Football betting site Betway

Season Tickets

As we head towards the time when we are encouraged to purchase our Seasons for 20/21 what is the general view, to renew or not ?

In our group, we lost 4 last season, we also lost about 7 that sat around us, just behind/in front etc. The entertainment on offer is abysmal, and not likely to get better any time soon. 

I have had a season for more years than I can remember, and I guess will put myself through more misery again next season, but, for the first time ever I can honestly say it will be for the day out with friends and not for the dross we are serving up as entertainment. 

Who is going to renew and why, who is not and why ?

Comments

• It's a reasonable question Andrew.
    I have already renewed, not because I like what I'm seeing on the pitch, but just because "it's what I do" - it's what I've done since the late 70s. I think I might feel guilty if I didn't renew . I also like the seat that I have in the East and I sit with a bunch of guys that I used to go to the Vetch with and still go to the pub with before the match. So, like you, it is definitely a social thing as well, but I suppose I could still do that to some extent by just buying tickets per match, although that would be a lot more expensive. So I'm also saving money by buying a season ticket.
    We've only lost 3 from our row of , say, ten since we got our Liberty seats - 1 has just "gone" , one passed away and one moved to the South because he has a young family and needed more seats. 
    I think we will sell less for next season unless we somehow get promoted, but I don't think we are playing with sufficient quality to retain all of this year's season ticket holders. And I would understand anybody having that view.
    I would also understand anybody like Gary who takes a stance on the owners and doesn't renew because of that. 
  • I decided not to renew after the summer 2018 transfer window when Potter got utterly shafted, and nothing I have seen since on or off the pitch has convinced me to change my mind. 

I will not pay another penny into the club until the owners leave. That way my conscience will always be clear as they continue to sell off the farm, piece by piece.

To anyone else who may be teetering, I would say give it a try. I have been pleasantly surprised at how many games I have ended up seeing, despite no longer having a ST. Loads of games are either on Sky main channel, or if not their red button. Many Sat 3pm away games are also easily streamable if you know where to look (though Sat 3pm home games are almost impossible to find)

I've been lucky enough to win tickets a couple of times, there are loads of competitions you can enter. Official sponsors of the club and the league are always giving them away. You'd be surprised. 

And I'm also fortunate that when two of my mates have gone on holiday, I've been first reserve. I've gladly crossed their palms with silver to say thanks, better than handing it to those ****** across the pond. 

I guess it all depends on your outlook and what your personal preferences are I suppose, but on the whole it's worked for me. 
  • edited January 13
    Of course there is a point of view that the majority of the money laid out on tickets  goes into the pockets of the Club's employees and local suppliers to provide their living,rather than into the pockets of the owners.
    Personal choice obviously, but I know which way my sympathies would lean if I was thinking about where my ticket money was ending up.
  • edited January 13
    I decided not to renew after the summer 2018 transfer window when Potter got utterly shafted, and nothing I have seen since on or off the pitch has convinced me to change my mind. 

I will not pay another penny into the club until the owners leave. That way my conscience will always be clear as they continue to sell off the farm, piece by piece.

To anyone else who may be teetering, I would say give it a try. I have been pleasantly surprised at how many games I have ended up seeing, despite no longer having a ST. Loads of games are either on Sky main channel, or if not their red button. Many Sat 3pm away games are also easily streamable if you know where to look (though Sat 3pm home games are almost impossible to find)

I've been lucky enough to win tickets a couple of times, there are loads of competitions you can enter. Official sponsors of the club and the league are always giving them away. You'd be surprised. 

And I'm also fortunate that when two of my mates have gone on holiday, I've been first reserve. I've gladly crossed their palms with silver to say thanks, better than handing it to those ****** across the pond. 

I guess it all depends on your outlook and what your personal preferences are I suppose, but on the whole it's worked for me. 
    So you wanted our owners to be irresponsible and spend money we don't have? 

