Football betting site Betway

Match Discussion: Swans v Charlton Athletic - Championship 2019/20

edited January 2 in Swansea City
This is the place to discuss all things related to the Swans v Charlton Athletic Championship game on Thursday,  2 January 2020 at 7:45pm.

Referee Peter Bankes will be assisted by Derek Eaton and Nick Hopton, with Michael Salisbury the 4th Official for the game.

Have a read of the Swansea City v Charlton Athletic Head to Head Statistics since the first meeting in South Wales in 1922.

Share your pre and post match thoughts, views on Steve Cooper's pre or post match comments, team selection and don't forget to submit your score prediction for our Swansea City Prediction League.

Comments

• I would like to see the manager take a few more risks in the team selection for this match to add some creativity, tempo and pace to the attack.  Assuming that no new players are brought in, it follows that he has to find those attributes within the current squad. 

Celina, Dhanda and Byers have all been tried in the AM or no. 10 role and none have managed to perform consistently. All three have lacked an end product and as the phrase goes ‘flattered to deceive’.  The same could be said of Peterson when playing out wide.  However, I think his game could well suit the number 10 position and would like to see him given that chance in the next couple of matches.

I think Grimes has played well in the last couple of games but I sometimes get the impression he is trying to also do the work of others who are not contributing enough, thus reducing his effectiveness.  Against Barnsley, he consistently took responsibility and tried to make things happen but often from a less than ideal deeper position.  It’s just a pity we don’t have a holding midfielder that could take some of the workload off Grimes.  It would then allow him to play that bit further forward, where his creativity could offer more of a threat.

In terms of pace, both John and Kalulu are possible options to consider.  At least one of these should be in the starting line up.

Whatever the team selection the manager decides on, I don’t think maintaining the current style of play is sustainable, especially if he wishes to keep the fans on board and supporting the team.  A more adventurous approach is required and soon.

• Good luck with that @jasfan !
  • I watched Charlton the other night and they were depleted by lots of injuries and looked totally out on their feet. They have a day less rest than us and are travelling.
    If we do not play with high intensity and blow them away it will be a VERY bad state of affairs.
    deekaySeaJack
  • We are home and should be taking the game to Charlton whether or not they have travelled or played a day later than us. Watching highlight programmes at all levels most teams play with some pace...we don’t. We play out from the back sideways and backwards slowly allowing the other team to regroup. We have pace in Kalulu so let’s start with him and at the same time put some good crosses in for Borja to try to score from....Surridge is gone....the crowd will be probably our lowest for this game the Barnsley game putting many off another visit to our so called fortress. SC has to have some courage and give us the attacking football he promises but never seems to happen frustratingly. 
    The annoying thing about this league  is that apart from the top  2 nobody else seems to want to go up or for that matter are consistent enough to stay in the play off places. Being normally a cup half full sort of person we will go for it tomorrow and win by a couple of goals....
  • With Wycombe top of League 1 we may be defending against a 38 yr old called Adebayo Akinfenwa next season
  • jasfan, we do have that player. it's Wilmot. But, until we have Rodon or VdH back fit, probably both, then that's not possible right now.

And I would, like you, see it happen.
    jasper_T
  • After the showing of our last number of performances on field and with selection and set up I decided to just read the posts on here and not pass comment at this point.
    Have not been surprised by fans reactions to the way manager has set up, selection changes and standard of play.
    If there is not a reaction by Cooper and the team tonight I expect the fans to be even louder in their criticism.
    I am not a person that would encourage booing our own team or manager but it is really going backwards  in terms of style, quality and effort.

I really hope there will be a good performance tonight for everyone's sake.
  • jasfan, we do have that player. it's Wilmot. But, until we have Rodon or VdH back fit, probably both, then that's not possible right now.

Another possibility is Jack Evans. I cannot understand why he's not been given an opportunity, especially as SC is keen to develop from within
    SeaJack
  • deekay said:
    jasfan, we do have that player. it's Wilmot. But, until we have Rodon or VdH back fit, probably both, then that's not possible right now.

