Football betting site Betway

Game by game performance analysis.

I thought it was worth a look at all of our league games so far from a performance level point of view.

I choose my wording carefully because I don't want this to be misconstrued in any way. I'm talking about 90 minute performances, regardless of the result. Did we control the game, did we create lots of chances, was the passing crisp, did we dominate the opposition for the most part? 

I'm putting them into five broad categories: excellent, good, ok, poor, extremely poor. 

Excellent
Cardiff. We were better from start to finish. Could and should have won by more. 

Good
QPR - aside from a ropey 15 minutes after they scored, we played well, knocked it about nicely, had chances to score more. 
Birmingham - lots of possession first half though didn't do much; second half excellent.

Ok
Preston, Hull - poor first halves, much better second.
Charlton, Sheff W, Wigan - bitty performances, some good stuff, but also some very sloppy stuff. 

Poor
Leeds, Derby, Bristol City - we took 5 points and were unbeaten from these games but were very fortunate in all three, we did not play well at all and it was very smash and grab.

Forest, Reading, Stoke, Barnsley - just very poor performances, sluggish, did not get going at all. Lucky to get a point at Barnsley after a very poor first half where we could have been 4 down.

Extremely poor

Brentford, Millwall - utterly abysmal, no shape, no cohesion, passing dreadful, no invention, could and should have lost by more. 

For me, there are far too many performances in the bottom three categories. We are not in control of matches for the most part. We have won a lot of games through individual sparks and moments from quality individuals, rather than due to a collective effort. Our goalkeeper is far too busy, as are our centre backs - though it helps they are all very good at their day jobs.

I fail to understand how anyone can still claim that this is a continuation of the sort of football we saw under Potter, it is light years away, imo we are going backwards at a rate of knots. I know this will go down like a lead balloon with many but sorry, it is honestly how I see it and I stand by my assessment - we won't finish the season a top 6 team playing the way we do. 
Jeff_CowbridgedeekayJoHLlanjackYJB07

Comments

• where do you base your research from?
    Colin, what do you mean?
  • Last season, a few players personally improved , and noticeably so - James, Grimes, McBurnie, Byers, Rodon, VdH and Roberts.

I can't think of one first team player that is better this season than last- in fact some have gone backwards. You could maybe argue Danda, Garrick and Cabango have improved but they aren't consistently even in the matchday squad and the latter only because Wilmot has stepped up.
    Llanjack
    Colin, what do you mean?
    Is your opinion based on watching all the games or is it derived from analysis driven websites.
  • The simple fact that so many players have gone backwards, and not one has improved says it all. Whatever Potter was doing worked wonderfully well with essentially the same players.

Look at Routledge, he was transformed under Potter, now same old Routledge, same old Grimes. As for Byers, what can I say.

Cooper is so far out of his depth it is embarrassing, put Leon and Curt in temporary charge, even until the end of the season, move Cooper out now before he does any more damage.
    JackaremeLlanjackgarythenotrashcougarYJB07
  • edited November 24
    where do you base your research from?
    Colin, what do you mean?
    Is your opinion based on watching all the games or is it derived from analysis driven websites.
    It is mostly drawn from the evidence in front of my own eyes Colin, but also by taking into account stats such as those so excellently put together by @Martyn very recently that showed we are going in the wrong direction on possession, passing accuracy, pass completion etc. 
    Llanjack
    Fantasy island by the looks of it!
    LlanjackPablo
  • I thought it was worth a look at all of our league games so far from a performance level point of view.

I choose my wording carefully because I don't want this to be misconstrued in any way. I'm talking about 90 minute performances, regardless of the result. Did we control the game, did we create lots of chances, was the passing crisp, did we dominate the opposition for the most part? 

I'm putting them into five broad categories: excellent, good, ok, poor, extremely poor. 

Excellent
    Cardiff. We were better from start to finish. Could and should have won by more. 

Good
    QPR - aside from a ropey 15 minutes after they scored, we played well, knocked it about nicely, had chances to score more. 
    Birmingham - lots of possession first half though didn't do much; second half excellent.

Ok
    Preston, Hull - poor first halves, much better second.
    Charlton, Sheff W, Wigan - bitty performances, some good stuff, but also some very sloppy stuff. 

Poor
    Leeds, Derby, Bristol City - we took 5 points and were unbeaten from these games but were very fortunate in all three, we did not play well at all and it was very smash and grab.

Forest, Reading, Stoke, Barnsley - just very poor performances, sluggish, did not get going at all. Lucky to get a point at Barnsley after a very poor first half where we could have been 4 down.

Extremely poor

Brentford, Millwall - utterly abysmal, no shape, no cohesion, passing dreadful, no invention, could and should have lost by more. 

