Football betting site Betway

Match Discussion: Sheffield Wednesday v Swans - Championship 2019/20

edited November 11 in Swansea City
This is the place to discuss all things related to the Sheffield Wednesday v Swans Championship game on Saturday, 9 November 2019 at 3:00pm.

Referee David Webb will be assisted by Paul Hodskinson and Timothy Wood, with Carl Boyeson the 4th Official for the game

Have a browse of the Owls v Swans Head to Head stats when the sides have met at Hillsborough.

If you are going to the game at Hillsborough have a read of our Travelling Jacks Guide to Sheffield Wednesday.

Share your pre and post match thoughts, views on Steve Cooper's pre or post match comments, team selection and don't forget to submit your score prediction for our Swansea City Prediction League.

Comments

• edited November 5
    This will be a tough match, definitely another banana skin.

Against Wigan we didn’t control the match, Wigan were aggressive in the press, they crossed a lot, were prepared to take many shots and we can expect the same from Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday.

In my opinion, we didn’t pass enough, we weren’t accurate and we were forcing longer passes that weren’t on. There were a few of other issues, we weren’t prepared/able to take on and beat players, we rarely crossed (even though we scored both goals from crosses) and we weren’t getting enough players in the box. As a result we only had 6 shots throughout the match.

It is clear that we could do with some pace out wide and I hope Garrick, even if he doesn’t start, gets at least 30 mins on Saturday.

Fundamentally we need to get back to our passing with purpose, a shorter pass and move game but with the passes happening quickly and players moving into space. We looked very static on Saturday with the player with the ball not having enough passing options.

A number of us have said it before we are best at defending by keeping the ball. The match on Saturday was crying out for us to do that after we scored, but we didn’t. To be fair Wigan raised their intensity, but we need to do the same in those Circumstances and we didn’t until late on in the match.

So to win on Saturday we need 12-15 shots on goal, and to create those opportunities we need to have some pace out wide, be prepared to take on and beat players, keep the ball for long periods and get 3 or 4 players in the box regularly.

SW will play a long ball, crossing and lots of shots type game, sound familiar? If we can get 60% possession, about 500 passes, it will reduce the amount long balls they can play and take the pressure off. However those passes need to be accurate, short and quick.

Their formation is likely to be 4-1-4-1, so we will need enough resources in midfield or they will be able to overload the press in midfield. How we deal with their press may well be the deciding factor.
    WynYJB07
  • Being a positive sort of person I would think that Wigan was a case of after the Lord Mayors show. The players thought they could just turn up and we would get a result without putting much of an effort in. As luck would have it we won as can be the case with teams destined for promotion but not playing well. We have to control the game from the outset keeping their fans quiet or getting on their backs. More shots instead of the passing around the box at a snails pace looking for an opening that never comes. If we perform anywhere near our best we can win again and handsomely.
    SpringheeledJackbarry
  • @azzuriswan much as there was a lot left to be desired in the performance at Wigan attitude commitment and togetherness are never in question in this squad (the biggest plus for Cooper). A quick glance at Wigan's home record will confirm that winning there is a major achievement.
    SpringheeledJack
  • Agreed Wigan are no slouches, they are an athletic team with a good attitude. It was a good win, not many teams will win there.

Its good to have the togetherness to see these tough matches out, however we can’t rely on just that, all the time. It’s a great extra to have but time to get our basics right.
    Jackareme
  • Agreed Wigan are no slouches, they are an athletic team with a good attitude. It was a good win, not many teams will win there.

Its good to have the togetherness to see these tough matches out, however we can’t rely on just that, all the time. It’s a great extra to have but time to get our basics right.
    That's true, so far this season only Leeds and Swansea have beaten Wigan at the DW Stadium and they were down to 10 men after 20 mins against Leeds
    SeaJack
  • My expectations have been tempered somewhat with the blip (let’s hope it is) of games drawn and lost recently. It’s looking like we are getting back to winning ways but I’m not getting ahead of myself unlike it was for the winning streak that we had at the start of the season.
  • SeaJack said:
    My expectations have been tempered somewhat with the blip (let’s hope it is) of games drawn and lost recently. It’s looking like we are getting back to winning ways but I’m not getting ahead of myself unlike it was for the winning streak that we had at the start of the season.
    there'll be plenty more blips but I've not seen too many teams who are better than us. If we get it right on the day against anyone, we will blow them away. how we played against Man city was no fluke and the same applies this season. We can outpass anyone but the opposition must also be considered. They are not a static collection of subbuteo players. They have good players and on any given day any team can beat anyone else. Leeds have gone through a similar  bad patch to ours. Yet we're still right up there with Leeds. The Wigan game was hard fought. We deserved a point and got three. But it wasn't luck. It was keeping going that won us the game. On another day we'd have taken that ball passed to Connor to the corner. What we need to do as fans is to be more patient and stop with the kneejerk reaction if we lose or draw.  If we get behind them, confidence will grow. And that is a fact.

