Football betting site Betway

Gallagher

I posted before he had kicked a ball it would be interesting to see where Cooper plays him, and how he performs, as he was Charlton's stand out player until he came here. I thought it likely Copper would ruin him.

A few weeks later, he is playing like a headless chicken, looks unfit(though he can't be) What on earth is Cooper doing to all of them ?

I also posted in November I thought Woodman was going backwards, he now looks like Steve Potter (for those that remember him) he looks an accident waiting to happen every game, his confidence has gone completely.

Add in Celina, Grimes and as for Roberts, poor boy seems to have no idea of what he is supposed to be doing or where he should be doing it.

All you who were delighted to see us off load a pile of players, not replace them, say it was great business so Cooper can build a squad in the summer are as bonkers as the decision to appoint this clown in the first place,

Last night was as bad as anything we have seen since we left The Vetch, it was appalling, I called for him to leave in November, he is a clueless second rate coach masquerading as a football manager, GO NOW COOPER. Man up, see your faults and leave. Leave today.

Comments

• He doesn't look unfit he looks tired. Physically and mentally. Cooper is a classic British manager working players like dogs in training because hard work makes you better, innit. Grimes said as much on one of the BBC podcasts near the start of the season. Potter actually had a clue how to prepare players over a long and busy season.
    garythenotrashcougar
  • Unfortunately a few key players have gone backwards with this coaching/ manager regime.

If you look at who was short listed with Cooper you can see that lower division British managers were targeted . Rock and hard place....troubled times
  • There are three possible reasons Cooper got the job. 

He knew what Birch, Leon and Curt wanted to hear (reboot of the Swansea Way, blah blah), played them like a fiddle and pulled off the greatest con trick interview of all time. In my view, this is most likely.

Or, he presented himself as he actually is (an inexperienced youth coach with no discernible style of play or general idea) and Birch, Leon and Curt picked him because they don't really know what they're looking for and didn't see much difference between him and Potter. Most unlikely.

Or, he presented himself exactly as he is, and they were perfectly fine with that because he was probably the cheapest available candidate and they're only paying lip service in public to the 'reboot'. Again I'd like to think unlikely, but, if true, certainly the most disturbing.

Regardless - he needs to go. Pronto. 
  • We'll be lucky to make play offs. No shots on target,  no creativity,  not enough from the 5 star earners. Midfield lacking power. No striker back up. Questionable selection and not enough squad strengthening.  Familiar.
  • There are three possible reasons Cooper got the job. 

He knew what Birch, Leon and Curt wanted to hear (reboot of the Swansea Way, blah blah), played them like a fiddle and pulled off the greatest con trick interview of all time. In my view, this is most likely.

Or, he presented himself as he actually is (an inexperienced youth coach with no discernible style of play or general idea) and Birch, Leon and Curt picked him because they don't really know what they're looking for and didn't see much difference between him and Potter. Most unlikely.

Or, he presented himself exactly as he is, and they were perfectly fine with that because he was probably the cheapest available candidate and they're only paying lip service in public to the 'reboot'. Again I'd like to think unlikely, but, if true, certainly the most disturbing.

Regardless - he needs to go. Pronto. 
    I take your point but if the club listened to fans at the first sign of trouble, then no manager would stand a chance, I would certainly give Cooper until the end of the season but like Huw Jenkins usually did, I'd make sure we had a succession plan, just incase, if things don't change, I'd look at who's next in the summer.
    We are still only 3 points off a play off place and all things being equal, we still might have a run?

The three inexperienced men picking a manager could always ask the previous chairman for advice?
  • Gary

I think that C is most likely, I do not think it mattered what he said, they had a very low budget to work to, he wanted the job as you need to start somewhere, the rest is history. Cheapest option.

He is not arrogant like Monk, just seems to have no idea what he is doing or any grasp on reality of what is before him.

As we pretend to be skint, they will not shift him any time soon, he will be perfect next season with the Under 23 squad we will have. Their parents should find other clubs for them now, before Cooper gets hold them.

I honestly feel sorry for Gallagher, he is a very good player, and proven he is a good player, what Cooper has filled his head with god knows. Celina must be wondering what on earth he is doing here, along with a number of others.

