Swans Nostalgia in Pictures

Comments

• Hi Colin I’ll have a bash at the 1956 team pic.  I’ve seen the first team line-up named before,  but really struggling with the reserves, some of whom I know of by name only - so a lot of guesswork there. First teamers (white shirts): Back row: Bryn Jones, Dudley Peake, Johnny King, Dai Thomas, Ivor Allchurch, Tom Brown. Front row: Len Allchurch, Harry Griffiths, Bert McIntosh, Mel Charles, Cliff Jones. Reserves (dark shirts): Back row: Derek King, Arthur Willis, David Jones. Middle row: Jim Presdee?, Don Pearson, Brian Hughes, David Pope?  

Front row: Gil Beech, Bill Elsey, Dudley Price, Billy Rees.

On the far right in civvies are Steve Leavy & Des Palmer - in what looks like his demob suit!

Mel Nurse is standing behind the reserves team, dark shirt, middle row 5th from right.

• Public Practice match-August 1956

Back row, l-r, ? , ? , Derek Blackburn, Arthur Willis, Dai Jones(goalkeeper),

Middle row, l-r, ? , ? , Brin Jones, ? , Dudley Peake, Mal Kennedy, Johnny King, Dai Thomas, Ivor Allchurch, Tom Brown, Derek King?, Dudley Price, ? , Alan Morris, Brian Hughes, Mel Nurse, ? , ? , Steve Leavy, Des Palmer

Front row, l-r, Len Allchurch, Harry Griffiths, Alan Lovell, Mel Charles, Cliff Jones, Don Pearson, A McIntosh, ? , Bobby Henning

I havn't got any photos of winger David Jones, Bill Elsey while Billy Rees, Jim Pressdee and Davo Williams had left in May 1956. I can't see Gilbert Beech or Tom Kiley so am assuming they were injured as they played in 56/57 season while I am sure David Pope didn't arrive until September '56. 

• Hi Colin
    You'll know this pic was in the Richard Shepherd Swansea pictures book from a few years back - it looks as though he incorrectly identified McIntosh and Derek King in that.
    Although both Pope and Alan Woods signed after the start of the season, both are listed in a Swans reserve programme I've got from August that year, so presumably they may have been on trial at that time & may feature in your photo (see also attached for Pope, should look familiar!).  The reserve programme also lists Billy Rees & an inside forward called Collins, maybe another triallist?
    I enjoy a good Swans mystery.  Whenever the Civic Centre reference library reopens, I'll check out the Evening Post write-up for this Trial match!

Colin_swansea
  • edited April 2020
    Further to your previous post, I have narrowed down some possibilities, trialists(pre-pro signings), amateurs or other young professionals I have come across that could be mentioned in the newspaper report of the practice match.

DS Lewis, amateur prior to signing pro in December 1957
    D Pope as you mentioned.
    Alan Woods ex-Spurs trialist prior to signing pro in December 1956-Ron Burgess connection
    Billy Rees, pro between 1954 and 1958, 1 app in 54/55 season
    Ron Young, keeper, released at end of 1956/7 season
    Gwyn Davies, or could be Glyn Davies, released at end of 1956/57 season
    WJ(Bill) Elsey, signed pro from juniors in April 1956, signed for Wrexham in May 1959

• Hi Colin ,

That was too hard for us youngsters  lol

A few later ones  please 
  • Ok Malc, try this one, Swans in Spain,

• Cheers Colin ,
    Dennis Lawrence  , Shaun McDonald  , Ash , Darren Pratley , Dorius De Vries  , Tatey , Ferrie Bode , Mark Gower ,  Striker_, 
    Leon , Marcus Painter? 
  • Darrell Duffy  striker ?
  • Mark Gower is wrong, striker !!!!
  • Tom Butler not Mark Gower , the striker is Darrell  Duffy  
  • I'm afraid its not Duffy ..
  • It's Gorka Pintado..
  • I could never get over how skinny Dennis Lawrence was - amazing he made a decent centre back!
  • It's Gorka Pintado..
    no it isn't!
  • Is the striker Kevin McCloud ??
  • Sorry deekay it isn’t
  • I think the striker is the only New Zealander ever to play for the Swans.
     Colin,I am fairly confident that it is Rory Fallon.
  • It's Gorka Pintado..
    no it isn't!
    ok Colin, is it Chris Jones?
  • Sorry, no it isn't..
  • it is Andrea Orlandi with short hair?
  • I believe that is Chad Bond
    niallo11
  • Agree Jeff , Chad Bond 
  • Jackareme said:
    I could never get over how skinny Dennis Lawrence was - amazing he made a decent centre back!
    Can you believe  he was 6 ft 8 " , was he the tallest player to turn out for the Swans ?
    Jackareme
  • The name is Bond - Chad Bond!
  • I believe that is Chad Bond
    well done Jeff, it is Chad Bond.
  • edited April 2020
    A friendly v Chelsea at the Vetch Field in 1963, how many of the Swans players can you name plus the Chelsea player jumping for the ball with the keeper
  • I think the Swans players are Harry Griffiths, Ken Morgans, Mike Johnson and Peter Davies with Noel Dwyer the goalkeeper.
    As for the Chelsea  would it be Graham Moore ?

The pitch looks rather strange, is it snow or sand ?
  • I think the Swans players are Harry Griffiths, Ken Morgans, Mike Johnson and Peter Davies with Noel Dwyer the goalkeeper.
    As for the Chelsea  would it be Graham Moore ?

The pitch looks rather strange, is it snow or sand ?
    Yes you are correct.
    The game was played in February 1963 and quite possibly there had been some snow
  • Swansea Town side from Xmas 1964.  The FA Cup semi-final team has already started to be dismantled.  This side was relegated from Division 2 at the end of the season.

• Try this team photo,,,,