Football betting site Betway

Put a value on our academy?

I was reading around all things swans during the international break, and I came across an interesting article about the Cabango brothers. Clearly a very athletic and talented family..... https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/introducing-cabango-brothers-super-talented-17245471
I had to chuckle when I read that Ben (who looks an awesome prospect) hails from Llandaff and is literally living right under the blue noses of our friends up the road. Recognising that for every Ben Cabango there is an Adam Matthews, I wonder what value our posters put on our academy and our network "trawling" for the best talent?
For me - our academy has become the heart and soul of what it means to be a Jack - and (much as I have formed a generally negative opinion of Huw Jenkins et al) we have been left a community legacy that is currently churning out top level talent for the benefit of the Swans and Wales.
From Joey and Ben to McBurnie and James to Roberts Rodon and Byers to Cabango and Garrick we have something that, for me, losing the academy is the line in the sand that I would not be prepared to cross.
Sell any player you like (we are and always will be a selling club) but I have such strong affection for our academy and the players that bust their asses to make the grade with my beloved Swans.
Ready to roar on a Wales team featuring Ben, Joey, Roberts, James (and normally Rodon). Up the Swans!
ColinNorthampton

Comments

• Hear, hear. Long may it continue. And It just reminds you of how well HJ was doing, before it all went tits  up with him. 
  • Cabango was at Newport when we outbid them and Cardiff for him iirc. Hopefully he comes good as "top level talent". Time will tell. Decent today against Bosnia, alongside Cooper and ex-Swan Aaron Lewis, behind Jack Evans. Cameron Evans solid for the u19s against Kosovo.

Not many Welsh academy players in the Swans first team at the moment. Tough with an England fan as manager.
  • @jasper_T - Harsh, and I doubt Cooper is an England fan - he managed their youngsters, but he is welsh through and through - just a job.
    We have seen appearances by Roberts Rodon Cabango Byers Garrick Grimes Fulton De Boer and Dhanda at different times - all graduates of our academy (some admittedly sourced from elsewhere at a cost, but still locally developed). I think you will struggle to find a Championship or higher club with a better development record.
  • De Boer is on his way out. Doesn't feature much for the u23s. Grimes did most of his development out on his three loans.

Most Championship clubs are bringing through academy graduates in ones and twos every year. We're not remarkable beyond the effect of the "glass ceiling of the PL being removed" (as Potter put it) letting us blood 3 or 4 years of quality products all in one go last season. Look at Leeds in the last 18 months with Clarke, Roberts, Shackleton and Phillips making breakthroughs. Leif Davis 3 subs appearances this season as well. They're not even Category One.
  • The value of our academy can be seen in the youngsters given their first team starts since relegation from the PL, and not looking out of place in an extremely competitive second tier of the game in England. But there again, apart from the clubs that were relegated with the Swans-WBA and Stoke, who possessed wealthy benefactors and who were able to keep most of their first team squad as well as spending freely to add to their squads, that's what happens when clubs without wealthy benefactors are faced with post relegation.

The vision Huw Jenkins had with building the academy has enabled the club, albeit with a totally different approach and at last financial accountability post relegation to stop the rot and focus on the next couple of seasons. Sadly that vision was to be clouded within a few years.

There is an argument that a Cat 2 club can still bring through the quality of youngster to break into the first team but providing finance can be set aside to fund a Cat 1 academy I believe the benefit of playing lower league clubs and European academies plus the benefit of attracting youngsters in recruitment to play against top PL academies, far outweighs what financial investment it takes to fund an academy 1 side.

All academies are limited in how many they can take while maturity plays a part in a teenager's pathway. In Adam Matthews's case I believe an injury held him back as a schoolboy which saw him released from one of the Swans' young age group squad rather than being not spotted by the club's scouts.

Young player recruitment is as important for the academy as the first team as was seen when recruiting Dan, Oli and George but unfortunately, as with the first team, young professionals costing a lot of cash from European clubs appeared to be the next stage in the academy's pathway, like the first team, started to go sideways. Millions of pounds in recruitment wasted right across the footballing side of the club. 

