Football betting site Betway

Match Discussion: Swans v Millwall - Championship 2019/20

edited November 24 in Swansea City
This is the place to discuss all things related to the Swans v Millwall Championship game on Saturday, 23 November 2019 at 3pm.

Referee Andy Davies will be assisted by Adam Crysell and Sam Lewis, with Akil Howson the 4th Official for the game..

Have a read of the Swans v Millwall Head to Head Stats since the first meeting in South Wales in 1921.

Share your pre and post match thoughts, views on Steve Cooper's pre or post match comments, team selection and don't forget to submit your score prediction for our Swansea City Prediction League.

Comments

• Unchanged side from the sheff weds game
  • Morning all - happy to see the unchanged team.

Not sure if this will work ok in the uk and not sure how good your German is - but here is a link for the game I can get in Canada - no Swans TV swansea-vs-millwall-live-stream-5075650.html
  • Cancel that I have a good english stream here - good luck to anyone that needs it https://www.strikeout.nu/stream-swansea-city-live  COYS!!!
    Natterjack
  • Which countries is Swansea tv working in?
  • Not Canada or USA as game is chosen for DAZN (Canada) and ESPN+ (USA)
  • Wow what a terrible performance - a rocket required at half time and a HUGE injection of speed and movement in the final third - Peterson??
    Lot of players way off the pace and looking rusty - I have never seen Matty have such a terrible half - i hat to think what his current pass percentage completion is - but to the nakedd eye it looks not even half of his usual accuracy.
    Thank god th back 4 are performing well defensively. Having said that I would not have started Bidwell today - I would have held him back for away to Huddersfield. A bold move would be Roberts for Bidwell and switch Kyle to the left. This would give their wide midfielders a lot more to do defensively and stop them advancing.
    Anyway easy in my armchair watching a really good stream - Cooper needs to show his management and coaching skills and somehow get a VERY different performance out of the team for the second 45 minutes.
    Good news is we aren't behind - which we might easily be!
  • Wow! What a first half! We have no answer to this compact Millwall shape. The manager has to come up with something or the Lions will take 3 points back to London.

• I managed to get hold of a ticket today and, frankly, if the second half is like that I will wish I hadn't bothered. 

If we haven't passed the ball to a Millwall player or straight out of play two dozen times then we haven't done it at all. Words cannot describe how poor that was, dear me. 
    JackaremeYJB07
  • I managed to get hold of a ticket today and, frankly, if the second half is like that I will wish I hadn't bothered. 

If we haven't passed the ball to a Millwall player or straight out of play two dozen times then we haven't done it at all. Words cannot describe how poor that was, dear me. 
    Sounded that way on the radio too Gary.
    PompeyJack
  • Silly foul.  Not sure it was, but putting his arm across gave the ref the chance to give it.  It was going to Woodman anyway.  Then Woodman's at fault for the goal.  That's his half of the goal.  What a cock up.
    Jackareme
  • That was just as bad as Brentford. When collectively Grimes celina and Byers can't pass the ball accurately over short distances then we are royally f*cked. Peterson made a slight difference but we were clueless breaking down to defensive banks. The lack of movement from the front players was noticeable as well. Over 30 million invested in Ayew and Borja - frustrating!
  • UTTER CRAP. Welsh league players. 
  • We didn't deserve anything from that game. 
    Dreadful, apathetic performance.
    To think I put us down for a win in the Prediction League! 
  • Wretched performance. In my opinion it was a free kick for a clear foul. Looks like they should have had a penalty. I don't think our footballers are good enough. Not on today's display. Millwall take all 3 points and go away wondering what the Swans are doing anywhere near the play off positions. But, it's only football.

• Swan1957 said:
    Wretched performance. In my opinion it was a free kick for a clear foul. Looks like they should have had a penalty. I don't think our footballers are good enough. Not on today's display. Millwall take all 3 points and go away wondering what the Swans are doing anywhere near the play off positions. But, it's only football.

........ and our goalie's a kid.
  • edited November 23
    Well, the second half was marginally better, but only in the sense that the first half was 4/10 and the second half was 5/10. 

90 minutes, nowhere near good enough. 

I would not disagree with @Jackareme assessment that the performance was as bad as Brentford. The only real difference today was Millwall were profligate, and we were outrageously fortunate that VdH wasn't sent off (should have been) and we didn't concede a stonewall penalty (it was).

What summed it up for me was on 69 minutes - Millwall were defending very deep, they hoofed it away, Grimes killed it, looked up, and what was in front of him? 8 of our players in and around the penalty area, but not one - not a single player - making any sort of movement. We sorely lack invention and ingenuity, we rely on individuals producing sparks every now and then. 

Garry Monk has been used as a reference point many times in recent months and I'm afraid to say the more I see of this team, the more I come to the inescapable conclusion that Cooper's Swansea is a facsimile of Monk's. 

Turgid stuff, awful to watch.
    Jackareme
  • Groundhog Day !
    We play the physical ultra defensive opposition and we do not have a clue how to cope with that !
    Again after the international break we are inadequently prepared and do not do "homework" on the opposition !
    Cooper has to be blamed , he is an apprentice at this level , and is being found out big time ! You have to pick a "team" for the day which demanded an authodox  "striker' and more muscle in midfield to cope with their tall players physicallity
    Cooper is obviously work in progress !

