Football betting site Betway

Swans' salaries

fascinating and scary pictogram of average salaries of our time in the PL, against other teams - starts at 10 grand, ends in tears!

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/1199598/
Jackareme

Comments

• Frightening, mind, hits home
  • Goes a long way to explaining where all the money has gone
  • It also illustrates all that is wrong with modern day football.

Clubs across the country (world?) are in financial difficulty due to the wage demands of players, driven by agents.
  • deekay said:
    Goes a long way to explaining where all the money has gone
    Not really because if we had 25 first team squad members all on 37000 a week that only accounts for 48M so add a couple on 100K a week and it goes to 58M but our wage bill in that year was 99M in total, so who how many get what amount to account for other wages that take up 40% of the total wage bill. Bearing in mind we had income of 137M that year alone.  We were also one of the lowest weekly wage earners
    jasper_T
  • And IF my aunty had balls she'd be my uncle. More back of a fag packet accounting based on guesswork
  • deekay said:
    And IF my aunty had balls she'd be my uncle. More back of a fag packet accounting based on guesswork
    That's not back of a fag paper calculations its backed up by what you have put up, its not rocket science to do averages  and deduct players wages from total wages, to deduce total wages far exceed players and managers wages, when will you admit the discrepancy in first team wages is disproportionate to  what the total bill should be.  To get a wage bill of 99M will take some explaining, so as a simple exercise for one as knowledgeable as you, try and explain where 41M is attributed to 300 employees, bare in mind the safety manager is on 37K a year and admin all 40 of them are on 17K  a year. Its absolutely impossible to justify such expenditure on non players wages.  Don't try and use all the players at under 16/17/18/19/20 as they attribute to 150 employees but none are on more than 15K a year. So its preposterous to suggest anything I have written is guesswork.     
  • You still don't seem to understand that those are basic salaries and a large chunk of the £99m figure is bonus payments (avoiding relegation cost us around £10m on its own iirc, which is the only reason our total wage bill on the accounts went down in our final PL season). 
  • Phillip. as one who spent my working life involved in the calculation and management of company running costs and overheads, for commercial organisations of a similar size to the Club in terms of employee and staff numbers.I must advise you that to 'guesstimate' these costs as you are doing is almost pointless in terms of being realistic.I compliment you on your determination to prove your opinion that there was a financial scam engineered in the Club,but without  accurate costing information you will not reach an accurate conclusion.
  • moorlands said:
    Phillip. as one who spent my working life involved in the calculation and management of company running costs and overheads, for commercial organisations of a similar size to the Club in terms of employee and staff numbers.I must advise you that to 'guesstimate' these costs as you are doing is almost pointless in terms of being realistic.I compliment you on your determination to prove your opinion that there was a financial scam engineered in the Club,but without  accurate costing information you will not reach an accurate conclusion.
    So why from 2015 to 2018 did the total number of employees rise by 150 and the wage bill also rise by 37M 
    My question is very simple who are these 150 new employees that went up by 50 a year, what did they do and what percentage of this massive wage hike did they receive. From 2011 to 2014/15 season the number of employees and the wages were proportionate, the accounts were easily read and the Trust had input.
    I am not stating my figures are completely accurate, however those that dispute my claims cannot give any tangible reason for these increases, only statements like you don't understand how finances work in football etc.
    You must admit that a huge rise in wages, together with massive increases in staff is odd, considering they weren't footballers so who were they 
  • edited January 9
    If the numbers are correct a question about the rise of  150 employees after 2015, and the reason for the increase in numbers is a legitimate one.

• Phillip,
    From Company Accounts
    2015 wages-£82.5M, Turnover-£103.9m, Staff-307
    2016 wages-£81.7M, Turnover-£97.15M, Staff-361
    2017 wages-£98.7M, Turnover-£127.76M, Staff-369
    2018 wages-£91.3M, Turnover-£128.1M, Staff-558*
    I am assuming that the increase was after taking over the stadium lease.

• A friend of mine who is a steward at the Liberty told me that he is now paid directly by the Swans. That would go a long way to explaining the sudden increase in staff numbers. 

• deekay said:
    A friend of mine who is a steward at the Liberty told me that he is now paid directly by the Swans. That would go a long way to explaining the sudden increase in staff numbers. 

