Football betting site Betway

What now Cooper

So, Cooper at last did what everyone knew that players need to play in their correct positions, and Ayew was worth a try as a false 9. Football we have played many times over the last 10 years. It seems somebody advised him to change, if that was Leon or Curt probably.

If it is the case, then what sort of manager do we have ? Somebody who can not see what is obvious even to most of the supporters ?

As for Saturday, I was aware that Cardiff were poor, and relied on the long ball, but in reality, they are much worse than I ever thought. That was hoof ball at its "best", no attempt at any football, simply whack it , I thought even Warnock had moved on somewhat from that. The only player of any ability, Laing, was removed, that was unbelievable. 

To be fair, we played slightly beer than Tuesday, but bit was only slightly, and difficult to judge against a team of no quality at all. We will see in the next few games if Cooper has the ability to change and learn, I am not counting on it.

Comments

• Good point about Laing. I laughed when he got hooked. The only threat they had all afternoon, he gave Naughton an outing, and off he came with loads of time left. Summed up Cardiff. 

I enjoyed yesterday for what it was and what it entails. The only two fixtures in the calendar where I only care about the result and nothing else. 

But like you I'm similarly reluctant to get too excited just yet. The Brentford game was so bad, I cannot forget it in a hurry. Cooper still has lots to prove but yesterday was a strong step in the right direction. 
  • It also seems to me that Leon or Curt advised.
    Cardiff really bad.
    I think that the passing was a little faster this time, the result immediately visible.

• Agree @Andrew2 and @garythenotrashcougar - the only observation I would make was that (although that was the worst Cardiff team I have ever seen) the improvement in the Swans was more than "slight" - the width (starting positions) , movement and speed of passing were noticeably all improved. 
    Long way to go, of course, but this is the path that we MUST stay on.
    garythenotrashcougar
  • Ayew didn't play as a "false" 9. He played as a 9, running the channels and holding the ball up. Always been best as a classic, high-energy centre forward. Guidolin knew.
    Jackaremegarythenotrashcougar
  • True @jasper_T - and for me if it's Ayew v Baston for that slot Ayew wins every time. More energy, better movement.
  • Don't you think that Ayew needs some target man with him on the ground. I kind of do...
  • Not really , with 2 wide men  , 1 striker suits the team , the only way to have 2 strikers is to play 4 4 2 , personally  I like the 4 2 3 1 ,
  • More fluid the better. We can only accommodate one of Borja or Ayew. Agree @Malc 4-2-3-1 suits us. I bang on about it but pace and width works for us.
  • I really hope SC pushes on from here now. I have the feeling A2 that whatever he does now you’ll want him to fail. Sad really, why not join up with Morriston DJ and form your own forum. That would make for some joyous reading. 
    We did win the SW derby yesterday did we???
    SeaJack
  • SVJack said:
    More fluid the better. We can only accommodate one of Borja or Ayew. Agree @Malc 4-2-3-1 suits us. I bang on about it but pace and width works for us.
    Me too @SVJack Me too with knobs on.
  • Barmyjack said:
    I really hope SC pushes on from here now. I have the feeling A2 that whatever he does now you’ll want him to fail. Sad really, why not join up with Morriston DJ and form your own forum. That would make for some joyous reading. 
    Sounds more like you're the one with fantasies.
  • Barmy Jack
    You ought to read posts properly before slagging off other posters, even though it has not been abusive.
    Get the name right too, if shortening it,  Morriston JD .....not DJ

Just because someone has a different opinion does not mean they are wrong.

If you believe so, as is your right, then offer logical sensible argument ....which is what this forum is supposed to be about.

I hope you will accept my criticism in good heart, and offer logical argument and not carry on to consider that you have the right to be a self appointed vigilator of what is a correct opinion or not
  • And to think GP was being slagged off for too many mid game changes
     We played a lot of bad away games under GP where we were passive and didn't attack or create too many chances at all even though we could do it at home
    Soft centre on set pieces too
    This was with GP who yes created a team playing stylish football that finished mid table with a 20 goal centre forward and Man U's best player this season 
    Let's give the guy a bit of time shall we
    He's got a chance
    SeaJackbarry
  • GP was not the messiah for us. Neither is Steve Cooper (although that may change as the season progresses). Both had/have their faults and weaknesses. The sum total of GP achievements was a 10th position finish. As far as achievements go there were 3 main messiahs and those are Roberto Martinez, Brendan Rodgers and Michael Laudrup. It remains to be seen where in the table we will end up this season to gauge SC as our fourth but so far so good in the scheme of things.
  • SeaJack said:

The sum total of GP achievements was a 10th position finish.
    Plus an FA Cup at final where we was robbed.

• Lots of opinions, some dont seem to be consistent with the facts.

