Football betting site Betway

Declan John

Can somebody please tell me why Declan doesn’t get anywhere the first team squad. With the woeful performances turned in by some of the players , surely he must be given a chance. He’s probably the best attacking full back we have and could do a job in midfield out wide left. 
Something must be going on behind the scenes that we do not know about. He has very rarely let us down 

Comments

• Surely ANYONE is better than Bidwell ??
    Journeyman sums him up. He’s made passing backwards, once his toe touches the halfway line, an art form. 
    When he receives the ball, his body is at 45 degree angle facing backwards, so he’s halved his chances of going forward, at a stroke. 
    I will say in his defence, when he does overlap, he puts in a good cross. 
  • Manager prizes physicality over talent. Like many of our fans. We'll have more Bidwell's through the door before too long, not to worry.
    garythenotrashcougar
  • Been saying John should get his chance back in September and yet Cooper doesn't seem to want to know. Offers so much more than Bidwell.
  • Harsh to make Bidwell the scapegoat when we had a midfield that was totally incapable of passing and a forward 3 (later 5) that stood like statues. I do think we should use John at home for his attacking pace - but Bidwell is a good solid pro who shouldn't bear the brunt of the blame for saturday.
  • Jackareme said:
    Harsh to make Bidwell the scapegoat when we had a midfield that was totally incapable of passing and a forward 3 (later 5) that stood like statues. I do think we should use John at home for his attacking pace - but Bidwell is a good solid pro who shouldn't bear the brunt of the blame for saturday.
    Speaking personally, my comments on him, weren’t levelled at him, for his Saturday’s performance. 
    They were for him in general. 
    You said a good pro. 
    I’d call him a good journeyman pro, ideally suited for lower league football. 
    With Roberts and Naughton as fullbacks, we look a far more balanced team. 
    We obviously need cover, and Bidwell Is good for that job. 
    Perhaps I’ve been lulled into a false sense of hope, with our league positions, thinking we were promotion contenders. 
    I’m starting to doubt Cooper’s ability to make this happen, especially if he thinks Bidwell is a first choice full back. 

• Been saying John should get his chance back in September and yet Cooper doesn't seem to want to know. Offers so much more than Bidwell.
    Jackareme said:
    Harsh to make Bidwell the scapegoat when we had a midfield that was totally incapable of passing and a forward 3 (later 5) that stood like statues. I do think we should use John at home for his attacking pace - but Bidwell is a good solid pro who shouldn't bear the brunt of the blame for saturday.
    No scapegoating from me @Jackareme I've said for a long time that John should be in at left back. Although must also admit I haven't been impressed with Bidwell most of the season. Just my honest assessment, not solely based on one or two games.
  • I am by no means a big fan of Bidwell but what I see from my West Stand viewpoint is that whenever he receives the ball from our centre back (VDH on Saturday) there is no one down the touchline for him to pass the ball to. On Saturday Routledge, whose first touch was a tackle, arrived in that position too late by which time the opposition had cut off that pass meaning that his only option was a pass back to VDH. I thought he was better in the 2nd half with Petersson in front of him allowing him to overlap more. Like others I have said for a while that I think John should be given a chance either as an attacking left back or left sided midfielder, but feel he is better suited to a wingback role in a back 5.
  • J4cka said:
    Jackareme said:
    Speaking personally, my comments on him, weren’t levelled at him, for his Saturday’s performance. 
    They were for him in general. 
    You said a good pro. 
    I’d call him a good journeyman pro, ideally suited for lower league football. 
    With Roberts and Naughton as fullbacks, we look a far more balanced team. 
    We obviously need cover, and Bidwell Is good for that job. 
    Perhaps I’ve been lulled into a false sense of hope, with our league positions, thinking we were promotion contenders. 
    I’m starting to doubt Cooper’s ability to make this happen, especially if he thinks Bidwell is a first choice full back. 

Strange how fans like yourself can change their mind so quickly after two wins and a  draw from last 3 matches. 

• We don't have enough players who can go past an opponent, mostly we go forward by passing, so if the opponent packs their own half there's no one free to pass to, so the ball goes back or sideways - Declan John has pace and can beat an opponent. Bring him on Cooper! He and Petersen down the left would be interesting.
    Also I think Wilmot should be converted to a defensive midfielder - he is solid in defence and 'knows where the goal is', bring in Cabango to replace him in defence.   
  • I think our back 4 and keeper (Bidwell included) are so far from being our major concern right now. The slump in form from ALL of our 3 central midfielders and the lack of speed in movement and passing is rendering us toothless.
    Having said that, if I was picking the team I actually would change Bidwell for Naughton and bring Roberts in - we need as many of our best players on the pitch as possible. I would start with Peterson, and I would be thinking about giving Celina a break by potentially playing Ayew (Wayne?) behind Borja. If Grimes and Byers continue in the current vein of form I would also put Fulton back into the team to give one of them a break and hopefully freshen them up.

