Football betting site Betway

The Swansea Way

The Swansea Way is a phrase that is banded about (quite a lot recently), but what does it mean?

I am interest to know what people think is "The Swansea Way"

Comments

• Interesting question Chris - and if I may I want to add a related question. What is most important to people STYLE OR SUBSTANCE?
    I ask the question because of the growing chatter about Cooper and his management. Actually we are probably near where we expected to be (if we are honest) at the start of the year - so statistically he is ok. He has also made us the joint best defenders of set pieces - so results wise it is not all doom and gloom.
    I believe, and this is where I come from, that it is an entertainment industry and entertainment means something different to the jack army than what it does in Cardiff, for example.
    This is why Cooper is starting to lose the crowd - NOT the results (at least not totally). If we were playing fast attacking creative football and bringing through rafts of young players at the same time Cooper would get the same level of support as Potter had on similar results.
     The game and atmosphere on the Sky coverage of the QPR game tells me the entertainment value is non existent and that the crowds will continue to dwindle away - leaving us in an even worse position financially.

So back to the original question - and what we are lacking - I believe the "Swansea way" is an approach where you control the game through possession - moving the opposition around the pitch and defending (resting) with the ball. The opposition cannot score when we have it, and chasing the ball is twice as tiring as playing with it.
    The ball should be played to feet with players constantly moving and reducing the number of collisions/tackles with the opposition (who are typically bigger and stronger). Technical ability, speed and accuracy of passing should be the most sought after qualities in our players.
    To allow the space to play, and avoid teams closing us down and dominating physically, we need to make the pitch as big as possible. This means (obviously) having two wide men who have whitewash on their boots and the ability to link with overlapping fullbacks. It also means playing out from the keeper to draw the opposition forwards, and making runs behind the back 4 (with pace) to ensure that the opposition cannot defend with a high line.
    Once the pitch is stretched long and wide we should be able to control the game and create opportunities to win through our greater technical ability and speed of movement.

Since the day Potter walked out of the door I am afraid to say that all of the above has gone backwards.
    Chris_SharmanSeaJack
  • For me the "Swansea Way" (though I agree the phrase itself is a bit pretentious) is just doing things differently to most other clubs on and off the pitch. 

It was, at its best, buying low and selling high in the transfer market, whilst playing attractive, attack minded, short passing football on the field. 

I still believe in it, I still believe it can be brought back, but it requires the right coach with the right credentials. Something I'm sad to say we don't have right now.  
    SVJack
  • Very pretentious, its as if we are elite and the only ones that can play that way, personally, I think we did steal a march on other teams and that's how we managed to punch above our weight for so long. At times, we managed to out Arsenal, Arsenal which under Wenger was one hell of an achievement, however, once players aged or moved on it was hard to find the exact player to fit into the hole left and over time it eroded.
    I'm sure fans of other clubs call their philosophy the Watford way, the Southampton way, the Burnley way and so on but for 4 or 5 seasons, every club looked at the Swansea way and not just the light and middleweights.
    Difficult to accept but without Huw Jenkins, there would never have been a Swansea Way, he took a gamble on promoting managers others overlooked.
  • as gary has posted, the Swansea Way's goalposts have moved to the style of play over a couple of seasons rather than the club working to whatever budget it had. From Jackett on, Sousa, Roberto and Brendan continued to work within the club's finances,  
    players were bought as keenly priced as possible and players sold on at top dollar while on the field Roberto and Brendan revolutionised the style of play. The following link refers to Ryan Bennett signing for Leicester on loan last month while for those that can remember, Ryan Bennett was just one example of where Jenkins attempted to sign a player for less than the market price Peterborough were looking for. Centre back Roger Johnson was an earlier example during the Kenny Jackett era when he signed for Cardiff for a fee that Wycombe were holding out for which we wouldn't pay.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/02/12/do-rodgers-admits-he-tried-to-sign-leicester-player-in-2012-for/

Laudrup continued with a brand of entertaining football not to similar to the way Roberto and Brendan preached, but after he had been sacked the house of cards slowly began to collapse, on the field, and in the manner financial recruitment was carried out. The refusal to buy Joey before Euro 16 and failing to agree a budget for the return of Brendan were both in line with the Swansea Way of working.

• In my mind we have all of the players we need to play the Swansea way and be competitive in the championship. Our manager is simply choosing not to do so. His prerogative - BUT he is playing a dangerous game in that unattractive losing football will quickly lose you any good will from the stands.
    deekay
  • edited February 13
    From my perspective the Swansea Way is nothing new and predates the last decade in a big way.

If you will forgive this old fart again for going back in time.For me Swansea as a club has always been regarded as a footballing club which will play skilful and attractive football whenever it can.

Way back to my schooldays in the time of the Allchurches,Medwin,Jones,Charles and later years with Herbie Williams,Eddie Thomas,Reg Davies,Robbie James,Alan Curtis,Jeremy Charles,Bob Latchford and the other Toshack signings,plus many other squads in between, the Club has always played football, as opposed to long ball or kick and rush .To my mind you always knew what to expect when Gillingham or Milwall or Oldham and the like came down to play us ,but that was never the Swansea way.

There have been obviously periods of survival in the lower leagues when more percentage football came to the fore,but in my mind the overall 'good football' reputation of the club has held firm and the rest of the League recognise it.It's just that recently Sky and the other TV coverage has meant that a wider audience has been seeing it,and the the Fairy Tale nature of the rise to the PL  gave the pundits a great story to tell and thay hung the label on the club .

