Football betting site Betway

My first Swansea City game was...

edited May 18 in Swansea City
Given that there isn't much Swans stuff to discuss at the moment, I thought it would be good to start a thread to hear about what memories you have of your first ever Swansea City game  :)

The first game I ever saw was at the Vetch Field on a cold Tuesday evening in October 1980, when the Swans played Oldham Athletic in the old Second Division.

Aged 9, I sat in the lofty heights of the old double decker stand with my Dad and watched the Swans comfortably win 3-0.  

I remember my excitement as the goals seemed to fly in on a regular basis, accompanied by a roar (from what I came to learn in later years was the North Bank) and the stamping of feet in the Double Decker.  Only now it crosses my mind as to what it must have been like standing on the terrace below at the time!!  A head covered with dust, wood slinters and cobwebs I guess.

My Dad tried his best to explain who the Swans players were and who scored the goals, but I was so enthralled by all the activity going on around me under the big floodlights that I took little notice of what he was actually saying.

I vauguely recall some memores of the night as a whole, such as Alan Waddle scoring one of the goals (David Giles got the other two it turns out) and the relatively small number of away fans (30 odd?) in the fenced enclosure alongside the Centre Stand.

One thing was for certain however, I loved every minute and the talk on the way home in our old Vauxhall Viva was when could my Dad take me again.  My Mam's face was beaming when I told her all about my night at the Vetch Field, probably because she could see that I was destined to follow in the footsteps of my Dad and her Dad in supporting the Swans.

The Swans team that night was:

Dave Stewart, Brian Attley, Džemal Hadžiabdić, John Mahoney, Nigel Stevenson, Leighton Phillips, David Giles, Alan Waddle, Leighton James, Jeremy Charles and Neil Robinson.

And here is the treasured programme from my first ever Swans game, which takes pride of place in my collection.

Jeff_Cowbridge

Comments

• A year, maybe two before yours, my Dad cajoled me to a 2-2 with Walsall and then got nagged to death to take me to a 2-1 with Chesterfield. Think Waddle and Toshack scored in both. Spent the Summer counting the minutes and thinking Tosh would get off the bench and score in every game.

i worshipped David Giles. I wanted to be him. His punditry hurts me now. :)
  • 3rd September 64 a two one home victory v Derby...………..as a 7 year old sat in upper deck of Double Decker with my dad and young brother on his 5th birthday...…….memories

• Vague recollections. It was at the Vetch against QPR, and I remember the 2 “stars” Rodney Marsh and Stan Bowles playing. 

