Football betting site Betway

January Transfer Window 2020

edited February 1 in Swansea City
This is the place to discuss all Swansea City transfer related discussions during the 2020 January transfer window.

The transfer window will open at midnight on Wednesday, January 1, 2020.

The transfer window closes at 5pm on Friday, January 31 2020.

Please note that as long as all the necessary paperwork is submitted before the deadline, transfers can be completed afterwards.

Comments

• Any legs to this one in The Athletic?

"Swansea City are leading the race to sign Rhian Brewster after making a formal approach to Liverpool to take the 19-year-old striker on loan for the remainder of the season and offering him the opportunity of regular football at Championship level.

Although Jurgen Klopp was against the idea of Brewster going out on loan in the summer, the Liverpool manager is willing to allow the teenager to pick up some valuable first-team experience elsewhere during the second half of the campaign, mindful that he has made only two appearances this season.

Sources at Liverpool and Swansea have confirmed to The Athletic that the two clubs have held talks about a loan deal for Brewster but insist nothing has been decided yet. Swansea are hopeful they will be given the green light but also aware that other Championship clubs are keen to sign Brewster, including Preston North End.

Either way, it is understood that Liverpool would prefer for any loan agreement to start after their third-round FA Cup tie against Everton at Anfield on Sunday, when Klopp is expected to make a number of changes on the back of a gruelling schedule.

The Merseyside derby will be Liverpool’s seventh game in 19 days and it possible Brewster could feature. Beyond that, however, it is hard to see the former Chelsea youngster getting much game-time when Klopp has other attacking options on the bench.

Swansea are an attractive proposition for Brewster for a couple of reasons, the first being that he will have the opportunity to play frequently for the Championship club, who are expected to offload Borja Baston, another centre forward, during the January window. That would leave Sam Surridge, a loan signing from Bournemouth, as Swansea’s only other out-and-out striker.

Arguably a bigger factor, though, is that Brewster would be reunited with Steve Cooper. The Swansea manager was the England Under-17 coach when Brewster helped his country to World Cup success in 2017 in India, where he played alongside Phil Foden, Jadon Sancho and Callum Hudson-Odoi and scored eight goals to win the golden boot.

Brewster’s progress then stalled after he suffered a serious ankle injury in January 2018 which sidelined him for more than a year. During that period out, Brewster signed a five-year contract with Liverpool amid interest from several Bundesliga clubs.

After being named among the substitutes for last season’s Champions League final against Tottenham Hotspur, he eventually made his debut in September, when Liverpool beat MK Dons in the Carabao Cup. Brewster’s only appearance since was in the same competition in the 5-5 draw with Arsenal in October that Liverpool went onto win on penalties."

• Not much to offer in terms of thoughts on the transfer window apart from what has already been reported. This topic is wholeheartedly depressing at the moment and I fear departures will be on the minds of the owners and therefore TB as chairman. Onwards and upwards?
    Jackareme
  • Article in the press today says the following:

The Swans have a total of 15 players - which includes the four in on loan - out of contract next summer, and following last year's relegation there's always the threat of further player sales in 2020.

The worrying roll call is: Erwin Mulder, Kristoffer Nordfeldt, Freddie Woodman, Mike van der Hoorn, Ben Wilmot, Kyle Naughton, Cian Harries, Nathan Dyer, Tom Carroll, Wayne Routledge, Aldo Kalulu, Borja Baston, Sam Surridge, Jefferson Montero and Courtney Baker-Richardson.

A crisis, or an opportunity to clear the decks? It's probably a bit of column A and a pinch of column B.

But the situation needs sorting - fast.

For me it is absolutely column B. I would investigate deals at the right price for Kyle, Nathan and Wayne (length dependent on age) I would look to offload VdH and  Borja for whatever transfer value we can get, and the rest are adios with virtually zero impact on our matchday squad.

Of course we would need to sign a keeper to compete with Benda, a striker, and a couple of decent up and coming championship level squad players (with upside) eg take the option on Kalulu? Over to Andy Scott and the recruitment team and our Academy graduates.

BUT the revenue from the sales (and salary drop) of Ayew, Borja and Vdh should be sufficient and we would also have the opportunity to keep our best youngsters on longer deals and strategically use the loan market.

I welcome the opportunity to clean our house.

Needless to say - if the agenda is a full on asset strip then none of the above will occur and we are all royally screwed as predicted by @Andrew2 and @Phillip ; - 2020 will be a pivotal year!

• I dunno - if we got either Brewster or Palmer in it could turn out to be a pretty good transfer window. Particularly if we manage to get £20m from Leeds for Ayew (who is great at the moment but sooo expensive).