I have renewed because I support the club in good times and in bad, you do what makes you feel comfortable, the OP is not a supporter of Swansea City or if he is then he has a very funny way of showing it, he's probably better off not renewing and possibly find something else to do.
    Mark_Jack_LondonCadleigh
  • Andrew is one of the ones telling us all that we must be dull if we believe the yanks are not taking money out but here he is helping them take money out by putting money in to their accounts each year . Practice what you preach dear boy  :D
    Cadleigh
  • I will renew. I agree that the football being served up presently is poor, but I've got to be honest and say that I was getting peed off in the Prem. (You must think I'm mad to make such a statement). I sit in the west stand, where it borders the south. I'm practically on the goal line, 15 rows back, or thereabouts. I sit next to a lovely man from Skewen, and have done now for about three years. I've never asked his name though! One of the things that peed me off in the Prem was sitting in a row of empty seats, when we played the likes of Burnley, Watford, and Brighton, then being surrounded by total strangers when we played Liverpool, or Man U, or Spurs! And these people would pretend to be Swans fans, and would struggle to hide their joy once 'their' team had scored. Bar Strewards! I also got fed up of the non standard 3pm k/o on a Saturday. But probably the biggest turn off was the Premiership Play Acting and rolling around as though they were taken out by the grassy knoll assassin! I don't miss any of that shit, but I suppose I'll put up with it if it comes around again. But the best part of watching the Swans is the Saturday ritual. A few pints in Hoggarts pre-match, and meet up with fellow supporters in the Villiers afterwards. I must admit I'd miss that more than anything else. :)
    CadleighGingergitSVJack
  • have prime view from the halfway line in the East. Too good a seat to lose. so will renew before the end of the month.

Yes the football isn't the best we've seen. And no, I dont like or support the owners. 

But I am optimistic they will be gone sooner than later - just hope that Birch finds the right people to buy, and stays on.

And I also hope my patience with the manager and players is repaid. 

Not for the first time have I too much hope, time and money in following this club. 

But, while continuing, especially with the amount of travelling I have to do to get to games. It is my team. 
    Cadleigh
  • Jacktar said:
    I decided not to renew after the summer 2018 transfer window when Potter got utterly shafted, and nothing I have seen since on or off the pitch has convinced me to change my mind. 

Nope, didn't say that. 
  • gary

It is amazing because you have a different perspective, many wish to make up things you are supposed to have said.

I am apparently not a real supporter, and I need to practice what I preach. Not sure I have ever said I will stay away, so never preached that. I have said the owners are shafting the club, and I will be proved to be correct.

Anyway gary, I understand your position, and maybe if I did not enjoy the day so much, if not the football, I would also make that choice.
  • Andrew2 said:
    gary

It is amazing because you have a different perspective, many wish to make up things you are supposed to have said.
    Indeed Andrew.

It is also very telling the idiots who 'heart' or 'eye' these posts on a regular basis. 

They are literally 'hearting' nonsense. 

One thing I've learned about this forum over the years is that it is dominated by groupthink. Anyone who doesn't follow the crowd, anyone who asks the awkward questions, anyone who isn't prepared to turd polish at all times - look out. 

I used to enjoy @SpeakerJack's posts a few years back. Always spoke sense. Got driven away in the end by the forum mafia. Sad really. This used to be a decent forum until it got taken over by the bully boys. 
  • edited January 14
    gary,
    stop playing the martyr, what you call 'groupthink' others call opinion. Your posts on times are worth reading but when you descend to pond life replies is it any wonder there is a reaction.
    I would think there are very few posters on this site that are in favour of our owners yet because some demand accountability and not back of a fag packet mathematics and factual postings, they are criticised. 
    Just ask yourself one question. Unlike in the days of Encyclopedia Brittanica, Internet searches can reveal almost everything on anybody, yet a faceless keyboard warrior like yourself can criticise the career in football of people like Trevor Birch, question his hiring of employees without no comeback to yourself, let alone justify your background in football. Is it any wonder how sceptical some are of your comments.
    I have offered to meet you, Andrew, or anybody over a coffee to talk all things Swansea City and that offer still stands. We are all fans of the football club with slightly different perspectives yet you and Andrew are unwilling to come away from your keyboard and talk face to face. Why?
    Mark_Jack_Londonenaitch
  • I have never had a season ticket but I admire those who brave the elements (and at times the Swans and what can be served up) for their commitment to the cause. I appreciate Andrew’s and Gary’s posts as well as their anti-regime posts chime with my thoughts on the owners. The posts from other posters can, on many occasions, be insightful also. What I miss are the posters that have their ear to the ground about all things Swans. I may be mistaken but I seem to remember that there were more posters with insider knowledge on the previous guestbook.
  • Jacktar said:

Nope, didn't say that. 
    I assumed when you say Potter got shafted you meant he wasn't backed in the window, I'll rephrase.... you want our owners to be irresponsible, spend money we don't have, load us with debt so that Potter was backed?
    You want them to invest but are not prepared to pay to watch your team? our ticket money doesn't go across the pond and in fact and unless you are talking about embezzlement, all monies earned pays for this club to survive, balancing the books was never going to be easy or done overnight.
    enaitchcimlajack

• SeaJack said:
    I have never had a season ticket but I admire those who brave the elements (and at times the Swans and what can be served up) for their commitment to the cause. I appreciate Andrew’s and Gary’s posts as well as their anti-regime posts chime with my thoughts on the owners. The posts from other posters can, on many occasions, be insightful also. What I miss are the posters that have their ear to the ground about all things Swans. I may be mistaken but I seem to remember that there were more posters with insider knowledge on the previous guestbook.
    A fair post, I can be critical of our owners and I'm certainly not naive enough to think they are the best thing for our club but what I detest is a few posters always looking for a negative. If they don't want to buy a Season Ticket, fine, move on but the motive of the original poster is to try and persuade others that there's a flood of people not renewing. We was always going to lose some, to many, being in the PL is the be all and end all to supporting Swansea City, not me, we are a far bigger club now than in 2011.
    Anyway, lets look at some facts....
    Trevor Birch, gets a round in at Christmas, he's trying to appease the fans,
    Trevor Birch goes out to Pembroke, Port Talbot and Swansea to do forums answering honestly, the fans there didn't ask the right questions.
    The owners continue to keep the Away ticket price at £20, there must be an ulterior motive.
    They haven't invested a penny, whilst this is true, they haven't taken any money out (see Swiss Ramble).

Many want them out at all costs but I say, careful what you wish for, who knows who's next?
    Mark_Jack_LondonSeaJackenaitch
  • I'm  renewing  my season ticket , the 4 around me are 

I support the team regardless  who the owners are , who the manager is  and who plays for us , they are all passing through , 

I have witnessed  the best of times and the worst  of times ,
    I still have the love of the game , despite all the misgivings  we have , obscene  money involved , play acting by players , poor officials  , who seem to favour  the big teams , the racism  and disgusting behaviour  by some fans ,

What I have is the optimism  that success  is around the corner , having witnessed  the glory days of Tosh ,  Martinez,  Rodgers and Laudrup,

If Andrew 2 and Gary did soap opera's  like the Carling advert it would be " Eastenders "  depressing  and totally negative ,

Some of their posts can be insightful  but always have a negative  spin 
    moorlands
  • It is amazing, there idea of the post was to gauge opinion on who will renew and who will not. There was no "agenda" no trying to persuade anyone either way. I simply said if it was not for the day out, I would have to think about it.

Then, here we go, all the personal attacks on anyone who looks at the club more deeply maybe than others. So, myself and gary have a load of stick, and a few do not even offer an opinion if they will or will not renew, just want to give out abuse.

Just remember, all you giving abuse were Jenkins/Morgan and even Monk lovers. You had that very wrong.
  • Andrew2 said:
    It is amazing, there idea of the post was to gauge opinion on who will renew and who will not. There was no "agenda" no trying to persuade anyone either way. I simply said if it was not for the day out, I would have to think about it.

Then, here we go, all the personal attacks on anyone who looks at the club more deeply maybe than others. So, myself and gary have a load of stick, and a few do not even offer an opinion if they will or will not renew, just want to give out abuse.