• Jeremy said:
    Groundhog Day !
    We play the physical ultra defensive opposition and we do not have a clue how to cope with that !
    Again after the international break we are inadequently prepared and do not do "homework" on the opposition !
    Cooper has to be blamed , he is an apprentice at this level , and is being found out big time ! You have to pick a "team" for the day which demanded an authodox  "striker' and more muscle in midfield to cope with their tall players physicallity
    Cooper is obviously work in progress !

Could not disagree more @Jeremy. Our way to beat teams like Milwall is not to join them in an "arm wrestle" but to move th ball quickly and accurately with pace and movement. This one was not on Cooper in my opinion - it was the execution by the players.

I have NEVER seen Matty Celina and Byers (but also include Nathan Wayne and Bidwell) completely lose the ability to pass the ball accurately - even over short distances. Matty in particular looked a shadow of himself (his colour and sweetness made me think he looked ill and should not have been playing).

Our front 7 just could not get going, and as the match went on they also lost the confidence to make runs and unsettle the big defenders. 

Without a doubt our problem today was in executing our game plan - 3 of the best passers in the division (Matty George and Bersant) in particular were terrible and that just totally prevented us being an attacking threat.

I think Peterson has done enough for a start, and I would be looking at moving Naughton to the left and selecting Connor on the right side with Nathan.

Onwards and upwards. But one to completely forget!
  • Jackareme.
    That was extremely hard viewing today for sure.
    You include Grimes and Byers among the best passers in the league.
    What I’m seeing with them 2 in particular is the lack of courage and confidence to make quick incisive forward passes that hurt the opposition. 
    They both seem clearly lacking confidence as things stand and it’s badly affecting our play, particularly at home.
  • BWJ said:
    Jackareme.
    That was extremely hard viewing today for sure.
    You include Grimes and Byers among the best passers in the league.
    What I’m seeing with them 2 in particular is the lack of courage and confidence to make quick incisive forward passes that hurt the opposition. 
    They both seem clearly lacking confidence as things stand and it’s badly affecting our play, particularly at home.
    Who are they supposed to play these quick, incisive passes to?
  • What an absolute shocker. Another dreadful performance. They are racking up. 

We seem to lack any freedom - it's all rigid and staying in position. Leading to slow ponderous football. 

I've not seen a season for some time where so many basic passes are not completed. 

Cooper brings on 2 forwards only to keep passing the ball in straight lines and not pumping it forward. 

Celina seems the only player allowed to be creative but nothing comes off - largely due to the fact that everyone just stands still around him. How many times do we get the ball to the edge of the area only for someone to stand still while everyone else stands motionless. 

We are the worst counter attacking side in the league. 

VDH has had a terrible season. 

Grimes/Byers have been awful but the second half of last season they were controlling games at home. 

Cooper has so far failed to deliver on his promise of passing attractive football. 

I miss Graham Potter. 

garythenotrashcougar
  • agreed ..................................
  • Only my 3rd game this season due to family commitments but that was bloody rubbish.

The ability to pass to a team mate 6 yards away seemed to be an ask.

Hoping this is a one off 

• JoH said:
    Only my 3rd game this season due to family commitments but that was bloody rubbish.

The ability to pass to a team mate 6 yards away seemed to be an ask.

Hoping this is a one off 

Frankly @JoH, it's not. There have been more performances like it, than not. 
  • Credit due to Rowett, as he got his tactics spot on.

Cooper should have changed something at half time, not just stick Peterson on, who should have seen more of the ball.

Then bizarrely, when he did change shape, we ended up having 4 attackers all playing narrow! 

With Millwall playing a back 3, and 2 wingbacks, we needed to be moving the ball quickly behind the wingback. there were acres of space there, and it would draw one of the CBs out from the middle.

Added to that was poor technique. cant remember seeing us passing so many balls into touch. and it got worse as the crowd growled at every misplaced pass.

I do hope someone interviewing Cooper before the Huddersfield game asks him how training changed during an international break, because he'd had 2 weeks with virtually all of that squad to train and form a plan with. Only starters away were Ayew and Celina, with Roberts on the bench. 

Does he give them too easier a time?

Gingergit
  • The comments sum up my feelings on yesterday’s game. Frustrating to watch. Commentator on the match couldn’t believe the amount of misplaced passes from the Swans. What is it about the basics that the players are having problems with and what in training will be addressed to combat this? Lacklustre performances produce unwanted results.
    YJB07
  • Cooper carries as much of the blame as the players for me. Whilst there were an extroadinary amount of missed simple passes I think Cooper doesnt know how to deal with a well organized 5-4-1 opponent. I had the same thought as @Mark_Jack_London. It was clear we needed a tactical change but he just changed like for like and we continued in the 2nd half just like the first with no idea how to break them down in the final third and create chances. Then he throws on 2 more No 9's so we have 3 on the field. Granted we had to try and rescue the game but his failure to tactically change at half time ultimately cost us on top of a real poor performance from a lot of players
    deekay
  • The quicker we’re shot of this Muppet Copper the better. 
  • watching the Sheff U - Man U game now, and the Blades are showing everything that we didnt do in attack against a 3 centreback defence.

Never I thought I'd see the day where they would be a really good pass and move team, playing United off the park at times.