Football betting site Betway

Vote: Cooper or Leon/Tosh/Richards

Straightforward vote guys. Do you want one more year of Cooper or get Leon/Tosh/Richards back in and restore the Swansea Way so at least we see quality footie even if we are just mid table Championship.

VOTE

Comments

• edited June 30
    Ummm the second one.

Trouble is we'd have to pay compensation to take Toshack & Richards back.  :fearful:
    Can't see Birch bothering with that.

What a stupid mistake it was letting CT & GR slip away from us.
  • That's the trouble with job interviews- bullshit baffles brains !
  • Vote Cooper or a tin of beans..
  • All well and good that he won the U17 World Cup but that doesn't make you good enough to be a manager. Cooper is a coach and a coach only. 
  • He's got a tune out of some but sadly, not a note out of our most talented player, Besian.
    Chopping and changing was our downfall in the PL, I'd stick for now.
  • Jackareme said:
    Vote Cooper or a tin of beans..

Canna manage or cannellini  :smiley:
  • I don’t think we could afford another year with Tommy Cooper, as we’d be relegated. 
    And we can’t afford to get rid of him, because the Yanks wouldn’t want to pay another manager off. 
    The words rock and a hard place springs to mind. 
  • J4cka said:
    I don’t think we could afford another year with Tommy Cooper, as we’d be relegated. 
    And we can’t afford to get rid of him, because the Yanks wouldn’t want to pay another manager off. 
    The words rock and a hard place springs to mind. 
    if cooper staying = relegation the we can't afford not to get rid!
  • Can’t believe the same end of season garbage started already, same posters claiming we were going to be relegated this year. We haven’t done bad with the team of youngsters, better than most predicted. I’d rather stick with what we have for another year rather than wholesale changes again, I personally think we need some stability, bring some of the other youngsters through and try to build a team for the future. That’s not going to happen if we have to keep using so many loan players, Cooper hopefully will have learned something this year and I would like to see him have another season, you only have to look at teams below us to see that an experienced manager doesn’t guarantee you success. It’s the players that need to improve if we are to succeed ie, Celena for all of you that sing his praises like he’s our lost messiah, idiot can’t even get past anybody with the ball most of the time last nights game a perfect example, to many players only turn up every other game.  Could go on more but my fingers getting cramp I’ll let the debate continue, but be nice everybodies opinion matters.
  • opinions are like arse holes - everyone has them, and yes @Gingergit they all are valid - and everyone is entitled to one.
    However, nobody is entitled to their own facts - and the reality is that for the last 6 months we have been accumulating points at a rate that puts us in the relegation zone - and at least 4 of the players who are leading our team on all measurable statistics will no be here next season.
    Putting aside opinions (including our own) for a moment - what does that simple fact tell us all??
  • edited July 1
    @Gingergit I am always the half full kind. I thought we had a shot at play offs both seasons and havent been far off. But for once in my 60 years I think we need to part with Coops. We are going to lose 15 players this summer and I think his team selections visa vi Roberts/Naughton & Celina will bump that to 18 meaning an almost brand new back five. Benda, Cabango, Bidwell, ?, ?. Pretty much a brand new team so whatever he learned with this season squad well they will almost all be gone
  • lets say this is the 1st team
    Woodman
    Roberts, VDH, Rodon, Bidwell
    Fulton, Grimes
    Ayew, Gallagher, Celina
    Brewster

8 of those will be gone, that's a huge impact to your first eleven. Transfers in are hit and miss every season. Someone might look fantastic on paper and suck in reality. Who was that Bayern Mucih/Portugese youngster we brought. So replacing 8 of first 11 has me worried with just 2 wins in last 12 games with the quad we have got.
    enaitch
  • Your point I have an issue with @Gingergit is when you talk about Cooper having learned something from this season. He's learned absolutely nothing if you look from game 1 of the season to now. In fact it could be strongly argued that we've gone backwards despite the fact that in the second half of the season we've had arguably better players join our squad in the form of Brewster & Gallagher. When you are making the same mistakes over and over again which I believe Cooper is then you are obviously not recognising those mistakes which really concerns me. I totally admire your optimism but the majority of us can't be wrong can we ?
  • he's had three months to look over, and analyse any mistakes he will have made since the season began. Learn from them. Put new ideas into place.

I dont see anything new in his thinking.

His selections are questionable - Dhanda on the left wing? not subbing players, like Gallagher vs Luton. Having seen Ayew play better on the left, he sticks him back on the right against Millwall.

I dont think his tactics are that far off. But he is relying on young players to carry them out.

He wants a high press. The players dont do it often enough, or properly.

He wants possession, but not for passing sake. he wants the ball played forward earlier. but they need to know when the pass is on or not.

