Football betting site Betway

Swansea City on the 8 January

edited January 15 in Swansea City
Those of you who like to look back on the good (and bad) old days of the Swans, might want to have a browse of the Swans on January 8th

CadleighPablo

Comments

• Thanks for that - please keep them coming!
    DDWT
  • DDWT,
    do you know who the players are?
  • Palace player is Hinshelwood

• Is that Leighton Phillips with the dodgy 'tache?
  • Colin Irwin or possibly Max Thompson?? Not sure... I was at the Vetch and Ninian Park neutral ground 2nd replay, which turned out to be an off the field fiasco. Great series of cup ties, back in the day when FA Cup ties could become a real saga with many long and drawn out slug fests.
  • Don't  think it was either Jackareme  ,
    I think we probably  in the second division  at the time ,
    Saw the first and third  game , for the replay four of us travelled over the Beacons in the snow  , it was so busy getting into Cardiff we parked the car a long way from the ground and ran the rest of the way , didn't  see the first 10 or 15 mins , Terry Boyle  scored for Palace early , so we were 1 nil down , David Giles played out of his skin and we won 2 = 1 , 

The victory and evening was overshadowed  by the stabbing of the Swans fan , So sad ,

After leaving the ground , we couldn't  remember  were the car was parked , we found it eventually  and drove back to Brecon via Newport ,

I did like our kit that season , not sure if the next round or the one after was West Ham away , that's another story 
  • Could be Dave Rushberry   or Chris Marustik ?
  • Only players with moustaches that season were Leighton James, John Mahoney, Mark Baker, Chris Marustik, Neil Robinson and Robbie James (moustaches were big in those days, I blame Midge Ure...) It's definitely not Robbie or Leighton so maybe Mark Baker? He's tackling like a forward...
  • Dave Rushbury with Charlo in the background 
  • players from left to right I think,   ????(Palace), Kember(Palace), ?????(Swans), Rushbury(Swans), Letheren(Swans)
  • DDWT said:
    Those of you who like to look back on the good (and bad) old days of the Swans, might have to have a browse of the Swans on January 8th

team: SWANS: Letheran, Marustik, Rushbury, Charles, Phillips, Giles, Craig, James, Waddle, Toshack, Callaghan
    players from left to right I think,   ????(Palace), Kember(Palace), ?????(Swans), Rushbury(Swans), Letheren(Swans)

methinks we are attacking so Craig; Waddle; Charles in the background Hinshelwood; Burridge 
  • edited January 10
    DDWT,
    do you know who the players are?
    Sadly I don't Colin  :/

In my defence I was only about 8 at the time  :D

This might help everyone identify the 'tash though  ;)

Pablo
  • Thanks DDWT 

Great photo , a young Dean Saunders and Gary Richards in the front , Darren Gale in the back row 
  • Are we getting confused because the Swans are playing in the strip that has the diagonal stripes - as per this photo? I cant remember which season/era we sported this top? If that is the case I think the Swans player might be Dave Rushberry and the player with the moustache is a Palace player????

DDWT
  • I’d like to suggest that the photo is not of a Swans match at all. Looks to like Man City v Palace, with Gerry Gow wth the tache and maybe Paul Power in the background on the ledt
    Cadleigh
  • I’d like to suggest that the photo is not of a Swans match at all. Looks to like Man City v Palace, with Gerry Gow wth the tache and maybe Paul Power in the background on the ledt

Jeff,
    could be right there, Colin Bell left then Gerry Gow I think

StephenRJeff_Cowbridge
    http://lagaleriadelfutbol.blogspot.com/2014/11/crystalpalace1980-1990.html?m=1
    PabloJeff_Cowbridge
  • Bring back the diagonal stripe I say! looks all European! [not very popular these days with a certain section of the population].....bring back the Zapata mustache too! ah those were the days
    Arch_StantonJackaremeDDWT
    Looking at the picture more closely Jeff (unlike when I sourced it the first time around!) - I think you're actually correct... I don't think it is the Swans either, especially after seeing the kit that @Jackareme posted.

The diagonal stripe kit in the photo threw me totally  :flushed:

Sorry folks my bad - obviously need my eyes tested and to check my sources more thoroughly!!
    Jeff_CowbridgeSeaJack
  • well done to Jeff Cowbridge who gets the Hercule Poirot award for Excellent Deduction
    Jeff_CowbridgeDDWTSeaJack
  • edited January 11
    Here we go ……. with the source photo included too, as did Cadleigh's link…..

https://www.citytilidie.com/latest/crystal-palace-home-fa-cup-3rd-round-198081/

I can sleep tonight now
    Arch_StantonJackaremeMalc
  • The City team that day included one of my favourite Swans player - the great Tommy Hutchinson :)
  • edited January 11
    The City team that day included one of my favourite Swans player - the great Tommy Hutchinson :)
    Here's Tommy in his pomp....wore the classic Zapata with a certain gingerness ;)
  • The player on the left is Phil Boyer
    Jeff_Cowbridge
  • Well done Jeff Cowbridge  

Looks good in colour