Football betting site Betway

Best post-1960 Swans team ever

edited March 24 in Swansea City
Just to keep the Swans addiction going, what are posters thoughts of the best Swans team ever. Taking into account the broad spectrum of age groups on this forum I have started from 1960. Besides the high quality players the club had during the First Division and Premier League eras the X1 also takes into account long serving players in the lower leagues, in a 4-3-3 formation
Here we go,
1.Roger Freestone
2.Wyndham Evans, 5.Ashley Williams, 6.Keith Walker, 3.Dzemal Hadziabdic,
8. Robbie James, 4.Leon Britton, 11.Tommy Hutchison 
9.Bob Latchford, 10.Ivor Allchurch, 7.Alan Curtis.
Substitutes(7)
Lucasz Fabianski(g/k), Neil Robinson, John Mahoney, Joe Allen, Geoff Thomas, Herbie Williams, Nathan Dyer.

Webmaster

Comments

• Great thread Colin - there are a couple of my own assumptions that I will use - First by best you mean highest quality and not favourite? For me that rules out any player unproven at the highest level.. Second  I cannot comment on anything pre 1970. although I did get to hear great things about Ivor and played with his son for a short while, getting to meet the great man a few times. Third I am going for quality and not necessarily longevity.
    Having said all that - here goes
    1 Fabianski
    2 Rangel 5 Ash 6 Rajkovic 3 Hadziabdic
    8 Robbie  4 Leon (c) 10 Gylfi 11 leighton
    7 Curt 9 Michu

subs Freestone Wyndham Chico Pablo Joey Latchford Montero

Darren
  • Fabianski
    Rangel, Ashley Williams, Rajkovic, Hadziabdic
    Pratley/Britton/Bodde
    Michu, Allchurch, Curtis,
    Subs
    Freestone, Trundle, Robbie James, Sigurdsson, Leighton James, Wyndham Evans, Monk

I never saw Ivor Allchurch play but my educated guess is that he deserves a place and needs to be there. I almost picked Trunds in the first eleven with Leighton James for balance, but you can't have everything. Controversially, I've put Robbie on the bench because I wanted to pick the awesome combination as a unit of Pratley,Britton and Bodde that worked so well together.

So difficult to have to make those choices and I'd probably change my mind next week too.
  • Would more or less agree with @Colin_swansea with the starting eleven except change Michu for Ivor as Ivor was a bit before my time.
  • Phuq - can I add Trunds and Bodde to the bench?? Just extend the bench a bit!
    Jeff_Cowbridge
  • Here is my lot. 
    Fabianski

Rangel, Ash, Rajkovic, HabdiJimmy,

Robbie James, Bodde, Leighton james
    Michu, Curtis

Subs, Freestone, Latchford, Britton Chico, Monk, Windham, Allchurch

What a job that was. No place for Siggy and I could not put an Initial in front of Allchurch because they were both Awesome, but at a push I would go for Len. Yes,  I saw them both play.

• Here is my lot. 
    Fabianski

Rangel, Ash, Rajkovic, HabdiJimmy,

Robbie James, Bodde, Leighton james
    Michu, Curtis

Subs, Freestone, Latchford, Britton Chico, Monk, Windham, Allchurch

What a job that was. No place for Siggy and I could not put an Initial in front of Allchurch because they were both Awesome, but at a push I would go for Len. Yes,  I saw them both play.

You're allowed 11 mind Colin :-)
    Darrencimlajack
  • This is my team ,
    Fabs, Rangel , Nurse , Ash , Jimmy 
    Robbie , Leon , Bodde
    Curt , Michu , Leighton James  

Subs Freestone , Coleman , Monk , Dyer , Latchford  , Pratley ,
    Herbie Williams ,
  • Thanks Jeff, In that case Latchford on and Ivor on the bench.

When I first saw your post I had to recount my team a couple of times.

I don't think I would have made a good manager.
    Jeff_CowbridgeDarren
  •                                       Freestone

Rangel                Rajkovic.             Ash.          Hadziabdic

Britton
    Sinclair                                                                  James

Siggy 

Trundle                   Michu

subs
    Fabs
    Walker
    Bodde
    Mahoney
    Curtis
    Allchurch
    W Evans
    Joe90
  • I like the Mel Nurse selection @Malc - just before my time - but my father loved the big guy (and he was a good judge). His actions post retirement just add to his JB pedigree.
  • Ivor, its a strange one for me but if we talking about best since the 60's then Ivor's best years were at Newcastle, he came back to Swansea as an elder statesman, still good but hardly his best so for that reason, I wouldn't pick him, same with Mel Nurse.
    We can't really pick Freestone ahead of Fabianski. Fabs done it at the highest level and Freestone done well in the 3rd and 4th division.
    Best team ever was the team that Michael Laudrup assembled and would hammer Tosh's side if the two were to pair up.
  • jollyboy said:
    Ivor, its a strange one for me but if we talking about best since the 60's then Ivor's best years were at Newcastle, he came back to Swansea as an elder statesman, still good but hardly his best so for that reason, I wouldn't pick him, same with Mel Nurse.
    We can't really pick Freestone ahead of Fabianski. Fabs done it at the highest level and Freestone done well in the 3rd and 4th division.
    Best team ever was the team that Michael Laudrup assembled and would hammer Tosh's side if the two were to pair up.
    the team selection wasn't all about one, two season wonders from the PL but players who made a mark with fans at all levels of the game. I wasn't fortunate to see Ivor in his pomp but what I did see when he returned at the age of 35 a footballer who stood out amongst his opponents, scoring 40 league goals in 3 seasons in a struggling Swans team. One just admired and wondered how good he was in his prime not only as a player but the manner in which he conducted himself off the field. 