We are in 4th place, 1 point behind where we were under BR when he got us promoted, and well ahead of where we were under GP last season. BR had a settled team and GP had to create one.

SC has done a good job so far this season and I want him to stay. We need some continuity rather than changing our managers constantly.

Id like SC to work on the fast paced passing we started the early season with, which was a welcome development from last year.

Lots of emotion flushing through the forum, but lets keep some perspective.
  • Lots of opinions, some dont seem to be consistent with the facts.

We are in 4th place, 1 point behind where we were under BR when he got us promoted, and well ahead of where we were under GP last season. BR had a settled team and GP had to create one.

SC has done a good job so far this season and I want him to stay. We need some continuity rather than changing our managers constantly.

Id like SC to work on the fast paced passing we started the early season with, which was a welcome development from last year.

Lots of emotion flushing through the forum, but lets keep some perspective.

A well reasoned post @SpringheeledJack but facts work both ways - as @Martyn's excellent recent post proved, possession stats are down (frighteningly so), passing accuracy is down, chances created are down, shots on our own goal have gone up. 

Plenty to like, sure, but also plenty to be concerned about. Let's hope Cooper has learnt from the Cardiff game which was our most complete 90 minute performance of the season and much more like what we all want to see.
  • @garythenotrashcougar Not sure I completely agree with the change in performance stats being frightening. Last year we ended up with 56% possesion, so far this year we are at 53%. Last year our pass completion was 84%, currently its about 80%. I believe we are averaging over 14 attempts on goal per match slightly better than last year.

Im not sure there are many on this forum who are more in favour of playing possession football, than I am. So Id prefer higher possession than we even achieved last year and am never completely happy unless we accumulate at least 550-600 passes in a match.

However I try to keep perspective and not get carried away with any single match. So whilst overall the Cardiff result was good, the performance wasnt. Only 364 passes, VdH and Wilmot with our two worst pass completion stats and only 3 players achieving better than 70%.

So yes to better possession and pass completion but at least we dont concede from every set piece cross into the box!

We just need enough perspective to see through the emotional haze to the reality, imo.
  • @SpringheeledJack

Noted - but Martyn's comparison I was referring to was last 10(12?) of last season v first 10/12 of this, which is a fairer comparison than 46 v 10/12. 
  • Like Steve Cooper, GP also began the season using Fulton.  It wasn't until Fer's injury in the new year that GP settled on starting both Grimes and Byers together in midfield. Whilst Fulton can do a lot of the donkey work there, he doesn't look the most natural fit for a side that wants to play out from the back, with the challenges that brings. Now it seems that SC has come to the same conclusion and I would like to see the Grimes and Byers combination given a run of games.

Secondly he's also recognised that Ayew is our most effective centre forward, particularly when surrounded by other mobile players.  It's good to also have the different options that Baston and Surridge provide but neither have looked as effective as Ayew in the sole striker or centre forward role.

Despite last week's improvements, I don't expect to see a dramatic transformation in the football played so far this season.  In the meantime, I would settle for incremental steps towards that style many of us would love to see return again.

I am sure that last Sunday's result will have restored confidence and belief in the players and with Kalulu and Peterson yet to show what they are capable of, we've potentially got a few more positives to look out for.

Jack Army!

• I am also a big advocate for having great possession and passing statistics, and don't like to see this trending backwards. As per Brendan Rodger's mantra I truly believe your team can "rest" in possession and make the opposition work physically harder to reclaim the ball.
    The passing stats against Cardiff, however, were a slight anomaly as Cardiff came with a preconceived plan to press heavy and high up the pitch to stop us playing out from the back. As a result Woodman VdH and Bidwell were knocking the ball over the press which allowed us to get on the front foot. It also explains the drop in accuracy of passing from our centre backs - as their passes were over a longer distance.
    in short if Cardiff had not pressed in the way that they did we would have seen a much higher count of passes between the keeper and the back  4 as we tried to build from the back. Does this make sense to your views @SpringheeledJack ?
  • @Jackareme In part it does, which is why Im not getting too carried away. However passing stats were down across every player, so while I agree the tactics of trying to bypass the first line quickly were used it was only partially succesful. More work needed probably.

The pass completion stats I put down to an attempt to move the ball quickly and incisively. Again a partial success.

@garythenotrashcougar on the comparison, looking at the last matches against the first matches are a comparison but probably an unfair one to SC. A more valid comparison would be the equivalent first group of matches for both managers.

In either case, worth looking at the outcomes as well!
    Jackareme
  • Just a thought but do you think the new rule about the ball not having to leave the area from goal kicks and subsequent high press at these restarts by most teams has effected the passing stats?
  • Perhaps its encouraged a better high press, like most rule changes, best if used sparingly rather than too often. Then it can help but if its expected, then teams will have plannedand worked hard to counteract.