The players too often play the impossible ball - I think he is asking them to take risks. But they get picked off, and then we cant defend the counter attack. The midfield are two one paced to get back, or just dont bust their balls to get there - Byers proving that for Millwall's goal.

And they still haven't - like Potter to some extent - worked how to beat the hard press when we have the ball with the keeper, or stuck in the back 4. Millwall and Luton exploited that massively in the last 2 games.

• Agree with pretty much all your analysis @Mark_Jack_London. And I would add that the Championship is a division full of very evenly matched teams and a lot of very savvy and experienced coaches.Good coaches will do their home work and prepare their team to exploit the weaknesses of the opposition. A REALLY savvy coach understands this and will adapt the approach to create some differences and tactical evolution - causing problems for "in game management"
    Which brings me to Steve Cooper - I will let any one of a hundred posters (whose views I enjoy reading) complete this post - his predictability is spectacular. Nuff said.
  • Oh and while I am on a Canada Day piss up - the default tactics for a small team is to stretch the game (wide and long) and challenge the opposition with width, pace, movement and passing with the ball on the floor. You must make physically dominant players move around and have their mobility and speed challenged.
    I might be 8 beers in - but the starting point should not be using young, physically small players to arm wrestle with monsters. It is setting young players up to fail.
  • Angel Rangel as manager?
  • Bob said:
    Angel Rangel as manager?
    doesnt have his badges, does he. And why add another rookie. Surely we need someone who has more experience, not less, if we are going to roll the dice.
  • Leon didn't look comfortableto me  on the touchline in his games as caretaker a couple of years back.A lot more experience for him since then though.Perhaps it would work if they put together the right team.They would certainly have the right ethos and AR would certainly add a lot to that too.
  • Martinez did alright without any experience did he not @Mark_Jack_London ? Not sure whether he had his badges when HJ appointed him as our manager. Don't think they were a prerequisite in those days like they are now. Having said that I do agree that now is probably not the time for a rookie but maybe get him into the set-up as I'm confident that Rangel (unlike Monk) would play the Martinez way. At the end of the season I think Trevor Birch should go cap-in-hand to Toshack & Richards.
  • Has Rangel ever shown an interest in coaching/management? Swans fans seem to have latched onto the idea simply because he's an ageing player from the good old days.

If he were manager he'd play himself guaranteed.
    Mark_Jack_London
  • There are loads of ageing players from the good old days @jasper_T but there are very very few that I would consider to have management potential but Rangel is possibly one. I would say he's a reasonably intelligent man who comes from a country blessed in the art of football and knows our club philosophy as well as anyone. The fact he still lives in Swansea is also a plus point. I'm not advocating that he should be brought in immediately to replace Cooper but why not get him involved in the lower age range teams and see how he goes from there.
  • @Gardo Currently 37, 38 in Nov. I doubt QPR will give him another deal so he will be available when this season ends. Like others, eg tate, I can see the club bringing him on board in some capacity
    Jackareme
  • I genuinely think he would bring something to the party @Martyn
    Jackareme
  • Gardo said:
    There are loads of ageing players from the good old days @jasper_T but there are very very few that I would consider to have management potential but Rangel is possibly one. I would say he's a reasonably intelligent man who comes from a country blessed in the art of football and knows our club philosophy as well as anyone. The fact he still lives in Swansea is also a plus point. I'm not advocating that he should be brought in immediately to replace Cooper but why not get him involved in the lower age range teams and see how he goes from there.
    He'll have to start work on his qualifications to be able to work with the younger age groups in a Cat 1 academy. We've been letting bright young coaches with their early badges go, not got the budget to spare any more.
    Mark_Jack_London
  • Gardo said:
    Martinez did alright without any experience did he not @Mark_Jack_London ? Not sure whether he had his badges when HJ appointed him as our manager. Don't think they were a prerequisite in those days like they are now. Having said that I do agree that now is probably not the time for a rookie but maybe get him into the set-up as I'm confident that Rangel (unlike Monk) would play the Martinez way. At the end of the season I think Trevor Birch should go cap-in-hand to Toshack & Richards.
    the point is, we have a relatively inexperienced manager now, and it is showing. Will Angel fair any better? 

And it is academic, because I dont think he has his badges. 

Re: Toshack.
    Not sure what the situation is in Cyprus. Pafos were in the relegation play-offs before the lockdown and the league was cancelled.

They ended up 7th in the league. Top 6 play-off for the title. Bottom 6 for relegation.
    Record P22, W8 D6 L8 GD0
    Unbeaten in their last 5 games, winning 4 of them.

But what the finances are at the club is anyone's guess.