The one thing I would NEVER do is (as suggested by some on here) change to the Gary Monk plan B and try to get into a more physical game plan, OR change formation to a 5 at the back with wing backs.
    The answer lies in playing the way we play, but doing it 100 times better.
    garythenotrashcougarjasper_T

• jackanory said:
    We don't have enough players who can go past an opponent, mostly we go forward by passing, so if the opponent packs their own half there's no one free to pass to, so the ball goes back or sideways - Declan John has pace and can beat an opponent. Bring him on Cooper! He and Petersen down the left would be interesting.
    Also I think Wilmot should be converted to a defensive midfielder - he is solid in defence and 'knows where the goal is', bring in Cabango to replace him in defence.   
    Would be interesting to the point of suicidal @jackanory. Both are prone to losing the ball and are either not interested (Peterson) or capable (John) in defending a counter attack. I think we should either play John with a Wayne/Nathan ahead of him - or Peterson with a Bidwell/Naughton behind him. My preference at the moment would be a Naughton and Peterson left side combo.
  • jasper_T said:
    Manager prizes physicality over talent. Like many of our fans. We'll have more Bidwell's through the door before too long, not to worry.
    Perhaps you would prefer a fleet footed f/back that can’t tackle. Bidwell has his faults but can we expect to sign better when there is little cash to spend on players.

Would you class Wilmot in that ‘physical’ bracket you have placed Cooper in?
  • Gardo said:
    I am by no means a big fan of Bidwell but what I see from my West Stand viewpoint is that whenever he receives the ball from our centre back (VDH on Saturday) there is no one down the touchline for him to pass the ball to. On Saturday Routledge, whose first touch was a tackle, arrived in that position too late by which time the opposition had cut off that pass meaning that his only option was a pass back to VDH. I thought he was better in the 2nd half with Petersson in front of him allowing him to overlap more. Like others I have said for a while that I think John should be given a chance either as an attacking left back or left sided midfielder, but feel he is better suited to a wingback role in a back 5.
    Could not agree more, his problem was the crap playing around him, why do we insist on pushing out wide with no outlet for the man on the wing. Byers should have been pulled after 20 min. Most possession was lost through him and Grimes throughout the whole game, Grimes defended well enough but his passing was letting him down. I thought last few home games Byers seems to be directing traffic or giving the ball away, biggest problem and even the other players where getting pretty pissed off is his refusal to put a through ball in, he keeps passing the ball backwards or to someone who is marked and cannot retain possession.
    Jackareme
  • Every man and his dog, could see Grimes and Especially Byers we’re having mares. Why at least one of them wasn’t pulled by Cooper, only he will know. 
    Fulton has to come in for Byers, starting tomorrow night. 
    Jackaremejasper_T
  • Comes back to the point that Cooper doesn't seem to know how to alter the course of a game. That for me, is very, very worrying !
    Jackareme
  • edited November 25
    As usual not much stamina amongst us after a bad game.If we have a run of three bad games no doubt there will be some on suicide watch.
    It's only a game.:) 

Sorry-- wrong thread really,that's me all,confused as ever.
  • J4cka said:
    Every man and his dog, could see Grimes and Especially Byers we’re having mares. Why at least one of them wasn’t pulled by Cooper, only he will know. 
    Fulton has to come in for Byers, starting tomorrow night. 
    In what world is Fulton going to be introduced and suddenly the ball starts sticking and we can play our way up the pitch?
    garythenotrashcougar
  • Who else do you suggest ?
    The six at the back, works away from home, because the onus is on the home side, and we can then hit them on the counter. 
    Fulton started the season well, and even scored some cracking goals, even though the opposition wasn’t the greatest. 
    It seems to me, that there seems to be a common thread, on players loosing their form, at some time. 
    And that thread,  could be Coopers coaching methods. 
  • I'd like to see Borja and Surridge play together as a pair. they looked like they had an understanding with the brief time they had on the pitch on Saturday, with one move that nearly saw Borja score with what would have been a ridiculous finish. Alas it was just past the post.
  • There is also the outside thought, in a week where we need to rotate the squad, to play Naughton as a holding midfielder. He has looked very neat and tidy there in the past - thus freeing Cooper to rotate Grimes byers Fulton and Celina.
    I hope I am wrong and Bersant lights up Huddersfield tonight - but he looks like he needs a break. he is still a young man and carries a heavy load for Kosovo during the international breaks.
    I would consider Ayew in the #10 role behind Borja, or (second choice for me) consider Surridge and Borja as the 9 and 10. If we have holes in this squad they are mainly in the lack of athleticism and energy in the midfield where we have a lot of similar players (nice footballers but one paced and unable to go "box to box")