Football betting site Betway

New Fencing

I've been meaning to ask about this for a couple of months and points made in the Academy thread have just reminded me:

Does anybody know why the club has erected the high heavy duty fencing behind the East Stand? I know the North Stand has some behind it, probably for segregation and crowd control reasons but there's nothing around the West - I'm not sure about the South.

Comments

• I first caught sight of it at the Wigan game when I went for a wander around the stadium a couple hours before the game started. No explanation that I can give unfortunately.
  • Careful now,some here don't like them spending money.Doesn't fit the theories apparently.
    deekaySeaJack
  • are you talking about the smokers' fencing? allowing people to spill out at halftime to partake in their cancer sticks or popcorn puffers.
  • It sounds like I do mean that Mark. So, if I've interpreted you correctly, we've erected the fencing to keep out random people who haven't got tickets wandering into the ground through the open doors at half time? If that is correct then that is absolute waste of money - that fencing  is very robust and will have cost a six figure sum.
  • yep. not sure if there are other reasons for it, but they def lock them just before half time, and open them again when they shut the doors for start of the 2nd half. 

it's been there for ages now. 

amazing how some cant go 90 minutes without a hit!

• These fences will also slow down the rapid egress of the area outside the stadium around the back of the East. 6 months ago you could have scrambled down the embankment on your backside in an emergency ( that would be quite fun actually ) but now you have to turn right or left and then get bottlenecked through either gate at the ends. I'm sure that this will have been taken into account in any permissions they needed to erect the fences and it's all probably OK, but it will surely have some effect if they have to quickly evacuate the East Stand via the exits rather then the pitch. I'll have a look at the next home game to see if there any other gates along the length of the fence that could be opened in an emergency.
    SeaJack
  • this is a football forum not a ground safety forum
    SeaJackMark_Jack_London
  • Daitumble said:
    this is a football forum not a ground safety forum
    I disagree, this is a Swansea City AFC related forum and I think the way the club spends its money and issues regarding our stadium are quite relevant for discussion here. It's clear from the discussion title as to what the topic relates to so people can easily disregard it if it's not "footbally" enough for them.

deekaygarythenotrashcougarMark_Jack_LondonSeaJackWyn
  • These fences will also slow down the rapid egress of the area outside the stadium around the back of the East. 6 months ago you could have scrambled down the embankment on your backside in an emergency ( that would be quite fun actually ) but now you have to turn right or left and then get bottlenecked through either gate at the ends. I'm sure that this will have been taken into account in any permissions they needed to erect the fences and it's all probably OK, but it will surely have some effect if they have to quickly evacuate the East Stand via the exits rather then the pitch. I'll have a look at the next home game to see if there any other gates along the length of the fence that could be opened in an emergency.
    I remembered to look at this yesterday - there are no additional gates along the length of the fence behind the East Stand, so my bottlenecking comment is quite valid. I also noticed that they've now erected similar fencing behind the South Stand - thereby making the situation even worse.
    Baffling expenditure.
  • Jeff,
    I noticed yesterday that new tarmac has been laid in front of the Main entrance
  • Jeff,
    I noticed yesterday that new tarmac has been laid in front of the Main entrance
    Yes Colin, somebody else mentioned that on another thread and I think that's what me made me start this one. I haven't noticed that myself but it's been a few months since I've been over there.
  • Not to let this lie, in the last match, I asked a couple of stewards about the purpose of the fencing and they had no idea..….!

But, but, but, my mate who sits next to me (thanks Roy!) said that he'd seen it stated somewhere on t'internet that it was all to do with securing the site for concerts. Apparently they have erected temporary fencing around the stadium, or bits of it anyway, in the past at such events. So this does make sense as it would give an outer perimeter where you could have ticket checks, space for the obligatory rows of portaloos and the merchandise stands.
    SeaJack