Football betting site Betway

Match Discussion: Swans U23s v Colchester United U23s - Premier League Cup 2019/20

edited December 2 in Swansea City
This is the place to discuss all things related to the Swans U23s v Colchester United U23s Premier League Cup game at Landore on Saturday, 30 November 2019 at 2:00pm.

The game will be shown live on the Swansea City homepage and the club’s official Facebook page.

Comments

• 0-1.  No luck for the Swans in the first half - the Colchester keeper made a number of saves, including at least 3 from Cullen.  The visitors broke away from our own attacking throw to score against naive defending.  We weren’t as threatening in the 2nd half and our play petered out with additional young subs on the pitch.  Kalulu contributed very little for an hour.
    Al-Hamadi had a decent first half on the left wing. Cam Evans had a reasonable game, but overall Colchester were worth their win.
    They featured 36 year old midfielder Jamal Campbell-Ryce who played against The Swans regularly during the past 15 years with the likes of Barnsley, Southend & Rotherham.  He’s now coaching Colchester’s U23s.
  • You forgot to add Ryan Blair joined Stenhousemuir last week
  • One of HJ last decisions immediately before he left was to award both CBR and Biabi a years extension. Unbelievable !!
  • I don’t recall ever seeing Biabi playing well, but Ryan Blair at least had some potential.  He seemed to get squeezed out of the U23s toward the latter part of last season with younger players being promoted and decisions having been made about the players in similar positions earmarked to succeed.  Going to Scottish League Division 2 seems a real comedown, though.  Of the U23s group that got released in the summer, I’m not sure either Adnan Maric or Jack Withers have got themselves fixed up yet.  I guess it must be tough adjusting outside that bubble.
  • niallo11 said:
    I don’t recall ever seeing Biabi playing well, but Ryan Blair at least had some potential.  He seemed to get squeezed out of the U23s toward the latter part of last season with younger players being promoted and decisions having been made about the players in similar positions earmarked to succeed.  Going to Scottish League Division 2 seems a real comedown, though.  Of the U23s group that got released in the summer, I’m not sure either Adnan Maric or Jack Withers have got themselves fixed up yet.  I guess it must be tough adjusting outside that bubble.
    Just the opposite for me. Biabi had some good performances despite being extremely limited, while Blair was one of the more blatantly crooked deals we did. Poor athlete who could only play standing still, Jack Evans had been twice the player for years before we spent half a million on him, and we released a few decent local midfield players (like Tom Dyson) as the succession of Scots rolled into our midfield.
    SeaJack
  • edited December 2
    No problem with that point of view, Jasper.  I believe you’ll have seen more games to base it on as well. Either way, they’re both gone now & have an equal opportunity to impress the Ochilview Park faithful  :)
  • niallo11 said:
    I don’t recall ever seeing Biabi playing well, but Ryan Blair at least had some potential.  He seemed to get squeezed out of the U23s toward the latter part of last season with younger players being promoted and decisions having been made about the players in similar positions earmarked to succeed.  Going to Scottish League Division 2 seems a real comedown, though.  Of the U23s group that got released in the summer, I’m not sure either Adnan Maric or Jack Withers have got themselves fixed up yet.  I guess it must be tough adjusting outside that bubble.
    Blair reminded me of a modern version of Glen Hoddle with no pace while Jasper was correct when he mentioned a number of local products were set aside to allow the players from Scotland to play.

Biabi started the season at National league side Ebbsfleet before being released in October while I have been unable to find any information on Maric and Withers. 

The Equadorian left back Govea has yet to play this season and another player no doubt on very good wages that the club can ill afford.

The 23's are a very young team this season, as is the 18's and no doubt could be even younger after January should the likes of Cooper, Jack Evans or Cullen go out on loan.
  • Hi Colin
    It’s been tough for the youngsters at both levels this season.  Entertaining, but hard on the players, some of whom currently struggle to compete the full 90 minutes against often very streetwise opponents.  I sense some of our U18s have been promoted a bit too quickly up a level, but I guess it’s all good experience if the cream rises, despite the results.  No idea what’s happened with Oli Cooper - is he injured?  We could have done with him to strengthen the forward line last weekend.
    Brandon Cooper is strong & capable, but has outgrown the U23s & must be a strong candidate who will benefit from a spell away in first team competitive football.
  • Niall,
    my big criticism of the 23's over the years is that not enough were sent out on loan but remained in the  comfort zone of academy matches.

Ollie Cooper has been missed as has Mason Jones-Thomas, two players who burst onto the 23's scene during the second half of last season injury has also limited Dan Williams.

• Niall,
    my big criticism of the 23's over the years is that not enough were sent out on loan but remained in the  comfort zone of academy matches.

Ollie Cooper has been missed as has Mason Jones-Thomas, two players who burst onto the 23's scene during the second half of last season injury has also limited Dan Williams.

Think that was in part Huw Jenkins aversion to loaning players out, but mainly how difficult it is to generate interest in Swansea City Academy players among lower league clubs. We were very reliant on Darren Way at Yeovil, and Newport County to give our prospects minutes. Even then Connor went to Yeovil to be a backup, took some injuries to get him in the side at the start of the season.

Stick a Man Utd badge on a player and the phone won't stop ringing.
    SeaJack