Football betting site Betway

Woodman

edited February 8 in Swansea City
Discuss ...

Winning goal was pretty close to him. Didn't move.

Shot leading to first goal was a long way out.

No panic as this season is over now methinks and Benda getting good reviews.

Comments

• i don't think he can be blamed for the first goal, but if anything the second was the worst. He seemed to dive over the ball - poor technique. With the third he was beaten by the combination of sheer pace and swerve, but he should have at least tried to stop it. 
  • I agree Barry never rated him no better than we have, a good prospect but never a championship keeper, at the moment I think it is about 9 goals that have come back off him. I hope the talk about buying him is not true. I hope Mulder gets a chance on Tuesday. But itis not all Woodmans fault we lack a decent midfielder to control things. I do not understand why Wimot is not playing he was looking good before he was dropped for this Chelsea guy ,do not rate either perhaps early days yet
  • Strange how first impressions can be wrong. Looking at the goals on Quest he should have done better for the first, couldn't really blame him for the second owing to a deflection, and there may have been a touch off Grimes for the third. We shouldn't judge him too harshly mind. Overall, he's done OK. But we shouldn't rule out Mulder as an option if Woodman's form doesn't improve.
  • Can't really fault Woodman for everything he's done so far this season but I for one, don't agree with shelling out for him on a perm. I'm a big fan of Benda, who's been awesome at Swindon and in truth think he should be number 1 next season while Woodman goes back to the Toon.
    deekay
  • He’s a good shot stopper I prefer my keepers to be a bit more physical and commanding.he seems to be well thought of amongst the media.
  • I think he could have stopped 2 of the 3 shots. Needs a break let Mulder have a run of 4 games and then assess again. I'm not sure we should buy him, rather see what Benda can do next season and then look at new additions.
  • In terms of Woodman, if money is too tight to mention then surely we go with Benda and use the little money we have in more needy areas
    Wyn
  • What are posters thoughts on Woodman’s strengths as a keeper?
  • Bit static, not a great leap on him so not that impressive with crosses as often looks flat footed
    OK on his line normally in the De Gea style but not yesterday
    Their first should have gone round for a corner didn't move for the 2nd was probably unsighted but didn't move for the third either as lost it in flight
    Don't think he has a future beyond Championship level and if I were Benda hearing that we want Woodman for next season too then I'd be looking around for a new club
    Benda for me should be next season's keeper
    I also blame Conor and our MF for giving Lawrence free pots at goal instead of forcing him onto his left - he is a one trick pony after all
    barrySeaJack
  • Conor didn't have a great game yesterday. Put in a good shift though, so can't really complain.

Hopefully we beat QPR (with one of the Bens back in defence) and kick off from there.
  • edited February 9
    Not commenting on either player's capabilities,but apart from playing for the U23 etc  has Benda played first team with us at all ,and  has he become so popular here as an improvement purely on reports from Swindon?
    If so, good luck to him,I hope it is justified,but it does seem a bit of a hopeful leap to me.
  • How can people say Benda is better than Woodman, when like me, I’ll bet they’ve never seen him play ?
    jasper_T
  • J4cka said:
    How can people say Benda is better than Woodman, when like me, I’ll bet they’ve never seen him play ?
    Having seen him play many times for the u23's I've been advocating his inclusion in the first team squad for over 12 months. I had also said pre season that if he was not to be included, then he needed to go out on loan otherwise he would stagnate in the 23's. He has now done what he needed to do on loan at Swindon ie get into the first team and get some senior football under his belt. The Swindon fans seem generally very happy with his performances and given that there are, apparently, a few teams sniffing around, he must be doing something right. 

So, is he better than Woodman ? Based on what I've seen from both keepers, he's definitely no worse and certainly not worth spending any money on Woodman with Benda returning next season. I'd be more than happy to have Benda here next year with Mulder as his back up on a new (and hopefully cheaper) contract. I still think Potter destroyed him last season after he started so well.
    barryMark_Jack_LondonColin_swanseaSVJackSeaJack
  • moorlands said:
    Not commenting on either player's capabilities,but apart from playing for the U23 etc  has Benda played first team with us at all ,and  has he become so popular here as an improvement purely on reports from Swindon?
    If so, good luck to him,I hope it is justified,but it does seem a bit of a hopeful leap to me.
    Benda played for the first team in a pre-season friendly this season in Portugal v Mansfield(won 2-1) Town and last season in a behind closed doors friendly at Cardiff City(won 2-0).

