Football betting site Betway

Match Discussion: Swans v Barnsley - Championship 2019/20

edited December 2019 in Swansea City
This is the place to discuss all things related to the Swans v Barnsley Championship game on Sunday,  29 December 2019 at 3:00pm.

Referee Antony Coggins will be assisted by Sam Lewis and Mark Jones, with Stephen Martin the 4th Official for the game.

Have a read of the Swansea City v Barnsley Head to Head Statistics since the first meeting in South Wales in 1926.

Share your pre and post match thoughts, views on Steve Cooper's pre or post match comments, team selection and don't forget to submit your score prediction for our Swansea City Prediction League.

Comments

• After having had the wind knocked out of our sails due to a deflating performance from the team, let’s hope that SC has learnt a thing or two about the lesson dished out to him on Thursday afternoon. Ayew is pulling up trees at the moment and the team need to look to him for inspiration as they are not getting it from the de facto captain. Ayew is the leader of the team in my eyes and should be given the captaincy to dot the I’s and cross the T’s. He leads by example, and he has led them to winning/not losing positions more often than not during this good spell of results. A talisman player for the team if ever there was one who is a lightning conductor that channels all that is good about the team (what there is of it). Let’s hope there isn’t a repeat of the Barnsley away fixture draw and that Ayew isn’t the only one who is dragging us over the line by the final whistle.
  • Play two wingers. Ayew central. Celina central midfield. Barnsley found some form since changing their manager so it won't be straightforward for the Swans (not that it ever is anyway)
    Cadleigh
  • Tricky game as they showed at Scumdiff they have some good players like Chaplin
  • SeaJack said:
    After having had the wind knocked out of our sails due to a deflating performance from the team, let’s hope that SC has learnt a thing or two about the lesson dished out to him on Thursday afternoon. Ayew is pulling up trees at the moment and the team need to look to him for inspiration as they are not getting it from the de facto captain. Ayew is the leader of the team in my eyes and should be given the captaincy to dot the I’s and cross the T’s. He leads by example, and he has led them to winning/not losing positions more often than not during this good spell of results. A talisman player for the team if ever there was one who is a lightning conductor that channels all that is good about the team (what there is of it). Let’s hope there isn’t a repeat of the Barnsley away fixture draw and that Ayew isn’t the only one who is dragging us over the line by the final whistle.
    You can't give the captaincy to a player that you are actively trying to get shot of...Ayew is in the shop window and will be sold for any decent offer. What Mike VdH has done wrong is the question I am asking.
  • Barnsley  may be joint bottom of the League , they are a threat going forward , 
    Scored more goals than us , in Woodrow and Chaplin who have scored  17 times and assisted  in 5 , the defence need to be on top form 

Should win , 6 points from the next 2 games should calm a few on here , 
  • Jackareme - I would advocate Ayew being the captain until there is no doubt about his departure. VDH would be my second choice if that is on the cards and by rights should have remained the captain despite this being his last season with us. As things are though, Grimes, I’m afraid, is not captain material as has been proven throughout the season so far. He quite frankly hasn’t grown into the role as Cooper might have hoped and I fail to understand the decision to keep the armband with him. Who would you suggest if not those three?
  • Good question @SeaJack - as the captain needs to be playing regularly...Wayne would be a great choice, but he is a part time presence. It is a conundrum for sure from left field maybe Connor? - he is enthusiastic and loves his club.
    in my view it always should have been VdH - Which makes me wonder if he isn't also in the shop window this January (it would make financial sense if not footballing sense)

• Hoorn has turned down new deals for 2 seasons and no doubt was irked when the club opted to kick in the clause that saw him remain at the Liberty until May 2020.

Do we allow him to have the captaincy knowing that he will be gone in January or at the end of the season or do we give it to somebody else.

Whichever hat you wear you make your decision. I know where my vote goes and it’s not for the Dutchman. 

Gingergit
  • If VDH sadly prefers to leave pointless making him skipper.In my view Grimes will grow into the job even more as the season progresses.It has to be o player who is with the team for the foreseeable future otherwise the armband means nothing.
  • I was not a fan of Grimes being the Captaincy, and I think it has affected his game.

But if it is taken off him now, it will damage his form way more than if he keeps it.

I am sure he will get better at it.

Ayew is the Vice Captain anyway, so he is a major part of the leadership group.
  • Changing the captaincy will make sod all difference,  picking a settled team does.  You have only 4 players who play week in week out.   Grimes. the keeper, VDH and Ayew, one of these 4 is the captain and the only one who has played every game.
    The Barnsley game will see yet more changes, hopefully VDH if fit, then he could be playing with a different partner, a different right back, in fact we have never played the same back 4 twice.
    Midfield will be Grimes, with either Byers or Fulton, could be Dhanda or Dyer, Routledge, Peterson In fact no one knows who the 3 will be apart from Grimes.
    Up front or just in front of the midfield, we will certainly have Ayew if fit, then once again no one can know for certain who will partner him, will it be Celina, Surridge, Borja, Routledge, Kalo, Mac. 
    There are no set formations for certain players, if we play a certain way with 11 players and win, we then play the same way with different players the next game and lose.
    This system of coaching is only any good if you have a clone replacement in each position, which we don't have.
    Success is build on stability, players in form keep their place, Leeds, WBA Sheffield Wed, Brentford only make changes when they have injuries or playing away when they change to an extra defensive midfielder.
    When we won all our promotions going back from 1970, it was based on a settled team, all supporters knew before kick off what the team would be barring injuries.
    There are no more games played now than 50 years ago, our team is no faster than it was in 2011, so the demands are the same.
    Looking for excuses like changing the captaincy, or playing people in different positions is pointless if they don't know from game to game who will be playing next to them.
    Cooper is trying the same tactics as the England under 17's but he doesn't have the best pick of 2 for every position as he did then.
    We are more or less safe now from relegation, he should pick what he thinks is his best team and formation and stick with it for the rest of the season, only make changes for injuries. Don't even make changes for the FA cup because he has already done his experimental changes in the last 23 games or more.
    Keeping all the players happy by giving them game time wins nothing, never has, never will
  • Make no mistake, these are 2 MASSIVE home games. 

