Football betting site Betway

The Mumbles train (What were they thinking ! )

THE WORLD’S 1ST PASSENGER TRAIN. 

Imagine the tourist income generated for the City if Swansea ?

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-mumbles-railway-1804-1960-last-journey-1960-online

Comments

• Not only that but could be a vital piece of modern public service infrastructure for the University and Mumbles and save congestion on the Mumbles Road. Could even have been extended a la Croydon Tramlink to go up old tracks in the lower Swansea Valley and with a branch to Killay and Gowerton.
  • Garbo said:
    Not only that but could be a vital piece of modern public service infrastructure for the University and Mumbles and save congestion on the Mumbles Road. Could even have been extended a la Croydon Tramlink to go up old tracks in the lower Swansea Valley and with a branch to Killay and Gowerton.
    Agree with Garbo. Also great idea to extend as you suggest.
    One point worth noting is the fact that nearly all the old tram systems that were scrapped served city centres.
    The Mumbles tram did not, and was much more like that at Blackpool (which is still going strong I believe).
    When I was in Birmingham recently I witnessed the massive disruption being caused by the reinstatement of trams in the city centre.
    Surely we could have the Mumbles trams back without that much disruption, and as you and j4cka state they would be a huge tourist attraction I'm sure.

• It was the quintessential Swansea act.
    Invent the world's first passenger railway - destroy it for no good reason
    Create an industrial heritage infrasructure of world importance - blow it up and let the last remaining buildings rot and fall victim to vandelism
    Build the leading metropolis in Wales - sit back and watch while a small town in the Vale sucks up all the investment going because their 'city fathers' do the smart things while our 'city fathers' line their pockets
    Jackareme