Football betting site Betway

Swans quiz

1. Name the first team keeper apart from Johnny King who made regular appearances in the Swans Football Combination at centre forward. 

2. The Swans have always been known as having players in their squads with family connections, brothers, uncles, father and son etc., but can you name the three pairs of brothers who played in the same Swans Football Combination or Welsh League teams in the 60’s but who, one or both brothers, never played for the Swans first team. 

3. Can you name the three County cricketers who have played for the Swans since the early 60’s.

4. Swans secretary Gordon Daniels was a long serving club secretary at the Vetch Field in two periods between the early sixties and early 80’s, but can you name the former Football League referee who took over from him in January 1973.

5. Swans chairman Dough Sharpe signed three players from North of the Border in season 1989/90, Keith Walker, Paul Chalmers, John Hughes, but can you name the fourth Scottish player who was going to sign but returned to Scotland.

6. In the mid-1950’s, apart from the dog track in Skewen where else did the Swans play some of their Welsh League matches.

Webmaster

Comments

• Hi Colin

Really good questions.  

I'll step over qs 1 & 2. 

For q3, Tony Cottey & Len Hill spring to mind and I'm pretty sure Trevor Ford fielded as a substitute in the famous Gary Sobers 6 sixes game at St Helens, but he doesn't qualify as a 1960s Swans player.  Jim Presdee's too early.  I'll have another think.

The answer to q4 is Ken Sweet.  Short-lived spell, as I believe Jimmy McLaughlin took on that role not long after.

The answer to q5 is full back Jackie O'Donnell, who went back to Berwick Rangers and was a long server there.

Q6 is quite tough!  I'll come back to that one.
  • edited May 9
    niallo11 said:
    Hi Colin

Really good questions.  

I'll step over qs 1 & 2. 

For q3, Tony Cottey & Len Hill spring to mind and I'm pretty sure Trevor Ford fielded as a substitute in the famous Gary Sobers 6 sixes game at St Helens, but he doesn't qualify as a 1960s Swans player.  Jim Presdee's too early.  I'll have another think.

The answer to q4 is Ken Sweet.  Short-lived spell, as I believe Jimmy McLaughlin took on that role not long after.

The answer to q5 is full back Jackie O'Donnell, who went back to Berwick Rangers and was a long server there.

Q6 is quite tough!  I'll come back to that one.
    Niall,
    I included Pressdee in one of the three cricketers and the only other one I can think that played for Glamorgan C.C.C was Joe Hills in the late twenties, early thirties.
    Donny Payne and Geoff Thomas were excellent local cricketers as were a number of footballers in the fifties and sixties, but didn't play at a higher level than the local Central League and South Wales & Mon competitions
  • Colin, here's a new quiz question... The ground attendance record for three clubs (one in the Football League now, two ex Football League) was set in games against the Swans. Can you name them?
  • One is Peterborough Utd F A cup  1965 ,
  • Hi Colin , there was a George Harris who played one game for Glamorgan in 1932 , 
    He played in goal for Mansfield , later played for the Swans ,
    After retiring  he joined the South Wales Constabulary  , he lived in Swansea  before his death .
  • Malc,
    have you got any more info on George Harris. Was he an ex-Guarsdman who lived in the Uplands
  • Colin ,
    Only information  George  Joseph  Harris ( 1904 - 1988 ) 
    He was born in Underwood , Nottinghamshire , and was the older brother  of Nottinghamshire batsman  Charles Harris .

When he moved to Wales George joined  Swansea Town , he later played for Briton Ferry .

Hope this helps ,
  • I seem to recall Dilwyn John having a couple of reserve team run outs as a striker in the late 1960s. Also later became a pro snooker player.
  • Malc said:
    Colin ,
    Only information  George  Joseph  Harris ( 1904 - 1988 ) 
    He was born in Underwood , Nottinghamshire , and was the older brother  of Nottinghamshire batsman  Charles Harris .

When he moved to Wales George joined  Swansea Town , he later played for Briton Ferry .

Hope this helps ,
    Thanks Malc
  • Garbo said:
    I seem to recall Dilwyn John having a couple of reserve team run outs as a striker in the late 1960s. Also later became a pro snooker player.
    Well done Garbo
  • TonyC said:
    Colin, here's a new quiz question... The ground attendance record for three clubs (one in the Football League now, two ex Football League) was set in games against the Swans. Can you name them?
    One was Barrow in the F A Cup in 1954.
    I would guess the other to be Merthyr Town , also in the cup.
  • You are right about Barrow and Malc was correct about Peterborough - one more to go.
  • TonyC said:
    You are right about Barrow and Malc was correct about Peterborough - one more to go.
    How about Aberdare Athletic ? Surely the other will have a Welsh connection.
  • No, 200 miles to the North!  South Shields in the 1920s (who then became Gateshead who survived in the League until about 1960).
  • My question  is name the 5 players John Bond signed for the Swans in March 1985
  • Hi @Malc, I would guess they were Ray McHale, Derek Parlane, Paul Price, Robin Turner and Tommy Hutchinson
  • Hi Arch_Stanton , First three correct  , last two incorrect  ,
  • I thought Bond did bring in Robin Turner, but was Colin Sullivan another signing?
  • You are right about Turner , he was signed late March,  I should have double checked , the five were signed from  late January  , apologies  for error  ,
  • Powell, Fisher, Waddle, Sullivan, Turner
  • Gary Williams ,   Ray McHale,  Paul Price , Derek Parlane , Barry Powell ,
  • Malc,
    Price, McHale, Parlane, Williams and Powell were signed in January and February '85, while Fisher, Waddle, Sullivan and Turner were signed in March '85.
  • edited May 19
    Both of these former Swans celebrate their birthday today.  Can you name them?

• Looks like Brad Maylett and  Marvin Emnes ,
  • David Edgar & Kevin Amankwah.
    Webmaster
  • Well done , you are  correct .
    Webmaster
  • 1. Name the first team keeper apart from Johnny King who made regular appearances in the Swans Football Combination at centre forward. 

2. The Swans have always been known as having players in their squads with family connections, brothers, uncles, father and son etc., but can you name the three pairs of brothers who played in the same Swans Football Combination or Welsh League teams in the 60’s but who, one or both brothers, never played for the Swans first team. 

3. Can you name the three County cricketers who have played for the Swans since the early 60’s.

4. Swans secretary Gordon Daniels was a long serving club secretary at the Vetch Field in two periods between the early sixties and early 80’s, but can you name the former Football League referee who took over from him in January 1973.

5. Swans chairman Dough Sharpe signed three players from North of the Border in season 1989/90, Keith Walker, Paul Chalmers, John Hughes, but can you name the fourth Scottish player who was going to sign but returned to Scotland.

6. In the mid-1950’s, apart from the dog track in Skewen where else did the Swans play some of their Welsh League matches.

Apologies for being a bit late with some of the answers but here they are.

1-Dilwyn John

2-Apart from the Screens, Willie and Anthony, the 3 pairs of brothers were- Alan and Glen Davies, Steve and Paul Kiley, John and Don Payne

3-Jim Pressdee, Len Hill and Anthony Cottey

4-Ken Sweet

5-Jackie O'Donnell

6-Elba Ground, Crumlyn Burrows

• I didn't know that about the Elba Ground!