Football betting site Betway

Summer Transfer Window 2020

edited October 17 in Swansea City
This is the place to discuss all Swansea City transfer related discussions during the 2020 Summer transfer window.

The transfer window will open at midnight on Monday, 27 July 2020.

The window for international registrations closes at 11pm on Monday 5 October 2020, with an agreement in place with the Premier League for an extended two-week domestic only window which will close at 5pm on Friday 16 October 2020.

Any player registered before the completion of the 2019/20 season will not be eligible to play for their new Club until season 2020/21 commences.  This is applicable to Clubs involved in the Sky Bet Championship Play-Offs.

Comments

• Tom Lockyer is available on a free transfer as a result of a clause in his contract if Charlton were relegated.

Only 25. If VdH leaves, definitely worth looking at!
  • Bit small for the PL.
    Jackareme
  • jasper_T said:
    Bit small for the PL.
    Don't know he will come up against more bigger lumps in the Premier league than in the Championship. Mobility is the key and if we stay in the Championship well he is used to that. 
  • @Garbo has seen a lot of Charlton this year. 

Maybe he can give a report on what he has seen of Lockyer. 

The player will know of our interest before he signed for Charlton. And the likes of Rodon and Roberts will be able to talk to him about such a move.
  • The price is right, but from the limited number of matches, Ive seen of Charlton and him this season. He doesnt seem to have the passing DNA we should be looking for.

Someone more like Guehi ( plus a couple of inches height ) would be more in keeping with our DNA.
  • Hopefully his wages will be within our budget
  • I think we should have learnt our lesson now. Never buy a player that's just been relegated to a lower division.  J Ayew, Olsen, Fer didn't help us stay up did they and we never got promoted by taking on relegated players either
    garythenotrashcougarBobPablo
  • Not really Phillip, it’s all about judgement and the players around him. 
    Pablo
  • Not really Phillip, it’s all about judgement and the players around him. 
    Well the record isn't good apart from those mentioned. Mawson was relegated with Barnsley, Clucus with Hull, none have gone on to be great players. Fer and Olson were habitual relegation players. So the judgement was wrong and the management who thought they would be a good fit. You just don't agree with anything I put on here even when these signings were either bog standard or just not up to the job. Name one player we took from a relegated club that either was a fantastic success with us or won anything with another club.  
    Pablo
  • James Milner went on to have a half decent career @Phillip

Milner's
     talent in football, cricket, and long-distance running was recognised at a young age. He represented his school in these sports and played football for amateur teams from Rawdon and Horsforth. ... After Leeds United were relegated at the end of the 2003–04 season, Milner was sold to Newcastle United.

• Phillip,

Our DoF once stated that we wouldn't be signing players from clubs that had been relegated but when the brown started to hit the fan who did we sign. Yes you are right, Fer, Olsson, Mawson and Clucus. 

All four players kept the club in the PL during the 2016/17 season but lo and behold what happened, another change of manager and the team started drifting.

Was the much maligned Clucus that bad a player or does he suffer the wrath of our fans for the price we paid for him. A hard working, attacking goalscoring left side midfielder who all of a sudden Paul Clement felt he should be playing on occasion at left back or in a defensive midfield position rather than in the one he made an impression at Hull in. 12 goals this season in his natural position at Stoke and certainly made a fool of our team on two occasions this season.

We never signed players from relegated clubs prior to those four because we had a stable team and managers(Roberto, Brendan, Laudrup) who decided who they wanted and all our DoF had to do then was ensure there was cash to bring them in. But from the time we started to flirt with relegation our DoF began to believe, along with the agents he was in tow with, that he could spot a player. The calibre of our DoF was seen after Laudrup was sacked when we brought in David N'Gog and the following season Nelson Oliveira.

SeaJackmoorlandsdeekayPablo
  • the mistake we made with Clucas was we should have signed Grosicki! 

Clucas was also played out of position by Clement. You dont buy a player and then not play him in the position he was successful in!

