Football betting site Betway

Leon

So, we have a Sporting Director in Leon. As we only play one sport, I guess that makes him Director of Football. So, what is his role ?

I am told its a full time position, so he must look at all things football, from the youth, under 23s etc including the senior squad.

Leon played under some fine managers, and some real idiots, he clearly understands what this club is all about, he can not possibly be sitting in his chair thinking we are going places under Cooper ?

So, what is his role ? To report on the bucket of poo we are watching ? Maybe that is not what his employers want to hear though, as he was in part responsible (we are told) for employing Cooper as the best possible candidate. 

So, what does Leon do ? Tell them he made a substantial error and got the wrong man ? Sit it out and hope it takes a turn for the better ?

Leon MUST have some role, he must see what we all now see. So, what will he do,will his advice be that Cooper is destroying a bunch of young players who now have no confidence ? Tell them the football is from the dark ages ? If so, does Leon put his own position in peril ?

Mt T, please contribute to the debate again, your excellent posts are very much missed.

Comments

• What is important here is what did Cooper tell Birch and Britton during the selection process ? Both are adamant that they want to return the club to what it became during the Martinez to Laudrup eras.
    I cannot believe that he told them he was going to destroy what GP had reinstated and move to the soul destroying mess that we have witnessed for most of the season to date. If he had, B & B wouldn't have wasted their time on him.
    So, it is surely safe to assume that he fed them a pack of lies about his intentions and capabilities and they fell for it, hook, line and sinker.
    The only actual substance on his CV will be his performance with the England u17's. I have absolutely no knowledge on how they were set up or their tactical performance as I had no interest in them. Maybe others on the forum will be aware of how they performed. Again I can't imagine that B & B didn't explore that avenue.
    Whatever the reality is, they must be very concerned about what they, and we, are all witnessing.
  • edited November 27
    What we have to remember now is that Leon and Curt are suits, they're not coaches or players anymore. They will naturally become more conservative, less knee-****, conscious of their responsibility. They will back their man for now. 

My guess is, publicly at least, they will point at the table right now with us in 5th, and say there isn't an awful lot wrong there. 

Privately, I think they will know what is really going on. They're not stupid. But it is very difficult for them to sack a manager who is still stealing the odd result by hook or by crook. When we sacked Monk, most of the Fleet Street media were confused and gave Jenkins a pasting, even though it was a no-brainer of a decision based on the performances and the numbers. They painted us out to be a 'sacking club', unfairly. They will be mindful of that.

If I was a betting man, I'd say there is a tiny part of them hoping we lose 5 on the bounce so they can find some sort of justification to part company with him. 

I think it's a very difficult situation for them to be in, I don't envy them at all. 
  • Wouldn't  you love doing  the job and getting well paid   

Maybe a quiet word in Copper's  ear , show him some Videos  on how we would like to play 
  • Coopers only professional football experience is a stint in Liverpool’s academy and a spell with England Under 17s when he was in charge of an outstanding crop of young players when 90% of the time tactics won’t have mattered as they would have been far too good for the opposition so I don’t think you can judge him on it as it’s a different world.

Graham Potter came to Swansea after a 7 year spell of success with a small team that culminates in them beating the likes of Arsenal and Galatasaray. A quite brilliant achievement if you look at where Ostersunds were when he took over (playing in front of a few hundred in the 4th division)

Cooper is showing serious flaws already. Style of play is confusing trying to pass out from the back but everything is slow and one paced, some players like Grimes, Byers, Celina and Roberts have regressed significantly from last season, scattergun selections and poor man management with players like Peterson and Surridge  hindering their chances. Factor in we are struggling to pass the ball and create chances and it’s a struggle.

Looking from the outside pundits would say you can’t sack a manger with a team in the play offs but if you’ve been at home week in week you will have seen the same performance time and time again and bar for some resiliency away from home we could easily be lower mid table. This looks like a Paul Clement team to me more and more as the games go by.
    Bob
  • I see that Brighton have extended Potter's Contract till 2025.
    Quite an endorsement,and no doubt to prorect them if he should be poached.
  • You also need to factor in who would be available to replace Cooper (and his team of coaches). I presume it would be someone out of work at the moment and cheap to boot.