• jollyboy said:
    Ivor, its a strange one for me but if we talking about best since the 60's then Ivor's best years were at Newcastle, he came back to Swansea as an elder statesman, still good but hardly his best so for that reason, I wouldn't pick him, same with Mel Nurse.
    Hi Jollyboy ,

Couldn't  see a side with Robbie , Curt , Rajkovic , John Mahony being hammered  , their physical  approach  and ability would have matched  Laudrup's side , 
  • The one player I have reflected on that nobody seems to put forward is Wilf Bony. Short lived career for sure at the Liberty - but in his pomp he was some player. Hardly ever seen a player hold the ball up for half an hour surrounded by defenders.
  • Johnny King, Dai Thomas, Arthur Willis, Mel Charles, Mel Nurse, Bryn Jones, Lennie Allchurch, Harry Griffiths, Des Palmer, Ivor Allchurch, Cliff Jones. 
  • jollyboy said:
    the team selection wasn't all about one, two season wonders from the PL but players who made a mark with fans at all levels of the game. I wasn't fortunate to see Ivor in his pomp but what I did see when he returned at the age of 35 a footballer who stood out amongst his opponents, scoring 40 league goals in 3 seasons in a struggling Swans team. One just admired and wondered how good he was in his prime not only as a player but the manner in which he conducted himself off the field. 

Col, you said best, then put Freestone in instead of Fabianski, now I loved our Rog but to say he was better is just not true, best team since the 60's would have probably only included some of Tosh' team and mostly Laudrup's team, there would be no place in my team for anyone that played in the 3rd and 4th division for us. sorry, not meant to offend just being truthful.
    Jackareme
  • jollyboy said:
    jollyboy said:

Col, you said best, then put Freestone in instead of Fabianski, now I loved our Rog but to say he was better is just not true, best team since the 60's would have probably only included some of Tosh' team and mostly Laudrup's team, there would be no place in my team for anyone that played in the 3rd and 4th division for us. sorry, not meant to offend just being truthful.
    Ok, perhaps I was wrong in inserting 'Best' in the title, but the following text I inserted - 'Besides the high quality players the club had during the First Division and Premier League eras the X1 also takes into account long serving players in the lower leagues.'

The post was intended to cover a broad spectrum of seasons where when you consider we played at the top level for just 9 seasons, the remaining 51 seasons produced quality, legendary players from all four divisions who became favourites over a broad age group of fans.
  • I dream of a team of Alan Tates.

Super Swans.
    Jackareme
  • It wouldn't feel right for me to pick anyone before 1990, which was my first game. As I didn't see them live. That obviously rules out very good players, but there we are.

With some of these, the heart is ruling the head a bit. You can probably guess which ones. 

GK - Fabianski

RB - Rangel
    CB - Williams
    CB - Tate
    LB - Davies

CM - Bodde
    CM - Britton
    CM - Sigurdsson

RW - Dyer
    ST - Trundle
    LW - Montero

Subs: Freestone, Monk, Allen, Sinclair, Routledge, James, Michu.
  • After reading other peoples comments  I have to say I rushed into this post a tad to fast.
    How on earth could I have not   put the great Herbie Williams and Alan Tate not to mention Wilf in my team.
  • Fabianski
    Rangel, Williams, Rajkovic, Hadziabdic,
    Britton, Bodde
    Michu Siggurdsson Hernandez
    Curtis

• Too difficult for me to cut this down to an 11 plus subs .So many players have come and gone, and so many of them made a difference.
    Many are all part of my personal 'folklore' of the Swans and if I chose names  it would only  be  a list of my personal favourites, it would be for umpteen reasons,and would  not be  the basis of a GK to Forward line Team.
  • Honourable mention for Lee Trundle as without his swagger from 2004, I'm not sure 2011 would have happened.
  • jollyboy said:
    Honourable mention for Lee Trundle as without his swagger from 2004, I'm not sure 2011 would have happened.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. Even though it was lower two divisions football, he was an entertainer and imo a genius, if he'd been a bit smarter with his diet and fitness he'd have been a Premier League player. But in many ways that just added to his charm. Fantastic player to watch though. He had that "X Factor" - you've either got it or you haven't, and he had it in spades.
  • @garythenotrashcougar unfortunately much as I share your love of Trunds, he lacked one essential piece of the jigsaw - namely PACE. In the championship with us and brizzle he had the tricks to get away from defenders, but they were often able to get back at him, meaning he had to beat them again. In the lower divisions he was truly dynamite.
    One of my favourites and his signing was a defining moment for our club, but he had the same issue as myself as a player (I stalled at Welsh League level)- the higher up the pyramid you go the more you need pace.
  • I wouldn't argue with that @Jackareme

Though, Teddy Sheringham would be perhaps the best example of a player who had no pace but his brain more than compensated. Well, that plus the fact he looked after himself in a way that, shall we say, Trunds only started doing very late in his career!
    Jackareme
  • This is my team based purely on crowd favourites at the time
    In a 4-3-3 formation might not win many games but what a pleasure to watch in full flight, everyone of them either had sheer class or would run through a brick wall for the Swans.
    Would put Michu on for Ivor when he got tired, Latchford or Leighton for Trundle after he had been kicked to shit.
    Would never sub Wyndham because he would play with 2 broken legs
    Tony Millington could make simple saves fantastic

Tony Millington
    .Wyndham Evans,  Chico, Rajkovic,  Dzemal Hadziabdic,
    Robbie James,  Leon, Roy Paul
    Ivor,  Curtis  Trundle

Jackareme