sewing machine shop craddock street
economy tools in union street
mad man standing in middle of kingsway shouting at traffic
john ham music shop
top man
C&A

BigGWebmasterJeff_CowbridgeDDWTbigoak

Comments

• HMV is gone?!!!! Next you'll be telling me Wendy no longer works at Virgin Records.

Cheers for that. Frighteningly, a lot of that is after my time. Was Argos what replaced Top Woolworths?
  • Our Price music shop
    JT Morgan (with the very strange pricing codes?!)
    Swansea Market selling proper Hasbro Star Wars figures, Penclawdd cockles & Hoover bags all under 1 roof
    The Joke shop in the Arcade - stink bombs
    ......there's more
  • Cadleigh said:
    HMV is gone?!!!! Next you'll be telling me Wendy no longer works at Virgin Records.

Cheers for that. Frighteningly, a lot of that is after my time. Was Argos what replaced Top Woolworths?
    Yes, further up High Street. W H Smith's with record booths!  Duck, son & Pinkers  & the Arcade 
    Cadleigh
  • A great model railway shop in one of the arcades, opposite a lingerie boutique as I recall. I didn't know which way to look. if I was looking for a pair of 37's I could find them in either of the shops!! :D 
    JackRaven
  • StephenR said:
    Cadleigh said:
    HMV is gone?!!!! Next you'll be telling me Wendy no longer works at Virgin Records.

Yes, further up High Street. W H Smith's with record booths!  Duck, son & Pinkers  & the Arcade 
    I got my first 3 piece suit in Burtons on High street. Think 3 -button high waisted flares  a la Bay city Rollers
  • Spot on referring to Tea Cosy Pete as Top Man.
  • StephenR said:
    Cadleigh said:

Forgot Eynon's pies 
  • BigG said:
    Our Price music shop
    Swansea Market selling proper Hasbro Star Wars figures, Penclawdd cockles & Hoover bags all under 1 roof
    ......there's more

Used to love going into JT Morgan & their packing room where men in brown dustcoats would wrap your parcels in brown paper & string. It was an artform
  • I believe Argos in the old High Street Woolworths is closing and I would think the large building will be quite difficult to find new owners.
  • St Davids RC School and Bernard Hastie engineering  workshops at Rutland Street ,with Glanfield Lawrence car dealers across the road .Not forgetting the Hancocks Brewery stables for their dray horses at the end of Salubrious Passage.
  • The best bacon beans and chips and strawberry milk I ever had was in the winsdor caff
  • Morriston back in the day, some nice shops, gone forever including Woolworths in the distance
    Cadleigh
  • Atkinson Sports on Oxford Street, got my first Subbuteo set, except they only had two teams available, Walsall and Belgium.  Some epic tournaments on the sitting room floor! 

Lewis Lewis store on High Street and Mackworth Hotel

Sweet Briar cafe 
  • A real Swansea Character

Mark_Jack_Londonbigoak
  • Before the Liberty and Rossi's there was the canal
  • trying to remember the place in the Arcade where I used to get my sta-pressed trousers.
  • Derricks still going strong. Bought a couple of vinyl albums from there when I was back over Christmas. Still the same faces running it from when I was a teen in the 80s - owner Chris Stylinaou and side-kick Sian. 

Like me, older and greyer!
  • Benches and flowers down the Kingsway
    Buses safely going the proper direction up and down the Kingsway
    Strikeout restaurant - under the YMCA
    Martha's <3 
    Harper's
    Thriving businesses on Walter Road
    The Union Café - frequented by Swans players after training
    Albert Hall cinema
    Number 10 pub with the stuffed bear
    Vetch Field :p 
    Car showroom which is now the Potters' Wheel

(P.S. HMV is also doing well - always lots of people in there - buoyed by resurgence in vinyl which takes up as much floor space as CDs )

• trying to remember the place in the Arcade where I used to get my sta-pressed trousers.
    Oxfam ? :)

Mark_Jack_London
    Hi Mark, wasn't it Phil Pritchards Boys/Mens wear shop in Picton Arcade.
  • My fathers Moustache, Robert Bensons for men, Jean Jeanie
  • Nostalgic old git, I know but I remember being able to run from my Grandparents on Clifton Hill all  the way across to Woollies, with just the bombsite to run through, no buildings!!
  • The Chattery in the Uplands (I know it's not been gone that long but I still miss the tea and toast we used to have there in the 80s)
    The Press (where we ran off copies of Alarm on banding machines)
    Good Habits
    Dora's
    The cellar at the Coach House
    The SSA Bar
  • StephenR said:
    Nostalgic old git, I know but I remember being able to run from my Grandparents on Clifton Hill all  the way across to Woollies, with just the bombsite to run through, no buildings!!

Jesus. Top Woolies or Bottom Woolies?
    Mark_Jack_London
  • BigG said:
    Our Price music shop
    ......there's more
    i dont remember
  • StephenR said:
    StephenR said:
    Cadleigh said:

Forgot Eynon's pies 
    i dont remember
  • edited January 2020
    jollyboy said:
    A real Swansea Character

he reminded me of them sadhus in india
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sadhu

• edited January 2020
    there was another homeless person around for decades in swansea. he carried a large rucksack , often up and down clyne track , bought lunch in tycoch minisupermarket and slept on public benches in plain view of  traffic (to annoy people) in blackpill and brynmill. i havnt seen him for a while either

• Cadleigh said:
    StephenR said:
    Nostalgic old git, I know but I remember being able to run from my Grandparents on Clifton Hill all  the way across to Woollies, with just the bombsite to run through, no buildings!!

Top Wollies on the High street
  • StephenR said:
    Cadleigh said:
    StephenR said:

Top Wollies on the High street

Wow. So not through the ruins of Ben Evans but where the old David Evans was? I remember growing up in bombsites but not like that.