Also a question that comes to mind is did we take the cheap option with Cooper and all the rhetoric about fantastic interview extra is PR?

Personally the best thing he could do is have a word with Alan Curtis and see if he is willing to help out with training and how to play the Swansea Way!!
  • Leon and Alan Curtis would have, undoubtedly, been heavily involved in the selection process of recruiting Steve Cooper. However, I won't stand for all these machinations against Steve Cooper himself. Steve was selected from a very healthy candidate list for the qualities that he could bring to the Swans. We have had a good start to the season and the league table doesn't lie.

I take on board fellow supporters' comments that the playing style and tactical variations have been wanting of late, but cannot really comment from my own experiences as I don't get much opportunity to see the Swans in the flesh, living in Cornwall.  However, I do believe that the issue is deeper-seated than the abilities and ideas of the manager.

I still believe that our playing squad hasn't enough depth and we're doing really well considering. Our two Premier League quality strikers just aren't doing it for me. The money spent on them really hasn't paid off, in my opinion. They continue to prove that they cannot perform consistently at this level, let alone in the Premier League. The buck doesn't just stop there. We have some very good players at this level, but little depth. Central midfield being the biggest void.

I believe that Steve Cooper is doing a very good job with the tools (no pun intended) available to him. Our position at the end of the season will be all the proof I need.

Super Swans.
    moorlands
  • witch hunts and mob rule. no veracity in anything I've seen or heard.....but moaners must have their stage, they must be heard. It's all bullshit. Andrew2 doesn't know anything at all. He has a very long history of trying to create division and controversy with his lowbrow observations. All of it is bullshit and not worth even engaging with. 
    I predict if we win tonight this thread will disappear and so will Andrew 2. Lose or draw and it'll be used as proof to vindicate his bullshit. It is really that simple.
  • Fair doos to you Pablo, even your good self, was moaning about our poor play, the other day. Not sure which game you were referring to, Millwall perhaps?
  • Pablo

The very same Pablo who seems unable to recall any game he attended pre 2010, a Johnny Come Lately who understands nothing of the history of our club, nothing about how we became to be admired, and even less about why we are where we are now. The same Pablo who still thinks Monk is a tactical genius.

Can you remember anything about Southport or Workington yet Pablo, even Oldham away seems to escape you. Where were the fairies on the roof Pablo, its approaching that time of year Pablo, being a lifelong and loyal supporter you claim to be Pablo you MUST have been there ? Come on Pablo, one of the fairies fell off, you must remember it Pablo ?......Unless of course you are lying Pablo, your very limited knowledge of Swansea City comes from Shoot Magazine maybe ?

How about a more modern game Pablo, where did they water the pitch so much the ball would hardly move to stop us playing the beautiful game, come on Pablo, you must have been on this trip, everyone was on this trip ? Who missed the penalties in The Welsh Cup at Shrewsbury ? Come on Pablo, I guess you were there but just can not put your finger on it , is that it ?

I would imagine you turn up to see Man Utd or Liverpool though ? Funny that Pablo, your recall of our great games/moments and great history seems lacking.

When you understand one ounce of Swansea City Pablo, post again, until then, I would suggest you refrain from posting your garbage.
    moorlandsgarythenotrashcougar
  • J4cka said:
    Fair doos to you Pablo, even your good self, was moaning about our poor play, the other day. Not sure which game you were referring to, Millwall perhaps?
    I never said I don't criticise. I just don't go in for it like it's a sport. I don't feel the need to constantly slate the side or go in for character assassination of player or manager. As for Andrew2...as we see above. Some nonsense about me not seeing games before 2010...a sign that he knows nothing, and has nothing to back up any claims. It's just a torrent of bullshit. And once the team wins tonight, we won't be seeing him because it destroys his whole narrative. 
    it's so tedious I can't be bothered to address you Andrew....you're on another plane of existence.

