Football betting site Betway

Match Discussion: Swans v West Bromwich Albion - Championship 2019/20

edited March 9 in Swansea City
This is the place to discuss all things related to the Swans v West Bromwich Albion Championship game on Saturday, 7 March 2020 at 3:00pm.

Referee Robert Jones will be assisted by Nick Greenhalgh and James Mainwaring, with Lee Swabey the 4th Official for the game.

Have a read of the Swansea City v West Bromwich Albion Head to Head Statistics since the first meeting in South Wales in 1952.

Share your pre and post match thoughts, views on Steve Cooper's pre or post match comments, team selection and don't forget to submit your score prediction for our Swansea City Prediction League.

Comments

• With the WBA game coming up on Saturday, Does anyone know why Swans matches aren’t rescheduled, or kick off times changed, like it used to be, when Wales are playing in the six nations championship?
  • Robert Jones one of the better refs ,did well when in charge versus Cardiff at home,hope I haven't jinxed it
  • Well judging by last time I saw WBA on the box Jake Livermore their enforcer is playing it to the limit of a ref's patience
    Maybe he'll get himself sent off he's so motivated
  • This is an opportunity to make up for the appalling result at their place at the back end of last year. My fear is they may well do the same again but I’m crossing everything including the road to give out a bit of positivity. Whether it works remains to be seen but I’m hoping against all the odds to tick this fixture off as a win. COYS.
  • the game that defines our season. I've kept the faith, and believe in the team and backroom staff, whatever the result.
    Win this with aplomb though, and ALL moaning and carping will subside, I guarantee it. So I'm hoping for a win we're more than capable of, and to take revenge for our drubbing up there
  • I'm hoping too Pablo but my instincts tell me not to hold my breath.
  • Pablo said:
    the game that defines our season. I've kept the faith, and believe in the team and backroom staff, whatever the result.
    Win this with aplomb though, and ALL moaning and carping will subside, I guarantee it. So I'm hoping for a win we're more than capable of, and to take revenge for our drubbing up there

Pablo,

As ever your enthusiasm and positive thinking is a lesson to us all in many ways, but can I be the first one to stick my hand in the air and say that even a handsome win tomorrow will go nowhere near convincing me.

To win me around, I'd want to see at least half a dozen convincing performances in a row - to be honest, I wouldn't really care if they were a mix of wins, draws and even a couple of defeats, as long as there was compelling evidence that we were getting the ball down, passing it for fun, running rings round the opposition and just generally looking more like a Swansea City team of the last 10/12 years should. 

Just a personal view - other opinions are of course available!  :grin:
  • As pointed out on here by others..much as we can disagree about the aesthetics of our performances and the relative level of luck in refereeing decisions etc. the facts are there for us all to see, and the most pertinent one is that we have not beaten a team from the top half of the division (barring the scummers) for about 5 months.
    I am afraid i am (on balance) with @garythenotrashcougar on this one.
  • What a big test today for our boys  , leading scorers only lost 5 league  games all season ,

Will certainly  test out our defence in open play and particularly  from corners and free kicks 

Best form of defence  is attack , play on the front foot and give them problems  , maybe a couple of old heads on the bench to come on for the last 15 mins to manage  the game out 

Should be a good crowd and plenty of boing boing baggies there 
  • 1 change 

Kalulu in for Garrick
  • Not sure how your French is - but check this stream - it might work swansea-vs-west-bromwich-live-stream-5159119.html   Bonne chance COYS!!

• WBA look a very good side. Neat in possession.

Do well to get something from this.
  • According to Ian Walsh on Radio Wales very little passing play from Swans after 40 mins.Not typical Swansea.
  • HT 0-0

Although WBA have the most possession (68%) chances created pretty even. Both sides defending well.
  • Unfortunately @moorlands it has become typical Swansea.
    This is an easy game on the eye - but WBA around 70% possession. Swans doing ok and causing problems when we attack - again Naughton Rodon and Cabango excellent so far.
    garetharogersGingergit
  • Jackareme said:
    Not sure how your French is - but check this stream - it might work swansea-vs-west-bromwich-live-stream-5159119.html   Bonne chance COYS!!

We sound great in French!!
    Jackareme
  • err I heard 16,700 @konnar - with a big bunch of baggies.
  • The biggest mystery is how we are still within 4 points of the play offs!!! There have been 15-20 point completely pissed up the wall this year - amazingly still time. We look ok in parts (although the Swansea way is a distant memory) just need to find a way to get over the line in tight games.
  • ATT: 16,788................
  • Does anyone know why we only had six on the bench ? I heard no reason given for the shortage.
  • Those 3 consecutive 95th minute goals in 3 away games is really eating at me. Those extra 5 points and we'd be in a good place
  • Thanks Colin, didn't see that until now.
  • played well in patches. 

made many wrong choices, especially first half, in the final third.

Defensively looked good in our final third. Certainly found a centreback partnership, if we can keep hold of Rodon past the summer.

dont recall Fred having to make many, if any saves. 1? 

the chances they had were either long range blasts over the bar, or a couple of 6 yard speculative crosses, which saw their players sliding in, more in hope that design.

meanwhile, while we were very wasteful in the final third first half, we created 3 good chances, 3 of which Fulton blazed over with time, and the goal at his mercy.

West Brom were not the same team (apart from the diving) as the one that took us apart in December. Or at least, we didnt let them be that team. 

bonkers though, that we can drop down the league, and yet be closer to the top 6! WTF is that all about?

• I thought Bidwell had one of his best games for us, Naughton was good and the 2 welsh CBs were excellent together. We need to keep this back 4 now as our 1st choice with Connor to come in if needed.

We had the best chances and with more calmness in front of goal, could have won it.

This should give us a shot of confidence for the last push. Play offs are still a possibility despite all those last minute goals. 
  • I have to say what a valiant effort from the team to hold the 5-1 winners at their place to a draw at ours. Lots of encouraging play albeit not the Swansea Way we were used to back in the mists of footballing history. The Rodon/Cabango partnership is an excellent one so they should stay put at the back, please Mr. Cooper.
  • Pretty good performance yesterday, fair play, especially the second half when we could/should have scored.
    Back 4 very good with Bidwell getting forward well with some really good crosses.
    Grimes, too, was very good I thought.
    I was impressed by West Brom's passing in midfield but also Bilic's presence on the touch line and his ambition to win the match by making changes in the second half.
  • the big thing for me yesterday, first half especially, was West Brom always had a spare man in midfield to pass the ball to. normally their Rodriguez look-a-like, Krovinovic.

not entirely sure who should have been covering him - either Fulton was too deep, or Gallagher too far forward.

Despite this, the defensive tactics worked, because they rarely cut through us, and Freddie has a quiet afternoon, only making one save of note.

More longer balls forward than normal, too. Not all aimless boots up the pithc - although there were some. Am wondering if this was done from analysis of how Wigan beat West Brom. 

What annoyed me was the high balls played up to the smallest man on the pitch. Aldo had fcuk chance of winning any of those.

One stand out for me was Brewster's workrate, willingness to tackle and track back, and his aggression against much bigger opponents. On more than one occasion he went shoulder to shoulder with Ajayi, who must have wondered who is this skinny fecker. but he did hassle him into more than one mistake.