Its always bugged me, but does anyone know the year?
  • Marsh left QPR in March 1972 and Bowles signed for QPR in September 1972
  • Last game of the 95/96 season. Beat Crewe. Got relegated that year I think. Super steve Torpey up top
  • SVJack said:
    Last game of the 95/96 season. Beat Crewe. Got relegated that year I think. Super steve Torpey up top
    some good players in that Crewe team, Robbie Savage and Danny Murphy.
  • Marsh left QPR in March 1972 and Bowles signed for QPR in September 1972
    Thanks for the dates. Jeez, it was more vague than I thought. I remember them both playing down the Vetch for QPR, but obviously now, not together. 
    Nostalgia ain’t what it used to be !
    Webmaster
  • First game was a local trip to Deepdale for a certain end of season match ????.
    First visit to the Vetch was the ECWC prelim v Braga.
    I don't think I saw the Swans win again after that for about 4 years!!!
  • My first game I think was in January 1969, an FA Cup 3rd round match at the Vetch against the mighty Halifax Town. Having won through the 1st and 2nd rounds we would have been hoping for a lucrative tie, but ......! We lost 0-1, and I remember their scorer was a chap called Bob Massie. The Swans team that day was: Dilwyn John, Carl Slee, Vic Gomersall, Alan Williams, Mel Nurse, Willie Screen, Len Allchurch, Geoff Thomas, Herbie Williams, David Gwyther and Brian Evans. No idea who the sub was. My next game was the following week if I recall correctly, against Doncaster Rovers. Again we lost 0-1, but in the next home game I saw us beat Shrewsbury Town 5-0 (maybe 5-1), and I remember Len Allchurch scoring a peach of a goal from distance. Great memories.
  • I think it was at home against Brentford in April 1978. Left the ground early to catch the train home and missed the winning goal - 2-1 - is that right?
  • I think it was at home against Brentford in April 1978. Left the ground early to catch the train home and missed the winning goal - 2-1 - is that right?
    Yes it was 2-1, I think that was my first game too but memory not what it was, but I was definitely there
  • Just checked, it was 2-1 but not my first game as I was at the 8-0 Hartlepool game so was earlier that season, can't remember when tho :hushed:
    15th April 1978, it was 2-1 but Swans were up 2-0 with Curtis scoring in 17 and 35mins before Graham scored for Brentford on 85mins. Swans went 3rd and Brentford were 4th in the league.
    Notes from the game--Fiercely contested match against their promotion rivals saw Swans move into 3rd place, with their 8th win in 9 games. Within 5 minutes of Brentford making a substitution(Shrubb replaced by Lloyd), Allder was injured in a tackle with Evans, playing the last 20 minutes with 10 men
  • edited March 19
    The first game for me was at Preston in the early 50's when my Dad ,a Swansea exile and ardent Swans Fan took me. We lived up North then,but I was too young to have much recall.So I regard my first game, as being at the Vetch after we moved down,and that was against LeedsUnited on 1st October 1955.
    There was extra interest in Swansea as the Swans were doing well and John Charles was playing for Leeds.My recollections are pretty vivid,more of the occasion than the game though.There was a big crowd and from Colin's book the attendance was a record at that time of 29,477.It was a hot sunny day and at that time the North Bank was uncovered,and I have strong recall of the smell of tobacco smoke.As kids,and due to the size of the crowd, we were sitting on the top of the wall  for the whole length in front of the North Bank.After a short time the Ref stopped the game until we kids were all taken off the wall and into the crowd for safety reasons.Not good for me as I was much too short see over it, as it was about 4 feet high. In those days Leeds wore blue shirts with yellow sleeves so their all white is very much a recent kit in comparison to the Swans.
    The game ended 1-1 and Harry Griffiths scored for us.The Swans teem was--Johhny King,Arthur Willis,Gilbert Beech,Mel Charles,Tom Kiley,Bryn Jones,Ivor Allchurch,Harry Griffiths,Terry Medwin,Dudley Price,Cliff Jones.

Apart from John Charles Leeds included Jack Charlton.In October this year that will be 65 years ago---frightening.

• September 15th 1979 v QPR. We lost 2-1. I still have the programme. 

"I attended my first game at the Vetch aged six. My father’s friend brought along two homemade folding steps – one for his son, one for me. A piece of wood attached to two others with metal hinges, these stools allowed us to stand at the front of the East terrace and peer over the wall, viewing the game at pitch level. This required a certain amount of care. At particularly exciting moments in a game when we shifted our balance too dramatically, the stools were prone to collapsing. We gripped the metal fence in front of us to help steady ourselves. By arriving well before kick off, we were able to take our position directly behind the goal, just a couple of yards from the goal line."