Another possibility is Jack Evans. I cannot understand why he's not been given an opportunity, especially as SC is keen to develop from within
    Is Jack ready?

I guess there is only one way to find out!
  • deekay said:
    jasfan, we do have that player. it's Wilmot. But, until we have Rodon or VdH back fit, probably both, then that's not possible right now.

From within other clubs academies before ours, evidently.
  • deekay said:

Is Jack ready?

He's the standout player in the u23's this season and is extremely consistent. Not sure what else he can do to be given an opportunity
  • deekay said:

I don't think Cooper is showing that he is keen to develop from within. Off the top of my head, it's only Cabango that has newly progressed into the league matchday squad this season from the U23s - and he wouldn't have been there had it not been for Rodon's injury necessitating Wilmot's promotion from the bench.

I remember in his early days Cooper was talking a lot about his ambitions around this, and, to be fair, some players did move into the first team training group from the U23s, but they are not being picked yet. 
  • After the showing of our last number of performances on field and with selection and set up I decided to just read the posts on here and not pass comment at this point.
    Have not been surprised by fans reactions to the way manager has set up, selection changes and standard of play.
    If there is not a reaction by Cooper and the team tonight I expect the fans to be even louder in their criticism.
    I am not a person that would encourage booing our own team or manager but it is really going backwards  in terms of style, quality and effort.

I really hope there will be a good performance tonight for everyone's sake.
    wouldn't advocate booing? neither would I....EVER! it's counter productive and a young team of professionals doesn't deserve it either. Football fans aren't the best example of human beings....in fact the mob rule booboys are about the worst example of a decent human ever. So I don't ever advocate abuse, because abuse by ignoramuses is what it is sadly
  • deekay said:

I don't think Cooper is showing that he is keen to develop from within. Off the top of my head, it's only Cabango that has newly progressed into the league matchday squad this season from the U23s - and he wouldn't have been there had it not been for Rodon's injury necessitating Wilmot's promotion from the bench.

I remember in his early days Cooper was talking a lot about his ambitions around this, and, to be fair, some players did move into the first team training group from the U23s, but they are not being picked yet. 
    sorry Jeff...we are ALL about youth.....so now even the obviously true is being denied to further criticism of SC
    deekay
  • Pablo said:
    deekay said:

sorry Jeff...we are ALL about youth.....so now even the obviously true is being denied to further criticism of SC
    We're still one of the younger sides but not to the same extent as last season. 

https://www.transfermarkt.com/championship/durchschnittsalter/wettbewerb/GB2
  • deekay said:
    deekay said:

Is Jack ready?

He's the standout player in the u23's this season and is extremely consistent. Not sure what else he can do to be given an opportunity
    obviously those closest to the action will have the best idea when and if Jack is ready.....let the manager do his job....
    jasper_T
  • a number of changes, including positional. VdH back. no space for Peterson in the squad.

• jasper_T said:
    Pablo said:
    deekay said:

yes confirmation...people actually age  over time ;)
  • Naughton at left back. Has no left foot and will constantly cut in. Charlton know that. Anyone knows that. Celina dropped. Routledge in.
  • Glad I am watching from home tonight. that weather looks Shee-ite. 
  • that was superb play, and a brilliant shot.
  • Borja looks so up for this tonight. He's moving well, and working well with Yan too.
  • what a miss then .........

• We're pressing high and using width. We're winning. Not rocket science. The only Borja doesn't have thus far @Mark_Jack_London is his shooting boots.
    Jackareme
  • he's not the only one. 

the movement is excellent tonight. I think Borja being the focal point helps.

but darting runs by Routs helps. Yan always looking forward and running with the ball  too.

Charlton living a charmed life right now.
  • where has this style off football been for the last few months?
  • Pablo said:
    jasper_T said:
    Pablo said:
    deekay said:

yes confirmation...people actually age  over time ;)
    If we're still using the same players as last season why are you trying to argue Cooper is bringing through youth?

Good half. Borja showing what we missed with Sewerage up top.
  • We have a winger actually on the wing using the width of the pitch ... but should be 3 up at least 
    Jackareme