6 pts and we are right in the mix. 

Anything less and the season becomes a catch up, with suspicions growing that we just arent up to it. 

We need these wins to keep the positivity going and to dampen the naysayers. 

Despite our overall  standars of performances, this is still a results business, by hook or by crook, we are still in there swinging. 

Lets get behind the boys and roar them on. 

CMON YOU SWANNNNNSSSSS !!!!! 
  • This the team I would like to see play tomorrow  

Woodman 
    Robert's,  Naughton ,  Wilmot , Bidwell ,

Grimes ,     Fulton ,

Dyer                     Celina                 kalulu

Ayew 

Start on the front foot , and smash  them 
    jasper_T
  • Would be happy with that @Malc. If it was me I would swap Bidwell for Naughton and play Cabango (assuming there is no VdH). I would also let Peterson have a chance to prove himself with Kalulu on the right wing. 

I think the biggest things your team gets right are putting Ayew central and playing 2 genuine wide men.
  • Would not pick Dyer. He’s a shadow of the player we once knew. I know it’s not going to happen, but I’d like Cooper, to try Roberts there. He’s got a fantastic “engine” can cross the ball, and would give us that energy, that we are sadly lacking, especially at home. 
    With Naughton behind him, could be a good partnership on that side of the pitch. 
    Byers has to be dropped, for his own good. 
    Cooper has to put his arm around him in training, to restore his confidence. 
    I feel he’s not a holding midfielder anyway, and was motm, further up the pitch, against Fulham, at home. 
    Fulton it is then, plus he can score as well. 
    Van the Man, is going to be a big miss, when he goes.
    If Ayew goes in January, and given the massive saving in wages + possible fee, surely the best option is to utilise these savings, on a new contract for VDH?
    We looked a shambles without him, against Brentford. 
    let’s hope we see plenty of energy going forwards, and not playing it up to the halfway line, and then passing it sideways or backwards.
    (Bidwell are you listening?)
  • We looked a shambles against Brentford in the earlier fixture and that was with VDH and also JR in the team. We just have to put our hands up and accept that the better team won on both occasions although we did play better the second time round. Unfortunately the whole team have been struggling to maintain our good form after that exhilarating start to the season.
  • Malc said:
    This the team I would like to see play tomorrow  

Woodman 
    Robert's,  Naughton ,  Wilmot , Bidwell ,

Grimes ,     Fulton ,

Dyer                     Celina                 kalulu

Ayew 

Start on the front foot , and smash  them 
    Playing Naughton at CB would be a disaster, Barnsley have big forwards. Also apart from Kalulu there is no pace to get the ball forward for Ayew as a loan striker.
    If Byers is fit or not banned he should play, his range of passing is better than Fulton, Dyer cant last 90 minutes but Routledge can. For me it has to be  a back four of Bidwell  LB ( VDH  or Cabanga)  Wilmot, Naughton RB
    Midfield   Grimes, Byers, Routledge wide R   Ayew   Free Role
    Sturridge and Celina playing 10  ( Subs Roberts as RB or Wide RM) Kalulu, Borja, Any Fit CB, Fulton 
    Providing Byers and Grimes don't give the ball away too often, Naughton, Ayew, Routledge, Wilmot don't give the ball away very often and Celina and Surridge never in their own half. Roberts hasn't performed well since International duty, so would be better off coming on as sub playing wide right as he has been losing the ball a bit playing RB.

• edited December 2019

Naughton in for Roberts.

Fulton for Byers.

Kalulu not even in the squad.
  • Surridge started last game but @barry could easily have been missed as he didn't do anything on boxing day, so just Naughton for Roberts and Fulton for Byers. Shocking selection. We could all see that surridge was ineffectual on boxing day, Celina wasn't good wide and Ayew well needs to be central striker so Cooper doesn't change that shape at all. No pace again. Kalulu nor peterson in squad. If John is fit enough for bench duty he should start ahead of Bidwell to offer the pace and width we desperately lack.
  • with this selection we must have lots not fit  if not what on earth is going on ????????
  • Back Four looks OK, Front 3 looks OK but midfield has no pace and no natural wide men. Sturridge has been criticised for being quite but with no service from wide areas any CF would struggle, so it looks like Celina will once again be played wide which is not his best position, would have preferred either Kalulu or Routledge as a wide option, instead of Fulton  but who knows it could work and we score a few.  

• Poor start.

Barnsley goal disallowed. Just offside.
  • Is this another Tommy Cooper joke?  33 mins before a shot against a relegation team at home.  Lucky I'm warm and 200 miles away.
  • Like watching paint dry, utter crap. Playing Celina, does this manager see the same game as us supporters. Celina’s best position is in the middle. FFS 
  • 0-0 HT

Had a good spell of 10 mins during which Surridge hit the bar but poor otherwise.

Wasteful again in midfield (looking at you Celina).

Surely they will be better 2nd half.
  • Dreadful all over the park, league 1 standard, can't retain possession, like watching the swans it is not
  • Malaga said:
    Dreadful all over the park, league 1 standard, can't retain possession, like watching the swans it is not

bcos half this team are only league one material, and they cannot step up to a higher div, and they never will. Two seasons from now I guess a few b in non league. 

• Just over 17,000 watching too, let’s hope the second half is better
  • Just over 17,000 watching too, let’s hope the second half is better