Football betting site Betway

Match Discussion: Wales v Hungary - Euro 2020 Qualifier

edited November 20 in Wales
This is the place to discuss all things related to the Wales v Hungary Euro 2020 Group E Qualifying game on Tuesday 19 November 2019 at the Cardiff City stadium.

Share your pre and post match thoughts, team selection and score prediction for the game.

Kick-off is at 7:45pm and the game will be shown live on S4C and Sky Sports Main Event.

Comments

• Based on that performance, same again, except I'd maybe change Ramsay to start ahead of Bale. Then swap around the same time again.

Joe Allen comes back in. Really torn as to who steps aside. Morrell played really, really well, and is playing more games at Bristol than Ethan. But Ampadu has more physical attributes - but more likely to get booked too!
  • Allen will come in for Morrell solely because of his experience and game management. Ampadu will keep his place. I have a feeling Ramsey and Bale will start v Hungary. I think Giggs drops Wilson. Just a hunch.
  • well if he does start them both, that's madness based on what he said about their use yesterday.

if neither were fit to last 90 minutes yesterday, they sure as sh1t wont be 3 days later, having taken a 6 1/2 flight following the game.

• If Giggs wants it bad enough (auto qualification) he sticks them both in. And while I don't disagree with your comments @Mark_Jack_London we'll see an hour before kick off
  • edited November 17
    So we have the final game of a group stage to decide whether Wales go through to a major international football tournament.

Now what could possibly go wrong?
  • Would play Joey for Morrell , same shape for me , thought the front 3 were very effective  and could have scored 4 or 5  , Bale for an hour then Ramsey to come on ,

Start on the front foot and take the game to Hungary  .
  • I personally wouldn't put Allen back in. He's having the worst season of his career with Stoke and he was awful in his last appearance v Croatia.

I'd play Ramsey instead of Morrell, and I'd rest Lockyer in favour of Ashley Williams' greater experience. We need some older heads on Tuesday night to calm things down. It will not be a walkover, they have a chance to qualify too and let's not forget they beat us in the first game. 
  • @garythenotrashcougar I am a big believer in form being temporary but class being permanent. It is great to see some promising youngsters coming through but as much of Bale Ramsey and Allen as fitness allows is the way I would go if I was Giggs. Therefore cant agree - for me Joey must start to lead our pressing and shield our young centre backs
  • @Jackareme

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be up in arms if he went back in - he'd probably play a lot better than he did against Croatia - but I just don't think he has earned it, and I think Ampadu looked very good in that role yesterday, he is the future so it sends out the wrong message to drop him for no apparent reason. Morrell also did ok, but he doesn't really do much other than sit there, so I would rather see Ramsey in there to give us something a bit different. (A bit like the Byers v Fulton debate to play alongside Grimes).

What I certainly wouldn't do is change the front four of James, Bale, Moore and Wilson after that performance. That was the first time I've seen any cohesion up front since Giggs took over, they were all excellent. He'd be a brave man to change it after that. 
    JackaremeWebmaster
  • Hungary are a big team and will use any tricks they can to stop us winning. I would play our most experienced players first ie Allen, Ramsey, Williams and Bale at least. Moore up front to bully their defenders a bit as well.

• Morrell was motm last game and is one of the few who plays 90 minutes regularly, shouldn't be dropped. I'd have Allen in for Ampadu.

Bale was a passenger off the ball. Didn't track back, didn't press. Not convinced he's actually fit enough for a tough game. Ramsey has to start, though.
    Mark_Jack_London
  • I tend to agree. 

unless there have been any fresh injury concerns, then I'd swap Joe Allen for Ampadu - Surprisingly, Morrell is taller than him. And he is a goal threat with a fierce shot on him,

Rambo to start for me too, replaced by Bale when the game opens up, and legs tire.

He's had more game time of late than Bale. 

There is a consideration to bring back Ash, and that for me is the biggest debate. He brings experience. But that looked a decent partnership, and rip that up. 

Consistent selection in defence is a big plus.

• Oh, and Ryan Hedges has just been called up, which means there must be a doubt in one of the wide positions.
  • Oh, and Ryan Hedges has just been called up, which means there must be a doubt in one of the wide positions.
    Tom Lawrence withdrew before the last game, he's making the numbers back up.
  • ah.