I wrote about it in this piece, if anyone's interested: https://www.walesartsreview.org/whatever-happened-to-the-black-boy-of-killay/  
  • Very interesting article Darren, I left Swansea many years ago but remember the sign well as I worked in the black boy washing pots on a Saturday when I was a schoolboy for a time. Funnily enough I also did a summer job at Mettoys too on the production line, putting batman and robin into their batmobile amongst other things.
  • Ah cheers Malaga. (I had pretty much every car they made - and our mum used to paint the figures in our kitchen.)
  • My first game was Swansea v Liverpool in 1961. I was attending Terrace Road school and was taken with a neighbour's son. Just tall enough to see over the East Bank fence.  I think the Swans won by a couple of goals. 
    Webmasterbarry
  • Swansea 1 Huddersfield 0, Jimmy Gilligan. Opening home game 1990.
  • Not my first game, but first time I had been to the Vetch.
    It was a sunny  Saturday morning in August 1959, and I believe that the first home game of the new season ( v Lincoln ) was due to be played that afternoon. I had never been to the Vetch before but that Saturday, for some reason, I went with my girlfriend and her black poodle dog and was surprised that the gates were open and we could just walk in.
    A group of people were in the middle of the North bank and it was only later that I found out that they were opening the new cover to the north stand which had previously been  exposed to the elements. 

( the first game I attended was 6 months later ,in February 1960. Swans played Charlton and won 5-2 )

Joe90
  • 6th October 1990 
    Grimsby 1 Swansea 0
    Blundell  Park

I had a long wait for my first game, despite falling for the Swans on 29th August 1981 because they beat Leeds my home town (I lived a stones throw from Elland Road until I was 20). Therefore I was watching Leeds for many years before I got the chance to see Swansea for the first time.

As a 16yr old earning just £27.50 a week (Who remembers those YTS schemes) this was my first opportunity to go an watch Swansea fairly local to Leeds. I went t Leeds train station and asked for a ticket to Grimsby only to be advised that Grimsby does not have a train station!!

Dumbfounded I asked "but I need to go to Grimsby as I'm going to watch Swansea City play

I was advised I need to go to Cleethorpes (turns out Cleethorpes is where Blundell Park is!!)

Anyway the game was quite non-descript  and I only really remember two things firstly that Chris Coleman was playing for Swansea and even at young age was clearly a class above everyone on the pitch. Secondly from my seat in the Findus Stand I could see the north sea and a big storm was brewing and eventually it engulfed the ground and effectively provided the assist for the Grimsby winning goal when the wind lifted the all over the head of a Swansea defender and into the path of their striker.

I loved it and new my bizarre choice to support Swansea back in 1981 as that 8yr old from Leeds was the right choice
  • 1968. v Arsenal in the cup. Stood on the sleepers on the "Tanner" Bank behind the goals, with my Dad & Grandad. "Like Sardines2 was an understatement, with the Tannoy system on the North Bank asking people to move down the Terrraces or to the left/right so that everyone could get up though the tunnels 

Here is how it was reported.
    https://swans100.com/2018/07/03/swansea-vs-arsenal-1968-the-vetch-fields-record-attendance/  
  • @Chris_Sharman, out of curiosity, of all the other clubs to choose from, what made you pick Swansea ?
  • deekay said:
    @Chris_Sharman, out of curiosity, of all the other clubs to choose from, what made you pick Swansea ?
    Oops, should have read your first paragraph!!
    Have you ever thought that you made the wrong decision ?
  • Same here StephenR

February  1968 4th round F A cup vs Arsenal ,
    Stood under the double decker with my mum , two short arses , packed like sardines ! Swans biggest crowd 33000,

