Swans Nostalgia in Pictures

Comments

• Obviously Herbie at the back third in from the left,then going right at the back last but one Tom Brown.
    Front row first left possibly Billy Reed,and then Brayley Reynolds,with possibly Dudley Peake next to him
  • OK, not seen this one before, but I'll go for this being the Reserve/Greens side in the 1958/9 public trial at The Vetch.

Back row: Ron Davies (RH), Malcolm Kennedy (LH), Herbie Williams (IL), Bobby Reid (GK), Tom Brown (CH), Dennis John (RB).

Front row: Billy Reed (OR), Des Palmer (CF), Steve Leavy (LB), Dai Lewis (IR), Wendell Morgan (OL).

• niallo11 said:

OK, not seen this one before, but I'll go for this being the Reserve/Greens side in the 1958/9 public trial at The Vetch.

Back row: Ron Davies (RH), Malcolm Kennedy (LH), Herbie Williams (IL), Bobby Reid (GK), Tom Brown (CH), Dennis John (RB).

Front row: Billy Reed (OR), Des Palmer (CF), Steve Leavy (LB), Dai Lewis (IR), Wendell Morgan (OL).

Well done Niall
  • Here's a more recent team photo,

• ___, Edwards  , Lee Jones , Freestone  , Jason Jones , Newhouse  , Price ,

Moreira , Clode , Coates , Ampadu  , Watkin , Applelby , Bird , O'Leary , Cusack 

Phillips,  ___, ____, Bound , Cork , Walker , Jones ,Jenkins ,
    ____ , ____
    Should know more ,
  • Malc said:
    ___, Edwards  , Lee Jones , Freestone  , Jason Jones , Newhouse  , Price ,

Moreira , Clode , Coates , Ampadu  , Watkin , Applelby , Bird , O'Leary , Cusack 

Phillips,  ___, ____, Bound , Cork , Walker , Jones ,Jenkins ,
    ____ , ____
    Should know more ,
    What about the non-playing staff
  • The guy on the left in the back row is Jamie Harries. 
    I wouldn't have remembered the reserve goalkeepers that Malc came up with.
    Mike Davenport is the coach on the left.
    Agree with Malc for the rest of the back row and middle row.
    Front row are Ryan Casey, Steve Jones, Damien Lacey and I think (Brownie's mate) Dave O'Gorman.
    Then Keith Walker, and ???? , Lee Jenkins, Linton Brown and ????
  • Thanks Colin , a few I didn't  remember  , who is the little  guy and the other one , not curt 

• Malc,

Team 1997/98

Back Row, l-r, Jamie Harris, Chris Edwards, Jason Jones, Roger Freestone, Lee Jones, Aidan Newhouse, Jason Price
    Middle Row, l-r, Mike Davenport(physio), Ian Branfoot(coach), Paul Morgan(kit man), Joao Moreira, Jonathan Coates, Mark Clode, Kwame Ampadu, Steve Watkin, Richie Appleby, Tony Bird, Kristian O’Leay, Nick Cusack, Alan Curtis(Community Officer
    Front Row, Ryan Casey, Steve Jones, Damian Lacey, Dave O’Gorman, Alan Cork(Manager), Keith Walker, Gary Jones, Lee Jenkins, Linton Brown, Rob King

• Thanks Colin . Any more ?
  • Try this one Malc,...…..
  • Pretty tough photo 

_____, Curt , ___, Dave Bruton , Mickey Evans , Tony Screen ,

Herbie , Harry Griffiths  , John Moore , ______,Jimmy McLaughlin,  Tony Millington  , Robbie , Glen Davies, Geoff Thomas , Dai Gwyther ,

_____, ____, Jeff Johnson , Harry Gregg , Wyndham Evans  ,Brian Evans  , Peter Jones , Ronnie Rees ,
  • This is the Swans squad for 1973/4.

Back row: Micky Lenihan, Alan Curtis, Anthony Gough, Dave Bruton, Pat Lally, Tony Screen.

Middle Row: Herbie Williams, John Moore, Neil Petherbridge, Mickey Evans, Tony Millington, Robbie James, Glen Davies, Geoff Thomas, Jim McLaughlin.

Front row: Martin Pass, David L Davies, Gerry Ingram, Harry Gregg, Wyndham Evans, Danny Bartley, Peter Jones, Ronnie Rees.

There are some players who didn’t figure for the first team that season.  Gerry Ingram left the club at the start of the season to go to Merthyr.  Anthony Gough was a trialist centre half from Swindon, who wasn’t kept on and I believe went onto Gloucester City.  Neil Petherbridge was a young right back who went to Ammanford without making a breakthrough.  Martin Pass was a local striker who went to Llanelli and Clydach.  David L Davies was a winger who made a single appearance the season before and ended up following Harry Gregg to Crewe along with Mickey Evans, Peter Abbott and Paul Bevan (he’s missing from this photo).  Davies got sent off at The Vetch a few years later for lunging at ‘keeper Keith Barber. 