That would account for an extra 200 staff in 2018 where the turnover increased but the wages actually went down. Mostly down to part time workers on low wages.  2017 is a bad one turnover up 30M staff increase 60 wages up 17M.

• Phillip said:
    deekay said:
    A friend of mine who is a steward at the Liberty told me that he is now paid directly by the Swans. That would go a long way to explaining the sudden increase in staff numbers. 

That would account for an extra 200 staff in 2018 where the turnover increased but the wages actually went down. Mostly down to part time workers on low wages.  2017 is a bad one turnover up 30M staff increase 60 wages up 17M.

Call the police if you think there's a scam, I bet the Swans are shaking in their boots, not
    A Swansea man is head of accounts, he has 5 under him, all Swansea people, they'd have to be aware of this scam, the Inland Revenue would need to be in on it, the auditors too, creditors and not forgetting the PL, EFL and FA as well as the Supporters Trust. THERE IS NO SCAM, mismanagement and money squandered on poor signings yes but no scam.

Mark_Jack_LondonmoorlandsdeekayPablo

• Phillip,
    From Company Accounts
    2015 wages-£82.5M, Turnover-£103.9m, Staff-307
    2016 wages-£81.7M, Turnover-£97.15M, Staff-361
    2017 wages-£98.7M, Turnover-£127.76M, Staff-369
    2018 wages-£91.3M, Turnover-£128.1M, Staff-558*
    I am assuming that the increase was after taking over the stadium lease.

Seems logical and understandable to me ,especially in view of the spending spree to stay up  and the Stadium commitments in the latter years.
  • Phillip said:
    deekay said:
    And IF my aunty had balls she'd be my uncle. More back of a fag packet accounting based on guesswork
    That's not back of a fag paper calculations its backed up by what you have put up, its not rocket science to do averages  and deduct players wages from total wages, to deduce total wages far exceed players and managers wages, when will you admit the discrepancy in first team wages is disproportionate to  what the total bill should be.  To get a wage bill of 99M will take some explaining, so as a simple exercise for one as knowledgeable as you, try and explain where 41M is attributed to 300 employees, bare in mind the safety manager is on 37K a year and admin all 40 of them are on 17K  a year. Its absolutely impossible to justify such expenditure on non players wages.  Don't try and use all the players at under 16/17/18/19/20 as they attribute to 150 employees but none are on more than 15K a year. So its preposterous to suggest anything I have written is guesswork.     
    Firstly,

I did not put those figures up, MJL did. So, wrong on that count and I'll graciously accept your apology in advance.

As for the alleged discrepancy and as I have said on many occasions, until we see the detailed accounts (if ever, but that's another matter) no one, not even you Phillip, can say with any degree of certainty how those figures are derived.

However, it is very likely that the 'discrepancy' is made up of a number of different expenditures, scammed or otherwise. I would offer up some possibilities, and I stress they are just that, possibilities, as I have NOTHING to substantiate them. 

1. The merit based payments were largely reported, and I think confirmed by HJ at one point, given over to the first team squad at the end of each season as a bonus. At the time, they were, as I recall, £750k for each final position above the bottom place achieved that season. So when we finished in 8th position, the bonus pot was 12 x £750k = £9m. That could have been shown as wages and would be above the annual guaranteed salary. Last season each place merited £2m, so clearly, the figures changed considerably season on season.

2. Someone posted recently that agents fees are no longer shown in the accounts submitted to companies house (I can't be bothered to check if that's correct or not), but if it is correct, maybe they have been added to the wages bill as they are payments made to individuals.

3. As we all know, HJ made a significant number of contract extensions to players contracts ranging from the annual extension to Ashleigh Williams's contract, to the absolutely ridiculous extensions to Baker Richardson and Biabi just a week before he left the club. They would likely have been accompanied by a 'signing on fee' and could easily have been included under the salaries heading.

I'm sure there are many more possibilities for inclusion under the salaries heading, and who knows if we'll ever get to know for certain what has been included. The only thing I do know for certain is that until the details are published, IT IS ALL GUESSWORK

• Take Ash, for instance, he was on £10k a week as a championship player, this was doubled on reaching the PL, his performances allowed for him to come in each season for a larger salary up until he left for Everton when it was reported that he was on £65k a week, it was too much for a club of our income but HJ was damned if he did and damned if he didn't pay it.