Undoubtedly Roberto and Brendan brought the tactics and method of playing bang up to date but to me it was really just modernisation of the longstanding ethos of Swansea Town/City.

Long may it continue.
    JackaremeStephenRChris_SharmanPabloSeaJackColin_swansea
  • as gary has posted, the Swansea Way's goalposts have moved to the style of play over a couple of seasons rather than the club working to whatever budget it had. From Jackett on, Sousa, Roberto and Brendan continued to work within the club's finances,  
    players were bought as keenly priced as possible and players sold on at top dollar while on the field Roberto and Brendan revolutionised the style of play. The following link refers to Ryan Bennett signing for Leicester on loan last month while for those that can remember, Ryan Bennett was just one example of where Jenkins attempted to sign a player for less than the market price Peterborough were looking for. Centre back Roger Johnson was an earlier example during the Kenny Jackett era when he signed for Cardiff for a fee that Wycombe were holding out for which we wouldn't pay.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/02/12/do-rodgers-admits-he-tried-to-sign-leicester-player-in-2012-for/

Laudrup continued with a brand of entertaining football not to similar to the way Roberto and Brendan preached, but after he had been sacked the house of cards slowly began to collapse, on the field, and in the manner financial recruitment was carried out. The refusal to buy Joey before Euro 16 and failing to agree a budget for the return of Brendan were both in line with the Swansea Way of working.

Here's something I heard on Brendan and the reason he never came back, he wanted £4m a year which is what he was on at Liverpool (at the time), that would have been at the very top end of what Swansea would pay but Brendan had proven his worth and it was decided to pay it, where it fell down was that Brendan wanted a 3 year contract and wouldn't accept anything less than £12m even if when he came back it didn't work out and we had to get rid of him after 6 months. He priced himself out of the job and went to Celtic for much less.
  • Swansea way is a combination of Roberto  Brendan  Laudrup and Potter, Flynn
    Managers NOT playing the Swansea way are Guidolin Carvahal Sousa Jackett Bradley Cooper Clement
    The second group are football pragmatists doing what they think works
    I see a lot of similarity between Cooper and Clement
    garythenotrashcougar
  • Swansea way is a combination of Roberto  Brendan  Laudrup and Potter, Flynn
    Managers NOT playing the Swansea way are Guidolin Carvahal Sousa Jackett Bradley Cooper Clement
    The second group are football pragmatists doing what they think works
    I see a lot of similarity between Cooper and Clement
    When did Bradley Cooper manage us? Was it after he done American Sniper ?
    MalcPablo
  • For me the "Swansea Way" (though I agree the phrase itself is a bit pretentious) is just doing things differently to most other clubs on and off the pitch. 

It was, at its best, buying low and selling high in the transfer market, whilst playing attractive, attack minded, short passing football on the field. 

I still believe in it, I still believe it can be brought back, but it requires the right coach with the right credentials. Something I'm sad to say we don't have right now.  
    your right about the coach and we struck gold with Martinez and Rodgers but where /who is the next one?

I think they gambled that Steve Cooper could be the next one (time will tell I suppose)!!
  • I suppose this 'Swansea Way' which is a approximate label, to me is the ''Swansalona' that Roberto brought to the club. Based around possession football, short one touch football built from front to back. I remember it being a revelation in League 1, completely unheard of and every pundit, ex-player, ex manager, football journalist, said it couldn't work in the lower leagues. This is exactly why I don't trust pundits, ever. 
    We had an outstanding player in Ferrie Bodde who was light years better than any player in League 1 and that helped the whole click. An emerging Leon, Joe and Ash Williams all typified and helped it along. It was a blueprint for the next decade. mind you Moorlands has a good point, the Swans were always synonymous with good football.

It is something that can't stay static as teams began to work us out. I remember Southampton being a team who were relegated from the PL and we met them in the Championship. Their manager at the time....Poortvliet? said he'd like to base the restructuring of the team and play a possession based game  and said it was from watching the Swans. Quite a compliment and they went down to League 1 in 2008, only to rise on that philosophy to where they've remained.
    HJ had a big influence. When Roberto and Sousa were poached he'd said publicly that we'd be looking always for managers who fit the profile of the football philosophy and not managers who had free reign to do what they wanted . This was quite an original move and why it's a shame that HJ is now vilified. [with some good reason it has to be said]. So that idea of continuity is now being resurrected because in our desperate attempts to avoid relegation the whole template got lost in our last 2 seasons in the PL. Mostly through panic sackings and wrong managerial appointments.
    Last season was the return to that idea, albeit with young hungry players and Steve Cooper is following on that which is why of course it was curt and Leon who were given the job to find the right person to replace Potter. 

My opinion is that we're on the right track...form isn't great but there is an attempt to still play that basic possession game built from the back. We lost Dan James and Jordan Garrick hasn't quite made the impact yet....so we're not wing based these days though I think there will be an effort to bring pace back into the team, it's just we don't have the players at the moment or players bought didn't work out [McKay, Peterson, Kalulu ] 
    We're a team in transition and I think we will have a strong finish....but it's not based on science but more a gut feeling. We're never overun except in the cup by QPR....and even in that game we were on the comeback and suddenly they scored 3 screamers. So I'm optimistic....not the popular opinion but one I'm sticking with.