Football betting site Betway

The Championship - Post Lockdown League Table

I apologise lads/lasses if this has already appeared in another thread...

But I thought it was interesting for those who hadn't seen it, to view this post-Lockdown Championship Table.
Hopefully it posts, the way it was saved, on this forum?

The post-lockdown Championship table
1. Leeds United - P 9; GD +16; Pts 22
2. Brentford - P 9; GD +11; Pts 21
3. Cardiff City - P 9; GD +8; Pts 19
4. Wigan Athletic - P 9; GD +13; Pts 18
5. Swansea City - P 9; GD +8; Pts 17
6. Fulham - P 9; GD +2; Pts 17
7. Luton Town - P 9; GD 0; Pts 16
8. Barnsley - P 9; GD 0; Pts 15
9. Millwall - P 9; GD +2; Pts 14
10. Stoke City - P 9; GD +0; Pts 14
11. West Brom - P 9; GD +5; Pts 13
12. Derby County - P 9; GD -2; Pts 13
13. Middlesbrough - P 9; GD -3; Pts 12
14. Preston - P 9; GD 0; Pts 10
15. Nottingham Forest - P 9; GD -2; Pts 10
16. Blackburn Rovers - P 9; GD -4; Pts 10
17. Huddersfield Town - P 9; GD -5; Pts 9
18. Charlton Athletic - P 9; GD -5; Pts 9
19. Reading - P 9; GD -3; Pts 8
20. Bristol City - P 9; GD -3; Pts 8
21. Sheffield Wednesday - P 9; GD -5; Pts 8
22. Queens Park Rangers - P 9; GD -5; Pts 8
23. Hull City - P 9; GD -16; Pts 4
24. Birmingham City - P 9; GD -12; Pts 3

Interesting eh?

Now don't get me wrong, I've offered lots of criticisms of Steve Cooper during this season, so I'm not sold on his coaching style and many on here, better qualified to pass judgements on him than me, have raised significant points, as to why we didn't do better than a P/O place.

However, after that pulsatingly exciting end to the season last night, a season when most of us felt we'd probably struggle, especially without Oli and Dan. You have to say the results of the 9 post lockdown matches, shows our record is pretty damn good.

By that I mean, 9 matches, times 5, = 45 matches (plus one more) which makes up a season.

So, our 17 points, times 5, = 85 points over 'a season,' with one match left to play. Automatic promotion form undoubtedly.

Have we collectively been a tad unfair on Cooper, it is after all, only his first season in professional football.

Anyway, let's all enjoy the Play-Offs and thrash those Bloooooturds in the Final Wembley showpiece.
Jackaremebarry

Comments

• Will you be breaking out the lucky chefs outfits @TimBowen?
  • If our form in the first and last months of the season had gone on all season long no one would have been complaining. On the face of it looks like the break/rest did us a big favour (as it did with Leeds who were wobbling), as did the injuries forcing the change in system.
    Jackareme
  • @TimBowen

I don't think anyone on this site has been particularly unfair to Cooper.

From what I see, most criticism been tempered, justified, carefully considered and often offered reluctantly. 

It's the hardest thing in the world to find fault in your own team - for a very long time, I was in denial about what Garry Monk was doing to us on the pitch. As the smash and grab 1-0 wins grew, I didn't want to see it, I didn't want to believe it, I didn't want to admit it, I wanted to find any scrap of evidence to disprove it. But in the end, I had to admit the evidence of my own eyes. Since then I've been very wary of getting too excited with subsequent managers until if/when I can see strong evidence that they aren't employing a direct football style. 

For me, it's been the same with Cooper most of the season - I've not gone into the season looking to dig him out, but I had concerns about the tactics right from the off, I was consistent with that even during the first 6 games when we were winning. All season, I've simply reacted to what I've seen with my own eyes. 

No one wants it more than me for the Swans to carry the current momentum forward and win the playoffs, but even if that happens it doesn't mean I suddenly forget or sweep under the carpet the many concerns I still have about Cooper. 
    SVJackJackaremeWynSeaJack
  • Jackareme said:
    Will you be breaking out the lucky chefs outfits @TimBowen?
    Hello 'J' mate, how's the family in the SA18 area? Plus of course you and yours in 'W.' (Or have you moved?)

The mates I was with when we met, have mentioned 'booking' for Uxbridge again...what a shame this accursed pandemic means we'll miss out on that spectacular extravaganza again, WHEN we get to the Final, just like during those halcyon days of May 2011. I was trying to remember the pub we met in, The Fig Leaf I think? It was a truly incredible weekend 'J' mate. 