Just remember, all you giving abuse were Jenkins/Morgan and even Monk lovers. You had that very wrong.
    Andrew2, sorry if you feel that way but what gets my goat is that you always look for a negative, I have read your posts for years and not once have you said 'well done, Swansea City'. We can all question the club, many do but to constantly pick holes in every thing just does my swede in especially with your patronising 'I told you so' attitude.
    Mark_Jack_Londonmoorlands
  • Jack tar
    I do not look for negatives, with regret they are clear and obvious. I was very happy last season when we saw the shoots of recovery with Potter, but we all knew it would end with him leaving.

We have a nasty habit of not backing good managers as we did with Roberto and Laudrup. Then along comes Potter, the best thing to happen to this club since Laudrup left, and what do we do ? Tell him a pack of lies, no backing at all, and instruct him we are selling everything that moves, despite the fact if we had kept him,with one or two additions, we could have done well in this very poor division.

Where are the positives ? I posted a few weeks ago, where are they  ? Tell me one thing that is better this season than last, and one thing that will be better next season than this ?

Academy will be gone, all and any money will be gone, any players who can kick a ball will be gone or so fed up with this looney we have masquerading as a manager, will want to go. He has already destroyed Celina/Grimes and Byers. Potter had Grimes playing well in many positions, the bloke can hardly pass a ball now.

Thats before we start on the "Love along with Birch" farce.

I could go on, and to make matters worse, the only way out may well be the return of Morgan...but that is for another discussion.

So Jacktar, it is not me being negative, it is the club is negative by showing no ambition. I simply say what I see. With regret, and it is regret, I have in the main be correct.

• Andrew2 said:
    Jack tar
    I do not look for negatives, with regret they are clear and obvious. I was very happy last season when we saw the shoots of recovery with Potter, but we all knew it would end with him leaving.

We have a nasty habit of not backing good managers as we did with Roberto and Laudrup. Then along comes Potter, the best thing to happen to this club since Laudrup left, and what do we do ? Tell him a pack of lies, no backing at all, and instruct him we are selling everything that moves, despite the fact if we had kept him,with one or two additions, we could have done well in this very poor division.

Where are the positives ? I posted a few weeks ago, where are they  ? Tell me one thing that is better this season than last, and one thing that will be better next season than this ?

Academy will be gone, all and any money will be gone, any players who can kick a ball will be gone or so fed up with this looney we have masquerading as a manager, will want to go. He has already destroyed Celina/Grimes and Byers. Potter had Grimes playing well in many positions, the bloke can hardly pass a ball now.

Thats before we start on the "Love along with Birch" farce.

I could go on, and to make matters worse, the only way out may well be the return of Morgan...but that is for another discussion.

So Jacktar, it is not me being negative, it is the club is negative by showing no ambition. I simply say what I see. With regret, and it is regret, I have in the main be correct.

So you think Potter was lied too? What gives you that impression? He would have known that a club of our size that falls out of the PL has to balance the books and players would have to be sold, I knew that, you knew that so why wouldn't Potter?
    Maybe we were a stepping stone, but the bottom line is the lure of the PL was too much, the opportunity might never come again.
    The Academy may have to be downsized but before you start claiming, 'I told you so' it's not rocket science, its just a fact that you have to cut your cloth accordingly.
    Mr Birch is a decent guy, working under difficult circumstances, he's said it as it is, its not comfortable listening but there we go. I suggest you go to a Forum and ask him any questions you may have, he will answer as openly as he can, not with standing confidentiality.
    Players often lose a bit of form and whilst I wish they were robots, they are not.
    There's nothing positive in any of your posts going back many years, you always look for the downside and when one of your negative claims comes to fruition, you claim a patronising result.

Mark_Jack_Londonmoorlands
  • edited January 14
    gary,
    stop playing the martyr, what you call 'groupthink' others call opinion. Your posts on times are worth reading but when you descend to pond life replies is it any wonder there is a reaction.
    I would think there are very few posters on this site that are in favour of our owners yet because some demand accountability and not back of a fag packet mathematics and factual postings, they are criticised. 
    Just ask yourself one question. Unlike in the days of Encyclopedia Brittanica, Internet searches can reveal almost everything on anybody, yet a faceless keyboard warrior like yourself can criticise the career in football of people like Trevor Birch, question his hiring of employees without no comeback to yourself, let alone justify your background in football. Is it any wonder how sceptical some are of your comments.
    I have offered to meet you, Andrew, or anybody over a coffee to talk all things Swansea City and that offer still stands. We are all fans of the football club with slightly different perspectives yet you and Andrew are unwilling to come away from your keyboard and talk face to face. Why?

