Football betting site Betway

Cooper Still Clueless

There we go, top of the league for an hour or two, and I will say it as it is, Cooper is a disaster, he has no idea what he is doing. We are having as much luck now, as when Monk was here.

Dyer was shocking, as bad as I have ever seen him, Ayew, awful. We have no pace, and the only pace we do have he does not use him. He is clearly trying to force Baston out I guess ?

Is there a deal that we can not hook Ayew ?

No passing, hardly an effort on goal against a dismal side slightly better than Cardiff. This is the poorest football we have served up since the glory days of Monk, and it takes me back to the KJ times and before.

Top of the league we may be for an hour, proud of the football we play ? Never, not for me, this is garbage, can hardly string three passes together. 

We can not continue playing like this.Please, something needs to change.
deekayYJB07

Comments

• Annoyingly and inevitably some of what you say is true - in the first half we did string passes together were you asleep then ?
    Not happy with the second half because we didn’t have and couldn’t get the ball and couldn’t keep the ball long enough , it was a diabolical steal to win that game but tell me Mr2 if Potter was in charge would we be where we are now in this league , a league that lies and lies and lies ? - or maybe misconstrues the truth just like you !?
  • Re original post - I would contend that we saw some really bad stuff under Clement and Guidolin as well, but certainly one thing we can all agree on is this is not Potter, Laudrup, Rodgers or Martinez football.

This has in fact got more in common with Paulo Sousa's season than anything else. Lots of scratchy wins early on, with a consistent play off position masking poor performances. Oh, and there was a derby win in there too, to throw people off the scent a bit. But can anyone remember how that ended up? 

As I've said on a previous thread - people have very short memories. 
    YJB07
  • Sorry lads for me it’s down to the full backs and a cm enforcer address this and we’ll be flying!naughton and bidwell are two really gud season pros but for the lower end of the division.not for the Swansea way!

• Yes Andrew I agree we are not the best team in the world , we punched above our weight for the last ten years and now we are back to reality lets sack everyone who is part of SCFC now.
    Give me strength.
  • Re original post - I would contend that we saw some really bad stuff under Clement and Guidolin as well, but certainly one thing we can all agree on is this is not Potter, Laudrup, Rodgers or Martinez football.

This has in fact got more in common with Paulo Sousa's season than anything else. Lots of scratchy wins early on, with a consistent play off position masking poor performances. Oh, and there was a derby win in there too, to throw people off the scent a bit. But can anyone remember how that ended up? 

So by emphasising very are you criticising those who do not remember  the Sousa season. It was 10 years ago. I remember the games I went to but not the whole season, I remember the style of football but that's it so excuse me if I don't remember every single minute if it. However I do remember some awful performances last year, the first half against Wigan at home for example and as much I appreciate what Potter did last year and the football that was eventually played some on here seem to have airbrushed out the bad performances or is it them that have Very short memory
    enaitchSeaJack

No comparison can be made whatsoever with the Sousa season where apart from bringing in a coach that was only good enough to put the cones down and carry the bibs, Roberto took all of his backroom staff to Wigan, even offering a contract to the kit person. Youngsters Keri Morgan, Chad Bond, Casey Thomas and Jazz Richards were given their opportunities in the first team while player recruitment was put in the hands of Huw Jenkins. It wasn't pretty to watch and few goals were scored, but what can be drawn from that season was the organisational abilities of Sousa and the poor calibre of players recruited by Jenkins. 
    SeaJack
  • Colin Laugher

I have nowhere said sack everyone at Swansea City have I ? 

I simply state the football is awful, despite results. We ALL criticised Warnock's Cardiff the season they were promoted, so, if you are saying who gives a stuff about the performance as long as the result is good, then simply say it.

For me, the performance and how we play is vital. This has little to do with money, but the calibre of coach we employ. It also has little to do with the players that we have either, to play attractive football.

Roberto took the same players that Kenny had and turned them into a possession based, total football team in weeks. I would say now that all the good work put into the players bu Potter, has been completely eroded by Cooper.

So, its not about "we are punching above our weight so be grateful for it" if we continue with the attitude of we do not care less about the football, just results, it will shortly take us further backwards.

