Football betting site Betway

Match Discussion: Millwall v Swans - Championship 2019/20

edited July 1 in Swansea City
This is the place to discuss all things related to the Millwall v Swans Championship game on Tuesday, 30 June 2020 at 5pm.

Referee James Linington will be assisted by Darren Blunden and Lee Venamore, with Keith Stroud the 4th Official for the game.

Have a browse of the Millwall v Swansea City Head to Head Statistics since their first meeting in 1921.

Share your pre and post match thoughts, views on Steve Cooper's pre or post match comments, team selection and don't forget to submit your score prediction for our Swansea City Prediction League.

The game is also being shown live on Sky Sports, as well as Swans TV.

Comments

• Some Swans fans will probably remember James Linington from when he sent off three (yes three!) Swans players during a League Cup game against Scunthorpe in August 2009.

Garry Monk, Gorka Pintado and Angel Rangel, were all given their marching orders in a farcical game that saw the Swans lose 2-1 after extra time. Stephen Dobbie went off injured, with the Swans having no substitutions left.

The Swans were then reduced to six players when Besian Idrizaj went off injured, with referee Linington accused of forcing the Austrian back onto the pitch in order to avoid abandoning the game, leaving Swans boss Paulo Sousa fuming.

bigoak
  • well lads and lasses as per usual when we are on tv not holding my breath tomorrow as we rarely play well and usually come off second best so come on boys PROVE me wrong
  • If Bersant is picked,  he will be on a strop and play a blinder, got to be a reaction to that guff on sat so I'm predicting a swans win. :smiley: yes I have been drinking  :joy:
  • The whole team was incredibly flat on Saturday - so expect some fresh legs.. Naughton Rodon Dyer Routledge Dhanda Byers Celina all in with a good shout to start. 
    in large part tomorrow is a cup final for us - lose and we can start to plan for next season as a championship club.
    If Celina does not start and remains mysteriously absent for "tactical" reasons we will be very sure that Cooper cannot stomach having him in the team.
    SeaJackbigoak
  • Really tough game tonight , Gary Rowett has done a pretty good job there  , 

The game at the Liberty saw them press us really high and stopped us playing , they passed the ball well and caused us problems  , they were well organised  and deserved  their victory .

I think  we need some more experience tonight , maybe recalls for Naughton , Rodon , Routledge  ,
    Let's hope we start on the front foot , 
    bigoak
  • The previous games result has definitely turned tonight’s match into a make or break moment in our season. Pride needs to be instilled into the players by reminding them that our noisy neighbours are above us and in the play offs to boot.
  • Rodon has to start. I would also love to see Van The Man back. 
    That partnership is one of the best in The Championship, perfect against Millwall. 
    We look a more balanced side with Naughton, so feel SC will bring him in for Roberts, who has gone backwards under his coaching. 
    Good enough for International football, but apparently, not for Cooper. 
    Personally I’d bring him in for Bidwell, who is a journeyman at best. 
    Having Ayew in front of you as a fullback, must be a nightmare. 
    I’ve lost count of CR making his trademark overlapping runs, only for Ayew to totally ignore him, and turn inside. 
    Celina is another sure start for me, but can’t see it happening, due to SC’s lack of man management skills. 
    When ever there’s a shocker of a performance, you question yourself with, was it the players or the manager’s fault?
    Either way, this game is probably last chance saloon for any hopes of a playoff spot. 
    So It’s time for both to step up to the plate with 3 pts. 