Giggs and Bale suggesting both are ready to start. but the question is, can they finish 90 mins. If they cant then he is already giving up 2 subs. 

it's a real roll of the dice and a big risk.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50460092
  • I don't know if I'm being paranoid or not but I notice that tomorrows referee is from Romania, a country that borders Hungary! Surely this is not logical. It would be the same if UEFA appointed an English referee for the match. They are our neighbours. For a match of such magnitude (winner takes all) we should have a referee from a truly neutral country like Italy, or Spain, or France. I can recall a good few years ago we played Cyprus in a qualifier, at the Arms Park, and UEFA appointed an English referee (Phillip Don?), which enraged Cyprus. And during the course of the match I'm sure he sent off two Cypriots. Wales wan 4-0 I think. This decision to appoint a Romanian referee seems rather bizarre to me. What do you guys think?
  • Not sure @Hoofhearted - but he is also inexperienced at International level for such a winner takes all game. Lets hope he likes Hungarians as much as we like our English neighbours. 
  • edited November 18
    not sure Romania and Hungary are so pally.

History between these two goes back to 1848 when thousands of Hungarians were massacred in Transylvania by the Romanians during the Hungarian Revolution.

In football terms, there's often been trouble. Most recently, 2014 World Cup qualifying there was a fair bit of argy-bargy.

And in the 2016 Euros qualifying, Hungarian hooligans attacked the Romanian team hotel, and then before the game the Magyrs threw firecrackers at the Romanians in the fans' zone to try and kick of trouble. Cops managed to contain it before it kicked off - and I dont mean the football!

Hungarian fans booed the Romanian national anthem, and chanted cigányok at them  - a bit of a Roma racist term.

The Romanians retorted with bozgorii - another ethnic insult.

So, I'm not sure he'll be doing them too many favours. Sounds like they have more to be worried about!
    Jeff_Cowbridge
  • Apart from that Mark is everything okay between them ?
    Mark_Jack_LondonPablo
  • I think we need a right Royal go at them, with someone who’s Andy in the heir, who will Crown his performance, without breaking a sweat !

Pablo
  • J4cka said:
    I think we need a right Royal go at them, with someone who’s Andy in the heir, who will Crown his performance, without breaking a sweat !

I hope we are not thinking  we want to interfere and take advantage of their very young team! 
    Mark_Jack_London
  • Thanks for the history lesson MJL. :D  Thanks for everyones input, but what disturbs me most is what Jackareme stated about this Romanian lacking big match experience. Hope this doesn't cost us the game tomorrow night.
  • Thanks for the history lesson MJL. :D  Thanks for everyones input, but what disturbs me most is what Jackareme stated about this Romanian lacking big match experience. Hope this doesn't cost us the game tomorrow night.
    that IS the big worry.

• J4cka said:
    I think we need a right Royal go at them, with someone who’s Andy in the heir, who will Crown his performance, without breaking a sweat !

“And the girl behind the counter said ‘Dough Balls?’ and I had to explain that they’d been that way since I dodged an Exocet in ‘83”
  • Hennessey, Roberts, Lockyer, Mepham, Davies, Allen, Morrell, Bale, Ramsey, James, Moore. Allen for Ampadu. Ramsey for Wilson.
  • Best display of the qualifiers for me. Excellent win. Qualification for the Euros. Most fluid I've seen us in a while. The front four of Bale, Ramsey and James behind the battering ram Moore worked well. Allen though my MOM.
  • I'm 50. That means that as a kid I was bitterly disappointed every 2 years at how close we could get and the ways the world could find for it to go wrong. Even the bloody floodlights.

the upshot of that conditioning is that I find myself reprimanding Wilson for shooting with 50 seconds to go cos in my head that's enough time for Hungary to get two. Are the other oldies as scarred and paranoid as me?
    Darren
  • Oh and the referee turned out to be fantastic - took his time to calmly make decisions, let the game flow when he could and used the card for bad tackles - he was excellent and his temperament superb.
    Back to the selection debates - Ramsey obviously a different gravy - but anyone who doubts what joe Allen brings to the Wales team need to watch that game back. His closing down, winning possession back and using it simply and accurately was fantastic, totally allowed Wales to control the game.
    As I said pre game form is temporary but class is permanent.
  • I'm with you all the way Colin. I was watching on telly when Jordan handballed. My 1st live upset was drawing againt Yugoslavia in cerrrdiff. Then Bowden's missed pen. Then the drug taking russkies. So much heartache over the years.
    ColinNorthampton
  • Jackareme
    . Fantastic ref?  Your ‘avin an effin larff?
    I lost count of the fouls by their centre half, and others, on Moore.

It was an absolute joke!  Plus other “challenges” by them, going unpunished. 

And just like at the Liberty, the opposition kick us to death, only for the ref to have “a quiet word” with each player that has kicked us. 

Then eventually, when he brings out the long awaited yellow card, he starts to feel obliged to give us one, just  to even it out. 

Feck me, I’ve seen it so many times, it’s hardly coincidental. 

Matter of fact, I’ll have a bet with you, it’ll happen again on Saturday, against Millwall. 

ColinNorthampton