I'm not playing the martyr at all Colin. 

I could give you any number of examples you want of how my posts are selectively targeted for a response by other posters on this forum. For the time being, I'll give you one example. After Sunday's game I was glowing in my praise for Ben Cabango who I thought was bloody brilliant. I could give you dozens and dozens of similar examples where I've posted positively, either about the club or individual players, this season alone. 

Like the Cabango post though, these posts are rarely, if ever, acknowledged, or agreed with, or liked, or "hearted" or whatever. I cannot emphasise enough - and you should know me well enough by now to know this - how much I don't give a shit either way. But it is a fact. And a very telling one as well. 

Contrast that with any post of mine where I moan/question the manager, or the infrastructure of the club, or a player's performance. To name just a few: you, MJL, Steve, Jacktar, Pablo (though to be fair, he does it to everybody) waste no time piling in, ready to tell me why my views (to use MJL's parlance yesterday) are "bollocks", and of course, why you're always right. Again, these are facts. You only have to go back through my posts, anyone can do it, it's there for all to see, usually with a 'laugh' or 'shocked' emoji on my original post for good measure. 

So you'll see, there is no martyrdom at play here. Just the groupthink, pack of hounds mentality I spoke about previously. 

Re Birch - you're wrong, and you can retract that. I was sceptical about him at first but I have been impressed with the work he has done, I have written several posts to that effect. I even - shock, horror! - took Andrew2 to task for criticising him only a few weeks ago, which, considering I'm meant to be his biggest cheerleader (another accusation regularly thrown at me) is another fact that the selective memory brigade, which includes yourself, have decided to overlook.

Finally, I have responded to you on more than one occasion about your offer of a mythical coffee, but I'll happily do so again. I would rather cut off my own testes with a rusty blunt scissors, then spend even 5 minutes in the company of an interminable know-it-all pub bore like you. That, besides I have a wife and two lovely kids who keep me more than occupied in what little spare time I have outside a full time job.

I hope that's cleared up a few things for you, and the rest of the circle-jerkers.
    Bob
  • Just like to say to Gary and Andrew, keep up the good work and keep the posts coming!!

like others, I stopped posting on here as the bore brigade would criticise everything you said. Haydn Eames was a complete wind up merchant but some of what he had to say was spot on or just thought provoking...miss his posts as well as Mr T’s amongst others. 

Anyway, I gave up my season ticket in the march before we got relegated after many seasons. Other than when I played rugby or football on a Saturday I’ve been a regular since the late 80’s. I have not been to the liberty since our relegation. I don’t even miss it!!!

so what’s happened?? I, like hoof hearted I think it was, got totally tired and p##### off of the Premier league and all it stood for. The Americans....it doesn’t feel like our club anymore, under Jenkins it felt like we were a big happy family...we were different to all other clubs. And then the managers, it went from bad to worse until we came to Clement...now he is the massive reason I started knitting classes on a Saturday. That football was dreadful, the guy was completely clueless and makes Cooper look a genius. And finally the players...I know all clubs have them but I couldn’t stomach the few gig earners coming into the club and constantly giving nothing on the pitch...we still have one or two there now. 

How i I long for the days where we couldn’t wait for the pre-season friendlies to come around to see what bargain basement gems Robbie had managed to unearth
  • The way I see it from the posts I read that the two polar opposites are Pablo who can be best described as a happy clapper with a touch of the thought police about him and Andrew2 who is the original (and still the best) resident doom monger. Everyone else falls somewhere in between and at times cross from one end of the spectrum to the other without ever usurping those two off their lofty perches. Me, I enjoy most of what is written and can understand and sympathise with many of the points of view put forward by the various posters. I wonder does that make me the pitiful Paul Whitehouse character in the Fast Show that agrees with every comment that his pub mates make despite those comments being opposed to each other?
    Mark_Jack_London
  • Gary ,tut tut, opinions and respect