Mawson's issue is not talent, but injury. 

Olsen was a decent attacking left back.

Fer I was never a fan of. Bags of talent, but lazy with it - as Norwich fans warned us about. 
    SeaJackSVJackPablo
  • Phillip said:
    Never buy a player that's just been relegated to a lower division. 
    So Newcastle were mugs to buy Fernandez (51 appearances in two seasons) and West Ham fools to purchase Fabianski (63 games)? Surely depends on the player, the price and what the club needs.

SeaJackFyldeJackJackaremebarryPablo
  • Jordan Ayew is another who has done great this season 
    Player of the season , players player of the season   goal of the season ,
    Pablo
  • Jackareme said:
    James Milner went on to have a half decent career @Phillip

Milner's
     talent in football, cricket, and long-distance running was recognised at a young age. He represented his school in these sports and played football for amateur teams from Rawdon and Horsforth. ... After Leeds United were relegated at the end of the 2003–04 season, Milner was sold to Newcastle United.

We didn't sign Milner though, he started that season on loan to Swindon and was recalled at 17 to a struggling Leeds team, a great player but hardly a comparison to what we signed  
  • @Phillip my apologies we will just stick with Fabianski and Jordan Ayew then.
  • Cadleigh said:
    Phillip said:
    So Newcastle were mugs to buy Fernandez (51 appearances in two seasons) and West Ham fools to purchase Fabianski (63 games)? Surely depends on the player, the price and what the club needs.

Cadleigh said:
    Phillip said:

Cadleigh said:
    Phillip said:

Read what I said, none of those who left won anything, Fernandez is a great player and so is Fabianski both playing in struggling teams. Ayew has done better this year than last and plays in a team just about mid table.  Ayew is also the only one out of those relegated twice. Villa and us.  We also survived one season with Fer and Olson as some mentioned but without Loriennte, Siggy and Cork it was harder or impossible. Ayew was no replacement for the Spaniard, Fer or Clucus weren't as good as Cork or Siggy and Olson worse than Taylor.

Buying bad replacements from relegated teams doesn't work that proved it. Throw in a few poor managers and its a recipe for disaster.

This year we lost McBurnie and James, Gallagher is a far more all rounder than James, Brewster is a class above McBurnie but unfortunately we don't own them, if we want to keep them another year, we have to get promoted and also keep the best we have.

Failing that, its back to the bargain basement, which hasn't done us much good lately.

If we are to buy from relegated teams then pick Wigan, who have some class players and were only relegated on financial mis management not football    
  • Jackareme said:
    @Phillip my apologies we will just stick with Fabianski and Jordan Ayew then.
    What have they won? that's what I said, haven't won anything and they haven't.  In fact Joe Allen is possibly the only tidy player we sold that came runner up in the league. 

If we had signed him instead of Clucus, I believe we wouldn't have gone  and Stoke would have been finished by Xmas
    JackaremeSeaJack
  • There are a couple of principles at play here, do you go for the older established player with PL experience or the younger up and coming player with significant growth potential.

Also I believe Bielsa has proven again that not enough of the improvement coaching of individual players is happening in football. So most players have untapped potential, but younger players are easier to mould.

The ideal is you find the gems which are undervalued, at any age, which must have the core skills of our team, and individual skills required of their positions. There are some more intangible skills/issues required amongst which for me are being coachable, not a history of injuries, and if possible leadership potential.

There are pros and cons. The experienced player may have too much experience of being in a team that loses consistently, whereas the younger player may not have enough experience to know how to win in the big important matches.

The truth is you generally need a blend and the skill is finding undervalued players who are playing well, in perhaps unfashionable teams in unfashionable places, but nevertheless teams who are performing well.

We have started that journey, as thats exactly how we found our last two managers, and individual criticisms aside both have performed well. Just to stop the deluge, I dont like all elements of either managers' approaches however I believe you have to defy the evidence to say that they havent performed well.