To take what you said, if its only results that interest you, then give me strength.
    garythenotrashcougar

So by emphasising very are you criticising those who do not remember  the Sousa season. It was 10 years ago. I remember the games I went to but not the whole season, I remember the style of football but that's it so excuse me if I don't remember every single minute if it. However I do remember some awful performances last year, the first half against Wigan at home for example and as much I appreciate what Potter did last year and the football that was eventually played some on here seem to have airbrushed out the bad performances or is it them that have Very short memory

@SussexJack

I was drawing a comparison between the Sousa season and what we're seeing this season because there are - despite Colin Swansea's protestations - many of those. 

If you can't remember that season then ok, but I do, and I am seeing several similarities both in the football we're playing and the fan reactions to it "ah well at least we're winning" etc. 

That season we were firmly in and around the play offs pretty much all season but we got our just desserts in the end. I'm not one of these who wants to airbrush Sousa out of our history by the way, he taught some of our players the dark arts, which they needed after the naivety of the season before. But his style of play was turgid, unambitious and frankly boring - and imo that has several things in common with Cooper. 
  • Andrew - your criticism of Cooper is totally wrong, it was Cooper's changes late on that got us 3 points.  I agree about what some have said about Ayew's distribution, but your assessment of Dyer is again totally wrong - man of the match for us yesterday. Not sure why Baston is being kept out - potential sale in Jan already lined up? Bidwell and Wilmot played well, others not so well. And the passing was poor overall but that can be fixed on the training ground.
  • For what it's worth, I think it's far too early to come to any conclusions as to Cooper's abilities. As a minimum, that must wait until the end of the season. However, it is only natural that from the first minute of his first game, we begin to form an opinion as to his credentials and as the games begin to pass and he is asked to deal with different situations, those opinions are altered or confirmed depending on the circumstances. 

Yesterday's game was one of those moments for me. We are 1-1 away from home with 10-15 minutes to go and SC has to decide between bringing a winger off and replacing him with a full back, thereby going for the draw, or replacing the winger with another winger who had an excellent outing the week before, and going for the win. He chose the former.  That for me, indicates SC's mindset. Yes there are times when shutting up shop is the right decision, but yesterday wasn't one of them.

I would also question his man management in that situation. What sort of message does that send out to Peterson ? SC constantly states how we are a collective and how everyone is important to the team effort, yet when he takes off two wingers and replaces them with a full back and a centre forward and continues with them in a wide capacity, he doesn't trust Peterson in that role. Does he not realise the doubts and pressures that places on Peterson ?

Before anyone jumps back with the 'we won didn't we ?' argument, which I understand, but in my opinion, he got lucky with the decision, because can anyone suggest that Connor did anything in an offensive capacity before that cross, and we shouldn't be misled by that piece of good fortune ? 

YJB07
  • perhaps Cooper wanted to bring on a player that is adaptable to play an attacking or wide defensive role in the latter stages of the game. Pressure was mounting on the Swans during the last 10 minutes or so and the home left back Robinson was seen perhaps as a threat. Roberts was brought on with 20 minutes to play while bringing on Surridge with 11 minutes left wasn't a defensive move. Routledge and Dyer are both hard working defenders who work in tandem with their full backs and perhaps Cooper doesn't trust Peterson to have that defensive nous in his game. Montero and Barrow were such examples
    Gingergit
  • We're not playing fluent football, and give away lots of chances
    Yet we are 3rd top on goal difference and joint top on points so we must be doing something right
    Fact is, anybody can beat anybody in this league
    Brentford stuffed us but are only 7 points off top and are in the bottom half
    Any team down to about 14th could get promoted, however bad they are
    And a lot of them play like Cardiff, big physical hoofball teams
    Only one team consistently has superior possession and more efforts on goal than their opponents and that's Leeds on Sky and they have 28 points too
    Fulham play lovely possession football and lost 3-0 at home to Hull so what matters is what works against that day's opposition
    Yesterday Huddersfield beat Brentford by outworking and harrying them not trying to play football
    Danny Cowley said they had studied Brentford and worked out a plan
    We clearly hadn't which is more of a worry for me
    Still early days and at this rate we will have 80 points at season end
    Will we still be moaning then?

• Northern swan

Yes, I will be if we continue to be set up to play as we are.