Expectations have been well and truly managed downwards by both the club and posters on here, so the only way is up!
  • Cadleigh,
    I will be absolutely gob smacked if Leeds gave us £8-10M for Ayew and were prepared to pay all of his salary as they are a club that talk a good game but are very loathe to put their hands in their pockets. 
  • Cadleigh,
    I will be absolutely gob smacked if Leeds gave us £8-10M for Ayew and were prepared to pay all of his salary as they are a club that talk a good game but are very loathe to put their hands in their pockets. 
    I don't think he will go to Leeds who haven't got a pot to piss in, if they couldn't come up with 1M up front for James then forget it, If Spurs take back Jack then they might start dropping like last year but they are desperate to get promotion, so have they got the investors without braking the rules, if they do get up, do they stick with what they got or borrow to stay up using half the TV money as collateral, we did it without borrowing in our first 2 seasons.
    They would also generate 8M a year more than us in season sales than we had but 40K grounds don't generate anything like TV money these days.
    All the top clubs rely on TV, merchandise and wealthy owners, we had 2 out of 3 and cocked it up.

• Cadleigh,

True. It was a best-case scenario rather than a prediction!
  • If he is to come in let’s get him in early, we tend to miss out whenever we loan a player by up to 4 weeks
  • Its been reported that if he is to come it will be after the Cup game v QPR.
  • I think there are a couple of Premier League teams that need a goal scorer and are experiencing relegation "squeaky bum time". 
    Just as we were stupid to re sign Andre there is another mug in this group of teams. - At least I hope so!!
    garetharogers
  • Jackareme said:
    I think there are a couple of Premier League teams that need a goal scorer and are experiencing relegation "squeaky bum time". 
    Just as we were stupid to re sign Andre there is another mug in this group of teams. - At least I hope so!!
    I think there are a few of us who hope so. Best wishes to you, look forward to your posts in New Year
    Jackareme
  • it seems that Sam Surridge is about to leave - giving us room in the roster. for me I would prefer to see Ayew play in there and add a kick ass midfielder.
    However, Sam has been a model pro and has given everything to the cause and for that we thank him and wish him a long and successful career. 
    I do wonder about the thinking in taking Sam in the first place, however, as we already had Andre and Borja who could play in that position (and I think both are better players) _ I hope if we take Brewster he will add something different in style or quality.
    Anyone seen much of the boy? Is he quick, does he come short or play on the shoulder of defenders, does he run wide or stay central is he good in the air, good dribbler natural finisher etc.?? there are a lot of well educated football watchers on this site - anyone able to offer a scouting report?
  • Jackareme said:
    it seems that Sam Surridge is about to leave - giving us room in the roster. for me I would prefer to see Ayew play in there and add a kick ass midfielder.
    However, Sam has been a model pro and has given everything to the cause and for that we thank him and wish him a long and successful career. 
    I do wonder about the thinking in taking Sam in the first place, however, as we already had Andre and Borja who could play in that position (and I think both are better players) _ I hope if we take Brewster he will add something different in style or quality.
    Anyone seen much of the boy? Is he quick, does he come short or play on the shoulder of defenders, does he run wide or stay central is he good in the air, good dribbler natural finisher etc.?? there are a lot of well educated football watchers on this site - anyone able to offer a scouting report?
    We were obviously hoping to get a good offer for Ayew or Borja until the very last moment of the last window, and will hope the same this one.

Brewster's been injured for most of the last couple of years so your guess is as good as anyone's. Talked up by Liverpool's people including Klopp about as much as Dhanda was (okay maybe a bit more).
    JackaremeSeaJack
  • Perhaps Moyes will take him back to The Ammers ?  :joy:
    referring back to Jackareme. If it’s column b, then it’s time for our new HOR Andy Scott to step up to the plate, and start to earn his money. 

Jackareme
  • You too @Colin_swansea and all the many guestbook \ers 
    SeaJack
  • Jackareme said:
    Article in the press today says the following:

The Swans have a total of 15 players - which includes the four in on loan - out of contract next summer, and following last year's relegation there's always the threat of further player sales in 2020.

The worrying roll call is: Erwin Mulder, Kristoffer Nordfeldt, Freddie Woodman, Mike van der Hoorn, Ben Wilmot, Kyle Naughton, Cian Harries, Nathan Dyer, Tom Carroll, Wayne Routledge, Aldo Kalulu, Borja Baston, Sam Surridge, Jefferson Montero and Courtney Baker-Richardson.

A crisis, or an opportunity to clear the decks? It's probably a bit of column A and a pinch of column B.

But the situation needs sorting - fast.