For me, there are far too many performances in the bottom three categories. We are not in control of matches for the most part. We have won a lot of games through individual sparks and moments from quality individuals, rather than due to a collective effort. Our goalkeeper is far too busy, as are our centre backs - though it helps they are all very good at their day jobs.

I fail to understand how anyone can still claim that this is a continuation of the sort of football we saw under Potter, it is light years away, imo we are going backwards at a rate of knots. I know this will go down like a lead balloon with many but sorry, it is honestly how I see it and I stand by my assessment - we won't finish the season a top 6 team playing the way we do. 
    @garythenotrashcougar problem is even though you indicated some criteria for what you are judging a performance against it is based upon what your expectations are and this may or may not be inline with what the management team are requiring from the team (and also at odds with what other fans class as a good performance)

Two examples for you:-

You rated the performance against Leeds as poor, well I doubt very much that the management team saw that performance as poor in fact they would probably have seen it as excellent (as did I). They executed a game plan and limited one of the best attacking sides in the Championship to just 3 shots on target and when the opportunity arose they took it and claimed all 3 points. Yes Leeds had more shots and dominated possession, but Swansea defended excellently and defending is just as important as attacking in the game of football.

Another example is the Barnsley  game which again you classed as a poor performance, but you have talked about creating chances, dominating the opposition and controlling the game. Well Swansea had 60% of the possession, had 12 shots (8 on target) and their keeper was awarded man of the match (and rightly so he made some quality saves). So I think your classification as poor (I would say OK maybe good) is a little unfair, disappointing yes but poor no.

I am not 100% happy at the moment with the style of play and have concerns regarding Steve Cooper but I do feel overall the perfomances have been mixed, with the home form maybe somewhat questionable of late, but away from home we have generally been very good (in fact some might say excellent!!)
  • @Chris_Sharman

To be frank, if, as you suggest, the performances are meeting the coaching staff requirements, then we have a massive problem on our hands.

We all have different opinions. Clearly you value backs to the wall defending far more than I do and that's absolutely fine - but for me, stealing a win at Leeds after barely seeing the ball for 90 minutes, and being lucky to come off the park level at half time at Barnsley (and we were Chris, we were awful, I don't care what the stats may say, I urge you to watch it back), it does not do it for me at all.

But as I say each to their own. 
    Llanjack
  • @garythenotrashcougar

I value good defending as much as I value good attacking play.

I don't need to watch the Barnsley game again as I was there and yes Barnsley had chances but were wasteful with Woodman not really having to make any really notable saves. As I say Swansea were disappointing but poor !!

I am also realistic and don't expect this Swansea team to dominate teams in this division. The only team I see dominating week in week out are Leeds who I think are by miles the best team in the Championship(which puts the Swansea performance at Elland Road into even  more prospective).

I do agree that if the performances are meeting the coaching / managements expectations then its worrying as clearly we have regressed in the past couple of months and yes the style is different than last season but we do have a totally different management team so what do you really expect?

I appreciate that it does not do it for you but also you really think that the type of consistency is likely from a very inexperienced manager in his first 15 or 16 games?
  • @Chris_Sharman

I am not sure if you are watching tonight's game but it just adds more fuel to the fire for me. Utterly hopeless, we can't string a pass together. 
  • Huddersfield: another one to file in the 'poor' category in my original thread, I'm afraid. 
  • If anyone thinks we are going to finish in the promotion places, they are absolutely and utterly, delusional. 
    His plan A,B,C,D is 4-2-3-1 irrespective of opposition, personnel, first half, second half, winning, loosing, home or away, unbefeckinglievable !
    He hasn’t got a clue. 
    How long before the shouts of “You don’t know what your doing ! ! “  is heard?
    Fair doos to most of the players, they battled for a point, against a team of dirty *****. 
    I won’t include Peterson in that, because I’ve been told by an insider, that he's actually Luciano Narsingh in disguise. 
    He’s come back to be an even more waste of space. 
    Cooper out !!

• Huddersfield: another one to file in the 'poor' category in my original thread, I'm afraid. 
    Sorry Gary I think you're wrong about tonight's game. I think you need to file that one under the "extremely poor" category. We looked hapless tonight.
  • @Chris_Sharman

I am not sure if you are watching tonight's game but it just adds more fuel to the fire for me. Utterly hopeless, we can't string a pass together. 
    Watched on Sky red button and agree it was poor

The passing to Baston was shocking, he got nothing to work with (same applies whoever plays upfront).

We need to get some proper wide play to happen (I don't recall a full back overlapping tonight) with crosses coming in for Baston to attack.

I think a major problem is our full backs lack real pace (and support / cover) and therefore are defensive and don't offer enough in attack.

