Football betting site Betway

Swans Nostalgia in Pictures

edited June 5 in Swansea City
Havin been rummaging through my collection of Swans stuff this weekend,  I thought it would be a good idea to start a nostalgia thread of old and possibly rare Swans pictures that you have.

To kick things off, here's one I scanned from the Swans v Sheffield Wednesday programme on 2nd December 1978.

Comments

• Name the players from the above pic
  • I'll have a try.

From L-R,  Leighton Phillips, Kevin Moore, Chris Marustik, ???, Les Chappell, Wyndham Evans, ???, Terry Medwin, Robbie James, Alan Waddle, John Toshack (in drivers seat)

Wyndham is blocking someone in the photo, From the hair it could well be Alan Curtis. 

No doubt i'll be kicking myself when someone identifies the 2 i couldn't get.
  • Season 1995/96 saw 5 managers in the Vetch Field hot seat.

WebmasterDDWT
  • Cimlaswan said:
    I'll have a try.

From L-R,  Leighton Phillips, Kevin Moore, Chris Marustik, ???, Les Chappell, Wyndham Evans, ???, Terry Medwin, Robbie James, Alan Waddle, John Toshack (in drivers seat)

Wyndham is blocking someone in the photo, From the hair it could well be Alan Curtis. 

No doubt i'll be kicking myself when someone identifies the 2 i couldn't get.
    I'm pretty confident that the first one is Geoff Crudgington and I think the second one is Steve Morris
  • It's unfortunately very small but this was taken after the last league game at the Vetch. Somebody ripped the sign off the wall outside the North Bank and I happened to be there as an "innocent bystander" for the photo - that's me on the far right - I didn't know the other guys but I was told that the sign ended up in the Pant Y Gwydr

Webmaster
  • Opening match of the 2003/4 season v Bury

• I wonder how man posters on this forum bought these bonds

WebmasterDDWT
  • I amstill sure the new stand was built 3 feet too far forward 'cause you couldn't see the goal line from many seats!! 
  • I wonder how man posters on this forum bought these bonds

Me
  • edited March 31
    Vetch Field grass carefully kept from the last league match - pretty good condition for 15 years

WebmasterDDWT
  • I'm so glad you said it was Vetch Field grass @Jeff_Cowbridge :joy:
    Jeff_Cowbridge
  • Taken from a charity match at the Vetch in 1983. Can you name the players
    Webmaster
  • Players only:
    Back row: Ivor Allchurch, Mel Charles, Dave Stewart, Mel Nurse, Doug Rosser, Dixie Hale.
    Front row: Ronnie Rees, Len Allchurch, Dai Gwyther, Brian Evans, Wyndham Evans.
    Of the non players, I can pick out Roy Saunders back row 3rd left, Herbie Williams between Rosser & Hale, Trevor Ford one in front back right; Vic Gomersall front row far right.  
    Struggling to recognise the others with time passing, though!
    Jeff_CowbridgeDarren
  • Niall,
    here's the pic with the text

niallo11Webmaster
  • @DDWT has been sharing various pictures on the SCFC2 Twitter account and Facebook page, if anyone would like to have a look  :)

SCFC2 on Twitter

SCFC2 on Facebook
  • Records of Swans management team salaries from the early to mid 60s.
    WebmasterColin_swansea
  • Cartoon from the Daily News after Swans had beaten Arsenal in the 1925/26 FA Cup Q/Final

StephenRWebmasterniallo11
  • Way before my time but feel free to try and name all of the players :)

I think I recognise Curt, Wyndham and Robbie :)

• This must be on the occasion of Curts' debut international call-up, so 1975/6.  Players are Geoff Bray (a particular favourite of mine), Danny Bartley, Wyndham Evans, Andy Leitch, Robbie James, Steve Potter, Dave Bruton, Curt, Mickey Conway, Jan Bekker, Harry Griffiths (manager) & Geoff Thomas. 
    Webmaster
  • I know there was a separate thread about first games, but I tracked this teamsheet down years after seeing my opening Combination match, a 2-2 draw with visitors Ipswich from 1970.  
    3 current or future internationals in The Swans line-up, 4 current or future internationals in the Ipswich line-up.  
    Not sure why Ipswich appear presented as if they're the home team, but was amused to read about the ban on "bovver boots".  Not sure how effective that was in practice!
    Webmaster
  • March 1957 entry in the match programme

niallo11Webmaster
  • Entertainment Tax seems to have been some bonkers "amusement tax" on cinemas and sports.  It was abolished in the UK in 1960, but nothing I've read indicates what replaced it (and why would anyone kill a golden goose?).  Perhaps Goods & Services or VAT, in time?
  • A Welsh Cup winning Swans team that I watched from the giddy heights of Cardiff Arms Park in 1991.  Very much a side in transition, but Dave Penney made an early mark.  
    Webmaster
  • edited April 13

back row l to r
    Bracey, Coughlin, Harris, Kendall, Davey, Coleman, Chalmers, Trick, Hough, Jenkins

front row l to r
    Raynor, P Williams, Watson, Legg, Connor, Penney
  • Thanks for the great photo Colin - that was a good day out.

I miss the Welsh Cup.

I'd forgotten altogether about Paul Williams - a young full back we had on loan from Sunderland. I thought we'd end up buying him - he looked very promising to me - but that didn't happen and his football career didn't really develop.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Williams_(footballer,_born_1970)
  • The New Covered North Bank in 1959

JackaremeJeff_CowbridgeWebmaster

• back row l to r
    Bracey, Coughlin, Harris, Kendall, Davey, Coleman, Chalmers, Trick, Hough, Jenkins

front row l to r
    Raynor, P Williams, Watson, Legg, Connor, Penney
    Correct, Colin!  Des Trick was preferred to Mark Harris.  Andy Watson got a rare outing as well (& played well).  Overall, it was a good team performance in the sun.
  • I was at the game  , apart from going to the National  Stadium  and winning , remember  very little of game ,
  • Here’s a team pic from Ian Evans’s ill-fated reign.  This is from March 1989.  A lot of experience in this side, but a couple of left-field faces in the squad...
    Colin_swanseaWebmaster
  • Ian Evans , ____ Dudley Lewis ,Chris Coleman,  Alan Knill , Lee Bracey , Andy Melville , Alan Davies _______
    Paul Raynor ,  Steve Thornber ? , Robbie , Tommy , David Hough  ?