Home The Lounge

Old posters

Haven't been on here for quite a while, I made some good friends on the old site, but I drifted away when we changed over to here.
Anyone of the old posters still here ? (albeit maybe with different user names)

Comments

• Welcome back Verejack. I’m one of the later posters on here but I recognise you from when I used to just read rather than post here. Always used to think that you made some worthwhile contributions with your comments. Here’s to you doing so once again.
  • Thank you my friend, I'd forgotten my old password, obviously  it's sorted now so I expect I'll be posting on the site again,and hoping to be a valued poster here once more, although I'm still prone to the odd sh*te post, so apologies in advance. 

I may have deserted this site for a while, but I never deserted the Swans, still have my ST (albeit "live stream" atm)

• Vera come and have a beer up the palleg with the lads!
  • Ok if You're buying mate ?
  • There’s a bottle of peroni behind the bar for you! 
  • Welcome back Vera, how’s your butty Rob keeping
  • I'm a Gary Martin veteran
  • Hi Colin, Rob is doing fine mate , we still meet up for a drink on match days, obviously not for a while now, hopefully we'll be doing the same when this is all over (although we won't be having a post match drink in Frankie & Benny's anymore).

How are things with you, and what's your thoughts on the present manager and the team (I'm not confident in his management abilities if I'm honest) but it is what it is. 
  • In all honesty Vera, after the opening 45 minutes today and expecting my daughter and grand daughter over for Sunday dinner(no different to the spread my wife provides for Xmas dinner but no party hats!) I decided to spend the second half in the garden. I have had enough, pure shait to be honest with you and yes, the record books will show a 2-1 win but etched in my mind is the continued ineptitude of a team in a white shirt who are incapable of putting together a performance over two halves. 

Yes, SC reverted to a formation of 3 at the back that I have been championing, but the totally non-existence of players in white shirts working passing movements and creating opportunities in front of goal was non-existent, against what was an extremely poor Wednesday side who missed two good chances from what I saw in the first half to take the lead. 

Have our fans got to the stage where we can grasp at straws at a 2-1 win and continue to dream of a Play Off place, or should we be demanding a modicum of entertainment for the prices we pay to see these highly paid professional footballers. All I can see, and I can make comparisons to what happened in years gone by is that unless this drab, insipid style of play is addressed, there will be a steady decline of fans unwilling to continue to watch the shait we witnessed today, whatever excuses that can be given, injuries, young squad, fitness problems, etc., etc.

Just remember one thing, Potter soaked up the most likely academy hopefuls last season to first team duty but the direction the academy is going, within the next twelve months there will most probably be no young professionals ready to make the impact previous young pros have made.

Jeff_CowbridgedeekaySeaJack
  • As much as I'd like to disagree with you, I just can't.
    Although I do think we have some talented players, I really liked Gallagher when he was with Charlton, and was proper excited when I heard he was joining us, unfortunately, he's regressed since coming here, Cellina, one of our most talented players the same, Peterson a player with drive and full of attacking intent, sent out on loan,  is it just  coincidence or is it bad coaching ? 

Brewster has done extremely well whilst living off scraps, Ayew should be playing a more central role just behind the striker (but that's just my personal opinion rather than fact) I won't even hazard a guess as to Wayne's selection and his field position, crazy. 

There just doesn't seem to be any cohesiveness, movement, anticipation to make space, or move forward fast and in numbers when an opposition attack breaks down, that's got to be down to coaching.

Today, Barry Bannan their excellent playmaker was given the absolute freedom of the midfield, did our coach not know of his abilities ? did he not even notice it during the game ? if he didn't, I'm sure everyone watching did.

Play offs ? no way I'm afraid, but, as a swans fan there's always hope, and sometimes  that's all we have.

SeaJackJackareme
  • verajack said:
    Haven't been on here for quite a while, I made some good friends on the old site, but I drifted away when we changed over to here.
    Verajack! lovely to see you back! last time I heard from you, you were regaling us with the 'electronic advertising boards' fiasco.....very humorously, I seem to remember.  ;)
  • In all honesty Vera, after the opening 45 minutes today and expecting my daughter and grand daughter over for Sunday dinner(no different to the spread my wife provides for Xmas dinner but no party hats!) I decided to spend the second half in the garden. I have had enough, pure shait to be honest with you and yes, the record books will show a 2-1 win but etched in my mind is the continued ineptitude of a team in a white shirt who are incapable of putting together a performance over two halves. 