We are a selling club and we will be a selling club for the foreseeable future, so we need to embrace it and get good at identifying undervalued players with real development potential. Brentford are taking that approach (but are a little too tranactional for my taste) so a variant of that approach would suit us.

So for this end of season, we need to focus on carefully assembling a team who are capable of being Champions of the Championship, no matter what league we end up in.
    Colin_swansea
  • JackRaven said:
    There are a couple of principles at play here, do you go for the older established player with PL experience or the younger up and coming player with significant growth potential.

Also I believe Bielsa has proven again that not enough of the improvement coaching of individual players is happening in football. So most players have untapped potential, but younger players are easier to mould.

The ideal is you find the gems which are undervalued, at any age, which must have the core skills of our team, and individual skills required of their positions. There are some more intangible skills/issues required amongst which for me are being coachable, not a history of injuries, and if possible leadership potential.

There are pros and cons. The experienced player may have too much experience of being in a team that loses consistently, whereas the younger player may not have enough experience to know how to win in the big important matches.

The truth is you generally need a blend and the skill is finding undervalued players who are playing well, in perhaps unfashionable teams in unfashionable places, but nevertheless teams who are performing well.

We have started that journey, as thats exactly how we found our last two managers, and individual criticisms aside both have performed well. Just to stop the deluge, I dont like all elements of either managers' approaches however I believe you have to defy the evidence to say that they havent performed well.

We are a selling club and we will be a selling club for the foreseeable future, so we need to embrace it and get good at identifying undervalued players with real development potential. Brentford are taking that approach (but are a little too tranactional for my taste) so a variant of that approach would suit us.

So for this end of season, we need to focus on carefully assembling a team who are capable of being Champions of the Championship, no matter what league we end up in.
    Good points, Bielsa has taken a team going nowhere added few and changed their style and philosophy, they are the fittest, fastest, hard pressing team with everyone working together as a unit.   They might do OK next year because burning out in the Premier league wont be as difficult as most teams allow time on the ball. They might just upset a few 
    JackRaven
  • I am personally very happy that we have an option for Mark Guehi to return for next season. After taking a ton of flak "early doors" this young man has visibly grown game by game and again tonight he was superb.
    Congratulations to him for developing and improving at a very impressive rate. 
    Along with Cabango and Rodon we have 3 very high quality central defenders - and if we cash n on Rodon, then we will have the opportunity to recruit or promote Brandon Cooper.
  • Jackareme said:
    I am personally very happy that we have an option for Mark Guehi to return for next season. After taking a ton of flak "early doors" this young man has visibly grown game by game and again tonight he was superb.
    Congratulations to him for developing and improving at a very impressive rate. 
    Along with Cabango and Rodon we have 3 very high quality central defenders - and if we cash n on Rodon, then we will have the opportunity to recruit or promote Brandon Cooper.
    He’s going to be a top player 
  • Nathan Ake to Man City for £40m. That's one less club to chase our Joe.

Bournemouth supposedly still owe £80m in transfer fees to clubs, bit like us coming down except they've already got assets people seem to want. Sell Wilson and Brooks and they'll be square.
  • jasper_T said:
    Nathan Ake to Man City for £40m. That's one less club to chase our Joe.

Bournemouth supposedly still owe £80m in transfer fees to clubs, bit like us coming down except they've already got assets people seem to want. Sell Wilson and Brooks and they'll be square.
    I wouldn't worry about Rodon who has only played 50% of games in 2 seasons, I would be more concerned about Cabango  and when VDH, Wilmot goes wont leave much.

Can see offers for Roberts, Celina, with 5 out of contract leaving and only 1 out of 6 loans remaining.

The good thing is loads of clubs are struggling with finances with the virus, so those out of contract might not get the offers they want and may take a further reduction in wages and stay but looks like VDH will go abroad and possibly a newly promoted club might take Ayew as the wage wouldn't be a problem 
  • The first key issue will be dealing with who needs to play up front. Ayew (15), Brewster (10), Borja (6) and Surridge (4) are gone or likely to go. So thats 35 goals of our 62 goals likely to be gone. Plus the fact that we need another 15 goals to be automatic promotion contenders. Interestingly that leaves Wayne as our top goalscorer on 4, so depending on what happens to him that could be another 4 we lose. How about Wayne as a player/assistant coach next season?