• Celina don’t make me laugh he was as bad as I’ve seen.didnt want to know.a few step overs didn’t want to take his man on and make things happen around the box was a non entit!and that’s got nothing to do with the manager.
    moorlands
  • We'll be lucky to make play offs. No shots on target,  no creativity,  not enough from the 5 star earners. Midfield lacking power. No striker back up. Questionable selection and not enough squad strengthening.  Familiar.
    It wouldn't be lucky, we'd need a massive turnaround in performances. 31 points in our last 26 games. Not beaten a top half side since Cardiff. We don't look anywhere near good enough to finish in the top 6, despite being still within touching distance. 
    moorlandsNatterjack
  • You have to feel sorry for Brewster as well. Wtf must he be thinking now?

A possible future Liverpool centre forward,
    and he didn’t have one ball to run on to last night, he’s at best, living off scraps. 

SC needs to give his August manager of the month award to graham Potter, because the players still had his coaching skills in them. 

Cooper’s lack of coaching, tactics, man management skills, are now affecting previously good footballers, who are now going backwards, at an alarming rate. 

One thing that is concerning, is Leon and Curt, and Birch for that matter, still think he’s the man to take us forwards. 

I wonder How many of us watching this s**t, week in, week out, have the same views?

Personally, I’ve had enough, and think it’s Time to give Clueless Cooper his P45
     (do they still have them?)
    Natterjack
  • Returning to the thread - Gallagher needs a mid season break to freshen him up. He needs to reduce his training workload and sit out the next 3 games. Even send him home to his family. 
    If we continue to flog this young man his confidence will disappear and he will start to pick up physical injuries. Give Dhanda a run of starts in his place - he is our player, looks by far the most creative player we have and deserves a chance to prove himself.
    Also give Ayew a rest as well - just so he stops boiling my p!ss..:scream:
  • Oh and while we are on the subject of Cooper related injuries - I still believe that Rodon missing half a season was avoidable with better management - and ditto VdH.

Cooper has the potential to be a serial offender!
  • Brownie
    Celina is one of the few cultured footballers we have. Last season, he was brilliant, as well as numerous other players that Cooper has now "left his studs on"

I guess you are are Tommy Smith than Callaghan then ? Maybe one of those that screams "kick it up" every time we have the ball in our own half ?

Celina is a fine player, as would be Gallagher at Brentford maybe or WBA, here, Cooper is sucking the life out of them, along with any life the supporters have left in them.

Jackareme
  • Andrew2 said:
    Brownie
    Celina is one of the few cultured footballers we have. Last season, he was brilliant, as well as numerous other players that Cooper has now "left his studs on"

I guess you are are Tommy Smith than Callaghan then ? Maybe one of those that screams "kick it up" every time we have the ball in our own half ?

Celina is a fine player, as would be Gallagher at Brentford maybe or WBA, here, Cooper is sucking the life out of them, along with any life the supporters have left in them.

There's an unnecessary dig at Brownie in there Andrew but I agree with the rest of it and your studs metaphor is wonderful …... unfortunately.
  • Not a popular view probably, but I have always found the Celina love-in baffling. 

Yes, he is clearly talented, but he is - and we're talking nearly two seasons now - very flaky. He will do something good one game, then be non existent the next.

There's a reason why he's with us, and no longer at Man City or even a lower ranked PL club. It's because of the way he is.

That he is regarded by many as one of our better players despite this, says more about how far we have fallen than it says for him. 
    SeaJack
  • gary,
    irrespective of his current form, potentially, Celina is one of our better players but this season it's more about his twin brother playing than what we can remember of him last season. Having said that he is not the only one from last season's squad that are blowing hot and cold and need to have a good look at themselves. 
  • He wasn't one of our best players last season either. No meaningful difference between him and Barrie McKay, but only one is "obviously one of the most talented players we've ever had" in the eyes of many of our fans.
  • gary,
    irrespective of his current form, potentially, Celina is one of our better players but this season it's more about his twin brother playing than what we can remember of him last season. Having said that he is not the only one from last season's squad that are blowing hot and cold and need to have a good look at themselves. 
    Agreed on that last bit, the list is endless. 

There is a strong argument that without a decent coach in charge this season what we are seeing, across the board, is a reversion to the mean. 
  • edited February 12
    I thought that Celina was ineffective last night and gave Rangel fewer problems than he should have,'slightly anonymous ' comes to mind .
     However I fail to see how  player's poor displays can always be laid at the manager's door, there is surely a personal responsibility carried by each player for his own performance.Even in these strange times of artificial intelligence I can't see that an individual's poor passes ,not pressing or tracking back.lack of interest etc.etc can be in some way be attributed to the coach,and these are general points and not specific to Celina last night.