On the other hand, what relegation and severe cost cutting has done is to give youngsters an earlier opportunity than what they would have had a few years back. Only time will tell if those youngsters given their U23 opportunities last season and this season in the first team League Cup squad can eventually make the same impact as their predecessors from the U23's.

Mark_Jack_LondondeekayJackareme
  • All I'll say on this and I'm not trying to be controversial is that at this moment, Cat 1 and everything associated to it costs us in the region of £5m a year, if we don't go up next year, I would guess our revenue will be no more than £12m PA, it may be impossible to spend 5 of that on potential, unless we can produce a Dan James and Oli Mc season to offset it.
  • If we dont go up, I'd expect Rodon and Roberts to go.
    Jackareme
  • And if we do go up put 5 years academy costs aside as number 1 priority
    JackaremeMark_Jack_London
  • Jeremy said:
    And if we do go up put 5 years academy costs aside as number 1 priority
    That's a lot of money that most fans would whine is not being spent on the players needed to keep us up.

Can't imagine there's going to be much interest in our second choice right back.
  • jasper_T said:
    Jeremy said:
    That's a lot of money that most fans would whine is not being spent on the players needed to keep us up.

Can't imagine there's going to be much interest in our second choice right back.
    You don't rate Roberts then Jasper?
  • maybe not 5 years. but certainly need to plan for 2-3 in advance, and then the longer we stay, the longer we can set aside funding.
  • jasper_T said:
    Jeremy said:

He's not grown into the clear PL standard player many maybe expected after his excellent first few months last season, but the bigger issue is how much Cooper rates/doesn't rate him. 
  • jasper_T said:
    jasper_T said:
    Jeremy said:

He's not grown into the clear PL standard player many maybe expected after his excellent first few months last season, but the bigger issue is how much Cooper rates/doesn't rate him. 
    Perhaps it’s more about Roberts being more comfortable under a Potter styled line-up rather than Cooper’s 
  • He was struggling to meet high expectations long before Cooper arrived. Form dipped when he signed his new contract a year ago and he's looked little more than a decent Championship performer since then. I don't imagine there'll be any interest in him from higher in the pyramid if he's not playing for us. There are younger Championship right backs out there playing to the same or better standard.

Whereas if Rodon stays fit he'll likely outgrow us if we don't get promoted this season. Only one young centre half has looked better than him this season imo and he's on loan from a PL club (Ben White).
  • I am not quite sure why Connor's form has dipped - however I have a suspicion that it was (at least in part) due to playing beind Ayew on the right hand side. This caused us to lose the benefit of Connor's athleticism and football ability bombing forward. Ayew was never there to link up, as he drifts centrally - and was never going to offer the level of protection to let Connor really attack without worrying about getting exploited on turnovers.
    Naughton is a good pro and has done well (we are lucky in that position) but if I was picking the side I would have Connor starting and Dyer ahead of him, or someone else with positional sense and defensive awareness (Wayne?).
    It is no fluke that Connor looks comfortable on the international stage - he is that good.
  • White is a top prospect, made his name on loan at Newport from Brighton a few years back at right back and with Leeds this season is equally competent in a back three or as one of the centre backs in a back four.
  • Starting to wonder if Cooper’s methods,  are stunting Conner’s development. 
    Seems like a different player, playing for Wales. 
    Much more dynamic in getting forward, and generally looks more confident, in his all round play. 
    If it’s down to Cooper’s game management of him, then at the moment, he’s wasting the use of a very good, modern, wing back, 
  • Colin your 100% right Ben White is a top prospect. I have seen him quite a bit this season (I get to watch most Leeds games) and I have to say I have not seen him put a foot wrong this season.

His postional sense is first class and he seems to glide across the ground.

I think he is better than the current England centre half's and if I was southgate I would call him up now.

Just think Potter bought Clarke from Portsmouth and Webster from Bristol for a combined 20+ million and he had a player of White's caliber on his hands!!

• Chris,
    White was outstanding for Brighton U23's at Landore in November 2018 and played a big part in his side overcoming a 2 goal deficit to beat the Swans 3-2. Potter spent a lot of cash in the close season when he brought in 2 centre backs and arguably White is by far a better all round footballer.