We need a front three however they are configured who capable of 45 goals between them and we need to be better at creating chances as our goal attempts are still too low.

Also our midfielders dont contribute anything like enough goals, they need to chip in with at least 20/25 goals depending on how many there are. we are lucky currently if we get 10 goals from midfield. The rest of the goals can come from defenders.

If Brewster does come back he will get 20/25 goals a season, with the right delivery. Shame about Bournemouth as they will probably keep Surridge. I'd be happy with him back as he offers something different if alongside or subbing on for Brewster.
    garythenotrashcougarJackaremeMark_Jack_London
  • I wouldn’t worry about Bournemouth’s finances as they have a majority owner worth a pound or two... Who knows who we will have at our disposal next year and which of our own youngsters comes through but with SC and the trust others put in him to develop players it will be interesting. And I’m not sure what someone’s wages mean on our ability to get promoted. Ayew is on £95k a week, a hangover from the premier league. Doesn’t mean he can take on all comers... future looks bright with SC and Birch at the helm
  • Looks like we are going head to head with Middlesboro to sign Grant Hall from QPR.

Reasonable player, about 6ft4ins, good in the air, doesnt dive into challenges and reasonable passing stats.

He is a free agent, so subject to wages the price is right! Certainly less than the £1m-£2m he is proably worth.
  • chatz said:
    I wouldn’t worry about Bournemouth’s finances as they have a majority owner worth a pound or two... Who knows who we will have at our disposal next year and which of our own youngsters comes through but with SC and the trust others put in him to develop players it will be interesting. And I’m not sure what someone’s wages mean on our ability to get promoted. Ayew is on £95k a week, a hangover from the premier league. Doesn’t mean he can take on all comers... future looks bright with SC and Birch at the helm
    Future looks bright!!!!!!!! say that in 4 weeks or less when we know exactly how many of last nights starting eleven are still here, I reckon Bidwell, Grimes, Ghuhi Fulton. hopefully Cabango, out of the bench.  Cullen and Dhanda.  I predict, Ayew, Rodon, Celina, Roberts will be sold.  Loans apart from 1 will be sent to Premier clubs Wilmot returning to play for Watford. They will offer Routledge and Naughton 1 year reduced wage contracts. The future is anything but bright. All Coopers under 17's are either in a team or on the verge, they are all over 20 and wont be risked another season in the Championship.  Its nice to have a glass half full but lets wait to see what comes or more importantly who goes
  • Phillip said:
    chatz said:
    I wouldn’t worry about Bournemouth’s finances as they have a majority owner worth a pound or two... Who knows who we will have at our disposal next year and which of our own youngsters comes through but with SC and the trust others put in him to develop players it will be interesting. And I’m not sure what someone’s wages mean on our ability to get promoted. Ayew is on £95k a week, a hangover from the premier league. Doesn’t mean he can take on all comers... future looks bright with SC and Birch at the helm
    Future looks bright!!!!!!!! say that in 4 weeks or less when we know exactly how many of last nights starting eleven are still here, I reckon Bidwell, Grimes, Ghuhi Fulton. hopefully Cabango, out of the bench.  Cullen and Dhanda.  I predict, Ayew, Rodon, Celina, Roberts will be sold.  Loans apart from 1 will be sent to Premier clubs Wilmot returning to play for Watford. They will offer Routledge and Naughton 1 year reduced wage contracts. The future is anything but bright. All Coopers under 17's are either in a team or on the verge, they are all over 20 and wont be risked another season in the Championship.  Its nice to have a glass half full but lets wait to see what comes or more importantly who goes
    Phillip your glass has a big crack in it! You are so sure all of this is going to happen.  As you said let's wait and see what comes!