Football betting site Betway

The stark reality

Championship clubs, on average are loosing around £8-£10m per season and that's the likely scenario we will find ourselves in the season after next when the parachute payments end, we will have no choice but to make cuts to the Academy which no one wants but the stark reality is we are hurtling towards the edge of a cliff.
We want our American owners to fund these loses which could mean they want equity in return (better than loans IMO), would you accept that?
Think on next time you call them every name under the sun, they are the only game in town, there is no one else.

Comments

• According to the press in 2014 there wasn't one single Premier club or Championship club that didn't have net debts apart from Swansea.
    Since then a lot has changed but most have loans secured on assets, the grounds and players value.
    In 2017 Man Utd interest payment alone were 56M a year.
    In 2015 every single championship side had debts QPR was 179M
    So something has to change 
    SeaJack
  • Jacktar said:
    Championship clubs, on average are loosing around £8-£10m per season and that's the likely scenario we will find ourselves in the season after next when the parachute payments end, we will have no choice but to make cuts to the Academy which no one wants but the stark reality is we are hurtling towards the edge of a cliff.
    We want our American owners to fund these loses which could mean they want equity in return (better than loans IMO), would you accept that?
    Think on next time you call them every name under the sun, they are the only game in town, there is no one else.
    Very relevant facts, but completely the wrong conclusions to draw. The only way we can escape a drop down the leagues (with all the financial implications that entails) is by punching above our weight. The way to achieve that is by playing a sophisticated brand of football, having a top level academy and smart recruitment. We have shown the way in the past with the former (it's debatable whether we currently are), are currently exemplars of the value of a Cat 1 academy, and Brentford are the shining light in the Championship when it comes to recruitment. If you look at how they have thrived in spite of having the lowest income of any club in the Championship then there is no justification for the doom and gloom.

The price we have to pay to break even though is that we simply have to be a selling club, and look to make of the order of £10-15 million a year profit per season on transfer dealings to break even over all. In this light we should welcome the properly valued sale of Joe Rodon at the end of the season, painful though it will be to lose one of our own.
  • Wyn said:
    Jacktar said:
    Very relevant facts, but completely the wrong conclusions to draw. The only way we can escape a drop down the leagues (with all the financial implications that entails) is by punching above our weight. The way to achieve that is by playing a sophisticated brand of football, having a top level academy and smart recruitment. We have shown the way in the past with the former (it's debatable whether we currently are), are currently exemplars of the value of a Cat 1 academy, and Brentford are the shining light in the Championship when it comes to recruitment. If you look at how they have thrived in spite of having the lowest income of any club in the Championship then there is no justification for the doom and gloom.

The price we have to pay to break even though is that we simply have to be a selling club, and look to make of the order of £10-15 million a year profit per season on transfer dealings to break even over all. In this light we should welcome the properly valued sale of Joe Rodon at the end of the season, painful though it will be to lose one of our own.
    Brentford's owner ploughed in 90M in 2018 and their accounts showed in May 2019 that their net debt was 69M.
    The debt is being paid off in transfers, so if they don't produce more or don't get promoted they are in deeper shit.
    Probably the most successful and the lowest debt is PNE
  • Jacktar said:
    Jacktar -
    I don't want the Americans to put any money into our club. I don't want them to fund our losses - they should ensure, and I'm sure Birch will ensure, that we cut our cloth so that we don't incur any losses.
    I don't know why you think the collective "we" want the owners to fund our losses. I can't remember anybody suggesting that on here - does anybody out there really want the Americans to do this ?
    If they insist on doing it, then using the equity route rather than a loan could be seen as a potentially aggressive action vis a vis the potential court case. So if they do it , it could make the Trust's legal case even stronger.  Would I accept that? Yes I would.
    cimlajackColin_swanseaMark_Jack_London
  • Let’s all bury our heads in the sand, I heard Birch is about to make a statement? 
    We want yanks to prop us up but Trust don’t. so? Be ****** honest 
  • My optimistic view is a team full of u23 graduates who can more than hold their own in the Championship and play good football
    One big player sale £20m plus each summer to keep the finances straight and f*** the PL with its mountainous egos and mountainous debt with football clubs as the toys of oil sheikhs who expect all their money back
    Oh and Trust or community ownership too
    For the record and without counting last summer's 2 big sales we could line up with
    Benda
    Roberts -Rodon Cabango Naughton
    Grimes Byers Fulton/Celina
    Garrick McBurnie James
    Now I'd pay to watch that team
  • My optimistic view is a team full of u23 graduates who can more than hold their own in the Championship and play good football
    One big player sale £20m plus each summer to keep the finances straight and f*** the PL with its mountainous egos and mountainous debt with football clubs as the toys of oil sheikhs who expect all their money back
    For the record and without counting last summer's 2 big sales we could line up with
    Benda
    Garrick McBurnie James
    That's the way we have to go but we are playing in a stadium we can't afford to run, we have two training bases that we can't afford to run and a wage bill spiralling, my point is that everyone wants the Yanks out at all costs? who's going to pay for this year on year? there is no one waiting in the wings. I think its time we cut our owners a bit of slack.
    Benda
    Garrick McBurnie James
    Find a left back to replace Naughton (not that I don't like him, I do)from the U23's and every player will have had significant development from our youth system.

Can we field a bench (good enough for the Championship) at this moment in time from the U23's

maybe Dhanda, Asoro (if he come back), Cullen, Cooper, Rushesha, Jack Evans

I would also be very happy to add loans like Brewster, Gallagher, Guehi & Wilmot and then we are getting close to a fairly decent squad
  • I think the option on Asoro will be taken, as he seems to be playing every week now as their 9. 
  • I think the option on Asoro will be taken, as he seems to be playing every week now as their 9. 
    Do you know how well he is playing.
    J4cka
  • Jacktar said:
    My optimistic view is a team full of u23 graduates who can more than hold their own in the Championship and play good football
    Benda
    Garrick McBurnie James
    That's the way we have to go but we are playing in a stadium we can't afford to run, we have two training bases that we can't afford to run and a wage bill spiralling, my point is that everyone wants the Yanks out at all costs? who's going to pay for this year on year? there is no one waiting in the wings. I think its time we cut our owners a bit of slack.

Fair points Jacktar, but let's not forget, the owners could have easily got our house in order whilst still in the Premier League. 

Sure, they may be making better decisions now - helped by Birch - but that's only because it's been forced on them. 
  • Gingergit said:
    I think the option on Asoro will be taken, as he seems to be playing every week now as their 9. 
    Do you know how well he is playing.
    well he's scored a couple. Assisted a couple and has played 90 mins of the last 11 games.

77, 79, 89 and 45 mins of the 4 others in the 11 game period.

Before then he'd been benched for all bar 1 game where he played 3 mins.

So I reckon he must be playing ok!
  • Wyn said:
    Jacktar said:

And that's just to stand still, Wyn, to have a push needs all of the above plus a lot of luck, Jenkins rode his and even his luck run out in the end.
    In the ideal world, the owners would take on all the loses, I can see that happening but in return, we will either be in debt to them or they will want equity. If the Trust do not want to be diluted, they need to match the owners, ie, if they put £4m in, the Trust need to put £1m, if they put £8m in, the Trust need to gather £2m.
    Wyn