bigoakJackareme
  • It's an ambitious team selection, I'll give him that.
    Joe Rodon injured again?
    Roberts unlucky after 2 good performances since the return to action
  • Still no Celina. Are we playing 4-4-2 Dhanda & Gallagher two No 10's. Thought Coops only had a plan A
  • 4-4-2 for sure, and this looks like we have totally abandoned playing with wide men. I am all for a coach innovating with what we have - but lets not kid ourselves we are watching the "Swansea Way" disappear in the rear view mirror.
    on the plus side we have some real footballers on the pitch as long as we can get the ball down and pass it with a bit of pace and movement.
    Jeff_Cowbridge
  • It's an ambitious team selection, I'll give him that.
    Joe Rodon injured again?
    Roberts unlucky after 2 good performances since the return to action
    Well, actually, it's not "unlucky" at all - it's similar to the Celina situation. Unfortunately, Roberts will want to leave soon.
  • When you play with a 4 4 2 it is important to create width to move defenders around. This was actually the perfect game to play Connor as he could bomb forward as much as he likes with midfielders available to fill the spaces behind him.
    With Celina and Roberts the naughty step is getting crowded - it is ashamed that Cooper is picking our international talents for 'the treatment".
    Jeff_Cowbridge
  • Sky sports interview with Cooper VERY interesting - On Celina "we need every player focussed and committed" OUCH!
    On Rodon - might be gone for the season - and on that basis potentially played his last game in a Swans shirt. DOUBLE OUCH!!
  • Everyone's gonna remember that Grimes lost the ball for the goal (first at the mo). But watch George Byers effort to get goal side of the man who scores. I'm 51 and I would have got goal side of him. You didn't need to be Dan James. You just had to give a shit about it.
  • Sky commentators talking about us like we're a technical passing team having an off day. I give them 18 months before they notice this has been the norm.
    Jeff_CowbridgeJackareme
  • Wow... just wow. Not a good wow either 
  • I’ve said it before iff we’re going to play this style of football then we need two quick attacking full backs who are going to bomb forward and offer something both ours don’t offer anything they’re pointless they both just slow our possession game down 
  • Could make all 5 subs at half time. I'm boring myself saying this but don't tell me Dyer and Routs wouldn't be better than that. 90% of midfield passes have been to a defender.
  • edited June 30
    I would take off Grimes, Byers and Dhanda
    Replace with Fulton Celina and Dyer at half time.
    The passing has also been too uncontrolled and when one touch is required players are taken two or three.
    Milwalls passing a lot slicker....Shame!
    ColinNorthampton
  • Jackareme

Are we playing 4 4 2 ? Ayew has spent the majority of the game out wide on the right, leaving Brewster isolated in the middle. Surely in a 4 4 2, the 2 have to work together and off each other ? I see no evidence of any cohesion between the two.  I'm not sure the players know what they are supposed to be doing and neither does Cooper for that matter.
  • I wonder what the preparation meeting for this match was? Lets go away to a team that plays with 3 giant centre backs and set up without any width?? 
    Also Millwall score (as near as damn it) all their goals down their right hand side - so not only will we have no width down our left - but also we wont bother to give Bidwell any protection when defending.
    The players are trying - the coach is trying to me to the point where I am going to pick up my service revolver and walk into the woods.

• deekay said:
    Jackareme

Are we playing 4 4 2 ? Ayew has spent the majority of the game out wide on the right, leaving Brewster isolated in the middle. Surely in a 4 4 2, the 2 have to work together and off each other ? I see no evidence of any cohesion between the two.  I'm not sure the players know what they are supposed to be doing and neither does Cooper for that matter.
    No, we're playing the same shape as always.
  • Time to accept that we will not make the playoffs 
    Cooper should go and coach our U'23's
    Bring in a real manager 
    garythenotrashcougar
  • I would take off Grimes, Byers and Dhanda
    Replace with Fulton Celina and Dyer at half time.
    The passing has also been too uncontrolled and when one touch is required players are taken two or three.
    Milwalls passing a lot slicker....Shame!
    Got your wish taken Dhanda off, one of the only players to be put 100% into game

• 75 mins. Does Cooper genuinely believe at this stage that the best 11 for this moment is on the pitch?
  • Maybe that’s why Celina hasn’t been playing???
    moorlands
  • edited June 30
    Cooper hasn't got a clue.
    Grimes should not be on the pitch let alone captain.
    Byers was a waste of space
    Bidwell and Naughton too slow
    Absolute crap game by two crap sides
    lack of effort in going for the ball too much indecision on passing
    Too much time wasted passing the ball between the goal keeper on goal kicks playing one/two's with both central defenders
    No one trying to find space and no one man marking their players for throw ins most of the time.
    Whole team a waste of time again
    Not disappointed.
    Ashamed that these people who own and manage the club call this a football team.

Trevor birch clock watching must surely realise that this is all not good enough
    he must have been bored to death as was I.

Three games played and the Swans have actually only played okay for first 45 minutes in first game against a classless Middlesbrough.

• Celina's confidence is shot. Played out of position most of the season and in a structure that is more rigid that the Forth Road Bridge. 

Games coming thick and fast, players still searching for fitness and Cooper makes two substitutions, one of those forced on him. Didn't string two passes together for the 15 mins after the goal. Not sure we had any desire to win that game
  • I repeat - not for the first time this season - Potter would have had this squad in the top 3.

As it is, we have a rookie coach who is out of his depth, capable of nothing more than selecting 11 players and just hoping they provide flashes of individual inspiration. Sometimes it works, like at Boro. More often than not, it doesn't. 

Cooper's a likeable sort, but we should shake his hand in the summer and get someone in who really understands Swansea City and how we want to play. 
    enaitchJackaremeSeaJack