Three  things I remember  swans number 10 I think with receding  blonde hair Ivor Allchurch  , Arsenal's number 5 
    Ian Ure looked like a giant and Bobby Gould who had signed for the Arsenal  for £110 000 , who scored and they won 1 nil , 
    I was hooked 
    15th April 1978, it was 2-1 but Swans were up 2-0 with Curtis scoring in 17 and 35mins before Graham scored for Brentford on 85mins. Swans went 3rd and Brentford were 4th in the league.
    Notes from the game--Fiercely contested match against their promotion rivals saw Swans move into 3rd place, with their 8th win in 9 games. Within 5 minutes of Brentford making a substitution(Shrubb replaced by Lloyd), Allder was injured in a tackle with Evans, playing the last 20 minutes with 10 men
    Was at this game , the pitch was pretty threadbare  with lots of sand and very dry  , and two top strikers we had Curt and they had Phillips , Curt came out on top 
  • edited March 21
    I think it was at home against Brentford in April 1978. Left the ground early to catch the train home and missed the winning goal - 2-1 - is that right?
    It's a long time ago but I think I remember this match being shown on the Big Match on ITV on the Sunday - I do remember a home match against Brentford being shown on TV (which was rare for us in those days) around that time and Curtis scoring a gem in front of the East by turning the defender with a characteristic drop of the shoulder and putting it low into the corner.
    It's a long time ago but I think I remember this match being shown on the Big Match on ITV on the Sunday - I do remember a home match against Brentford being shown on TV (which was rare for us in those days) around that time and Curtis scoring a gem in front of the East by turning the defender with a characteristic drop of the shoulder and putting it low into the corner.
    It was on TV,  I was in the background on a throw in, probably why I remember the game.
  • deekay said:
    deekay said:
    @Chris_Sharman, out of curiosity, of all the other clubs to choose from, what made you pick Swansea ?
    Nope, never thought I made the wrong decision. I still live in Leeds and go to many Leeds games and in the past have had a Leeds season ticket and don't get me wrong I love Leeds and am a passionate Leeds fan.

But I get more excited, more nervous when it come to Swansea. I can't really explain why as I had to support them from afar for the first 8 years using technology like clubcall, teletext and the odd match on the radio (difficult to pick up Swansea radio stations in Leeds!!).

For many years (whilst recovering from and ACL injury) I would watch Swansea whenever they were up North at such locations as Mansfield, Darlington, Rotherham etc.. and then go watch Leeds in the Premier League.

One weekend I was at Halifax on the Saturday where about 1200 turned up and at Elland Road on the Sunday to watch Leeds beat Newcastle and go top of the Premier League with Elland Road packed with 40,000 (they have since reduced the capacity) and I remember clearly thinking to myself whilst this is great I much preferred yesterday at Halifax.

Although I did always expect Leeds to be my Premier League team and Swansea to be in the lower league, but we all know how that panned out and luckily the TV coverage is much better now I can get my fill of Swansea and Leeds.

How there is absolutely no question (and I get asked a lot) if I had to choose between Leeds and Swansea. I have never hesitated since that day in 1981, Swansea City FC are my team  (and I have the tattoo to prove it!!)
    JackaremedeekayWebmasterPablo
  • deekay said:
    deekay said:
    Nope, never thought I made the wrong decision. I still live in Leeds and go to many Leeds games and in the past have had a Leeds season ticket and don't get me wrong I love Leeds and am a passionate Leeds fan.

But I get more excited, more nervous when it come to Swansea. I can't really explain why as I had to support them from afar for the first 8 years using technology like clubcall, teletext and the odd match on the radio (difficult to pick up Swansea radio stations in Leeds!!).

For many years (whilst recovering from and ACL injury) I would watch Swansea whenever they were up North at such locations as Mansfield, Darlington, Rotherham etc.. and then go watch Leeds in the Premier League.

One weekend I was at Halifax on the Saturday where about 1200 turned up and at Elland Road on the Sunday to watch Leeds beat Newcastle and go top of the Premier League with Elland Road packed with 40,000 (they have since reduced the capacity) and I remember clearly thinking to myself whilst this is great I much preferred yesterday at Halifax.

Although I did always expect Leeds to be my Premier League team and Swansea to be in the lower league, but we all know how that panned out and luckily the TV coverage is much better now I can get my fill of Swansea and Leeds.

How there is absolutely no question (and I get asked a lot) if I had to choose between Leeds and Swansea. I have never hesitated since that day in 1981, Swansea City FC are my team  (and I have the tattoo to prove it!!)
    Clubcall....0898 12 16 39 - cost me a FORTUNE
    DDWTPablo