Never thought of them together, but it makes so much sense now :D
  • Jackareme said:
    I think the key is having the best informed pundit - putting the sex of the presenter aside, some of the commentators and pundits have not experienced football at any significant level, and it shows in the comments.
    It is like asking Steve Torpey to present a fashion show, or Dion Dublin to present a property show (oh wait a minute!! :s )
    Most male sports commentators are useless. I would happily spend the next decade having only women commenting on sports fixtures and that wouldn't even come close to addressing the decades of injustice that has been done to women in football alone since the male-dominated FA effectively outlawed the extremely popular women's game after WW1 as part of the male attempt to put women back in the kitchen and the bedroom after they helped this country win the war.

Jackareme - the vast vast majority of candidates who get into Oxbridge come from the tiny percentage of pupils who go to private schools. I am sure their parents would say that they are the best qualified candidates (just like today's male sports commentators think they are the best informed pundits). Would you not agree that the only way to break up this unhealthy domination by one class or gender is to insist on diversity? It's not that long since we were told that black players were too easily muscled off the ball or there'd never be an Asian in top-flight football.
  • SeaJack said:
    Does it happen the other way with women’s sports? I can’t comment as I haven’t seen a man sat among 2 women to confirm this.
    only until recently, and even in the recent Women's World Cup Finals, the main commentator was a man - usually shouty Jonathan Pearce. 
  • Not scfc related should be pulled.
  • Cadleigh said:
    Jackareme said:
    I think the key is having the best informed pundit - putting the sex of the presenter aside, some of the commentators and pundits have not experienced football at any significant level, and it shows in the comments.
    Most male sports commentators are useless. I would happily spend the next decade having only women commenting on sports fixtures and that wouldn't even come close to addressing the decades of injustice that has been done to women in football alone since the male-dominated FA effectively outlawed the extremely popular women's game after WW1 as part of the male attempt to put women back in the kitchen and the bedroom after they helped this country win the war.

Jackareme - the vast vast majority of candidates who get into Oxbridge come from the tiny percentage of pupils who go to private schools. I am sure their parents would say that they are the best qualified candidates (just like today's male sports commentators think they are the best informed pundits). Would you not agree that the only way to break up this unhealthy domination by one class or gender is to insist on diversity? It's not that long since we were told that black players were too easily muscled off the ball or there'd never be an Asian in top-flight football.
    I do get your point @Cadleigh, and empathize to a large extent - however, the way to get to true equity is to create an environment where women (in this case) have the opportunity to compete on a level playing field - it is NOT to put women in positions they are not qualified for because of their gender.
    Completely agree about the quality of some male pundits - but on the whole a Leon Britton or Leigh Trundle have more insight than a young girl out of media college, or playing in an amateur league in front of a handful of fans.
    South African rugby have got it right - post Apartheid the team remained overwhelmingly white until the black players demonstrated their ability to compete. The trick was a huge investment in rugby development to get the black population there.
    It does women a disservice when they are in roles simply to make up the numbers - it is a counter productive strategy in my opinion.
    garythenotrashcougar
  • Jimmy Krankie and garythenotrashcougar. Never thought of them together, but it makes so much sense now :D
    Thanks for that @RugeleySwan.

Have you got an opinion on the subject being discussed?

Just like your pal Pablo - never offers a scrap of own insight, just attacks others instead. Must be a fulfilling old life. 
  • Cadleigh said:
    Jackareme said:

You make some really good points here, a lot I agree with, esp re Oxbridge. Could do another hour on that!

But coming back to the subject in question. I'm with Jackareme on this one. It's the awkward, forced shoehorning that just doesn't work. Let's get the right people in the right jobs, qualified to do it.

Women's football is completely different to men's football. There is a massive quality gulf, even now, after years of improvements. The dynamic of the dressing rooms, by their very nature, are different to the men's game. Alex Scott and Jill Smith have been there, they understand it inside out. Let them tell us all about it. Don't send Dion Dublin in, what does he know? 

The same in reverse - Gary Neville understands a dressing room at the top of the men's game. Scott and Smith do not. Let's stop this nonsense of pretending they do just for 'diversity'. 

The Beeb are the worst for this false equivalence. A few years ago they had a debate on climate change - on one side a climate scientist, on the other former chancellor Nigel Lawson, who knows nothing about climate change but just doesn't believe in it. Utter nonsense, all the interests of so called 'balance'. 
  • The FA banned all member clubs from hosting women's football matches in 1921. This ban listed 50 years. After half a century of men excluding women from football, I think there's a fair bit of work to be done in order to compensate for the deliberate suppression of the women's game. So many people here talking about forced inclusion - but not much recollection of the forced exclusion that preceded it.
    Mark_Jack_LondonCadleigh
  • What does Sounness know about a modern top-level dressing room? Part of Bellamy's apology after the bullying verdict was that his experiences at the top level don't seem to be relevant to players coming through today, and he retired fairly recently.
    Mark_Jack_London
  • Daitumble said:
    Not scfc related should be pulled.
    That's why it's being discussed in 'The Lounge' category Dai not the Swans one :)
  • To be honest I think it’s got out of hand. There’s not one woman pundit that i want to listen to. And that’s not being sexist that’s my opinion. S4c have a female on for the Wales games with Hartson. She is awful but her Welsh is better than Hartson,s. And the commentator on motd Sparkes I think her name is, she has the most annoying voice ever, worse than Malcom Allen. On the plus side there are couple of excellent cricket  commentators on TMS and sky sports. They do know their stuff 
  • I’ve noticed the level of punditry does drop somewhat when people are shoehorned into roles that they are not suited to. Dion Dublin on Homes Under the Hammer is a classic and somewhat bizarre choice away from sport. Hazel Irvine is brilliant at her job without a doubt and fits perfectly into the dynamic with ex pros alongside her. She doesn’t look or sound out of place and that’s the difference between the two types of pundit/commentator/host. They stand out a mile as though they’ve just been parachuted in and seem to offer no real insight into what they are commenting on. There is another female host whose appeared on the snooker who doesn’t cut it for me and looks out of her depth when you compare her to HI. Garth Crooks and Lee Dixon are two of the better pundits in my opinion when it comes to football amongst others.
    jasper_T
  • I was with you all the way, until you said Garth Crooks. The guy is a complete muppet. 
    Some of his comments are bizarre to say the least. 

• There’s 2 very good reporters on sky sports bianca Westwood and Michelle Owen.2 hotties I know but fair play they both know what they’re talking about.