For me it is absolutely column B. I would investigate deals at the right price for Kyle, Nathan and Wayne (length dependent on age) I would look to offload VdH and  Borja for whatever transfer value we can get, and the rest are adios with virtually zero impact on our matchday squad.

Of course we would need to sign a keeper to compete with Benda, a striker, and a couple of decent up and coming championship level squad players (with upside) eg take the option on Kalulu? Over to Andy Scott and the recruitment team and our Academy graduates.

BUT the revenue from the sales (and salary drop) of Ayew, Borja and Vdh should be sufficient and we would also have the opportunity to keep our best youngsters on longer deals and strategically use the loan market.

I welcome the opportunity to clean our house.

Needless to say - if the agenda is a full on asset strip then none of the above will occur and we are all royally screwed as predicted by @Andrew2 and @Phillip ; - 2020 will be a pivotal year!

It's got the look and feel of a Bolton, Blackpool or Sunderland to me.

That kind of turnover of players in one summer, and only the last peppercorn parachute payment to cover it, spells trouble. While I completely agree it's a good time to do a bit of spring cleaning, let's face it, even if we keep Naughton, Dyer and Routledge they are a year further past their prime, we're hardly putting a long term spine together if we do that. 

I'm sure Scott is working his balls off behind the scenes trying to line up all the ducks, but we all know he's going to be doing that with one hand tied behind his back, it's going to be a virtually impossible ask. 

I know it's sounds completely defeatist but if we finish mid-table - as looks most likely - then you will still get decent odds on us to go down in early summer while the bookies are slow to cotton on. For me it'll be like buying money - I fail to see any other outcome, especially as it looks like we'll have Cooper still in charge who is hopeless.
  • It would not surprise me to see us sign Brewster on loan on the last day of the window if Ayew and/or Baston go. But not before. 
  • According to Sky sports Bournemouth have recalled Surridge
  • edited January 1
    Happy New year Gary- good wishes for 2020
    Lets both hope your predictions are off the mark though.
  • Never mind we have Borja up front and there again he might be the next one out of the door.
  • Moorlands

What have you seen to make you think otherwise ? Please tell me one thing on the playing side that has improved since Potter left ? 

And please tell me what is going to improve over the next 9 months ?
  • edited January 1
    Andrew2 said:
    Moorlands

What have you seen to make you think otherwise ? Please tell me one thing on the playing side that has improved since Potter left ? 

And please tell me what is going to improve over the next 9 months ?
    No idea Andrew. I just have a more positive outlook I suppose.I find it preferable to the gloomier alternatives.
  • Andrew,
    at least the goalkeeping errors have been minimised greatly from last season.

gary,
    what the end of contracts in May to so many does is give the club the opportunity to remove a lot of deadwood and players on far greater wages than many current Championship players. Personally I would give Routledge and Naughton a year contract just for their experience, but if we can't replace the remaining deadwood with better prospects then Scott will have failed the brief set out to him when he was employed. 

• Surridge did ok with us. Nothing more than that IMO. Still wondering how he got ahead of Borja really. Borja pressurised from the front yet Surridge didn't seem to much. But wish him the best back at Bournemouth
  • SVJack said:
    Surridge did ok with us. Nothing more than that IMO. Still wondering how he got ahead of Borja really. Borja pressurised from the front yet Surridge didn't seem to much. But wish him the best back at Bournemouth
    Okay is a little generous. Offered next to nothing, fell over a lot. Got a few scrappy goals.

Hopefully the next loan player is better.
    Jackareme
  • Colin

I agree, but even his recent performances have not been anywhere near as solid as when he arrived. That apart, there is no improvement, and no improvement that I can see coming any time soon.

• SVJack said:
    Surridge did ok with us. Nothing more than that IMO. Still wondering how he got ahead of Borja really. Borja pressurised from the front yet Surridge didn't seem to much. But wish him the best back at Bournemouth
    My guess is he got ahead because he was probably guaranteed game time, and why risk injury to Baston (if) he is to be sold this month.
  • We all know how desperate Bournemouth are at present, and this recall confirms it.
  • I am totally unmoved by the prospect of the opening of the transfer window.  I cannot see us bringing in new players, just shedding existing ones.  I am not bothered whether we sell Ayew or not.  He represents the total sum of quality in the team.  So the club sells him and saves on his wages, so what?  Will the savings go towards strengthening the team?  Doubt it, hence not bothered.
  • I am totally unmoved by the prospect of the opening of the transfer window.  I cannot see us bringing in new players, just shedding existing ones.  I am not bothered whether we sell Ayew or not.  He represents the total sum of quality in the team.
    How quickly people forget how well many of these players were doing pre-Cooper.
    deekaygarythenotrashcougarmoorlands