And yet, there's a number of parallels and omens doing the rounds, that link our 2011 Play-Off battle, with this current campaign. One or two that quickly comes to mind of course, was playing Brentford in the P/O Semi-Final, winning over the two legs with Leon Knight scoring a brace in Griffin Park 2006.  More strikingly though, are four of the teams that were involved in 2011, will have been 'involved' in the line up for this season's P/O too. Forest and Reading, albeit indirectly, with 'some team in blue' and, the 'Mighty Jacks' of course.

Believe it or not 'J' of our 10 that dressed up, I certainly still have my black 'n white chef's outfit, worn during that never to be forgotten day v Reading. Being an old sentimental git, I can't bring myself to throw it away, it's part of my Swans memorabilia now.  Probably best, as it may be a bit tight wearing it now.

People have spoken about how this incredible set of last day results enabled us to win through to the Play-Offs. That much is true. But then qualifying matters, by saying how it's as far as we'll get, with Brentford crushing us in the Semi's.  

However, I can remember being there for the last day of the season in the 1987-1988 season and being 10th going into that last game. Again a truly stunning set of results meant we sneaked into the P/O's. Playing the 'Brentford equivalent' of the time, Torquay United, over two legs (no Wembley in those days).

The Swans were given a restricted fan allocation of 300 (Due to some 'naughties' in Torquay, a visit or two prior to it). So the club held a lottery of Season Ticket holders, to see who would get one of those tickets. I was one of the fortunate ones, I won a ticket. But a number of close mates didn't. Then the club printed the names (and more importantly for me) the addresses of the other winners in the Evening Post. 

So armed with the phone book, I tracked down some of those winners, rung them up and bought the tickets of the ones that couldn't attend the match. Eventually I got a mini-bus full of us to Plainmoor, for that P/O Final Second Leg match. 
    Which as we all know, after winning 2-1 in the Vetch, we drew 3-3 on a torrentially rainy day in the English Riviera, to win Final 5-4 on aggregate.

Torquay finished about 10 points ahead of us that season and were, like some say Brentford are now, 'red hot' favourites. But the Mighty Swans prevailed and will again on Sunday and the following Wednesday.

The Jacks are going up 'J' mate! What a shame we can't meet up in Uxbridge again, to savour the occasion eh?    

SeaJack
  • Actually, after Googling it, the Uxbridge pub was the Fig TREE not leaf.
  • Hi @TimBowen.. Yes great memories of an unforgettable time. Amazingly enough I was at Plainmoor as well - my father and I had season tickets and we "won" one ticket. My father took one for the team and let me go - although i was just 16, to catch pneumonia on the English Riviera.
    Since that memorable day at Wembley I have swapped SA1 for Canada  - and have managed to get home most years for a few games (including the League Cup final) - but am very thankful for my Swans TV subscription and a dodgy Polish guy (friend of my neighbour) who operates a TV hacking system out of his basement that basically gets me any game with a camera at it (this means that at least I get to see every ball kicked) - it has been like 7 years of COVID for me watching from my basement.
    We have an awesome record at the new Wembley, and should we get there the pitch would suit us better than Cardiff (at least I hope) but while I see our Brentford tie a coin flip based on our momentum and different style v Brentford's attacking threat - I find it hard to see Cardiff get past Fulham over two legs.
    Great to see you back on this site mate - if we get to Wembley get the chefs whites expanded so you can wear them while watching the final on the telly..COYS!!!

• I still rue the fact that I wasn’t there at the Wembley final that catapulted us into the Premier League. Seeing it on TV doesn’t quite stir the memories as powerfully as seeing it at the stadium. Even so, what a day it was. Not comprehending the result in full, watching and after the game reminiscing in disbelief. A quite spectacular rise to the top. A rise that the medium of film has yet to do justice to. And so now again we go “once more unto the breach dear friends, once more, a victory at the play off finals beckons once more.”
  • SeaJack said:
    I still rue the fact that I wasn’t there at the Wembley final that catapulted us into the Premier League. Seeing it on TV doesn’t quite stir the memories as powerfully as seeing it at the stadium. Even so, what a day it was. Not comprehending the result in full, watching and after the game reminiscing in disbelief. A quite spectacular rise to the top. A rise that the medium of film has yet to do justice to. And so now again we go “once more unto the breach dear friends, once more, a victory at the play off finals beckons once more.”
    It was a hell of a game to watch live. The most nervous I’ve ever been watching sport 
    SeaJack
  • I was more nervous  watching the semi final against Forest  , 2 nil up they score and then I think Rob Earnshaw  hits the post , I was sitting not to far away from the Forest fans and when they scored it was almost deafing  , and then one of their players mis kick on the edge of our box and Pratley  scores and goes into folklore  ,

The final and going 3 nil up was a bit different  , they scored 2 early goals , then Monky made the block , was confident  we were the better side and would win , we had the best team and players and how good was Sinclair with the pens 
    SeaJack