Football betting site Betway

Back to Stadia

edited November 11 in The Lounge

Two big developments in the medical field may give us all some hope of a return to the Liberty early next year. The first of the vaccines from Pfizer and probably the Oxford Vaccine are likely to be approved early in December, with major rollout starting in the UK probably early January.

Also today I believe they will be announcing the results of the UK latest 'Lateral Flow test' (effectively a pregnancy style test using saliva or simple nose swab) results, which sound optimistic giving accurate results in about 15 mins. These are apparently so simple they will soon be available for self testing. Two of these tests 5 days apart could stop the need for significant lockdowns with only positive results needing to self isolate. It would make a big impression on travel especially air travel. I understand the UK have ordered many Hundreds of Millions of these tests, they are being tested at Unis, Schools, and in Liverpool prior to being used to test Uni Students so they can safely get home for Christmas.

It would be easy to see how these could be used to get back into grounds, only the luddites who wont have a vaccine or wont let themselves be tested, wouldnt be allowed in.

By spring things could feel very different, I hope.

Armour and shield at the ready

Comments

• No armour & shield required from me JR. “BRING IT ON”. I say. Cant wait !

Since we’ve returned to playing a more attractive style of footy, I’ve really missed watching the Swans live.

• I'm probably one of the luddites you're referring to @JackRaven but if anyone seriously believes a SAFE vaccine can be produced b4 the end of this year then we are all in trouble. Just be sure to read the smallprint b4 readily accepting it. STID.

• Certainly dont need to be a luddite to be concerned about the lack of thorough testing for this vaccine. I'm not against vaccines per se, have had a few in the past but would be concerned about this one, obviously there is a vast wedge to be made getting one first to the market and as I understand it, vaccines normally take several years to be developed so it's a no from me😃

JackDragon
  • I wouldn't be taking the Russian one @Malaga - but the ones that are currently going through 3 stage testing are pretty robustly scrutinized. The Pfizer one has been (for example) tested across 6 countries and a diverse range of age and ethnicity - and has seen little or no ill effects in 44,000 subjects.

You also have to way out the risks of not taking it - as COVID needs to be capped - and getting the virus is (pardon the pun) not to be sniffed at - as it can be a very debilitating virus with potential devastating effects including (but not restricted to ) death.

• just to clarify, I was referring to the hopes of a return to the Liberty early next year, not the vaccine.

ive always said that I can’t see why they won’t allow, (as was going to happen until 2nd lockdown) a thousand people at least, into a 21,000 open air stadium,

All governments will have to eventually find, a way of socially distancing out door sporting events, until as has been said, all vaccines have been totally validated as safe to use.

As one minister has said “We have to learn how to live with the virus”

Otherwise the country goes bust.

• The vaccines will probably be the safest vaccines produced for a few reasons:

1. The largest most comprehensive vaccine trials have been organised, sadly during a pandemic is the best time to run these trials.
    2. The drug companies only have one go at the trial, they cant choose which drug trial results to show to the regulators (and which ones to quietly forget).
    3. The data from the trials is being fed to the primary regulator as it becomes available ie, before it is analysed by anyone, so the quality of the data is assured.
    4. The MHRA in this country has probably the best reputation for this type of work.

What will be interesting is what type of vaccine will each one be. We are lucky to have over 200 vaccines working through the system, with 44 in advanced drug trials, and 2 about to supply info to the regulators for approval. This is unparalleled work where effective all other drug development is on hold until this work in completed.

Vaccines can help is two ways, prevent disease development and prevent disease transmission. Ideally we need a vaccine that does both but there is no guarantee the first vaccine eg Pfizer will do both. The results so far have only spoken about disease prevention. However amongst all the vaccines being worked on there are likely to be a good spread across the requirements.

Its up to every to decide to have a vaccine or not but your conspiracy theory gene will have to be working overtime not to want the vaccine when they are available. If you are worried about the country going bust, but arent willing to get vaccinated, that is a strange view of the world.

Even without a vaccine the new lateral flow test giving a result in 15 mins, it would be possible to organise testing the crowd before entering the stadium. Entry would have to start 2-3 hours before the match, but frankly I personally think it would be worth it. Get used to having to have a regular (weekly!) test in order not be in isolation or lockdown.

