Football betting site Betway

Why would we make Ayew Vice Captain?

Im struggling with this one. I know Ayew can be a good player, when he focuses, but I struggle to see him as a potential captain.

I presume there are still contractual issues with VdH, and if there weren’t presumably he won’t be overjoyed at being passed over as captain and now vice captain.

I could have understood VdH as vice captain, so I’m presuming there is no sign of a new contract, because he seems the logical choice to me.

Comments

• Maybe the fact that Ghana have chosen him as the captain of their team at international level has some bearing on this decision.
  • Ayew brings experience to a relatively young squad while no doubt there is the probability that vd Hoorn, with no likelihood of him extending his contract, could be off in January, rather than walk away next May at the end of his contract.
  • edited November 5
    I’d reached the same conclusion about VdH, it will be a real shame if it happens. VdH would have been my first choice.

Personally I don’t see any captain material in Ayew. The fact the Ghanaian coach has made him captain wouldn’t influence me one way or another.

I’d much prefer Routs as vice captain. He has far more relevant experience and is more well respected in the squad.

Nathan certainly has more experience and I’d be much happier with him rather than Ayew, if for some reason Routs couldn’t do it.

• Surely given Ayews wages were still going to try and move him on in January?
  • I think moving Ayew on in January is relevant to actually getting a realistic offer for him.
  • I’m presuming it’s unlikely we will sell him in January, as we have named him vice captain.

If he has scored 4-5 more goals by January then he might attract some offers.
  • Surly the question is ,why NOT make Ayew Vice Captain? 
  • Well, he hasn’t been a consistent performer for us, he has spent long periods of his contract away from the club on loan, We have more experienced players, who are better respected by the squad. He has a tendency to over elaborate with purpose. Over the period he has been with us he hasn’t imo demonstrated any significant leadership ability.

On the plus side, he is a good player, and he certainly works hard.

On balance not vice captain material for me.

@bigoak why do you believe he is the best candidate?

deekay
  • On balance, a really good recommendation from Scott to replace Ayew could be in the offing in January while the appointment of Ayew as vice-captain could impress a club to seal a deal and move him off the wage bill. Football works in mysterious ways!
  • Hi Jack,

Well ,his experience and current form seems too be too good reasons
  • With @SpringheeledJack all the way on this one. Very similar to Potter's baffling Leroy Fer decision. You can't hang your hat on this guy - he could be off in January and he wasn't exactly slow to bugger off on loan after we'd got relegated. Strange one, but there we are
  • edited November 5
    Well we have more experienced players and I’m not convinced his form for the team is any better than our other strikers.

Ayew has 5 goals and 3 assists from 12 starts (1162 mins)

Borja has 6 goals and 1 assists from 12 starts (956 mins)

Surridge has 5 goals and 0 assists from 4 starts (511 mins)

Ayew can do some great things but more often than not they make him look good in the match rather than helping the team win.
    bigoak
  • The proof of the pudding is in the eating as they say. It will certainly be interesting over the coming months to see how he warms to the task. If it comes off then the pressure on Grimes as captain may well be felt less by him with this newly added support and allow him to relax into the role of captain even more. Who knows maybe his A game will return in full as a result.
  • In fairness to Andre - while I believe his style of play is not often a great fit, and he is obviously on a ridiculous contract..
    I always see him busting a gut for the cause and trying to inspire others. Reports say he is a very positive influence around the club - and I see a lot of effort on his part.
    As an experienced international I can see worse choices (Leroy Fer for one!)
    SeaJackbigoak
  • Well, he hasn’t been a consistent performer for us, he has spent long periods of his contract away from the club on loan, We have more experienced players, who are better respected by the squad. He has a tendency to over elaborate with purpose. Over the period he has been with us he hasn’t imo demonstrated any significant leadership ability.

On the plus side, he is a good player, and he certainly works hard.

On balance not vice captain material for me.

@bigoak why do you believe he is the best candidate?

this season has seen him play a significant role...he has a work ethic that is good and can rub off on others. He is a premier league quality attacker with loads of experience, plus he's a talker. The staff have chosen to recognise this, as leaders are a plus to a young team, as Colin has said.
    I'd like to know who you think is more experienced? Only Naughton, Dyer or Routs  come close and they have no international experience or of playing in different countries. 
  • SeaJack said:
    The proof of the pudding is in the eating as they say. It will certainly be interesting over the coming months to see how he warms to the task. If it comes off then the pressure on Grimes as captain may well be felt less by him with this newly added support and allow him to relax into the role of captain even more. Who knows maybe his A game will return in full as a result.
    there's an assumption Grimes feels pressure as captain....I've not seen a trace of it....but the more leaders on the pitch we have the better. Have you heard Grimes say anything on the matter? has the manager spoken? if they have I've not heard it. 
  • @pablo I have already suggested Routs, Nathan and VdH would be better choices in experience terms in my opinion and His role for the team hasn’t been any more significant in output terms than Borja and Surridge, as you can see from the results above. He isn’t a primary striker, he works a lot better alongside a striker.If we had a formation that allowed him to play alongside Borja, I could see that working, but I believe his time as leading the line, will not be good for our overall results.

He is clearly talented, and works hard, but I’m not convinced we play better with him in the team. He spurns the simple and effective pass too often and goes down blind alleys.

It is clear that SC trusts him and is prepared to make him vice captain. I hope he is right but I remain unconvinced its a good choice.
    deekay
  • It never ceases to amaze the naivety of some who believe everything that comes out of the club, and also believe that if it didn't come out of the club it can't be true. 

Absolutely laughable  :joy:
  • @pablo I have already suggested Routs, Nathan and VdH would be better choices in experience terms in my opinion and His role for the team hasn’t been any more significant in output terms than Borja and Surridge, as you can see from the results above. He isn’t a primary striker, he works a lot better alongside a striker.If we had a formation that allowed him to play alongside Borja, I could see that working, but I believe his time as leading the line, will not be good for our overall results.

He is clearly talented, and works hard, but I’m not convinced we play better with him in the team. He spurns the simple and effective pass too often and goes down blind alleys.

It is clear that SC trusts him and is prepared to make him vice captain. I hope he is right but I remain unconvinced its a good choice.
    yes you did state that and I also said you're wrong because all those you mention have no international experience [except at youth level], and have not played at the top level in other countries. Ayew is a vastly more experienced pro than your choices. Captain of Ghana and went to a world cup. Just stating the facts on the matter. 
    there does seem to be a perceived problem in seeing exactly where he best suits, i'll leave that to the manager who sees up close his contributions in training and from the touchline. 
    I suggest that this is not recognised because he came with a big price tag and he's not really been forgiven for not scoring in our relegation season. One thing I am glad about is that he is playing and wants to play for us. We're actually in possession of a very talented player. hopefully not seen the best of him yet and hope the vice captaincy helps him find his best form 
  • edited November 6
     @Pablo Yes you did, and I fail to see why playing international football makes a player a candidate for captaincy or vice captaincy.

If that was the case all international players would be captains or vice captains for their clubs. They are not because international experience has little, if anything to do with being a good captain or vice captain.

Ayew is captain of Ghana, however that is a very recent appointment,  May 2019,
    and that appointment wasn’t without its own controversy.

Clearly our opinions differ on this one.