• When GP and his gang left these shores and DJ and OM departed or their promised lands I thought we would do well to be a boring lower to mid table championship side. But SC has surprised me by getting us so high in the table even though we have had blips recently. Our players can beat any team in this league if they get some consistency and we have seen it already.
    YJB07
  • No Garrick for the weekend. 

he has picked up an injury and will be out for a similar timeframe to Rodon.
  • edited November 8
    This match has now turned into a harder match, as a result of the conditions. GM will be rubbing his hands together at the thought of a match in these conditions with a degree of surface water.

It needs to be said, that Hillsborough is an excellent surface, but at the margins these conditions will favour the way GM likes to play and has SW playing since he arrived. Also it will be very hard for there to be much of a Jack Army attendance on Saturday, they have been an important element in spurring the team on.

I really believe in our passing game, but if the surface is poor we may be to adapt more than normal, so I don’t make these comments likely, and they are about making sure we have the right squad in case the ball is likely to stick in water when played along the ground.

Im sure SC will have already developed a match plan but he may need to re think elements of it. A good quick winger may be invaluable on Saturday, with Jordan out (another winger’s hamstring) there is a case for including Peterson in the team but certainly in the squad. In case the surface is affected by surface water we will need an outball, so we will need a solid no9 up front which for me means Borja or Surridge.

If the surface and conditions are ok, then it’s the hoped for ‘pass and move’ approach, but we do need to consider the alternatives in this case.
  • Latest pictures of the pitch look perfect - lets hope for the best!
  • Not quite the same as a midweek match at Darlington or Hartlepool but plenty of attitude from our players required to control the tempo of the game and no room for snowflakes
  • it's not the pitch that will get the game called off. it will be the safety of surrounding area and the availability of emergency services that will decide if it goes ahead.

And there is torrential rai forecasted from midday through until past 6pm tomorrow.
  • Ask them can we swap Borja for fletcher!
  • sounds more like it was the chairman's fault. he was the one who wanted to spend to 'smash the league'. but also shows you can't always buy success at Championship level. There's no laying in to Monk either. Balancing the finances after a gamble didn't pay off. the moral: don't gamble. And really Pulis is experienced but his footballing philosophy leaves a lot to be desired. his Stoke side in the PL were a horrible set piece long throw bunch. And dirty too. i'll never forget that game where Shawcross broke Ramsey's leg.....a deliberate act. Was already a dirty game before that. strong arm tactics to unsettle the pretty football of Arsenal. So Pulis isn't one of my favourites, but he did keep Stoke in the PL when they were extremely limited.
  • I hope continuing with Ayew works, but he was very poor last week, and I’d have preferred to see Borja or Surridge start today.
    YJB07
  • I hope Peterson gets some time today
  • Yeh, agree with that. Borja would have suited better today, for all round play. Also for hold up play on the counter attack, and defending set pieces, which your bound to get with a Monk team. 

• Swans TV issues logging in AGAIN!!!!
  • @Jackareme yup me too, surely they could sort this out by now
  • OK I have the stream now loud and clear in my chrome browser COYS!!
  • Jackareme said:
    OK I have the stream now loud and clear in my chrome browser COYS!!
     Not happening for me on Silk browser.
  • Installed FF. Bag of shit not working there either. No message about being unavaila ble in the area (US).

• Wow - what a knob of a referee and linesman - worst ever!!
  • Well shows what I know. Well done Ayew.
    Arch_Stanton
  • edited November 9
    Trying plenty of through balls, SC and team must have highlighted a Weakness there.