• ....no view on the Russian vaccine but its interesting no data has been given to any regulator outside of Russia, so until the MHRA approve it I wont be taking that one.

• I don't get this anti vaccine brigade !!

Yes the work has been done quickly but that does not mean corners have been cut, it means the resources have been allocated (and that's all available resources, so sadly other things have been neglected).

Plus as @JackRaven said above there is plenty of people to run the trails on. Also it's not like they don't know how to make vaccines (they do we make a flu one every year) this just needed the genetic make up of the virus, which of course there is plenty of it going around to get that.

The Deputy Chief Medical Officer Jonathan Van-Tam has even said he would take it himself and recommend his mother to do so also.

I am sure there will be more data to scrutinise yet but it's the best news we have heard all year, so I applaud the Scientists for their work and hope to see it being rolled out in the very near future.

However I would also given the Russian vaccine a miss as you would really want to inject any Russian made chemicals into your body, even if Putin says its safe!!

• I resent being labelled as someone that I’m not simply because I exercise my right not to have something that other people are willing/will be willing to take. I have not needed or wanted to take any vaccines since as long as I can remember and I didn’t latch onto any conspiracy theory to inform my behaviour. It’s not for me, simple as that.

• Everyone has the right of control over their oiwn body @SeaJack - what I would observe, however, is it is not all about you. People who have no resistance/immunity to this nasty virus will continue to have the capacity to be vectors for it.

it is not the students partying with no masks that are likely to die (although there is a risk even for them) the problem is they bring it home and kill grandma.

The worst of it is that people carry this and spread it with no symptoms - and the impact on others who may be more vulnerable is profound.

• That’s fair enough Jackareme.

I’m observing the guidelines like the majority of us undoubtedly are but for me having something such as a vaccine injected into my body is simply a bridge too far.

If that decision precludes me from entering the Liberty Stadium again then it is something that I’m prepared to stomach much as it would be a depressing thought.

Jackareme
  • The last couple of exchanges between @SeaJack and @Jackareme perfectly highlight why this virus is causing so many problems in the UK.

I fully respect the right to have control of what is put into your body, however I can't understand why it's a bridge too far to potentially help protect the vulnerable but you would stomach it if it precluded you entering the Liberty Stadium.

I am sure we all want rid of this virus and normality to return and a vaccine is the best way to achieve this. Yes the vaccine needs to be safe but people need to take the vaccine or it won't achieve the desired results.

• Chris

Apologies if I am wrong but I think @Seajack is saying that he would give up going to the Liberty rather than have the vaccine. Therefore a very principled position that I respect, but don't agree with. Personally I don't want my way of living or anyone else's curtailed by avoidable restrictions.

Jackareme
  • Hi Chris - It’s very worrying that those who don’t have vaccines are now labelled anti-vaxxers and are seen as a problem. It was never an issue before this particular virus and I don’t see that being forced or pressured into having it is particularly helpful. The guidelines I’ll adhere to but having the vaccine is a personal choice and I feel should remain that way as much as is humanly possible. To go down the road of enforcement I feel sets you on a very slippery slope. Your decision to partake in having the vaccine is your decision and should be your decision alone as it should be for anyone whichever way they decide.

Malaga
  • @SeaJack I agree with 100% about personal choice and would always respect a decision taken even f I don't agree.

The problem as far as I can see is that for a vaccine to work a high percentage of the population need to take it. Hopefully the can prove the efficacy and safety of these vaccines so that enough people are willing to take so that we can get this virus und control.

I think that the reason it has not been a problem before is the way most vaccines are administered in school or in the very young (i.e Polio, TB, MMR etc) and the majority of the population just went along with them.

• Did I read 1000 Llanelli fans being allowed into Parc y Scarlet this weekend?

• no , Scarlets are playing away at the Kingspan ,

Irish government decision .

• Chris - I appreciate the appreciation you have for the rights of the individual to have freedom of choice in these sorts of matters.

I remember having the booster jab way back when I was in school and although I didn’t suffer any ill side effects my stance since then has been that I wouldn’t want to have anything injected into me if it wasn’t entirely necessary and if I could help it.

I’m sure that, should the vaccine prove effective it will be just the thing for those in the vulnerable groups. As far as I’m aware I’m not currently someone who can be classed as vulnerable in that respect and I suppose that has a bearing on my decision making at the moment.