Not going to get any easier with Fulham and West Brom up next
    Jackareme
  • I think that is down to Coopers negative tactics Chris. It appears to me that the fullbacks are under orders not to over commit even at home. We were always at our best when we had a winger and fullback working in tandem a la Rangel & Dyer with one overlapping the other. I don't think it's something we're going to see much of under Cooper. I'm really sorry to be so negative but as every game passes I'm looking for a little improvement but we are definitely going backwards football wise.
    Wyn
  • @Chris_Sharman

Watched on Sky red button and agree it was poor

The passing to Baston was shocking, he got nothing to work with (same applies whoever plays upfront).

We need to get some proper wide play to happen (I don't recall a full back overlapping tonight) with crosses coming in for Baston to attack.

I think a major problem is our full backs lack real pace (and support / cover) and therefore are defensive and don't offer enough in attack.

Not going to get any easier with Fulham and West Brom up next
    @Chris_Sharman there was a cracking example today of our problems. In the first half we turned the ball over and Ayew started driving into the Huddersfield half - cutting infield. Roberts made a lung bursting 70 metre run to overlap into acres of space on the right. Ayew totally ignored him and then promptly ran into a defender and lost the ball. 
    My reaction was the same as Connor's - I lost my mind and swore my head off - the problem was I was sitting in Starbucks in Owen Sound Ontario wearing headphones and watching Swans TV. Luckily enough the customers and staff saw the funny side. I on the other hand am fecking fed up with Ayew shrinking the pitch and not playing the simple pass - It seems there is some kind of byelaw in Swansea that prevents him being subbed as well.
    SeaJackWyn
  • Gardo said:
    I think that is down to Coopers negative tactics Chris. It appears to me that the fullbacks are under orders not to over commit even at home. We were always at our best when we had a winger and fullback working in tandem a la Rangel & Dyer with one overlapping the other. I don't think it's something we're going to see much of under Cooper. I'm really sorry to be so negative but as every game passes I'm looking for a little improvement but we are definitely going backwards football wise.
    It may well be and if that's the case it's really worrying as successful teams use full backs as a major part of their attack like Liverpool, Man City, Leeds our division.

Spurs under potch were at there best when they had 4 top quality full backs in their squad
  • Don't think there is that much wrong with the players but I do think there are far too many changes every game, Naughton didn't play and I thought he gave everything in the game before.
    The Millwall game wasn't good, no one played great but after it, no Dyer, Routledge or Byers in the starting line up who didn't do worse than anyone else.
    Celina doesn't know if he is 10 or on the wing, when we do play with 1 or 2 strikers up front after conceding he takes off the wingers to feed them, trying to play balls through a crowded middle and end up giving the ball away.
    Losing 2 centre backs hasn't helped either. a solid consistent back four is what all the best teams have and don't change, although in this instant its been injury's.
    So I feel Cooper needs to pick his team and stick with it.
    As for young Roden, it looks as if we might have another star who wont get there, 2 major injuries in one full year isn't good.
    I was confident at the end of August we would be up there but results since and the football has been poor but it can all change a few more taken chances and we could get in the play offs, Fulham is now a six pointer, lose that and forget it, we have to start playing well at home
  • Question is, which team are we really?
    The one that started w5d1L0 points 16 average per game 2.66 
    Or the one that has since gone w3d5L4 points 14 average per game 1.2
    If we carry on like the last 12 games for the rest of the season we will end up with roughly 64 pts and mid table
    A whole season like the last 12 and we are flirting with relegation at 54 points or so
    Overall we are bang average and a lot of the performances look like that too
    Anything could happen tonight from a 3-1 home win to a 4-0 home defeat
    We are due a really good performance
  • I’ve revised my expectations to one of a team that will hopefully be in the playoffs come the end of the season. Automatic promotion is looking less likely now that a 7 point gap between us and 2nd place has opened up. As for the performances I liken that to Christmas Day when you have to realise that you simply can’t have everything. A good result is what I’m praying for tonight. Anything else is a bonus.
  • 7 points is nothing in this league. Villa were midtable most of the season. Go on a run like we did at the beginning of the season and we'd be up for automatic promotion. Far too early to make predictions, except we won't be relegated! have some faith. Things aren't nearly as bad as commentators on this forum suggest. We've a bright young team and this is a long season not a sprint
  • Pableo said:
    7 points is nothing in this league. Villa were midtable most of the season. Go on a run like we did at the beginning of the season and we'd be up for automatic promotion. Far too early to make predictions, except we won't be relegated! have some faith. Things aren't nearly as bad as commentators on this forum suggest. We've a bright young team and this is a long season not a sprint
    Your right Pablo 7 points us nothing in the Championship but I think you will see WBA & Leeds pull away from the pack as they are by far the best teams.

Everyone else will be scrapping for the playoffs.

Pablo
  • Agreed Pablo too many short sighted people on here.
    Pablo