Swans Nostalgia in Pictures

Comments

•           ____ , Terry Boyle , David Hough , _____
    Walton, Phillips ,Harris , ____, Bracey , Coleman,  Trick , Ken Davey ,
    D'Auria,  Wade , Raynor, Tommy , Melville,  Evan's,   Thornber, Legg , Robbie ,
    Simon Davey , Coates ?
  • Next to Lee Bracey , James Heeps reserve Keeper 
  • Heeps is correct. Harris wrong as is Coates
  • Prew , top left   lloyd back right , Evan's front right 
  • Who is between Phillips and Heeps
  • Try this team photo,,,,
    Hard to believe, but it is Cameron Toshack.
    I have to admit without the help of your excellent book on the Swansea City 100 years record I would never have guessed who it was.
    I was not following the team that closely at the time living in Cornwall with a young family and there are not many faces in this group that I recognise. Only Coleman and Robbie in fact.
  • Thanks Colin and I'd avies , had to look at Shrewsbury vs Swans programme  to find the 3 ,
  • Try this team pic, reserve team line-up, season 1968/69

niallo11
  • Great photo, Colin.  I'm grounding myself on the basis I've seen the picture before, but it's a very good Combination Team group: every one of these players made first team appearances, even if the striker in the front row far left had to leave The Swans to do so!
  • Same as you niallo 11, although I will say that I do recognise four in the group. ie  Slee,  Rosser and Dil John at the back and Geoff Thomas with the ball.
     It was almost certain that I actually saw the game that relates to this photo as I rarely missed a Combination game in those days.
  • Same for me John Roberts  is 2nd from the end front row , 
    Alan Williams  maybe
  • John Roberts 2nd in far left 
  • Front row second left---Brian Grey and Far right---Terry Cotton.Both strikers,local lads.
  • edited April 2020
    No Roberts or Williams in the photo
  • Anybody know what this guy's name is?

• It's got to be the white knight on a charger Michael Thompson?
    Colin_swansea
  • Try this team pic, reserve team line-up, season 1968/69

Ok, 
    Back row-Carl Slee, Doug Rosser, Dilwyn John, Colin Crotty, Glennie Davies
    Front row-Malcolm John, Brian Grey, Alan Hughes, Geoff Thomas, Denley Morgan, Terry Cotton.

All made their league debuts with the Swans bar Malcolm John who made his with Bristol Rovers.
  • Thanks Colin , saw most of them play over 50 years ago , memory does funny things to you lol
  • Ok, here's one from the sixties,
  • edited April 2020
    That's one from my era as a young regular,but for the life of me I can't recall the guy on extreme left in front row.

Among others this team contained
    two tragically lost in a car accident,
    a future Swans manager still playing then, but with a dodgy knee,
    a survivor of the Munich air crash,
    the Irish goalkeeper who put Liverpool out of the cup at Anfield,
    a goalscoring midfielder hardly remembered, but to my mind one of the best  bargains the Swans ever had in that era, when he came,from Everton I think, for not much money.
    the local  winger a young prodigy in his day, who perhaps could have done better than moving sideways to Plymouth

I could go on--good  Swans memories for an old twerp like this one:)
  • From moorland clues ,
    The late Roy Evan's and Brian Purcell  ,
    Harry Griffiths 
    Ken Morgan 
    Noel Dwyer  GK
    Derek Draper
    Barrie Jones 
    Keith Todd
    Mike Johnson 
    Eddie Thomas
    Jimmy  McLaughlin  
  • As Moorlands I can remember watching most of that team.
    I can't identify who is second from the right in the back row and  also the one seated on the far left.

The rest I know .back  row : Evans, Purcell, Dwyer, Eddie Thomas and  Peter Davies  on the end.
    Front row : don't know, Brayley Reynolds, Glyn Davies, Ken Morgans  and Barrie Jones.

Anyone know the lady in the  centre stand wearing a headscarf ,scowling  between Davies and  my other unknown ? She seems to be the only female in the stand.

Roy Evans and Brian Purcell were both killed in a car crash on the Heads of the Valleys road on their way to or from Hereford United  , where they were playing after leaving the Swans.
    Footnote: By a process of elimination I now can identify the other two players. I don't want to spoil it for anyone else who wants to have a guess. I will say they were tricky as I don't remember either of them playing  for the Swans; probably because they didn't play  many times.

• Any more photos  Colin ?
  • Great picture Colin with my favourite player from that era Brayley Reynolds who was a handful for any centre half
    Roy Evans Brian Purcell Noel Dwyer Eddie Thomas Mike Hayes ? Peter Davies
    Malcolm Gilligan ? Brayley Reynolds Glyn Davies Ken Morgan Barrie Jones
  • Gorsjack said:
    Great picture Colin with my favourite player from that era Brayley Reynolds who was a handful for any centre half
    Roy Evans Brian Purcell Noel Dwyer Eddie Thomas Mike Hayes ? Peter Davies
    Malcolm Gilligan ? Brayley Reynolds Glyn Davies Ken Morgan Barrie Jones

Well done Gorsjack, team line-up from 1962/63

Team 1962-63
    Back row, l-r, Roy Evans, Brian Purcell, Noel Dwyer, Eddie Thomas, Mike Hayes, Peter Davies
    Front row, l-r, Malcolm Gilligan, Brayley Reynolds, Glyn Davies, Ken Morgans, Barrie Jones

• Hi Malc, try this one

• Cheers Colin , before my time , recognised  4 or 5 , so had to research  the photo 
     Swansea Town , August 1964 

Brian Evans,  Peter Davies , Eddie Thomas   John Roberts  , Les Harris , Ioan Rees   Ron Briggs , Brian Thomas , Ken Pound ,
    Alan Jones , Brian Purcell  , Herbie , Noel Dwyer , Mick Johnson  , Keith Todd , David Ward 
    Barrie Jones , Roy Evans , Brayley  Reynolds  , Derek Draper ,
    Jimmy McLaughlin  , Brian Hughes  , 
  • Hi Malc, 

well done, 1964/65

• Malc, try this one, trial match
    niallo11
  • Just realised  Ronnie Briggs was a Goalkeeper  , big guy 6ft 2" very broad lol