Swans Nostalgia in Pictures

Comments

• Malc said:
    Ian Evans , ____ Dudley Lewis ,Chris Coleman,  Alan Knill , Lee Bracey , Andy Melville , Alan Davies _______
    Paul Raynor ,  Steve Thornber ? , Robbie , Tommy , David Hough  ?
    That’s a smart effort, Malc!
    You’re right with your back row names.
    Paul Raynor, Steve Thornber, Robbie James & Tommy Hutchinson are spot on in the front row.
    Only a couple to go, but one name apart (you have him already, different place), the 2 others are a bit tricky!
  • Stuart Phillip's on the back right in tracksuit 
  • David Hough next to Ian Evans
  • Next to Tommy , David D'Auria ,
  • Malc said:
    Next to Tommy , David D'Auria ,
    You’re bang on with David Hough & Stewart Phillips, good calls.  
    Colin West is hard to identify at the end of the front row.  On loan from Chelsea.  Not the same named ex-Sunderland forward who distinguished himself in our 1993 playoffs.
  • Thanks niallo11 
    Would never have remembered him , 
    Colin West ex Sunderland  , let us down in the playoff  2nd leg , Frankie Burrows  Swans 2 = 1 up , 2nd leg West sent off after West Brom had a man sent off , lost the game  .
  • Ossie Ardiles at The Vetch - but who was he playing for and what was the occasion?

• Niall,

French team PSG
  • Here's one from season 1986/87. Can you name the guy, back row, right.

• Niall,

French team PSG
    You’re right, Colin.  This was during his enforced sabbatical from Tottenham.  We lost the home ECWC game 1-0.
  • Here's one from season 1986/87. Can you name the guy, back row, right.

Graham Davies?
    Ron Walton back row, left.
  • Ron Walton , Andy Melville  ,  Nigel French , Phil Williams , Mike Hughes  , Harrison ,
    Sean McCarthy  , Colin Pascoe  , David Hough ,
    Andy Legg , Ian love  , Nigel Stevenson  , Tommy , Terry , Ivor Emmanuel  , Terry Phelan , __
  • That's right Niall ,from the East Side plus three local lads in the squad from the same side of town .They came from a great few years at Kilvey Colts in the Junior Leagues.
  • niallo11 said:
    I know there was a separate thread about first games, but I tracked this teamsheet down years after seeing my opening Combination match, a 2-2 draw with visitors Ipswich from 1970.  
    3 current or future internationals in The Swans line-up, 4 current or future internationals in the Ipswich line-up.  
    Not sure why Ipswich appear presented as if they're the home team, but was amused to read about the ban on "bovver boots".  Not sure how effective that was in practice!
    Just checked . I was also at the above match.
    A few observations; I think it was unusual to hold a Combination game on a Saturday afternoon when the first team ( away at Reading here ) were also in action.
    Also all the Swans team had  or would have first team experience apart from, I think , 3 Meyrick.
    You comment on the strength also of the Ipswich team.
    Surely this was a much better system than the present one where most of this team would have been sitting on the bench at Reading doing nothing.
    The quality and experience of the two teams here made for an entertaining afternoon out for you and me and whoever else was  attending that afternoon.
    niallo11
  • niallo11 said:
    Here's one from season 1986/87. Can you name the guy, back row, right.

Graham Davies?
    Ron Walton back row, left.
    Back Row - Ron Walton, Andy Melville, Nigel French, Phil Williams, Mike Hughes, Chris Harrison, Sean McCarthy, Colin Pascoe , David Hough , Graham Davies
    Front Row - Keri Andrews, Colin Randall, Dudley Lewis, Tommy Hutchison, Terry Yorath , Gary Emmanuel , Terry Phelan, Paul Burrows
    Colin_swansea
  • Here's another lineup from 1984/85,

• The Hummel strip was one of my favourite with the Diversified Products sponsor. Dean Saunders sitting front row far left, didn't he join Cardiff that season on loan for a few games?
  • Yes Deano played 4 games for them before going to Brighton  ,
  • Here's another lineup from 1984/85,

Chris Marustik, excellent player. lost too young

• Chris Marustik , Wyndham  Evans  , Gary Richards  , ____
    Mike Hughes , Jimmy Rimmer , Chris Sanders , ____   Darren Gale ,David Hough , Dudley  Lewis ,Tony Cottee , Dean Saunders , ______ Colin Pascoe , ______ , Nigel Stevenson  , ____ , Steve Mardenbrough,   ___

Struggling on the front row , recognise  the one between  Pascoe and speedy  cannot get the name lol
  • Malc said:
    Chris Marustik , Wyndham  Evans  , Gary Richards  , ____
    Mike Hughes , Jimmy Rimmer , Chris Sanders , ____   Darren Gale ,David Hough , Dudley  Lewis ,Tony Cottee , Dean Saunders , ______ Colin Pascoe , ______ , Nigel Stevenson  , ____ , Steve Mardenbrough,   ___

Struggling on the front row , recognise  the one between  Pascoe and speedy  cannot get the name lol
    I agree with all of those Malc.
    I don't know who's between Richards and Mike Hughes but I think the other missing name in the back row is Pat McQuiillan.
    Front row missing names are Neil Robinson, Mark Hughes ( I think!), Jimmy Loveridge and Phil Williams
  • Thanks Jeff  ,

Of course  its Mark Hughes , should have got Neil Robinson  and Phil William's,  recognised  him 2 years later  , did think Jimmy Loveridge  was a good player , hope his son makes the first team , 
    Remember  Pat McQuillan ,
  • The missing name between Gary Richards & Mike Hughes is Roger Mullen, a tough, good on the ball centre half who was unfortunate to come through at a bad time for our younger players.  He got bombed out by John Bond but made a creditable career for himself at Merthyr, including European competition through the Welsh Cup.
    Jeff_Cowbridge
  • Try this team photo,

• Try this team photo,

front row: Waddle, Evans,  Curtis, Medwin,  Toshack,  Chappell, Charles, Bartley, and Bruton.  

middle row :Williams (physio )James R , James A , Moore, barber, Crudgington, Langley ,Morris, Stevenson, and Lally.

back row :Lloyd,  Marustik, McCarthy, Edwards, Baker, White, Phillips, Reeves.

The above team had gained promotion from the third division by finishing third in the 1978/79 season, just behind Watford and Shrewsbury.

The final game against Chesterfield was one of those never to be forgotten affairs for those  who were fortunate enough to be  there ( 22,341 of us in fact ).
  • Try this team photo,

front row: Waddle, Evans,  Curtis, Medwin,  Toshack,  Chappell, Charles, Bartley, and Bruton.  

middle row :Williams (physio )James R , James A , Moore, barber, Crudgington, Langley ,Morris, Stevenson, and Lally.

The above team had gained promotion from the third division by finishing third in the 1978/79 season, just behind Watford and Shrewsbury.

The final game against Chesterfield was one of those never to be forgotten affairs for those  who were fortunate enough to be  there ( 22,341 of us in fact ).
    That Toshack header!!
  • Well done IDavies555
  • edited April 2020
    Now try this one, August 1956 trial match,

niallo11
  • StephenR said:
    Try this team photo,

That Toshack header!!
    Oh yes , didn't  they score direct from a corner , a guy with ginger hair if I remember  ?

I was there 
  • Better haircuts in 1956 than 1978