Yes, SC reverted to a formation of 3 at the back that I have been championing, but the totally non-existence of players in white shirts working passing movements and creating opportunities in front of goal was non-existent, against what was an extremely poor Wednesday side who missed two good chances from what I saw in the first half to take the lead. 

Have our fans got to the stage where we can grasp at straws at a 2-1 win and continue to dream of a Play Off place, or should we be demanding a modicum of entertainment for the prices we pay to see these highly paid professional footballers. All I can see, and I can make comparisons to what happened in years gone by is that unless this drab, insipid style of play is addressed, there will be a steady decline of fans unwilling to continue to watch the shait we witnessed today, whatever excuses that can be given, injuries, young squad, fitness problems, etc., etc.

Just remember one thing, Potter soaked up the most likely academy hopefuls last season to first team duty but the direction the academy is going, within the next twelve months there will most probably be no young professionals ready to make the impact previous young pros have made.

not all have your dim negative view Colin.....this forum is awash in it. We've played decent football in periods, ok so not consistently, but i'm the only person on here talking about mitigating circumstances....pandemic, no crowds, no training in 3 months. a totally new environment, plus a very young inexperienced squad in a league of experienced pros....... and all you're doing is demanding to be 'entertained'. 
    That sums up our society in a time of crisis. 

Gingergit
  • Pablo,
    perhaps in hindsight the word entertainment is not quite appropriate at this moment in time but the basic point of my criticism is that there is absolutely very little difference in the inconsistent, sterile manner of play during the 90 minutes while the excuses you put forward shouldn't apply. There have been very few matches since October where fans have seen a form of consistency during 90 minutes rather than flashes of form90 minute performance and as such its that lack of consistency which will ultimately decide fans to spend their hard earned cash on match tickets, be they a season or match by match.
  • Nothing that happened in the first part of the season gave me any reason to believe that we were genuine play-off contenders. My only hope was that the experience in the Bundesliga restart was that the absence of crowd and training ground atmosphere seemed to work in favour of the more technically adept teams and the relative lack of fitness seemed to work against the more physical players.

Unfortunately, aside from 45 minutes at Boro you wouldnt know that we are capable of playing crisp passing football. Roberts, Grimes, Celina, and Byers who were instrumental in the positive things we say last season all appear to have regressed.

As per Colin, I found the first half yesterday unbearable and was sincerely regretting staying in on a pleasant sunny afternoon to watch something that totally lacked any interest. The worst thing was that I couldnt even see what they were trying to accomplish. There were many inconsistent results and performances last season but at least you could see what Potter was aiming to achieve. Looking backwards to our previous spell in the Championship Paulo Sousa copped some stick for using possession as a means of defence but at lease there was a recognisable pattern of passing football and defensive shape that was later built upon by Brendon. Yesterday I saw nothing to offer much hope that we are progressing. Sadly its not the only time this has happened this season.

Matters improved somewhat after the break but its difficult to summon up much enthusiasm  for something so obviously flawed. We probably need at lease four wins to have any chance of the play-offs but I'm not holding my breath.
  • Pablo said:
    verajack said:
    Verajack! lovely to see you back! last time I heard from you, you were regaling us with the 'electronic advertising boards' fiasco.....very humorously, I seem to remember.  ;)
    And the last time I heard from you, you were spouting the same old nonsense, anyway I'll just ignore you in future, and I'd be grateful if you did  the same to me, stay safe.
  • I'm back too,dear friends
    Pablo
  • Archieartex was the best poster

• Now that’s a name that is a blast from the past Llwchwrjack.

It’d be great to have a where are they now thread asking that self same question.

The first question that I’d like to ask is why they stopped posting followed by whether or not they still dip into the forum for a read of the posts without posting themselves?

Also whether they still watch the Swans and how involved they feel now in comparison to previous seasons?

• Could have gone to the big forum in the sky , sadly many fans from everywhere will no longer be with us ,

So to everyone keep safe and we will meet up again when it is safe .

• edited October 2020

wow hadn't seen that before....cheers! for that - made my day!.... blind hatred yet never even met me! what a sign of the kind of world we live in. I hope you feel proud of yourself Verajack.

• Great that you're around Cecil, missed your humour! and back up!

• You’re right Malc. That came to mind after I posted my comments. Let’s hope not but RIP to anyone who as you say could have passed away.