• Cheers Deekay and Colin for the updates and information.Good to know the background.
  • edited February 9
    Bit static, not a great leap on him so not that impressive with crosses as often looks flat footed
    OK on his line normally in the De Gea style but not yesterday
    Their first should have gone round for a corner didn't move for the 2nd was probably unsighted but didn't move for the third either as lost it in flight
    Don't think he has a future beyond Championship level and if I were Benda hearing that we want Woodman for next season too then I'd be looking around for a new club
    Benda for me should be next season's keeper
    I also blame Conor and our MF for giving Lawrence free pots at goal instead of forcing him onto his left - he is a one trick pony after all
    one trick pony...but a hell of a trick. Made one with it, and scored one with it 
  • Yup his trick is so good he's playing at Derby instead of Man U
    Hmm
  • Watching the goals back again - and my initial horror at Freddie's efforts to make saves only grows. of course there is a catalogue of errors leading up - so not everything is on the keeper. However just check out the goal highlights in the link below...
    The first should have been pushed wide of the goal - BUT difficult save so I will cut some slack
    The second - no jump by Guehi, Rodon heads a ball he could have kicked clear - BUT look how late Freddie reacts to a pretty tame shot.
    The third - tab through to the very end of these highlights and look at that angle of the shot. Yes it was struck well - BUT IMO Freddie had given up on it before Lawrence pulled the trigger.
    https://www.swanseacity.com/video/player/0_g5nvqj17

He is a young keeper and has been generally good for us - but Saturday was a very bad day for him.
  • was he unsighted? that's normally a sign of a keeper reacting late.
  • Huge gaps between players for first and third goal, suicidal for a renowned striker of the ball like Lawrence. I still think Guehi was readjusting his position prior to the second Derby goal, taking a step back while the Derby player(think it was Curtis Davies) was moving forward to the ball. Only one guy going to win that challenge.
  • Lawrence given too much time and space,as was Dhanda by their midfield.
  • Woodman couldn't do anything about the first goal- in fact I thought he did well to touch it onto the post before Waghorn tapped in the rebound while our defenders were extremely slow to react, but I felt he was poor on the other 2 particularly the 2nd goal where he appeared to just flap at the ball while on his knees !
    I likened it to a Bafetimbi Gomis goal celebration.
  • was he unsighted? that's normally a sign of a keeper reacting late.
    Good Evening Mark. Where I sit, at the south end of the West stand I had a perfect view of the 3rd goal. Lawrence appeared to have a free run at goal and had time and space to pick his spot. Woodman was definitely not unsighted, but he may have been caught wrong footed, or flat footed. The ball did move away from him in the air, but not a great deal. I'm sure he could have got his left hand to it. I didn't see the 2nd goal (on my way to the toilet), but thought he could have turned the first one around the post for a corner.
  • Gardo said:
    Woodman couldn't do anything about the first goal- in fact I thought he did well to touch it onto the post before Waghorn tapped in the rebound while our defenders were extremely slow to react, but I felt he was poor on the other 2 particularly the 2nd goal where he appeared to just flap at the ball while on his knees !
    our defenders weren't slow, Waghorn had already turned to follow up should the ball rebound.
  • Gardo said:
    Woodman couldn't do anything about the first goal- in fact I thought he did well to touch it onto the post before Waghorn tapped in the rebound while our defenders were extremely slow to react, but I felt he was poor on the other 2 particularly the 2nd goal where he appeared to just flap at the ball while on his knees !
    What the highlights and extended highlights don't show is the view from behind the goal for the second goal. The ball took a slight but decisive deflection, which Woodman didn't have time to react to. It looked bad from the other angle, but he actually wasn't to blame for that one. 
  • Do you mind me asking @Wyn how do you know the ball was deflected?
  • because on the highlights on Quest, the commentators said it had?
  • I will let this go eventually. BUT a couple of things to get off my chest.
    First I have peered and peered at that second Derby goal and cant see a deflection.
    Second on the third goal take a look at where freddie is standing - one yard off his goal line. If he was near the 6 yard box he would have narrowed all the angles for Lawrence's shot and it would likely have hit him in the chest. on to the QPR Game COYS!!!