• Well done Niall, one or two had me guessing
  • Thanks Colin and niallo11 

How I missed Danny Bartley and Pat Lally  lol
  • Malc,
    Came to know Pat Lally really well in years gone by and enjoyed his company on a few end of season jaunts to Holmfirth. Think he is still working for the PFA in Manchester.
  • Hi Colin ,
    Good to hear that , he always gave his best from what I remember  , that is 47 years ago ,

Brother  and I sat in the centre  stand , before games we used to go in the lounge , very often we had a chat with Mel Nurse , Mel Charles and sometimes some players , they were all happy to chat to anyone  , the place was later the Harry Griffiths lounge  , hard to believe  it was so long ago ,
  • Yes Malc, the Harry Griffiths Bar was a lovely place to chat with ex-players and even on occasions players and manager of the opposition irrespective of what had happened during the game.
  • I started going over after games to what was then the Vice Presidents lounge ( later renamed Harry Griffiths lounge?) and got to meet a lot of the current and ex players. Went for a couple of years before Tosh put an end to players mixing after the matches 
    Stand our memories Danny Bartley occasionally turning up and quietly sipping  on a cup of tea. Pat Lally crying his eyes out after we missed promotion under Harry Griffiths
    Always ready to chat Curt, Robbie and Charlo and the man who turned the club around in my opinion George Smith.
    Great days. 
  • Just found a programme  from March 24 th Swans vs Oldham league Div 3 , cost 7p

Attendance varied from 1st home game 4, 211 , Boxing day 4, 460 , Jan 26th  2,119 after a few wins in Feb they did improve to 5, 390 , 4, 584 ,

In the 74/75 season things were really tough for Harry Gregg , Tony Millington  , Barrie Hole , Vic Gomersall  and Brian Evan's had moved on ,
    There was a mood of despondency  only 612 Season Tickets  had been sold , in the November  the Combination  team were withdrawn  from the league ,

Eventually  Harry Gregg got disillusioned  with the lack of transfers  and moved on to Crewe , Harry Griffiths  took over and we know the rest .

Result of the game vs Oldham nil nil , oh well 
  • The year was 1973 , what a walley 
  • Malc, have a go at this team photo

• One of my favourite  managers and squads 

Ron Walton ,Jason Bowen , Paul Raynor  , ___, Mark Harris , Christian McLean,  Keith Walker , Jimmy Gilligan  , super Jonny Cornforth ___
    Frankie Burrows  , Paul Chalmers  , Simon Davey , David Hough , mark Kendall , Ben Miles  ? , Lee Bracey , Steve Jenkins  , Jonathan  Coates ,  David Barnhouse , Bobby Smith ,
    Alan Davies , Steve Thornber  , Russell Coughlin , Doug Sharpe , Terry Connor , Ivor Pursey, Andy Legg , ____, Shaun Chapple 

Not sure of the one between  Raynor and Harris , looks so familiar  
  • Heeps Goalkeeper  between  Kendall and Bracey 
  • Malc said:
    One of my favourite  managers and squads 

Ron Walton ,Jason Bowen , Paul Raynor  , ___, Mark Harris , Christian McLean,  Keith Walker , Jimmy Gilligan  , super Jonny Cornforth ___
    Frankie Burrows  , Paul Chalmers  , Simon Davey , David Hough , mark Kendall , Ben Miles  ? , Lee Bracey , Steve Jenkins  , Jonathan  Coates ,  David Barnhouse , Bobby Smith ,
    Alan Davies , Steve Thornber  , Russell Coughlin , Doug Sharpe , Terry Connor , Ivor Pursey, Andy Legg , ____, Shaun Chapple 

Not sure of the one between  Raynor and Harris , looks so familiar  
    Jonathan Coates, Dai Barnhouse and Pursey are wrong
  • Cheers Colin , wrong Coates , should be Marc , Mark Davies ,
    Mal Griffiths ,  Gary Henshaw ,  the other one is Steve McMahon , Ken Davey  Physio.
  • November 1976.  Swans beaten 5-1 away in a League Cup replay at Bolton.  4 visible players - 2 Swans, 2 from Bolton, the latter 2 are an ex-Man Utd & Scottish winger in the middle, the other far right, a future English international.
  • @niallo11, I'll have a stab at the photo. Bolton players are Peter Reid and Willie Morgan while the Swans players are Robbie James and I think Gil Reece??
  • @Arch_Stanton Good calls with the Bolton players, null points for the 2 Swans!
    Cool username, by the way.
  • Les Chappell is one ,