Swans Nostalgia in Pictures

Comments

• Les Chappell and Wyndham. Bolton players, Reid and Willie Morgan. Pity you couldn't have had a pic of big Sam !
  • Yes, it’s Les Chappell & Wyndham Evans on a rainy night at Burnden Park.
  • niallo11 said:
    November 1976.  Swans beaten 5-1 away in a League Cup replay at Bolton.  4 visible players - 2 Swans, 2 from Bolton, the latter 2 are an ex-Man Utd & Scottish winger in the middle, the other far right, a future English international.
    So what colours were those striped away shirts ? BTW, that's not a quiz question - I don't know the answer
  • Can you name the players with Harry

Webmaster
  • I think Tom Kiley is the tallest in the centre,but the others I would have to search for.
  • Malc said:
    Les Chappell is one , 
    Is the other one Wyndham

• So what colours were those striped away shirts ? BTW, that's not a quiz question - I don't know the answer
    Looking at this again, I don't think those are our shirts. I hadn't been to my first away match if it was 1976 but, still, there's no club badge on the left- and our home shirts did have a badge in 1976.
    My guess is that they played in some borrowed shirts for some reason.
  • November  2nd 1976 was the date , if you look closely  at the photo  you can see a badge  which looks like  a Swan ,

• So what colours were those striped away shirts ? BTW, that's not a quiz question - I don't know the answer
    Looking at this again, I don't think those are our shirts. I hadn't been to my first away match if it was 1976 but, still, there's no club badge on the left- and our home shirts did have a badge in 1976.
    My guess is that they played in some borrowed shirts for some reason.
    Au contraire!  It was an odd kit, but it was our 2nd kit that season.  The "Bible" of football at the time confirms it (enclosed), but I also recall seeing the Swans at the first away game that season, a League Cup encounter at Newport, and my friends booing a bunch of players entering the Somerton Park pitch in green and red striped jerseys... until they realised they were in fact the Swansea players.

• That's brilliant, thanks @niallo11 ;
    I recognise the layout of our page from the Rothman's Football Year Book - I use to have the 1973 version but no longer.
    In hindsight, I do now have some recollection of red and green stripes but maybe that's only because you've said it :-)
    Great research, thank you.

The picture was taken from Richard Shepherd's book, Images of Wales-Swansea Town Football Club 1912-1964.
    An excellent collection of photographs and historical information on the football club, but did have the occasional wrong name in the player line-ups. 
    Left to right- Richard has listed the following-Edgar Newell, Billy Thomas, Harry Griffiths, Jack Parry, Tom Kiley, George James, Ray Powell and Cyril Beech. I have my doubts that Billy Thomas could actually be John O'Sullivan. 
    Over to you Niall, what do you think?
  • I was at the first game Swans vs Bolton 1 - 1 draw , sat or stood in the wing stand ,
    We were in Division  4 they were in Division  2 , lost the replay 5 - 1 , Robbie scored , nearly 44 years ago ,
  • That pic of a Rothmans book makes me very nostalgic.

have just got into this thread. The Chesterfield game earlier was my second ever. About 20 years ago I was hit in a relatively mild car crash ( as in no one hurt). The guy who'd hit me was a decent bloke so we went in a pub to sort it all out. Turned out he played for Chesterfield that night. He told me Tosh sent a crate of champers into their dressing room. Their manager Arthur Cox made it clear that any player who so much as touched it wouldn't be there next season.

The picture was taken from Richard Shepherd's book, Images of Wales-Swansea Town Football Club 1912-1964.
    An excellent collection of photographs and historical information on the football club, but did have the occasional wrong name in the player line-ups. 
    Left to right- Richard has listed the following-Edgar Newell, Billy Thomas, Harry Griffiths, Jack Parry, Tom Kiley, George James, Ray Powell and Cyril Beech. I have my doubts that Billy Thomas could actually be John O'Sullivan. 
    Over to you Niall, what do you think?
    Colin: Thomas & O’Sullivan feature in the same team squad photo elsewhere in that book.  They’re very similar stature & looks, but I’d agree with you that O’Sullivan bears the closer resemblance.  In that picture, what seems unusual now is how small our ‘keeper Jack Parry is: who’d have a 5’ 9” goalie nowadays!

I can't wait for the club shop to re-open so that I can get my hands on the new training kit.
    niallo11

I can't wait for the club shop to re-open so that I can get my hands on the new training kit.
    everyone's mum was a knitter by the look of it.
  • Keepers dreaded rain as the heavy knitted top, felt like an armoured jacket by half-time!!
  • Team photo from first year at the Liberty

Webmaster
  • edited May 2020
    Colin

Was that the first attempt at social distancing ? :)
  • deekay said:
    Colin

Was that the first attempt at social distancing ? :)
    Nice one. No doubt it's something Kenny said!!
  • Plenty of coverage in the media recently regarding a potential restructuring of the lower leagues to reduce the travelling times and expense of away matches, just imagine what it was like in December 1953 when the Swans played at Barrow in the FA Cup with the supporters train leaving at 6-30pm the day before.

JackaremeWebmaster
  • Plenty of coverage in the media recently regarding a potential restructuring of the lower leagues to reduce the travelling times and expense of away matches, just imagine what it was like in December 1953 when the Swans played at Barrow in the FA Cup with the supporters train leaving at 6-30pm the day before.

This was the game when Barrow posted their record attendance- an amazing 16,874 from a resident population of  about 60,000. I wonder how many Swans supporters made that trip North.
    How times change. If they do end up promoted to the league again  next season  after an absence of 48 years I expect they will be pleased with anything over 4,000.

• Team photo from first year at the Liberty

that has to b the worst team photo in history!!
    Webmaster
  • edited May 2020
    Team photo from first year at the Liberty

that has to b the worst team photo in history!!
    I'll see you & raise you, Chris - this bunch has to be the most unenthusiastic lot anyone ever clapped eyes on!

MalcWebmaster
  • League Cup Winner & Swansea City manager.
  • That would be Colin Appleton  captained  Leicester  City winning  the league Cup 1964 ,
  • Malc said:
    That would be Colin Appleton  captained  Leicester  City winning  the league Cup 1964 ,

Really good shout, Malc, but incorrect!
  • Could it be Billy McCandless  ?
  • Oh, Frankie, Frankie, Frank Burrows
  • When Landore railway station was open and what a benefit it would have been when the Liberty was built in 2005.