Tactics and strategy, playing players in the right position,substitutions, team spirit ,confidence etc-- these  are obviously at the manager's door when they are lacking in games.
  • Sadly, my patience has been exhausted, not only by so many insipid performances from some of our players who quite happily soaked up the plaudits last season, but also our head coach who is attempting to reinvent the wheel with his approach to the game.

For me, this season has always been about continuing to make progress, irrespective of the financial limitations, not so much in getting back to a passing game but in a brand of football that entertains the fans. The arrival of the close season is now giving me a great cause for concern not so much for the amount of players that need to be recruited
     but what goes on in front of the fans on matchdays.
    JackaremeNatterjack
  • Andrew I finished playing last season aged 45 and Anyone who knows me knows I’m more of a Celina player than a tommy smith.hes a player I love to watch but sorry last night I felt he gave a gutless performance.gallagher I just felt had a bad day at the office.iff ther wer scouts watching Celina and rodon last night they wouldn’t be impressed and that has nothing To do with the manager.
  • On balance Colin I have to agree with everything you say here.
    When concerns were expressed in the Autumn about tactics and  performances etc,I  said that it was much too early to panic, and that time should be given for things to bed-in,certainly until the second half of the season. 
    We are now there and the signs are getting worse not better.
    Natterjack
  • moorlands said:
    On balance Colin I have to agree with everything you say here.
    When concerns were expressed in the Autumn about tactics and  performances etc,I  said that it was much too early to panic, and that time should be given for things to bed-in,certainly until the second half of the season. 
    We are now there and the signs are getting worse not better.

Two games stick in my mind:

Preston at home in August - we won 3-2 but we should have been 3-0 down half time. The alarm bells started ringing with me then.

Brentford at home, October: words still fail me, even now. 

Even then you could see that there were big problems.
    SeaJack
  • How the feck did he win the U17’s World Cup ?
  • Subbuteo wasn’t it j4cka ............... 
  • J4cka said:
    How the feck did he win the U17’s World Cup ?
    Q - How long does a World Cup last?
    A - About a month

He had a stormer of a month in August and clearly a stormer of a month when he won the U17's World Cup.
    jasper_TgarythenotrashcougarSeaJack
  • Colin that’s a good post, we’re suffering from the curse of the mythical “Swansea Way”.

Our fans are as bad as the lazy media who still proclaim us to be a passing team.

For as long as we chase the next Martínez or Rodgers we will continue to make the wrong appointments, we have to accept that those kind of managers come along once in a generation, we were lucky to get two in close succession.

Too many good managers have been written off by many on here, deemed unsuitable due to their footballing philosophy, instead we appoint one failure after another in the pursuit of eternal youth.

Entertaining football comes in many guises,I enjoyed the football we played when the likes of Waddle, Toshack and Latchford led the line, I doubt the football played during those eras would be described as “ pure “ football by some of the football snobs who inhabit this forum.

For me the “ Swansea Way” has been about decades of typically British football sprinkled with the odd seasons of magic, some of our fans need to get their heads out of their arses, we may play in white but that’s where the similarity with Real Madrid ends.
  • jasper_T said:
    He wasn't one of our best players last season either. No meaningful difference between him and Barrie McKay, but only one is "obviously one of the most talented players we've ever had" in the eyes of many of our fans.
    @jasper_T ;

You can't seriously believe that there is no meaningful difference between Celina and McKay!!

McKay is not fit to lace Celina's boots both talent wise and attitude wise
    Pablo
  • jasper_T said:
    He wasn't one of our best players last season either. No meaningful difference between him and Barrie McKay, but only one is "obviously one of the most talented players we've ever had" in the eyes of many of our fans.
    @jasper_T ;

You can't seriously believe that there is no meaningful difference between Celina and McKay!!

McKay is not fit to lace Celina's boots both talent wise and attitude wise
    Last season Celina had 5 goals and 6 assists in 2960 minutes. McKay 2 goals 5 assists in 1400 minutes. They're both shithouses in a tackle and spend long periods of games nowhere near the ball. Both capable of brilliant bits of individual skill and also giving it away accomplishing nothing. Both do awful impressions of a winger and would prefer to be central.

Think Celina gets more leeway with our fans because he looks like he's running hard when he tries to sprint (despite not being very fast), came from a Big Club, and who doesn't love stepovers? McKay on the other hand looks very casual when he runs (Ozil-like) so when he doesn't play well, which is most of the time, he draws more ire. He's not even trying, is he?

Celina probably does have a better footballing attitude but it only really comes out when he feels he has a point to prove (the City game). But in terms of talent he's no Trundle, as has been proven.
  • Jacktar said:
    3 points of a play off spot
    So?