Somebody above suggested Dyer had a good game yesterday and was maybe MOTM. Seriously, you need to start watching a different sport, it was about th poorest performance ever seen from Dyer, and that takes some doing. 

He gave the ball away continuously, made any amount of errors, and see,ed to play the game with little or no interest. That applied to half the team, Wigan not only liked a better side than us, they also appeared as if they wanted it more.
  • Bad performances and good results?
    W4  D3 L0 is the best away start I can ever remember with a Swans team and I have been watching them since the 1950's. Is that all by accident?
    OK if the performances were better we'd all be delighted but we are in the Championship
    Neither do we have a core of 6 or 7 players who are capable of going on and shining in the PL - as we did last time in this league - so technically we are poorer than we were last time around
    As we don't have the players of last time around so we can't play Roberto style   with the same accuracy
    My concern is for a better tactical grasp from the bench so we stop giving away all the chances coming from harum scarum end to end football
    The manager is learning about some of the tactical stuff  and makes mistakes
    It's all about how fast he learns
  • Bloody hell Andrew, are you ever happy? 

I was there on Saturday, and d'you know what, we didn't play well after their equaliser. We were slow and ponderous in attack and our passing was way off the mark. However, it was still reminiscent of our 2nd half away to Bolton last season and much of the game away at Preston too, so to blame it all on Cooper is extreme in my eyes.

Wigan have an excellent home record so it was always going to be a tough game. Whilst they did create more than us we certainly weren't "under the cosh" for most of the game, and defended quite well.

I'm going to enjoy this season for what it is - a bit of a surprise at the mo, and no, I'm not just a happy clapper who's hell bent on results.

Football is cyclic and as much as I enjoyed and was amazed by our last 10/12 years, unless you're one of the huge clubs, it ain't gonna last. And to me, that's what football is about. Supporting your team through the good times and the bad. And these times are hardly bad at the moment. I'm not going to get involved in a "pissing contest" as a previous poster rightly commented, but I started supporting the Swans in 1985 so I've seen my fair share of dross, believe me.

You sound like an erudite and intelligent chap Andrew, but your negativity is absolutely ridiculous at times, and yes, you are entitled to your view, but when your view is so myopic it does tend to lessen your argument a bit.

Swansea is in my blood, and I will be there no matter what, and yes, that is a massive fault of my own and thousands of other fans. We don't really have a choice, do we? And all the owners and powers that be know that.

STID
    moorlandsPablo
  • Bearing in mind that the main argument seems to be over whether we've lost a passing style I'm afraid the comparison with Sousa is bizarre.

Sousa arrived with the club in total disarray. As Colin has pointed out, Roberto departed taking the entire backroom team with him. He also effectively took Jason Scotland and Jordi Gomez who had contributed 40 goals between them the previous season. Bearing in mind that their replacements were questionable and that defending had never been effective under Roberto, it didn't take a genius to work out that if we were going to get points we had to tighten up in defence.

However, the idea that we became some sort of long ball team is risible. Sousa improved the defence by (a) working on defensive shape and organisation (something that never seemed to particularly interest Roberto) and (b) learning how to defend by at times keeping the ball and killing a game. This was very much of the traditional Italian method and very typical of the Portuguese school of though around that time. Okay, it may have been dull at times but it was hugely effective. It was certainly not "lucky" but a game plan that was for the most part executed well. Many of us had feared that we were relegation bound that season but instead we achieved our best league finish since 1983, and also laid the foundations for the subsequent success under Brendon.

However conservative Sousa might have been in terms of attacking ambition his team passed the ball well. The issue with Cooper seems to be whether we are doing that. The similarity is that both have had to deal with losing the best two attacking players from the previous season.

As a footnote, those who dismiss Sousa as a grimly defensive coach should also have kept an eye on his Fiorentina team a few years back. There he had some genuine attacking talents and played a much more open and exciting game. I saw them beat Lazio 3-2 in that era (their previous home result had been a 5-4 win over Inter).

Whether we are riding our luck or actually defending well at present will come out over the season. However, I cant help noting that some people have extremely selective memories and eulogise the likes of Brendon, Laudrup and Potter while blotting out the bleaker performances under all three.

SpringheeledJackdeekaymoorlandsSeaJackJackaremeWynPablo