• Andrew2 said:
    Pablo

The very same Pablo who seems unable to recall any game he attended pre 2010, a Johnny Come Lately who understands nothing of the history of our club, nothing about how we became to be admired, and even less about why we are where we are now. The same Pablo who still thinks Monk is a tactical genius.

Can you remember anything about Southport or Workington yet Pablo, even Oldham away seems to escape you. Where were the fairies on the roof Pablo, its approaching that time of year Pablo, being a lifelong and loyal supporter you claim to be Pablo you MUST have been there ? Come on Pablo, one of the fairies fell off, you must remember it Pablo ?......Unless of course you are lying Pablo, your very limited knowledge of Swansea City comes from Shoot Magazine maybe ?

How about a more modern game Pablo, where did they water the pitch so much the ball would hardly move to stop us playing the beautiful game, come on Pablo, you must have been on this trip, everyone was on this trip ? Who missed the penalties in The Welsh Cup at Shrewsbury ? Come on Pablo, I guess you were there but just can not put your finger on it , is that it ?

I would imagine you turn up to see Man Utd or Liverpool though ? Funny that Pablo, your recall of our great games/moments and great history seems lacking.

When you understand one ounce of Swansea City Pablo, post again, until then, I would suggest you refrain from posting your garbage.

Quite a revealing tirade Andrew.No doubt you feel better but was it really necessary?
  • To @Andrew2 and @jacka fair play to you both for engaging with the resident troll, but I would thoroughly recommend not wasting your energy. This is a poster with a blemish-free track record of having absolutely zero opinions of his own, instead preferring to aggressively tell other people why their opinion is wrong. 

I used to engage but have found it liberating not to do so. Give it a try. 
  • Leave comrade pabs alone,I wish I had his optimism though.
    Pablo
  • Andrew - what games pre 2010 did u see, where u at Fulham away and brighton away where we completely mullered. I don't recall seeing u there. Happy to meet for a pint to reminisce the old days of buckets and all. 
  • To @Andrew2 and @jacka fair play to you both for engaging with the resident troll, but I would thoroughly recommend not wasting your energy. This is a poster with a blemish-free track record of having absolutely zero opinions of his own, instead preferring to aggressively tell other people why their opinion is wrong. 

i have only one thing to resurrect. you feel watching the Swans play is as boring as watching a two hour documentary of starving African children. After that pathetic and eye watering lack of compassion, it might be wise to button your lip in regard to me and that's being kind.
    And that is exactly why you call me troll. It annoyed you I called you out on it. You don't like your views to be challenged... and I will continue to challenge you. If you don't like it...too bad  
    garythenotrashcougar
  • edited November 30
    Brownie said:
    Leave comrade pabs alone,I wish I had his optimism though.
    thanks for believing in me Brownie! Actually if you met me you'd see I'm not that optimistic, but I am a loyal fan of the Swans and have been for half a century! Half a century of failure with a smattering of success... :D

@Andrew2 @J4cka - my sincerest apologies, my post above had a glaring omission. 

I forgot to mention that said troll also misquotes and misrepresents other posters to further their own agenda. Happily, everything on this site is a matter of public record that can always be referred back to when this happens. 

https://www.scfc2.co.uk/forums/discussion/comment/52987/#Comment_52987
  • @Garytheminger so i got a couple of words wrong, dearie me.....and you exaggerate and preen yourself like you're some kind of saint. Bit loose with the truth as always. It's also public record what a nasty piece of work you are. 

Thanks for the thread because I can now post your exact words, which are:

'That's not entertainment, it's like watching a 2 hour documentary on kids starving in Africa, the difference is you wouldn't have to cough up £35 for the pleasure'

and still you fail to realise how excruciatingly lacking in compassion that language is. to compare football with the tragic circumstances of  child starvation. Only a complete tosser would go anywhere near that kind of analogy.

Also I thought you didn't address me any more? I hope you now revert back to ignoring my posts.  Now go infect some other thread with your scorn because I'm done with you

'
    Jackaremegarythenotrashcougar