Football betting site Betway

Tom Carroll

What's everyone's take on Tom Carroll?

Where does his future lie? Is he worth keeping on beyond the end of his contract?

Interested in hearing opinions on this.

Comments

• A talented, technical midfielder who is basically a left sided central no 8. He has an excellent touch and pass, he is also a good crosser of the ball. However he tends to drift in and out of matches rather than having a sustained impact.

His main problem is there is no place in our 4-2-3-1 formation for a No 8.

If we were playing a diamond formation or a flat 4 in midfield, there might be a place for him in the team, but we don’t and we probably aren’t going to.

Also His secondary issue is I get the feeling that SC likes his players, especially midfielders, to be more athletic and put in big defensive shifts.

If he could adapt and do more on the physical side, he would be a real asset, but he hasn’t yet.
    Wyn
  • He’s had his chance, and hasn’t adapted to each manager’s game plan. I think he’s a “pretty” player, who would suit us, if we had a footballing, enforcer type midfielder, to help him out. 
    Plus we can’t afford his wages. 
  • I like Tom Carroll and he is clearly a talented footballer, I think he could thrive in this Swansea team but as J4cka stated we would need a more enforcing type alongside him rather than Grimes or Byers.

Also agree that his wages mean that unless he perfoms as one of the top 5 midfielders in the Championship then yes he is expendable.

• def an inside left. 

not sure how he fits in. but a very technical player who sees his best when he has ball players like Ki and Leon around him. That triumphant saved us from relegation when Clement was forced to put them together. 

But we dont play that way anymore, and if we did, then I think that Byers and Grimes could possibly work well with him.
  • As mentioned - a nice technically gifted player, and in a team that looks to defend in possession he could be an asset. However he runs like he is wearing diving boots and tackles like he is made of papier mâché.
    Hi wages are also ridiculous for what he offers (not his fault) - but for what he is paid he should be one of the stand out players in our squad. He is not and therefore offers little/no value.
    @Pablo are we allowed these opinions - or are we character assassinating TC? I would appreciate your ruling on this thread  :p
    SeaJackdeekaygarythenotrashcougar
  • Get rid. I'll always remember that cross for Llorentes header at Anfield and his deflected screamer at home v Stoke but we need box to box central mids with unlimited energy or indeed a Leon character and Toms wages alone are such we should be looking to offload. Shame it didn't really work out for him because technically he's quality. Just proper 'powderpuff'
    garythenotrashcougar
  • Thanks to all who have contributed their open and honest views on this thread. It is good to see the wide difference in opinions, as well as the common ground, on a player who it's fair to say has usually divided opinion in his two spells at the club. 
  • For me he just needs a run of games and hel be flying.hel stand out at this level needs to be 100 percent fit.
  • You can never have enough good players , could be a good addition  to the team after Christmas  ,
  • He def needs a run of games. I think he should be getting time with the U23s, if he's not going to feature, even on the bench - which he hasnt since he played 90 mins at  Barnsley, 3 matches ago.
  • I’m a big fan of George Byers but after last week I thought he was piss poor he looked like he had lead in his boots!iff I was sc I’d be telling him this week another performance like that and you’ll be back on the bench! And whose going to take my place gaffer jay Fulton? Ok fair enough! Marshy didn’t you play cm for the pool with Ronnie whelan! 
  • yes Brownie George Byers was a bit off, but it proves these players aren't machines and form comes and goes. Every player has an off game now and then. George is class though and I made a big prediction about PL clubs will be after him come the end of the season.....that might've been a bit presumptuous. Still a great player though, and one I hope sticks around with us. I'm a Jay Fulton fan too....there's some goals in him, plus he can beat a man. under-rated in my opinion. I really like our squad. Good balance all over. wish we had another Oli, but you can't have everything
  • Pabs just like you I love GB,but I thought last week he was playing within himself very slow and lethargic.or is it just me. And I do like jay Fulton,but I don’t care what anybody says he’s not a defensive mid as long as he’s got a ginger flake on his head! He’s got more to offer going forward and is a goal threat. What about trying grimes Byers Fulton at 10 and Celina and routs and then ayew up top worth a go.
  • BWJ said:
    What wages is he on?
    I would hazard 'a lot' ie prem league wages. I don't know for sure of course but at a guess 30k a week minimum?
  • SVJack said:
    BWJ said:
    What wages is he on?
    I would hazard 'a lot' ie prem league wages. I don't know for sure of course but at a guess 30k a week minimum?
    and you dont know that he didnt have a relegation clause.
  • edited November 9
    Brownie said:
    Pabs just like you I love GB,but I thought last week he was playing within himself very slow and lethargic.or is it just me. And I do like jay Fulton,but I don’t care what anybody says he’s not a defensive mid as long as he’s got a ginger flake on his head! He’s got more to offer going forward and is a goal threat. What about trying grimes Byers Fulton at 10 and Celina and routs and then ayew up top worth a go.
    not a bad idea Brownie. I tend to see Fulton as a versatile sort of MF. He reminds me of Gerrard. Whether reaches that potential is of course debatable. Still under rated though. We have a lot of excellent MF's. but for quite a time not too many strikers. if we could unearth one, we'd storm this league
  • Pablo

Can I get a quick clarification there?

I assume in making the comparison with Gerrard, you mean the former Cardiff player, Anthony, right? And surely not his more illustrious cousin Steven, one of the greatest players of all time?

Thanks.
    deekayChris_SharmanJackaremeMark_Jack_LondonWyn
  • Or maybe Depardieu the large nosed french actor?
    Mark_Jack_Londongarythenotrashcougar